The O-line thread

Larz

59 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He sucks

The information in that post of yours is all over the map by the way 

The Bengals signed Orlando brown Jr so only Jonah Williams is still starting not lael Collins 

Also cam Robinson is suspended leaving Anton Harrison to start the season 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

The information in that post of yours is all over the map by the way 

The Bengals signed Orlando brown Jr so only Jonah Williams is still starting not lael Collins 

Also cam Robinson is suspended leaving Anton Harrison to start the season 

I quite clearly noted Williams & Collins were last year’s pair of Bengals tackles, genius. 

Robinson is suspended a month, not the whole year. Anyway for that month it makes my post stronger not weaker in any case. 

Anything else you want to get wrong in front of the class? 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Anything else you want to get wrong in front of the class? 

it's also notable you did not mention the O Lines of the teams that were actually in the super bowl 

both KCC and PHI have insanely good lines 

and the Jets play them both by the way 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

it's also notable you did not mention the O Lines of the teams that were actually in the super bowl 

And we have an “insanely” good DL.  
Both have to play against our DL btw

The OLine of old needs to get way better at pass protection.  

The “It wAs All zAcKs fAuLT” crew seems to forget how many times Zach was saying “Ole” 2 seconds in or how Mike White got killed.

I hope it’s better or JD wasted time getting Rodgers.  

McGovern was good for 4 or 5 free runners at the QB a game last season.   If he’s the best option at center we’ve got issues.   I’m not going to think about tackle.   I’ve already got a headache.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

First off, my post was about the tackles on those teams, not the whole OL.

Second, I did mention KC. Try reading. Speaking of KC again...

RT - Wylie + Niang. Which is insanely good?

RG - Trey Smith is insanely good?

LT - Orlando Brown is solid enough, but insanely good? Nope. On a per-snap basis, 37 year-old Duane Brown - with only 1 healthy shoulder - gave up less pressure than a 100% healthy Orlando Brown, and that was with Brown blocking for Zach Wilson and his totally absent feel for the pocket. 

The only top 5-10 guys on that SB line were a pair of inside linemen in Thuney & Humphrey.

Lots of the rest is Mahomes making them look good. FFS the year they lost to Tampa they made it to the playoffs with 1 starter-worthy offensive lineman and 4 scrubs, which dropped to 5 scrubs when Fisher went down in the playoffs. You put a QB behind that line who isn't a unicorn like Mahomes, and they don't sniff the playoffs that year (let alone the Super Bowl).

Also this year they went on the cheap on both tackle spots. Taylor is meh and Smith is coming off a season of injuries with elbow and then foot problems. Reid is a terrific coach so they may be fine, but this is hardly an insanely good pair of starting tackles, and Donovan Smith is going to have to learn to hold his blocks longer in going from Brady to Mahomes. 

Eagles' OL is elite, no doubt. If Hurts gets injured again - and for a longer time this year - and they have to go with Mariota, that elite OL and $1.25 will buy them something in Dollar General.

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2023 at 9:31 AM, FootballLove said:

If you poll fans of any team, they'd say their OL could be better and they struggle putting pressure on the opposing QB as their 2 biggest gripes. This is almost universal. 

At least here, we only gripe about our OL which in all honesty could be really good if healthy. Would you wanna try and tackle Breece Hall running behind Becton and AVT? I wouldn't. My only concern durability and LG.

They’d also say their OC sucks except when their QB is Mahomes, Burrow, Hurts. 

So, there has been a weird surge of “should we trade/let’s trade Bakhtiari” sentiment coming out of Packers-aligned media and fans the past week or so. Part of it has been that Jordan Love has looked mostly bad and they know it’s going to be a rebuilding year, but also because Bakhtiari’s 2024 contract is untenable for them, and they already have two promising young tackles on the roster who’ve filled in for Bakhtiari when he was out with injury. I can’t help but think Rodgers left money on the table for players he, himself, hand-picked and specified to Douglas, and it makes sense that Bakhtiari would be among those names. 

Cap wise, it’s not ideal for Green Bay because they already gave him $18 mil in cash for the year, and he’d only provide around $3 mil in relief this season (but $22-ish next year). One wonders if Douglas wouldn’t simply lock in the 2024 first going back for Rodgers, add a third(?), and Becton going back to Green Bay. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2023 at 4:09 PM, Bronx said:

Who do you think is replacing Brown on long term basis? We need a reliable backup LT, and right now I only see AVT as that option. 

Next year will be a very difficult situation with the tackles RT LT.. Warren and Mitchell are really depth pieces.  This is Brown's last year. Hopefully he gets through it.  Same as Becton..  No way Jets resign either, especially Becton, next year to a contract even if he plays through the season.  JD will have no choice but to draft a Tackle in 2024 and sign 2 vets @ RT and LT. You cant go into 2024 with Rodgers as your QB and start a rookie at either of those positions.

• Upvote 1

Somewhat related: Broderick Jones, the OT that the Jets were allegedly tied to, is not slated to start this year for the Steelers and has been kind of a mess in camp.

“UNITY TWP., Pa — Through two weeks of training camp, Broderick Jones has his ups and downs, as any rookie offensive tackle would at this juncture. But Jones never got a true welcome to the NFL moment until Saturday when he met the old head in the room in Cam Heyward.

In the drill, Jones received a nasty long arm from Heyward, one of his moves that has made even the best guards in the NFL look silly at times. To say the least, Jones went flying backward in a way that had not been seen at training camp nor on his Georgia tape very often, and he ended up four yards back and into the quarterback on his backside.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

So, there has been a weird surge of “should we trade/let’s trade Bakhtiari” sentiment coming out of Packers-aligned media and fans the past week or so. Part of it has been that Jordan Love has looked mostly bad and they know it’s going to be a rebuilding year, but also because Bakhtiari’s 2024 contract is untenable for them, and they already have two promising young tackles on the roster who’ve filled in for Bakhtiari when he was out with injury. I can’t help but think Rodgers left money on the table for players he, himself, hand-picked and specified to Douglas, and it makes sense that Bakhtiari would be among those names. 

Cap wise, it’s not ideal for Green Bay because they already gave him $18 mil in cash for the year, and he’d only provide around $3 mil in relief this season (but $22-ish next year). One wonders if Douglas wouldn’t simply lock in the 2024 first going back for Rodgers, add a third(?), and Becton going back to Green Bay. 

Very interesting. Rodgers posted at him several times recently on instagram they are bff

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Somewhat related: Broderick Jones, the OT that the Jets were allegedly tied to, is not slated to start this year for the Steelers and has been kind of a mess in camp.

“UNITY TWP., Pa — Through two weeks of training camp, Broderick Jones has his ups and downs, as any rookie offensive tackle would at this juncture. But Jones never got a true welcome to the NFL moment until Saturday when he met the old head in the room in Cam Heyward.

In the drill, Jones received a nasty long arm from Heyward, one of his moves that has made even the best guards in the NFL look silly at times. To say the least, Jones went flying backward in a way that had not been seen at training camp nor on his Georgia tape very often, and he ended up four yards back and into the quarterback on his backside.

Not totally surprising, wasn’t he like tippmann, high ceiling year 2 guy ?

26 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I could see them moving bryce huff for an olineman.  Felt like they were trying to showcase huff in the HOF game.

You cannot go into the season w the oline as constructed.  Guys like mcgovern and mitchell are not starting caliber players.

Tippman will start at C.  Becton I’m crossing my fingers stays on the field at LT.  We need to sign Jamarco Jones

• Upvote 1

13. Laken Tomlinson - Tomlinson’s value is in his durability (one missed game over his last six seasons), above average play strength and experience. He brings a tone-settingpresence and processing skills to be an asset when uncovered, albeit with gaps in his technique that can lead to some quick losses against higher-end competition in isolated pass-protection situations. Tomlinson offers a low-end tier three/high-end tier four skill-set inside the typical zone-based, play-action/RPO heavy systems that he has operated in over the last six years.

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

13. Laken Tomlinson - Tomlinson’s value is in his durability (one missed game over his last six seasons), above average play strength and experience. He brings a tone-settingpresence and processing skills to be an asset when uncovered, albeit with gaps in his technique that can lead to some quick losses against higher-end competition in isolated pass-protection situations. Tomlinson offers a low-end tier three/high-end tier four skill-set inside the typical zone-based, play-action/RPO heavy systems that he has operated in over the last six years.

saw this too - he's Thorn's 13th rated LG i think that's actually being very generous 

i believe he has Dalton Risner rated higher who is currently an FA 

On 8/6/2023 at 3:19 PM, T0mShane said:

Jones was always a raw prospect and by the way Dan Moore Jr is actually pretty good 

it never made sense for the jets to draft Jones in an Aaron Rodgers all in year - that guy might need a redshirt - like Tippmann 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dan Moore gave up 7 sacks last year and accrued ten penalties, and he’s actually pretty good, but Duane Brown (one sack allowed) is washed? 

I have Dan Moore getting 9 penalties and Duane Brown had 6. 

One of Moore's penalty was Illegal Formation which is usually the fault of the WR or TE covering the tackle (too many or too few men on LOS) 

all that aside Duane Brown is actually pretty good but he's also old as dirt and we don't know how much longer he can do it for 

they could announce his retirement tomorrow and it wouldn't be a surprise 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I have Dan Moore getting 9 penalties and Duane Brown had 6. 

One of Moore's penalty was Illegal Formation which is usually the fault of the WR or TE covering the tackle (too many or too few men on LOS) 

all that aside Duane Brown is actually pretty good but he's also old as dirt and we don't know how much longer he can do it for 

they could announce his retirement tomorrow and it wouldn't be a surprise 

I liked Jones best when we was the guy we’d most likely be in position to draft and I was bummed when we lost out on him. I do appreciate Tomlin’s approach in sticking with Moore’s consistent JAG-ness over Jones’ potential, and I hope that’s a similar philosophy to what Saleh is employing here with Becton/Brown. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I liked Jones best when we was the guy we’d most likely be in position to draft and I was bummed when we lost out on him. I do appreciate Tomlin’s approach in sticking with Moore’s consistent JAG-ness over Jones’ potential, and I hope that’s a similar philosophy to what Saleh is employing here with Becton/Brown. 

Tomlin and Saleh are on different timelines 

Put it another way Will McDonald IV does more for this 2023 Jets team than Broderick Jones. Will McDonald is 24, Jones is 22  

Jones is a pick for 2-3 years from now, ya know the way normal NFL programs operate 

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Tomlin and Saleh are on different timelines 

Put it another way Will McDonald IV does more for this 2023 Jets team than Broderick Jones. Will McDonald is 24, Jones is 22  

Jones is a pick for 2-3 years from now, ya know the way normal NFL programs operate 

Nobody drafts tackles in Rd 1 for “2-3 years” down the line.