Left tackle

Correct me if you disagree but I think the plan all along was for Brown to miss as much camp as possible bc of his age; consider it a perk for a 15 year vet. He has been penciled in as the starter all along.  

sure they would love Bechton to win it but they have known who he is for 3 plus years now and probably know the odds are realistically slim he will win it.

for now, while it seems to be “worrisome” the reality is they are goingto be alternating turner and mitchell some to see who the primary backup will be should something happen to brown. I suppose there is a scenario if brown gets hurt, they feel an option could be Mitchell to LT and turner to rt.  Or perhaps AVT gets moved.  Either way I think all the shuffling is related to planning for browns backup. 

sure bechton will be in that backup mix but he has to be in the field first. His early injury kind of reinforces what they already know that there is no way in hell he can be penciled into starting.  

at this point, let’s hope he can stay healthy and be a formidable back up and allow Mitchell to just focus on RT and not have any line blow up should something happen to brown.

but to the original point , I have a feeling brown could be ready this week if he had to but they just don’t feel he has to be in camp 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Correct me if you disagree but I think the plan all along was for Brown to miss as much camp as possible bc of his age; consider it a perk for a 15 year vet. He has been penciled in as the starter all along.  

sure they would love Bechton to win it but they have known who he is for 3 plus years now and probably know the odds are realistically slim he will win it.

for now, while it seems to be “worrisome” the reality is they are goingto be alternating turner and mitchell some to see who the primary backup will be should something happen to brown. I suppose there is a scenario if brown gets hurt, they feel an option could be Mitchell to LT and turner to rt.  Or perhaps AVT gets moved.  Either way I think all the shuffling is related to planning for browns backup. 

sure bechton will be in that backup mix but he has to be in the field first. His early injury kind of reinforces what they already know that there is no way in hell he can be penciled into starting.  

at this point, let’s hope he can stay healthy and be a formidable back up and allow Mitchell to just focus on RT and not have any line blow up should something happen to brown.

but to the original point , I have a feeling brown could be ready this week if he had to but they just don’t feel he has to be in camp 

Camp signings right?

5 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

step 1--tune in on thursday

I think you have DB plan right. Needs to be ready in September. We know he plays in pain. Needs to get some reps with AR and Hackett’s playbook. But he should be good to go.

Certainly wouldn’t call you wrong on Becton, but you have chosen the most pessimistic view. Not a bad place for a Jets fan.

Becton may turn out to be a useful player. He’s done the things in the offseason that he needed to do. Give him credit for that. It’s not surprising that it’s taking time for him to sync in to contact. Been away quite awhile.

So you’re probably right but too early to make that call. Let him prove it on the field— one way or the other. 

7 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

That seems to be the plan on Brown. Ease him back in and he will be the left tackle.

Right tackle is interesting. Becton will have to claw his way to anything he gets. They aren't handing him anything, as they shouldn't.

• Upvote 2

Not sure why Mitchell is viewed as some liability at RT if he ends up being the starter.  Kid looked good as a rookie before the rest of the line was decimated and he had the blood clot issue.

Also, I disagree that the team "knows what they have in Becton".  He looked great as a rookie and then missed the next 2 years.  In reality we have no idea what he is at this point when he's on the field.  My hope is that, if he stays healthy, he actually does get a legit chance to take that LT spot from Brown.  This is an OL that lacks elite talent outside of AVT.  Having a stud LT is arguably the most important piece you can have on offense outside of the QB position.  Seems though some people want this guy benched no matter how he looks just out of spite.  Weird considering we're "all-in" this year.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Not sure why Mitchell is viewed as some liability at RT if he ends up being the starter.  Kid looked good as a rookie before the rest of the line was decimated and he had the blood clot issue.

Also, I disagree that the team "knows what they have in Becton".  He looked great as a rookie and then missed the next 2 years.  In reality we have no idea what he is at this point when he's on the field.  My hope is that, if he stays healthy, he actually does get a legit chance to take that LT spot from Brown.  This is an OL that lacks elite talent outside of AVT.  Having a stud LT is arguably the most important piece you can have on offense outside of the QB position.  Seems though some people want this guy benched no matter how he looks just out of spite.  Weird considering we're "all-in" this year.  

Yep- my crystal ball is telling me Mitchell is going to have a good year as a starter on the OLine.

The same crystal ball had been telling me the Jets were making starting bets on both Adams & Sherwood and in the case of the latter to let Kwon go.  Both are having strong camps.

Mitchell is emerging as a similar story on the Offensive side.  Phenomenal feet for pass pro and the zone running game.  Put on 10 pounds of muscle in the off-season and now is working back into playing shape.

On his way to becoming a 5+ year starter for Gang Green.

• Upvote 1