Bucs' Tristan Wirfs seeing psychologist over move to left tackle

Bronx

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

RT?  They'd need to bring in a new LT.  And those aren't easy to find.

When you draft an OT in the first half of the 1st round you generally do so with the hope he can be a LT.  I dunno exactly why they cut Donovan Smith but clearly they were hoping Wirfs was ready to jump into the LT job with Smith's departure.

Not everybody can just seamlessly make that transition from RT to LT, though

Anyone who thinks it's easy to switch sides, run the mens room and wipe with your other hand! My Uncle blew his fingers off his right hand, and the hardest part for his recovery was learning to wipe with his left hand 🤪

I wonder if the Jets have a team shrink, and if so, should we make Zach and appointment?

Good for him for going public with this.  He isn't the only player in the NFL dealing with thoughts and issues like this.  Comments that he is "soft" or that we "dodged a bullet" are stupid it says a lot more about the poster's mental state and attitudes than it does Wirfs.

• Upvote 4

Why do people equate switching from righty to left doing all things (writing, throwing a ball, ass wiping) to flipping from RT to LT, which is quite common without a player being uniquely ambidextrous. 

Ask a tackle to flip sides and he may be less comfortable for a while, and worse at it right away, but he won’t nearly give up a sack every play.

Ask a pitcher to throw with his other hand and he won’t come close to the plate (if he even reaches it), let alone with any velocity.

Ask a golfer to switch and he’ll alternate hitting turf a foot before the ball or whiff outright before getting it enough to hit the top of the ball even half the time and watch it dribble 10 yards (or feet). 

Like switching from righty to lefty, lmao gtfo with that. A lineman flipping sides is of course an adjustment but it’s nowhere near the same thing nor even analogous to switching from righty to lefty.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why do people equate switching from righty to left with all things (writing, throwing a ball, ass wiping) to flipping from RT to LT which is quite common without being uniquely ambidextrous. 

Ask a tackle to flip sides and he may be less comfortable for a while, and worse at it right away, but he won’t nearly give up a sack every play.

Ask a pitcher to throw with his other hand and he won’t come close to the plate (if he even reaches it), let alone with any velocity.

Ask a golfer to switch and he’ll alternate hitting turf a foot before the ball or whiff outright before getting out enough to hit the top of the ball and watch it dribble 10 yards (or feet). 

Like switching from righty to lefty, lmao gtfo with that. A lineman flipping sides is of course an adjustment but it’s nowhere near the same thing nor even analogous. 

I agree.  Guys switch sides all the time.  Most of these guys were #1 on their college team and played some LT.  If not, they probably played it in high school before they committed to Alabama or Ohio State or whatever powerhouse has multiple 5 stars on the o-line.    I think there was a guy with the Cowboys that had an eye issue and preferred one side.  That I understand.  I have a pretty severely scratched right cornea and because of that I always preferred the right side at WR or DB because my left eye could see the whole field better.  I could certainly play both sides, but I understand why one would be a preference in that situation, but generally which hand is in the dirt is not a huge deal for most. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/7/2023 at 9:46 PM, JKlecko said:

Good for him for going public with this.  He isn't the only player in the NFL dealing with thoughts and issues like this.  Comments that he is "soft" or that we "dodged a bullet" are stupid it says a lot more about the poster's mental state and attitudes than it does Wirfs.

28EA2953-EED9-4C4F-8AA7-D68395685EBE.thumb.png.10997e74c553445d688b3b897a497419.png

On 8/5/2023 at 12:14 PM, T0mShane said:

100%. I think Saleh has gotten a little tougher, especially this year. Reminds me a bit of the Pete Carroll evolution. I think the organization is better synced up in finding the self-starters that Saleh wants, and avoiding the dudes who need the iron hand who fall through the cracks in this program.

JD seems to have realized this as his drafting improvement not only reflects better talent, but also better character. E Moore already had a rep but JD disregarded the red flag. And it seems like the rest of the league was happy to pass on Mims in rd 2, but not JD. ANd of course Becton.  That was then. Now is now. Last yr here for Becton in all likelihood.

• Upvote 3