Israel Abanikanda, RB (No. 143)

16 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Yup. Know him well. My son went there with him. He looks like he was shot out of a cannon. Probably the lightning to Breece’s thunder but I see him as a dynamic returner with Hardman. 

Breece is the lightning.  "Breece Lightning".  :)

• Upvote 1

Its not only the home run hitting ability of this guy and Breece but they are both over 215 lbs and Knight is listed at 210 - that is a lot of size to throw at teams especially if we are able to keep these guys somewhat fresh.  

It wouldnt surprise me at all to see Breece start the season on the pup or at least be brought along very slowly.  Let Knight, Israel and MC handle the workload for the first few weeks and let Breece slowly return to form.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2023 at 5:27 PM, JETS SB said:

Yup. Know him well. My son went there with him. He looks like he was shot out of a cannon. Probably the lightning to Breece’s thunder but I see him as a dynamic returner with Hardman. 

How are his hands? They look good from what I’ve seen.

On 4/30/2023 at 8:18 PM, Larz said:

Apparently Izzy ran this at his pro day, which is considered unofficial, and Hall will lose something this year but we have some speed fellas. 

IMG_5682.jpeg

Really?!?!  I had no idea he was THAT fast.  I loved the pick at the time (our RBs were lacking after Breece got hurt) but now it's even better.  The Dolphins are built on speed.  Glad the Jets have also been getting a lot speedier under JD. 

It's interesting how 40 times can be so misleading.  Mimms was sub 4.3 something but I don't ever remember seeing that kind of speed or separation on the field.  Abanikanda ran 4.4ish but his tape shows him accelerating away from DB after DB.  Hope he can carry it through to the pro level.  Fun to watch.

• Upvote 2

Reminds me of Tevin Coleman. And I truly mean it as a compliment. One cut, North-South RB with great vision, good speed and a nice burst. Seems perfect for this offense. Can't wait to see him mix it up with Carter and Breece.  

Coleman- 6'1, 210 

Abanikanda- 5'10, 216

44 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Pretty nuts 2nd gear

Seems like a super strong fit for our offense. One thing I noticed is that in the first few runs he was a little slower than the ones at the back end when he was clearly blazing. Maybe he had a bit of an ankle or something. Everyone looks All Pro in highlight films though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thebuzzardman said:

Pretty nuts 2nd gear

Thanks for sharing!

His scouting reports seem pretty spot on:

One cut, home run threat … great fit for our offense.

He’s not necessarily going to stand out with his wiggle or elusiveness.

Power is adequate.  Has upside as a pass catcher and blocker (not there yet).

But his burst and long speed are elite.

Love the running back room when Breece is fully recovered, hopefully at some point later in the season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

It's interesting how 40 times can be so misleading.  Mimms was sub 4.3 something but I don't ever remember seeing that kind of speed or separation on the field.  Abanikanda ran 4.4ish but his tape shows him accelerating away from DB after DB.  Hope he can carry it through to the pro level.  Fun to watch.

Great observation.

Mims is a long strider with limited short area burst.  He also lacks stop start or pretty much any form of deception ;).

This guy accelerates quickly .. catches the defender off guard and then he’s gone.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Great observation.

Mims is a long strider with limited short area burst.  He also lacks stop start or pretty much any form of deception ;).

This guy accelerates quickly .. catches the defender off guard and then he’s gone.

Yes, it’s the acceleration.  Need to make the first guy miss.

• Upvote 1