Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Nah it's the soon to be 1st that's a disaster.

The conditions are way too easily met and gives this deal serious bust potential. You know that Rodgers will play regardless of how we're doing as Saleh/Douglas' fate is tied to him. 

This is a guy who showed serious decline last year for whatever reason, was completely done with the Packers and he was 90% retired a few months ago. We still gave up a 1st and a 2nd. Brutal. 

The future first is absolutely as stupid as anything Idzik or Maccagnan did. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or, Rodgers gets away from a guy he hated in Gutenkunst, Saleh lets him and Hackett make up plays in the dirt, they have a reasonably good run through the AFC east, and Rodgers gives us another year because he’s the king of the franchise and wants to bury Green Bay. Regardless, if Rodgers plays most of the year, the 2024 pick is mid-20’s and you weren’t sniffing a QB1 anyway.

You get the maximum amount of national games, sell out the stadium, sell all kinds of Rodgers Jerseys, Have a promising season to look forward to...  Oh, and a pissed off AROD....

• Upvote 1

If the Jets are not at least 5-4 at game 9 with Rodgers playing, I would shut him down.

2024's first round pick should have been contingent on at least a playoff victory.  

JD blinked here.  If the Jets do not get at least a long playoff run this year, JD and Saleh are toast after this year.

The draft will be focused on filling holes.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Congrats @ptisme, that's more value then most of us would have like to give up. I would have been ok if the condition for next year was making the playoffs. In the end, you were spot on the other day when you said GB shouldn't beat the risk of the team stinking around rodgers.

Congrats to you as well..   It was a bit more than you and I worked out.   Looking forward to rooting for the Jets this year as my second favorite team.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, ptisme said:

As a person who has watched every snap Rodgers has ever played I would bet my house that Rodgers will be good.

I don't disagree. I mean, I'm hoping we get "revenge tour MVP" Aaron Rodgers.

I'm just saying that if halfway through the season we're 2-7 and he's looks kind of washed you 100% bench him and hope that pick turns into Caleb Williams.

21 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

At that point a competent owner would step and ensure Rodgers sits, probably have to fire them mid-season for that. 

We know that wont happen. Rodgers will be shut down if he sucks but the worst case scenario is that he plays at a similar level to last season and the Jets win 8 games. 

Except if he had played at a similar level to last year on the 2022 Jets they'd have probably won at least 10 games. 

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't disagree. I mean, I'm hoping we get "revenge tour MVP" Aaron Rodgers.

I'm just saying that if halfway through the season we're 2-7 and he's looks kind of washed you 100% bench him and hope that pick turns into Caleb Williams.

If we are 2-7 to start the year, any decisions Saleh or JD make at that point are going to be to the benefit or detriment of their replacements - because those guys are 100% getting fired. LOL

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

If we are 2-7 to start the year, any decisions Saleh or JD make at that point are going to be to the benefit or detriment of their replacements - because those guys are 100% getting fired. LOL

Probably true but given Woody was the one hesitant to give up the future first you'd imagine he's stepping in.

• Upvote 1

It’s the trade compensation that we have been talking about for 452 pages. The trade happens  and now the trade sucks. I get it if you didn’t want him in the first place. You get a pass. But if you wanted him, we got him. Let’s celebrate.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I may have joined this form before you were born ? 

Wasn’t a personal attack was just saying the NFL works as one man it’s been obvious from the beginning of time all 32 teams and owners do what’s in the best interest of the shield.

Got done today and that's all that matters..  Guess that report yesterday about this happening today WAS legit!

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My first thought is that maybe Rodgers and the Packers tweaked the contract to make it more favorable for everybody and we made some concessions for it.

It better be something like that, because Pellisearo suggested that maybe it is the other way around and Rodgers revised contract helps the Packers 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

How many picks the Jets have in this draft now? 4? 

Joe Douglas will be trading back for a mofo. 

No first round picks for the Jets! He'll convert that into a 2nd and future 2nd or something, since he gave away another pick next years after coughing up three this  year. 

Kind of got punked; surprising for a big bald guy.  Maybe they only stuck it in halfway. 

For what they gave up it makes me wonder if the niners actually were waiting in the wings.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not in the mid-20s, but it could have been part of a package to trade up, or traded down to add extra picks in 2025. The one thing that was palatable to me about this whole mess was the fact that whatever we had to give up this offseason, Rodgers had the Packers over such a barrel that he could be had without mortgaging the future. Instead we have basically zero realistic possibility of acquiring a decent QB next offseason, and diminished odds of doing so the following offseason. I guess this is as good a time as any to raise the very real possibility that rather than a worldwide revenge tour, Rodgers’s 2023 looks a lot like Russell Wilson’s 2022, in which case the franchise is at the bottom of a well for the next, what, four years?

I’d just counter this by saying we had no path to a big QB next offseason anyway. Nobody was letting us trade up from the 20’s to #1 or 2 with Maye and Williams available, and mucking through a season of Zach/Mayfield or Zach/Brissett just to be in position to draft next year’s Will Levis seems unpalatable. And in the unlikely event his play falls off a cliff Russell Wilson-style, the Jets will bench him at 2-7 and keep their 2024 first anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

It better be something like that, because Pellisearo suggested that maybe it is the other way around and Rodgers revised contract helps the Packers 

With this trade taking place the Packers now have just enough cap space to sign their draft picks.   There is zero chance the Packers are taking on more of his contract this season.

18 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Nah it's the soon to be 1st that's a disaster.

The conditions are way too easily met and gives this deal serious bust potential. You know that Rodgers will play regardless of how we're doing as Saleh/Douglas' fate is tied to him. 

This is a guy who showed serious decline last year for whatever reason, was completely done with the Packers and he was 90% retired a few months ago. We still gave up a 1st and a 2nd. Brutal. 

He completed 65% of his passes for 3,700 yards, 26 TDs, 12 INTs, throwing to two rookie wideouts behind a graveyard OL. 

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is a bad joke, right

The Broncos had to keep playing Russell Wilson because they’re paying him the max through 2025. The Jets would have no reason to let Rodgers hold them hostage if he fell off the Russell Wilson cliff, which is exceedingly unlikely in the first place