Bob McGinns QB preview via NFL scouts

Matt39

Quarterbacks 

Bryce Young, Alabama (5-10, 204): Backed up Mac Jones in 2020, won the Heisman Trophy in ’21 and displayed come-from-behind magic in ’22. “Just put the Texas game on,” one scout said. “He won the Texas game by himself. That’s the thing Brett Favre had over many, many others: he could bring his team from behind in college. In college, he did it repeatedly. This is a phenomenal kid. Other than small, that’s the only knock he has. He’s smart as sh*t, a natural passer, can run. He’s got all the intangibles. I’d take Bryce Young (with the No. 1 pick) if I was the Bears.” Measured 5-10 1/8 at the combine; in 2012, Russell Wilson was 5-10 5/8 and 205 before being drafted in the third round by Seattle. “He and Wilson are the same types of guys,” another scout said. “Really smart players. Competitors. When the game’s on the line they make plays. (Young) makes great decisions. Stays in the pocket but has the athletic ability to get outside and make plays if he has to. Only negative is his size.” For his size, his hands measured a large 9 ¾. “He’s got it all,” said a third scout. “He’s just little so if you take him you’ve got to live with it. Everybody’s pretty much hurt nowadays, no matter what your size is. Josh Allen gets hurt and he’s a giant. He has the anticipation, the vision, the arm is live.” Those that have watched Young from the sidelines marvel at his ability to see through the trees. “He never really has any balls batted at the line of scrimmage,” a fourth scout said. “Some of the throws he makes, it’s, like, ‘How did he see that guy?’ Anticipatory thrower. Strong enough arm. He’s like the ultimate point guard of an offense.”

C.J. Stroud, Ohio State (6-3, 214): Like Young, he’s a third-year junior. “Reminds me of (Patrick) Mahomes. First time I ever compared anybody to Mahomes,” said one scout. “He’s about the same size as Mahomes (6-2, 225); Mahomes ran a 4.8 (4.81) but I think this guy might be a little bit faster. If I was Chicago I’d trade (Justin) Fields and take this guy.” Stroud’s performance in the CFP semifinals “was one of the best performances I’ve seen,” the scout continued. “He was missing a first-round running back (TreVeyon Henderson) and his first-round receiver (Marvin Harrison) got hurt in the third quarter. He just put them on his back. You look at that Georgia game, you can see he can play outside the pocket, too.” Two-time Heisman finalist. “What did he do all the way up to that (Georgia) game?” a second scout said. “He’s like that guy the Bears got (Fields). He’s a better athlete than he is a quarterback. He’s not a good enough passer to last.” Compared by a third scout to the late Dwayne Haskins, the former Buckeyes quarterback drafted No. 15 by Washington in 2019. “I don’t like bringing that up but he’s Haskins,” said a third scout. “Haskins might have been better than this guy. It was the off-the-field stuff with Haskins, the (lack of) work ethic. People say, ‘Don’t compare Ohio State quarterbacks.’ No, there are comparisons to be made. They run the same offense and they’re very programmed. One read. Stroud’s very deliberate, very streaky. He’s not a playmaker when he has to get out of trouble. He played 30 other games besides the Georgia game. Where had it been? … This guy is a very quiet, introverted personality. He’s going to be a top-5 pick and he is not a top-5 pick.” Hands were 10.

Will Levis, Kentucky (6-4, 229): Earned a degree in finance after three seasons as the backup at Penn State. Posted a 17-7 record in two years as the starter for the Wildcats. “You have to watch ’21 tape on him,” one scout said. “(Last year) wasn’t very good. He had a crap offensive line and young receivers. He had a new offensive coordinator. Not trying to make excuses for him. He’s got a strong arm. Good athlete. Needs to show better touch at times. There’s just something off in his game this year. He’s got to cut down on his interceptions and use better decision-making. He opted out of their bowl game supposedly because of his toe. He didn’t show up for the Senior Bowl. Those are red flags. He’s got a lot to prove everybody wrong.” Didn’t run at the combine but did well in the vertical jump (34) and broad jump (10-4). “He is physically talented, has good mechanics and has a good arm,” said a second scout. “He’ll be 24 his first NFL season. Mainly a pocket passer. Threw a lot of interceptions (25 career). He doesn’t excite me that much.” Earned a master’s degrees in December. “He has no feel at all,” a third scout said. “No vision, no pocket poise. He has no clue the rush is coming and he gets wrecked in there. He’s one read. Not accurate. He does have a live arm. Wonderful. He doesn’t escape pressure. Tons of injuries. He’s a project.” Hands were 10 5/8. Wonderlic of 29 in 2022.

Anthony Richardson, Florida (6-4, 244): Redshirted in 2019, backed up for two years and started in 2022. “Florida had a bad season, and this guy was the reason they had a bad season,” said one scout. “He was so inconsistent. But at the combine he’ll have the strongest arm there and people will get all excited about him. He’ll be a workout wonder.” Richardson posted numbers seldom, if ever posted in a workout by a quarterback: a 4.43 40, a 40 ½ vertical jump and a 10-9 broad jump. “He’s a raw athlete,” a second scout said. “He’s got a little Vince Young in him. I’m sure he’s a better kid, and smarter. He’s a freak athlete but he’s a long way away as an NFL passer. I mean, a long way away. You’re rolling some big dice if you take him in the first round, or you have a lot of rocks in your head.” Made the All-SEC academic team. “He cannot play quarterback,” said a third scout. “He is as raw as raw can be. His delivery is like he’s never thrown a football before. He’s not accurate. He’ll have a couple wow plays just running around but he isn’t even that special running around. He doesn’t know when to run and when not to run. Ten times he just chucks it up into coverage against the one time it actually looks good. Guys like this don’t change.” Hands were 10 ½.

Hendon Hooker, Tennessee (6-3, 217): Turned 25 in January after spending four years at Virginia Tech and two in Knoxville. “The guy knows how to play,” said one scout. “Poise, command, quick eyes, vision. He’s accurate. He’s got touch. His arm is good. He’s a good enough athlete. Little awkward the way he runs. He can get out of trouble. He has a better football mind and vision than Stroud. He’s better short-to-intermediate; sometimes deep stuff gets him. By no means is he a franchise-changer. But he’s going to be a solid starter.” Started 15 of 19 games for the Hokies in 2019-’20. At Tennessee, he replaced Joe Milton early in 2021 and posted a 15-7 record in his 22 starts. “He really came on this year,” a second scout said. “He became more of a pocket guy this year. His game is still outside the pocket. Physically gifted, strong arm. His touch was just OK. With the knee he’ll probably miss the first part of the season.” Suffered a torn left ACL Nov. 19 at South Carolina. Was a 1,000-point scorer in basketball as a prep in Greensboro, N.C. Hands were 10 ½.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Feels like Hooker is going to be a day 2 steal, but on the other hand RODGERS RODGERS RODGERS so who gives a sh*t who plays QB for this team in 2024 and beyond

Like him too. Always played well when I saw him. He did suck against Georgia tho 

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Hooker is the only guy I’d think about drafting and I’d only do that if we somehow acquired a 3rd rounder in a way. Not spend a 2nd on him.

Crazy that Zach Wilson is 20 months younger than him still. Obviously resetting the rookie contract deal is big. But to think how Wilson can develop behind AR for 2 years and still only be Hookers age in what would be his 5th season is crazy.

I can't see the Jets using any meaningful asset on a QB. 1) Rodgers is literally trying to escape that mindset in GB and 2) The Jets should give their full developmental focus on Zach behind the scenes to determine if the 5th year option is worth it.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Quarterbacks 

Bryce Young, Alabama (5-10, 204): Backed up Mac Jones in 2020, won the Heisman Trophy in ’21 and displayed come-from-behind magic in ’22. “Just put the Texas game on,” one scout said. “He won the Texas game by himself. That’s the thing Brett Favre had over many, many others: he could bring his team from behind in college. In college, he did it repeatedly. This is a phenomenal kid. Other than small, that’s the only knock he has. He’s smart as sh*t, a natural passer, can run. He’s got all the intangibles. I’d take Bryce Young (with the No. 1 pick) if I was the Bears.” Measured 5-10 1/8 at the combine; in 2012, Russell Wilson was 5-10 5/8 and 205 before being drafted in the third round by Seattle. “He and Wilson are the same types of guys,” another scout said. “Really smart players. Competitors. When the game’s on the line they make plays. (Young) makes great decisions. Stays in the pocket but has the athletic ability to get outside and make plays if he has to. Only negative is his size.” For his size, his hands measured a large 9 ¾. “He’s got it all,” said a third scout. “He’s just little so if you take him you’ve got to live with it. Everybody’s pretty much hurt nowadays, no matter what your size is. Josh Allen gets hurt and he’s a giant. He has the anticipation, the vision, the arm is live.” Those that have watched Young from the sidelines marvel at his ability to see through the trees. “He never really has any balls batted at the line of scrimmage,” a fourth scout said. “Some of the throws he makes, it’s, like, ‘How did he see that guy?’ Anticipatory thrower. Strong enough arm. He’s like the ultimate point guard of an offense.”

C.J. Stroud, Ohio State (6-3, 214): Like Young, he’s a third-year junior. “Reminds me of (Patrick) Mahomes. First time I ever compared anybody to Mahomes,” said one scout. “He’s about the same size as Mahomes (6-2, 225); Mahomes ran a 4.8 (4.81) but I think this guy might be a little bit faster. If I was Chicago I’d trade (Justin) Fields and take this guy.” Stroud’s performance in the CFP semifinals “was one of the best performances I’ve seen,” the scout continued. “He was missing a first-round running back (TreVeyon Henderson) and his first-round receiver (Marvin Harrison) got hurt in the third quarter. He just put them on his back. You look at that Georgia game, you can see he can play outside the pocket, too.” Two-time Heisman finalist. “What did he do all the way up to that (Georgia) game?” a second scout said. “He’s like that guy the Bears got (Fields). He’s a better athlete than he is a quarterback. He’s not a good enough passer to last.” Compared by a third scout to the late Dwayne Haskins, the former Buckeyes quarterback drafted No. 15 by Washington in 2019. “I don’t like bringing that up but he’s Haskins,” said a third scout. “Haskins might have been better than this guy. It was the off-the-field stuff with Haskins, the (lack of) work ethic. People say, ‘Don’t compare Ohio State quarterbacks.’ No, there are comparisons to be made. They run the same offense and they’re very programmed. One read. Stroud’s very deliberate, very streaky. He’s not a playmaker when he has to get out of trouble. He played 30 other games besides the Georgia game. Where had it been? … This guy is a very quiet, introverted personality. He’s going to be a top-5 pick and he is not a top-5 pick.” Hands were 10.

Will Levis, Kentucky (6-4, 229): Earned a degree in finance after three seasons as the backup at Penn State. Posted a 17-7 record in two years as the starter for the Wildcats. “You have to watch ’21 tape on him,” one scout said. “(Last year) wasn’t very good. He had a crap offensive line and young receivers. He had a new offensive coordinator. Not trying to make excuses for him. He’s got a strong arm. Good athlete. Needs to show better touch at times. There’s just something off in his game this year. He’s got to cut down on his interceptions and use better decision-making. He opted out of their bowl game supposedly because of his toe. He didn’t show up for the Senior Bowl. Those are red flags. He’s got a lot to prove everybody wrong.” Didn’t run at the combine but did well in the vertical jump (34) and broad jump (10-4). “He is physically talented, has good mechanics and has a good arm,” said a second scout. “He’ll be 24 his first NFL season. Mainly a pocket passer. Threw a lot of interceptions (25 career). He doesn’t excite me that much.” Earned a master’s degrees in December. “He has no feel at all,” a third scout said. “No vision, no pocket poise. He has no clue the rush is coming and he gets wrecked in there. He’s one read. Not accurate. He does have a live arm. Wonderful. He doesn’t escape pressure. Tons of injuries. He’s a project.” Hands were 10 5/8. Wonderlic of 29 in 2022.

Anthony Richardson, Florida (6-4, 244): Redshirted in 2019, backed up for two years and started in 2022. “Florida had a bad season, and this guy was the reason they had a bad season,” said one scout. “He was so inconsistent. But at the combine he’ll have the strongest arm there and people will get all excited about him. He’ll be a workout wonder.” Richardson posted numbers seldom, if ever posted in a workout by a quarterback: a 4.43 40, a 40 ½ vertical jump and a 10-9 broad jump. “He’s a raw athlete,” a second scout said. “He’s got a little Vince Young in him. I’m sure he’s a better kid, and smarter. He’s a freak athlete but he’s a long way away as an NFL passer. I mean, a long way away. You’re rolling some big dice if you take him in the first round, or you have a lot of rocks in your head.” Made the All-SEC academic team. “He cannot play quarterback,” said a third scout. “He is as raw as raw can be. His delivery is like he’s never thrown a football before. He’s not accurate. He’ll have a couple wow plays just running around but he isn’t even that special running around. He doesn’t know when to run and when not to run. Ten times he just chucks it up into coverage against the one time it actually looks good. Guys like this don’t change.” Hands were 10 ½.

Hendon Hooker, Tennessee (6-3, 217): Turned 25 in January after spending four years at Virginia Tech and two in Knoxville. “The guy knows how to play,” said one scout. “Poise, command, quick eyes, vision. He’s accurate. He’s got touch. His arm is good. He’s a good enough athlete. Little awkward the way he runs. He can get out of trouble. He has a better football mind and vision than Stroud. He’s better short-to-intermediate; sometimes deep stuff gets him. By no means is he a franchise-changer. But he’s going to be a solid starter.” Started 15 of 19 games for the Hokies in 2019-’20. At Tennessee, he replaced Joe Milton early in 2021 and posted a 15-7 record in his 22 starts. “He really came on this year,” a second scout said. “He became more of a pocket guy this year. His game is still outside the pocket. Physically gifted, strong arm. His touch was just OK. With the knee he’ll probably miss the first part of the season.” Suffered a torn left ACL Nov. 19 at South Carolina. Was a 1,000-point scorer in basketball as a prep in Greensboro, N.C. Hands were 10 ½.

Hard to read with anyone using the black page theme 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Feels like Hooker is going to be a day 2 steal, but on the other hand RODGERS RODGERS RODGERS so who gives a sh*t who plays QB for this team in 2024 and beyond

You know his jersey sales would go through the roof, especially among women.

43 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I can't see the Jets using any meaningful asset on a QB. 1) Rodgers is literally trying to escape that mindset in GB and 2) The Jets should give their full developmental focus on Zach behind the scenes to determine if the 5th year option is worth it.

That makes sense except if Wilson doesn’t develop we’re back to what? Trading incredibly far up for a QB.

Bc think about it… we would have already had to decide on Wilson’s 5th year option by then. That isn’t cheap. And all we’d have to base that Decision on is his awful play for 2 years and on the bench for a year. Not sure if we pick it up. So let’s say AR plays 2 seasons. We didn’t pick up Wilson’s option and no we have no QB for 2025. And likely drafting late 1st round. So trading up isn’t really doable. Where we spend a mid rounder in a guy this draft or next we can start that development and have them under contract after that timeframe.

There’s a big difference between spending a 1st rounder on a QB like GB did and spending let’s say a 3rd-5th rounder on a guy to develop. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

That makes sense except if Wilson doesn’t develop we’re back to what? Trading incredibly far up for a QB.

Bc think about it… we would have already had to decide on Wilson’s 5th year option by then. That isn’t cheap. And all we’d have to base that Devi on on is his awful play for 2 years and on the bench for a year. Not sure if we pick it up. So let’s say AR plays 2 seasons. We didn’t pick up Wilson’s option and no we have no QB for 2025. And likely drafting late 1st round. So trading up isn’t really doable. Where we spend a mid rounder in a guy this draft or next we can start that development and have them under contract after that timeframe.

There’s a big difference between spending a 1st rounder on a QB like GB did and spending let’s say a 3rd-5th rounder on a guy to develop. 

Very true .. we would be relying on coaching reports not involving live bullets. But still its is a compelling thought that Zach and his bazooka arm could be trained up to be very good QB.  I think the practice reports will be all we have to go on ... that an pre-season. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Very true .. we would be relying on coaching reports not involving live bullets. But still its is a compelling thought that Zach and his bazooka arm could be trained up to be very good QB.  I think the practice reports will be all we have to go on ... that a pre-season. 

That’s if he doesn’t beat out AR. He is going to make his life Hell after all.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

If 23 year old Zach Wilson was in this draft, he’d be QB1 by a lot

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That Tennessee offense is supposedly so comically basic that the nerds are completely out on Hooker, Hyatt, etc. 

Josh Heupel’s offense isn’t going to do Hooker any favors in the eyes of evaluators. The no-huddle, go-ball heavy attack is no stranger to putting up big passing numbers. Dillon Gabriel had monster years as a true freshman and sophomore at UCF in the same offense. It’s often asking the quarterback to do little more than count numbers to decide which route to throw. Because of the ultra-wide spread attack's propensity to “break” coverages, Hooker led the Power-Five in completions targeted 20-plus yards downfield that earned only a .5 grade or below (19). That means those throws weren’t anything special, but rather, his receivers were wide-open.

As a runner, he’s obviously very gifted, but when he breaks the pocket, he’s looking almost exclusively to run, not pass. On 151 dropbacks the past two seasons where he was moved off his spot, Hooker completed only seven passes! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Bc think about it… we would have already had to decide on Wilson’s 5th year option by then. That isn’t cheap. And all we’d have to base that Decision on is his awful play for 2 years and on the bench for a year. Not sure if we pick it up. So let’s say AR plays 2 seasons. We didn’t pick up Wilson’s option and no we have no QB for 2025. And likely drafting late 1st round. So trading up isn’t really doable. Where we spend a mid rounder in a guy this draft or next we can start that development and have them under contract after that timeframe.

I totally get what you are saying but I don't think this enters the conversation until the 2024 draft since it's just days before the need to exercise zach's option. Maybe I could see 5th or later but we had major contributors that were 4th round picks last year.

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If 23 year old Zach Wilson was in this draft, he’d be QB1 by a lot

I think he'd be right up there in the conversation. I really don't like the idea of moving on from Zach when his upside is so elite, regardless how long the chance of it working out is.

• Upvote 2

If they’re looking for a direct replacement for Mike White, but with upside, Aidan O’Connell in Rd 4 would be the guy. Grit for days, smart, tough, and productive. No elite traits, but whatev. Was a walk-on who worked his way up from being the 8th QB on the depth chart. Pauline from the Shrine game on him:

“Yet, a growing number of people I’ve spoken with from the scouting community believe Shrine Bowl quarterback Aidan O’Connell of Purdue will prevail as the top signal-caller from this year’s class.

The reasoning is simple: O’Connell combines the leadership skills and field vision of Young with many of the same physical gifts Stroud and Levis bring to the game. They point to his two-year stewardship as the Boilermakers QB, in which O’Connell accrued 17 victories and a trip to the Big Ten title game. Scouts love the poise, maturity, and leadership O’Connell brings to the field.

They feel he’ll hold up much better than Young, as O’Connell is four inches taller and 20 pounds stouter than the projected top-five pick. They also believe he’s much more NFL-ready than Stroud, Levis, or Richardson and comes with a fraction of the bust factor those quarterbacks possess.”

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think he'd be right up there in the conversation. I really don't like the idea of moving on from Zach when his upside is so elite, regardless how long the chance of it working out is.

That will probably be the case—they hold onto him and pray—but if they can cajole some draft picks for him out of someone, they should take it. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That will probably be the case—they hold onto him and pray—but if they can cajole some draft picks for him out of someone, they should take it. 

even i cant argue this ... if they can get 2 twos or a 1 ... then yeah maybe move on.

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2023 at 11:36 AM, T0mShane said:

If they’re looking for a direct replacement for Mike White, but with upside, Aidan O’Connell in Rd 4 would be the guy. Grit for days, smart, tough, and productive. No elite traits, but whatev. Was a walk-on who worked his way up from being the 8th QB on the depth chart. Pauline from the Shrine game on him:

“Yet, a growing number of people I’ve spoken with from the scouting community believe Shrine Bowl quarterback Aidan O’Connell of Purdue will prevail as the top signal-caller from this year’s class.

The reasoning is simple: O’Connell combines the leadership skills and field vision of Young with many of the same physical gifts Stroud and Levis bring to the game. They point to his two-year stewardship as the Boilermakers QB, in which O’Connell accrued 17 victories and a trip to the Big Ten title game. Scouts love the poise, maturity, and leadership O’Connell brings to the field.

They feel he’ll hold up much better than Young, as O’Connell is four inches taller and 20 pounds stouter than the projected top-five pick. They also believe he’s much more NFL-ready than Stroud, Levis, or Richardson and comes with a fraction of the bust factor those quarterbacks possess.”

He’s a great story, but he’ll be 25 when the season starts and he’s shaved-a-dog’s-ass ugly.

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2023 at 12:36 PM, T0mShane said:

Now you're pushing "AOC" on us?!  What happened to "no politics"?

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2023 at 10:36 AM, T0mShane said:

Wut?  I'd take Stetson Bennett over O'Connell