Jets claim OT Hermanns, waive Cajuste, Strev on IR

I heard/read somewhere that Strev injured his arm/hand (throwing) early in the Browns game. If so, that goes a long way explaining his erratic performance. I think Joe would like to have him around, but if he can't contribute this PS, I guess it's off to IR he goes....HOPEFULLY he gets his 4 yrs in to get his NFL pension. For fring guys like Strev (and his family) that means a lot down the road. Wish him the best...

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

I think he just has to stick around on IR for 6 weeks of the regular season to get the accrued year he needs for his pension. Hopefully, that happens. Strev is a good dude and I love his enthusiasm for the game.

Really this is the first time I heard about an NFL pension, at least as far as fring players who hang on a few years. Isn't this Strev's 2nd yr? I thought we got him last year after the Gray Cup. Maybe I'm wrong....and how many accrued years does a player need? Just curious! tu

6 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Really this is the first time I heard about an NFL pension, at least as far as fring players who hang on a few years. Isn't this Strev's 2nd yr? I thought we got him last year after the Gray Cup. Maybe I'm wrong....and how many accrued years does a player need? Just curious! tu

We weren’t his first team. Two accrued seasons in Arizona before they cut him. CFL was before Arizona.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, FootballLove said:

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We weren’t his first team. Two accrued seasons in Arizona before they cut him. CFL was before Arizona.

There's not a massive amount of information out there about how the NFL pension scheme works, but I think players have to have 3 accrued seasons before they can qualify for minimum benefit.  Like most pensions, the longer your service and the more contributions that are paid in, the more you get at retirement age. NFL Pensions range from around $20k per year at the bottom end to over $200k per year at the top end.

Streveler has 2 accrued years from his time with Arizona.  He was with the Jets most of last year, but most of it was on the PS, so I don't think he gets an accrued season for that.  So, as far as I can tell, he's one accrued season (at least 6 games on the 53, IR or PUP) away from qualifying for an NFL pension.

I found this article online, which has some more info: https://russellstreetreport.com/2023/06/30/street-talk/nfl-pension/#:~:text=NFL Annuity Program&text=This depends on how much,is about %24201%2C453 per year

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

There's not a massive amount of information out there about how the NFL pension scheme works, but I think players have to have 3 accrued seasons before they can qualify for minimum benefit.  Like most pensions, the longer your service and the more contributions that are paid in, the more you get at retirement age. NFL Pensions range from around $20k per year at the bottom end to over $200k per year at the top end.

Streveler has 2 accrued years from his time with Arizona.  He was with the Jets most of last year, but most of it was on the PS, so I don't think he gets an accrued season for that.  So, as far as I can tell, he's one accrued season (at least 6 games on the 53, IR or PUP) away from qualifying for an NFL pension.

I found this article online, which has some more info: https://russellstreetreport.com/2023/06/30/street-talk/nfl-pension/#:~:text=NFL Annuity Program&text=This depends on how much,is about %24201%2C453 per year

http://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/Former Players/FPSD_2020CBARozelle_final.pdf

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Hermanns is a feisty dude. He fought with Clemons in camp last year. I thought he played pretty well in preseason as a rookie and last year.

agreed !  😎..if he can stay healthy - he can help us   ;)