News from around the league

nycdan

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just crazy, the guy has like 13 starts and is not a good passer.  I mean if you are a guy that likes to win 4 games with a running qb like fields that cant throw well, fine.

He's boom or bust, no doubt. I think Seattle is the perfect landing spot for him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm not disputing they could be trading up to get him, I'm saying it will be an utterly monumentally stupid trade, as in one of the dumbest ever.

It's boom or bust 100% but I guarantee Reich watched the combine and is thinking "I can mold this guy into the best" 

It wouldn't shock me if they run it back with Sam as the bridge. 

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

It's boom or bust 100% but I guarantee Reich watched the combine and is thinking "I can mold this guy into the best" 

It wouldn't shock me if they run it back with Sam as the bridge. 

Trading that amount of assets for a boom bust guy is crazy, especially when there are at least two totally legit franchise guys next year minimum.  This guy will suck and then everyone will be killing the panthers for not providing him with weaponzzz.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Trading that amount of assets for a boom bust guy is crazy, especially when there are at least two totally legit franchise guys next year minimum.  This guy will suck and then everyone will be killing the panthers for not providing him with weaponzzz.

This has got us into trouble in the past. We took Jamal over Mahomes or Watson, in part, because of the appeal of the 2018 QB class with Baker, Lamar, Allen, Rosen, and Darnold

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

This has got us into trouble in the past. We took Jamal over Mahomes or Watson, in part, because of the appeal of the 2018 QB class with Baker, Lamar, Allen, Rosen, and Darnold

I still dispute this line of thinking though I've heard it repeated often, if the Jets do not take Hackenbrug the year before they might go for a QB.

In any case Mahomes and Watson went to partially or fully built teams.  Our total Qb failures have gone to the jets when they ave too many holes, the one guy that did have success even if he was no good, (sanchez) went to a built team.

When you talked about wagers, I'd make a huge wager that Richardson is not going to be anywhere near watson or mahommes.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, section314 said:

That would imply the compensation is probably agreed upon. then?

I honestly don’t know. I’m torn up by all the semantics. Are the Jets stalling, is Rodgers stalling, are they trying to get GB to pick up some last minute money? I haven’t gotten any concrete leaks on that front

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

I honestly don’t know. I’m torn up by all the semantics. Are the Jets stalling, is Rodgers stalling, are they trying to get GB to pick up some last minute money? I haven’t gotten any concrete leaks on that front

Looks like Monday update at the earliest.

Will Smith Best Gif GIF

1 hour ago, football guy said:

we better not be stalling. FA starts in a few days and even though i dont want Jimmy i think you said he is our plan B? well i heard today there are 2-3 teams who are going for him including LV. and there is no guarantee he picks us, he has a connection to McDaniels too.

we have no leverage.  were running out of time. by next week QBs will be coming off the board. if this doesnt get done by Monday we have to move on

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

we better not be stalling. FA starts in a few days and even though i dont want Jimmy i think you said he is our plan B? well i heard today there are 2-3 teams who are going for him including LV. and there is no guarantee he picks us, he has a connection to McDaniels too.

we have no leverage.  were running out of time. by next week QBs will be coming off the board. if this doesnt get done by Monday we have to move on

Just playing devil’s advocate here, but the Jets know that the Packers don’t want Rodgers back. And if they didn’t, Murphy made that abundantly clear tonight. The market for him is oddly non-existent because there is only one team in the NFL who is ready to go all-in on a Super Bowl run while being arguably a QB away from doing so: the Jets. The rest of the teams in need of QBs are at a cross roads and are looking to start from scratch, with exception to MIA (just committed to Tua) and SF (for various reasons not interested). 

Although the Jets have no leverage, neither do the Packers. So we’re at a stalemate. If Rodgers indicated to the Jets privately that he’s returning and will accept a trade, the Jets can wait and try to get the Packers to accept their terms- knowing that when push comes to shove they’ll eventually cave. And the Packers likely know the same. 

For the record I’m just grasping for straws here because I just can’t seem to understand why the Jets are so confident unless they know something everyone else doesn’t

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Just playing devil’s advocate here, but the Jets know that the Packers don’t want Rodgers back. And if they didn’t, Murphy made that abundantly clear tonight. The market for him is oddly non-existent because there is only one team in the NFL who is ready to go all-in on a Super Bowl run while being arguably a QB away from doing so: the Jets. The rest of the teams in need of QBs are at a cross roads and are looking to start from scratch, with exception to MIA (just committed to Tua) and SF (for various reasons not interested). 

Although the Jets have no leverage, neither do the Packers. So we’re at a stalemate. If Rodgers indicated to the Jets privately that he’s returning and will accept a trade, the Jets can wait and try to get the Packers to accept their terms- knowing that when push comes to shove they’ll eventually cave. And the Packers likely know the same. 

For the record I’m just grasping for straws here because I just can’t seem to understand why the Jets are so confident unless they know something everyone else doesn’t

Rodgers is toying with Green Bay. When he tires of the fun, he makes it official.

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Either that or they have a doozy of a plan B.

JD has some weaknesses as a GM, among them assessing QB talent.  But he's got a knack for measuring his opponent's strengths and weaknesses when it comes to trades.  I'll take him 10 out of 10 times when there's a Mexican standoff over players and/or picks...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Either that or they have a doozy of a plan B.

It’s sounding more and more like he is plan A-Z since their meeting. If they’re operating as if it will get done and don’t seem to feel pressured to rush it through, that tells me they understand that Aaron’s on board and have a sense that when push comes to shove it will get completed. If it’s not that and it’s just Aaron trying to decide whether to retire or not and they stick the course anyway, then they’re purely gambling and possibly misjudging Aaron’s interest… very risky and negligent 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

for arguments sake lets say that Rodgers doesnt want to come here. and like you said there is no market for him. then what? the cap hit it would cost to cut him wouldnt be worth it they might as well roll with him for another year. and even if that was an option it would benefit them to do it after June 1. 

cant trust Rodgers. he could say yes today and change his mind in a few weeks. if Rodgers says yes you got to make the deal now.

idk man this is taking too long. Rodgers is holding this up. if he really wanted out he wouldnt have to go to some retreat to think about it. people who are conflicted about what they want do that. maybe he is waiting to see if maybe another team wants him.

i think were going to get really screwed. 

• Thumb Down 1