Hendon Hooker

Adoni Beast

Sign a veteran …

draft this stud in the second round …

let him develop for a year or two.

• No real competition threat to whatever vet we sign for 2023
  • Give him time to learn and heal from injury
  • Develop this kid the right way, big, strong, tough, accurate, can run and we could have a superstar on our hands

• Upvote 4
  • Ugh 1

On 12/24/2022 at 8:13 PM, T0mShane said:

Only drawback is that he’s going to be 25 years old when he’s drafted.

The other big drawback is the system Tennessee runs has roots in the system that Baylor ran when they were churning out the Bryce Petty’s of the world. Very QB friendly in a way that doesn’t necessarily translate to what guys are going to be asked to do in the pros.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, derp said:

The other big drawback is the system Tennessee runs has roots in the system that Baylor ran when they were churning out the Bryce Petty’s of the world. Very QB friendly in a way that doesn’t necessarily translate to what guys are going to be asked to do in the pros.

Not challenging, just curious, I thought Heupel grew up under Stoops, played for him and coached for him?   Essentially a scaled down version of the the Fun and Gun spread that Spurrier ran which essentially proved, you didnt really need some ridiculous talent at QB ie; Heupel and Wuerffel winning Naty's and Heisman's (runner up for Heupel).  Probably some similar roots to Briles but I thought he ran heavier RPO packages vs. a pure spread.

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

Not challenging, just curious, I thought Heupel grew up under Stoops, played for him and coached for him?   Essentially a scaled down version of the the Fun and Gun spread that Spurrier ran which essentially proved, you didnt really need some ridiculous talent at QB ie; Heupel and Wuerffel winning Naty's and Heisman's (runner up for Heupel).  Probably some similar roots to Briles but I thought he ran heavier RPO packages vs. a pure spread.

I think it’s a mix of a bunch of different stuff, definitely more RPO than Baylor and a different run game, so I absolutely oversimplified. That said, in the context of evaluating Hooker those really wide WR splits and simple reads have Briles roots. There was an Athletic draft podcast that did a much better job than I would discussing how the system impacts his evaluation, and also how Heupel ended up mixing the Baylor stuff into his scheme.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, derp said:

I think it’s a mix of a bunch of different stuff, definitely more RPO than Baylor and a different run game, so I absolutely oversimplified. That said, in the context of evaluating Hooker those really wide WR splits and simple reads have Briles roots. There was an Athletic draft podcast that did a much better job than I would discussing how the system impacts his evaluation, and also how Heupel ended up mixing the Baylor stuff into his scheme.

True, for sure, the slant you to death and call a play ever 20 seconds is very similar to those Briles teams that made RGIII the #2 overall and Hooker has some similar characteristic w/ his accuracy and mobility. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JiFields said:

True, for sure, the slant you to death and call a play ever 20 seconds is very similar to those Briles teams that made RGIII the #2 overall and Hooker has some similar characteristic w/ his accuracy and mobility. 

Quarterback evaluation is just so complicated. There’s competition, scheme, reads, etc. I worry with Hooker that easy reads don’t translate super well to the next level and being as old as he is doesn’t lead to a ton of development time.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, derp said:

Quarterback evaluation is just so complicated. There’s competition, scheme, reads, etc. I worry with Hooker that easy reads don’t translate super well to the next level and being as old as he is doesn’t lead to a ton of development time.

I respect that for sure, but you have to appreciate what he's done vs. some of the best D's in the SEC.  He's has completely balled out in clutch fashion vs. the likes of Bama and Kentucky when they were top 10 D's in the entire country.  Struggled a bit vs. Georgia but I mean, that program is never losing again, so those match ups have to be graded on a slight curve.  IMO he's a great 4th round development pick.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, derp said:

Good points and I think he would need to sit for a year or two (will need to for at least 1 year regardless due to injury) but I think the payoff will be worth it in the end.

I can see him falling to the 3rd and if so we should trade up early and get him.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, JiFields said:

I respect that for sure, but you have to appreciate what he's done vs. some of the best D's in the SEC.  He's has completely balled out in clutch fashion vs. the likes of Bama and Kentucky when they were top 10 D's in the entire country.  Struggled a bit vs. Georgia but I mean, that program is never losing again, so those match ups have to be graded on a slight curve.  IMO he's a great 4th round development pick.

Absolutely. It’s a little weird drafting a 25 year old who needs development time based on traits to me, I’m not saying he’s a complete avoid, but he’s also getting some second round love places. There’s a space for a productive 25 year old with tools who is coming from a scheme that doesn’t translate, where exactly that spot would be is something for smarter people than me.

It’ll be interesting how the next QB up (I presume Milton) plays against Clemson in the bowl game. Imagine both teams will be missing guys but the plug and play factor at least tells something about scheme versus individual. Small sample of course.

• Upvote 1

Being a Volunteer fan I've watched this kids every game. He is the real deal. He broke records set by Peyton Manning, Heath Shuler, and Tee Martin, 3 of the best QBs in UT history. One record he broke stood for 29 years. Kids a winner and has all the tools. Only the knee worries me.

• Upvote 3

On 12/26/2022 at 11:08 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not a huge fan of QBs from the Briles' tree. One read guys who only look at half the field. Think athletic Bryce Petty.

I wouldn't freak out if we drafted him but it's a very gimmicky offense designed to exploit the wide hash marks in college football.

Still there's a great chance he'd be better right now than ZW, JF, or CS. Lol

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Kinda feel like that's more of a positive now for a QB. Just being more mature will help his growth. Obviously you get less years out of him but still not bad. 

Good point. He seems to be a mature kid and a good leader.

If he plays for 5-6 years then it is what it is.

• Upvote 1

Highlights are great, but that is why they are highlights. I'd like to see:

1) his 10 worst plays

2) short throws - i.e. checkdowns/screen passes/bubble screens/swing passes

3) intermediate throws - i.e. crossing patters/outs/hooks/hitting the TE on a post between the LB and S to beat a Tampa 2 zone

4) timing and anticipation throws - i.e. quick slants, back shoulder, red zone corner route

5) him taking it in the ear in order to deliver a pass

I like Hooker, mainly because he may be a "top 10" talent that is available in the 3rd round due to his age and the injury.  Personally im not worried about the age, even if you also lose 2023 to the injury.  He would still be a 26 year old starter in 2024 and best case you get 9 years of a good starter if the pick hits - ill take that.

Hooker could also help overall roster management.  Our QB room will be very interesting with Zach likely being inactive to start the season, so you can IR Hooker and either keep him out all year or if someone gets hurt, get him onto the 53 so he can practice and get reps late in the season so he doesnt lose 15 months of football from a timing perspective. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/29/2022 at 8:21 AM, BCJet said:

I like Hooker, mainly because he may be a "top 10" talent that is available in the 3rd round due to his age and the injury.  Personally im not worried about the age, even if you also lose 2023 to the injury.  He would still be a 26 year old starter in 2024 and best case you get 9 years of a good starter if the pick hits - ill take that.

Hooker could also help overall roster management.  Our QB room will be very interesting with Zach likely being inactive to start the season, so you can IR Hooker and either keep him out all year or if someone gets hurt, get him onto the 53 so he can practice and get reps late in the season so he doesnt lose 15 months of football from a timing perspective. 

I agree. I am officially on the Hooker train. Especially if he somehow slides to Rd. 3 or the bottom of Rd. 2 (I would even move up to get him).

I watch him play and I don't think he will have that much trouble playing in a different system. He has great pocket presence, goes through his progressions, he is decisive when it comes to running with the ball and good awareness in the pocket. He also has tools that will help him at the next level when things break down- size, speed, athleticism, big arm, etc.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I believe he is going to go in the first round and whoever grabs him there won't regret it. He is everything ZW isn't. Played against top competition, can sling it with accuracy. Stays in the pocket. Can run. Message to Woody...move on from Rodgers and take this kid at 13. Otherwise you'll see him in New England at #14..

Why this degree of love?  He’s a year older than Zach Wilson.  Today. 

8 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Why this degree of love?  He’s a year older than Zach Wilson.  Today. 

His stock is moving up amongst teams for good reason. I watched him all season, you have to see him play...suggest you watch his videos and see why. The age thing is a benefit as we saw the immaturity of ZW. and it's consequences. Enough of these 20 year old QBs starting in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

His stock is moving up amongst teams for good reason. I watched him all season, you have to see him play...suggest you watch his videos and see why. The age thing is a benefit as we saw the immaturity of ZW. and it's consequences. Enough of these 20 year old QBs starting in the NFL. 

If you and others see something so be it.  

If it takes him 2 years - he’s 27.   50/50 shot to make it?  Worse?

A first round pick seems crazy - unless you see something that says he’s worth breaking all the rules. 

I just watched a couple minutes, so I’m not  pretending to have a great read.   The age and “developmental” tag screams not 1st round pick to me.  I don’t even like the 2nd round for that.

14 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

A first round pick seems crazy - unless you see something that says he’s worth breaking all the rules. 

I just watched a couple minutes, so I’m not  pretending to have a great read.   The age and “developmental” tag screams not 1st round pick to me.  I don’t even like the 2nd round for that.

What didn't you like?

9 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

What didn't you like?

Nothing I didn’t like.  He threw to open guys who were open when he threw.  Nice throws.  Nothing wrong with that but it didn’t scream “NFL ready”.  Maybe there is more of that on other plays?

He seems to have a nice arm and moved really well.  I see the tools that have him moving up.   Too rich for my blood in the 1st round based on a couple minutes.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Nothing I didn’t like.  He threw to open guys who were open when he threw.  Nice throws.  Nothing wrong with that but it didn’t scream “NFL ready”.  Maybe there is more of that on other plays?

He seems to have a nice arm and moved really well.  I see the tools that have him moving up.   Too rich for my blood in the 1st round based on a couple minutes.

It's hard for me imagine an OT, which is what many are predicting the Jets will draft at #13, having a bigger impact upon the team than Hooker. IMO, he is far more developed and "NFL ready" than ZW at this point, who most likely will get playing time for yet another season should Rodgers get hurt at some point if they make this disastrous trade for him.

This guy is electric. Keep the draft picks, get Hooker and get him some weapons and protection.  We need a QB that can challenge Buffalo, Cincy and KC.

4 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

It's hard for me imagine an OT, which is what many are predicting the Jets will draft at #13, having a bigger impact upon the team than Hooker. IMO, he is far more developed and "NFL ready" than ZW at this point, who most likely will get playing time for yet another season should Rodgers get hurt at some point if they make this disastrous trade for him.

This guy is electric. Keep the draft picks, get Hooker and get him some weapons and protection.  We need a QB that can challenge Buffalo, Cincy and KC.

Depends what the Jets think.  Zach looked better in his first couple games than he looked last year.  

If JD thinks he got good coaching and development he’s willing to cut ties.

On 4/4/2023 at 6:30 PM, Hal N of Provo said:

Couple thoughts here on Hooker.

First, age wise - his birthday is in January and he just turned 25, so if he really did sit and develop behind rogers for a year he would be 26 on opening day 2024.  If he was successful and wound up being a "10 year starter", he would still only be 35 in this "10th year".  I just dont see how that is such a big deal. 

As far as the player on the filed,  he played in a version of the air raid at tennessee and used a lot of no huddle so he would need time to sit and learn (while also rehabbing his knee).  He has not been asked to go through NFL level progressions but does protect the ball very well as far as Ints.  He also started 37 career games, so there is a lot of experience for him to lean on, even if it wasnt in pro-style systems.

To me I cant see how he is more or less of a risk then AR and Levis but is going to go between 10-30 picks after these guys.   I personally think JD will aim to stack the roster around Rogers for the 2023 season, but it would be really intriguing if we did trade back and somehow hooker was the guy at the end of the first/top of the 2nd round.