Guess some of you need to hear this: Zach Wilson (and his $23 mil 5th yr option) has no Future in NY

Paradis

22 hours ago, Paradis said:
hyperbole aside, history tells us that opportunity will not be back with the Jets. It's not like a "maybe" situation, not when the guy was a top 5 pick and wound up sitting for 2 years after losing his job. To speculate otherwise is an exercise in fantasy.  

I agree .. it's a nearly a sure thing he will be extended this summer for 3-4 years  .. probably on the cheap because of the bench time. 

Then after 2 years of success as a starter he will get a mega deal.

No way the Jets let him walk after investing so much and putting all the pieces in place to assure his rise.

#FUTURENYJFQB

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Paradis said:

hyperbole aside, history tells us that opportunity will not be back with the Jets. It's not like a "maybe" situation, not when the guy was a top 5 pick and wound up sitting for 2 years after losing his job. To speculate otherwise is an exercise in fantasy.  

There is literally no history for this situation.  He literally just turned 24 so he is still only at the age a lot of QBs are drafted at already. 

So here is Zach's contract. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/zach-wilson-72381/ He's due about 20 mil over the next two seasons there is an option for year 5 of the contract (2025). He is a UFA in 2026. I don't know if there is a creative way of getting rid of any of this. The cap hit though in 2024 is 11 million vs 20.7 in 2023. We all know that Rodgers will be here for at least two more seasons. His contract is totally backloaded for 2024 and he's not going to be forfeiting that. If Rodgers stays over 2 years Zach is almost definitely gone. If things work well for Rodgers here ZW prob won't be here in 2024. The 20 million isn't huge but high for a backup QB. The idea of them staying with Zach and developing him for after Rodgers is doubtful. Unless he gets playing time and improves a lot. I can see Zach out in 2024 Boyle as backup drafting a QB.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyLV said:

There is literally no history for this situation.  He literally just turned 24 so he is still only at the age a lot of QBs are drafted at already. 

Literally doesn't literally matter. Next to no literal chance he hangs around. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I agree .. it's a nearly a sure thing he will be extended this summer for 3-4 years  .. probably on the cheap because of the bench time. 

joe-douglas-on-phone.jpg

"Hi, Zach's agent? This is Joe.. So we're looking to extend Zach for 3 plus years. Yea for cheap... what, go fck myself? Sounds good

*click*

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

What are you a co-Ed freshman?  

Twc306 Please Stop Saying Literally GIF by truTV’s Those Who Can’t

And there actually is historical precedent, both for highly drafted QBs with his statistical profile or better who also sat behind a HOF QB.  Nearly all of those guys failed too, and the most recent success stories were from decades ago when you might as well have been playing a different game entirely. 

Following the numbers/history, there’s simply no argument to be made that Zach Wilson will get an extension here and go on to great success.  If he does turn his career around it will be more like Geno Smith, who did so nearly a decade later, playing on his 4th team.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2023 at 9:33 PM, k-met57 said:

You are stating things as fact while projecting them 2 years out. None of us know what happens by then.

But ok, here we go…

Assuming the jets want to have Wilson because they think he has a future here, it makes no sense for them to go their separate ways after his 4th year. No team in the league will give him a starting job, and the Jets (again assuming they want him) will not be able to bring anyone good in who knows the system and has been in it for multiple years. Conclusion? They work out a 1 year deal with probably an option year (while also eating the Rodgers dead money) to see how things go. We go from there.

Let me guess, your comeback is going to be that Wilson sucks. Ok, your opinion means nothing and neither does mine. The jets either like him or they dont this year, next year, or after that…but they will get it sorted out if they do.

i just want to mention that Rodgers on the pre-game JUST SAID...

"i'd like to play here for a few years, and then hand it right back to Zach for a 15 year run"

so yeah...as i said...there is an understanding, if things fall right

12 hours ago, k-met57 said:

"i'd like to play here for a few years, and then hand it right back to Zach for a 15 year run"

Anyone have this clip?  I've seen it floated but haven't been able to find it.

12 hours ago, k-met57 said:

a couple is 2. a few is 3. i doubt Zach is fine with sitting for " a few years "

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What are you a co-Ed freshman?  

Twc306 Please Stop Saying Literally GIF by truTV’s Those Who Can’t

And there actually is historical precedent, both for highly drafted QBs with his statistical profile or better who also sat behind a HOF QB.  Nearly all of those guys failed too, and the most recent success stories were from decades ago when you might as well have been playing a different game entirely. 

Following the numbers/history, there’s simply no argument to be made that Zach Wilson will get an extension here and go on to great success.  If he does turn his career around it will be more like Geno Smith, who did so nearly a decade later, playing on his 4th team.  

Yeah but how many of them were blonde and from Provo? Your data is irrelevant!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, doitny said:

a couple is 2. a few is 3. i doubt Zach is fine with sitting for " a few years "

you don't think that this is something thats been discussed/agreed in principal before Rodgers goes on national television and says it? do Joe Douglas or Aaron Rodgers seem like the type of people who do things on the fly?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

maybe last night but he has said a few before in fact i remember posting it here maybe a month ago. 

There is a plan in place. Who knows what happens but there is a plan in place and it involves Zach playing here after Rodgers. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

There is a plan in place. Who knows what happens but there is a plan in place and it involves Zach playing here after Rodgers. 

exactly. btw i wasnt very happy with Zach in the pocket yesterday, but he was playing with nobody's....so we'll see.

• Sympathy 1

On 8/13/2023 at 9:23 PM, Paradis said:

Seriously, some of you need to be walked through this?… Forget his dumpster fire play on the field — Aaron committing to at least 2024 officially (and thankfully) ends any speculation. 

we’re not picking up Zach’s roughly $23+ million dollar 5th year option. 

we’re not gonna double down on him with an extension in 2024 after backing up Arod for 2 yrs

we’re not going to forego drafting a QB in 2025 or signing a veteran because “let’s run it back with Zach”

it’s over. Done. He’ll be cut or traded long before he ever gets named QB1 again here. 

He's being expertly trained by Rodgers for his next team, probably Miami or NE,

• Upvote 1