Israel Abanikanda, RB (No. 143)

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Imagine if we drafted Calijah Kancey instead of McDeezy IV

Was my pick at 14, but I guess JD didn't listen to me. I think he would have been a much better value because he and Q would be able to create havoc for that DL.

15 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Carter’s days may be numbered. I can feel for that kid. He plays hard and has a good attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

NOt at all.  Hall probably won't be back until 4-5 weeks into the season.  You bring in the new kid and you have Carter as the 1-2 punch.  Now, you might get calls about Carter if he looks goo with Rodgers and turn him into a 2024 asset. 

• Upvote 1

Why draft Israel Abanikanda: Very, very fast, he’s got the flash in a good compact frame. Ultra-productive last year for Pitt, he proved he could handle a bigger workload - he ran for 320 yards and 6 TDs on Virginia Tech - and should have moments at the next level when he takes over.

Why not draft Israel Abanikanda: He’ll have to show he can be more of a receiver. He can catch, but he wasn’t used as much in the passing game last year. A wee bit of a one-speed back, there’s not a ton of power to go along with all his quickness.

Israel Abanikanda, from the college perspective: An interesting Day Three get for someone, he’ll be fantastic for an offense that doesn’t have a lot of mobility at quarterback and could use a change-of-pace speed runner. He’ll turn into a dangerous receiver right away - packages will be created for him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Round 5

No. 143: Israel Abanikanda, RB, Pitt

How he fits: Zack Rosenblatt’s analysis

The Jets are confident Breece Hall will return to form at some point this season, but history hasn’t been kind to running backs in their first season back after an ACL tear. So drafting Abanikanda was a decision that made a lot of sense, since he can help while Hall returns to form. Abanikanda ran a 4.44-second 40-yard dash and scored 20 rushing touchdowns for Pittsburgh last year.

Dane Brugler’s analysis

A two-year starter at Pittsburgh, Abanikanda was the featured weapon in offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti Jr.’s balanced run attack. After a pass-heavy offense with quarterback Kenny Pickett and former coordinator Mark Whipple, Pitt dedicated the offense to the run game in 2022, and Abanikanda responded with a career-year, finishing No. 2 in the FBS in all-purpose yards (164.1 per game).

damn he plays fast

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Why? Depth is good. Carter is good, and cheap. Breece is still coming back as opposed to already being back.

I didn't say they would get rid of him immediately but he's clearly not in the long term plans he didn't get the bulk of the carries even after Hall got injured and looked pedestrian....I liked the pick at the time but he's been underwhelming to say the least.  He's also a candidate for a Twitter meltdown. lol

17 minutes ago, Greg555 said:

Why draft Israel Abanikanda: Very, very fast, he’s got the flash in a good compact frame. Ultra-productive last year for Pitt, he proved he could handle a bigger workload - he ran for 320 yards and 6 TDs on Virginia Tech - and should have moments at the next level when he takes over.

Why not draft Israel Abanikanda: He’ll have to show he can be more of a receiver. He can catch, but he wasn’t used as much in the passing game last year. A wee bit of a one-speed back, there’s not a ton of power to go along with all his quickness.

Israel Abanikanda, from the college perspective: An interesting Day Three get for someone, he’ll be fantastic for an offense that doesn’t have a lot of mobility at quarterback and could use a change-of-pace speed runner. He’ll turn into a dangerous receiver right away - packages will be created for him.

One last reason not is pass blocking. IMO one of the hardest things for college players to do right off is pass protect.  Some, like Cumar, were very good. Others struggle.

10 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

damn he plays fast

Not so much the top speed, which is good, but he did get caught from behind a few times, but his acceleration to that top gear is incredibly fast.  I also suspect Pitt had a very good OLine because he had some holes to work with. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1