NY Knicks Thread (2023-2024)

Tezza

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

It sounds like they are bringing Randle back. 

I’m mixed on Randle. He’s had two all-NBA caliber seasons for us but has been so dreadful in the playoffs that it almost erases everything else. He’s also a very mediocre defender, but an excellent rebounder. 

I’d try to move him, but it feels like he’s more valuable to the Knicks than anyone else. The playoff series against Atlanta basically ruined his reputation. 

I think there’s always interest in bigs who can handle like he does and create shots. Who knows. Everything done last night feels like it was all little stuff to sign Hart, ie the French kid was clearly drafted to stash somewhere. Sure does seem like Randle is the odd man out if that’s the case. 

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Leon turned 5 first round picks into 5 second round picks and Bridges. 

When you say it like that i start to feel queezy! 

We currently have little cap room ($18m approx) and Leon looking to bring back IH. Holding onto those first round picks was getting us nowhere... as Giannis, Lebron, Booker, Murray.... it just wasn't going to happen and our window to win is only open for another 2-3 years. He had to make a move. Leon added approximately $3 mil to our cap space and can add more adding some salary dump into the Bridges trade.

This was Leon Rose’s big trade. Sure, there will be more additions before the season starts and, perhaps down the road, enough value on the roster to complete another blockbuster. But Tuesday was Rose emptying his asset chest. He relinquished control of five of his own first-round picks in the next seven years. That’s a one-time maneuver. You can forget the Giannis Antetokounmpo or Devin Booker dreams. 

And where does that leave the Knicks? Brunson, the fifth-place finisher in the 2024 MVP voting, as the No. 1 option. Julius Randle, assuming his health following shoulder surgery, as No. 2. Mikal Bridges and OG Anunoby, two top-shelf wing defenders, as Nos. 3 and 4, respectively. 

https://nypost.com/2024/06/26/sports/knicks-mikal-bridges-blockbuster-a-definitive-jalen-brunson-sign/

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Everyone knew he was going to opt out, that's why Toronto traded him. It's hard to imagine they would give up a package like they did for Bridges and not pay OG and they can because they own his Bird rights. It's the type of move you make only if you are going 100% all-in on the next couple seasons. The guy they will probably lose now is Hartenstein.

Bird rights?

This sport is hysterical lol

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think there’s always interest in bigs who can handle like he does and create shots. Who knows. Everything done last night feels like it was all little stuff to sign Hart, ie the French kid was clearly drafted to stash somewhere. Sure does seem like Randle is the odd man out if that’s the case. 

I"m all for trading Randle for the right return, I'm just not sure what realistic options are out there, given that the Knicks would probably only move on from Randle (an all star) for another all-star. The options seem anywhere from limited to nonexistent. 

The good news is that, if we don't trade him, it's encouraging to remember that the Knicks were something like 12-1 when Brunson, Randle, and OG all played in January. The guy was averaging 24 and 9 on 47% shooting before he got hurt and was an all-star. People talk about him like he's Charles Smith. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slimjasi said:

I"m all for trading Randle for the right return, I'm just not sure what realistic options are out there, given that the Knicks would probably only move on from Randle (an all star) for another all-star. The options seem anywhere from limited to nonexistent. 

The good news is that, if we don't trade him, it's encouraging to remember that the Knicks were something like 12-1 when Brunson, Randle, and OG all played in January. The guy was averaging 24 and 9 on 47% shooting before he got hurt and was an all-star. People talk about him like he's Charles Smith. 

I like Randle and people forget that he turned the culture of the franchise around almost singlehandedly before Brunson ever got to MSG (shades of Amare). It's just really hard to picture where he fits in with this team considering he needs the ball on like every possession to make things happen. I think if you're the Knicks you just accept that trading him will probably be a salary dump and a recoup of some picks for something else that pops up in the future, hopefully at the deadline but if not next summer.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I like Randle and people forget that he turned the culture of the franchise around almost singlehandedly before Brunson ever got to MSG (shades of Amare). It's just really hard to picture where he fits in with this team considering he needs the ball on like every possession to make things happen. I think if you're the Knicks you just accept that trading him will probably be a salary dump and a recoup of some picks for something else that pops up in the future, hopefully at the deadline but if not next summer.

I'd do some first round draft picks and a large contract/filler. I wonder who would be interested. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I wonder if and how much Randle could slide to the center spot in a small-ball "second" lineup, assuming we lose IHart or Robinson. If Hart, McBride, DiV, and Ochiuwa come off the bench, is that enough rebounding? 

Randle provides negative defense on the interior. Hart is better at the 5 than Randle is. Great on the perimeter but once someone gets past the point of attack Randle gives up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If you did a trade for JR, you definitely could make IH fit in your Cap space. Brunson, Hart, OG, Bridges & IH/Robinson.

Then your 2nd team of DD, McBride, Ochiuwa, IH/Robinson + some player to fill this last spot. 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

If you did a trade for JR, you definitely could make IH fit in your Cap space. Brunson, Hart, OG, Bridges & IH/Robinson.

Then your 2nd team of DD, McBride, Ochiuwa, IH/Robinson + some player to fill this last spot. 

I thought the problem was that the Bird rights put a cap on what the Knicks could offer IHart. It does look like they are going to have to choose between IHart and Mitch, even if they can open the bank for the former. While Mitch is much more of a beast on the boards and on D, he offers nothing except putbacks on offense (granted. lots of those.) But IHart's passing on offense makes the team much more potent on that end of the floor, so he's my preferred option. One big concern is the medical one, which we are not privy to: are IHart's heels more troublesome going forward than Mitch's ankles? 

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

I thought the problem was that the Bird rights put a cap on what the Knicks could offer IHart. It does look like they are going to have to choose between IHart and Mitch, even if they can open the bank for the former. While Mitch is much more of a beast on the boards and on D, he offers nothing except putbacks on offense (granted. lots of those.) But IHart's passing on offense makes the team much more potent on that end of the floor, so he's my preferred option. One big concern is the medical one, which we are not privy to: are IHart's heels more troublesome going forward than Mitch's ankles? 

The problem was that taking more money on in the Bridges trade than went out hard capped them at the first apron. They still had enough room under the second apron to give Hartenstein the max EB offer. Assume McBride is getting added to the trade now that they have Kolek. Sucks giving up that contract but Hartenstein is obviously more important.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The problem was that taking more money on in the Bridges trade than went out hard capped them at the first apron. They still had enough room under the second apron to give Hartenstein the max EB offer. Assume McBride is getting added to the trade now that they have Kolek. Sucks giving up that contract but Hartenstein is obviously more important.

The Knicks are shedding draft picks faster than @Joe W. Namath analyzes Jets fans are the bests!  Not many details yet, but there doesn’t seem to be any value coming back to Knicks on these trades. Can you trade mid-level exemptions and expiring contracts for picks?

https://www.nba.com/news/2024-nba-draft-picks-knicks

*** They just traded another player drafted to Dallas*** no info on what they received in return?! It has to be gaining more Cap space and getting further away from luxury tax!

Edited by 32EBoozer
Another trade!

Finally got our Center. Interesting prospect 

Overview

Hukporti might be 22 years old, but he has plenty of experience at the professional level for a player of his age. He made his professional debut with MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg in 2018-19, racking up 20 total appearances for the club across two seasons. He later moved to Nevezis in Lithuania where he averaged 10.2 points and 7.4 rebounds across 22.8 minutes per game in 19 appearances. Hukporti spent the next two seasons in the Australian NBL with Melbourne United, racking up 55 appearances and averaging 8.4 points with 7.0 rebounds per contest in 2023-24. His final step before the 2024 NBA Draft was a three-game stint in Germany with MHP Riesen where he averaged 14.3 minutes per contest.

Analysis

The 22-year-old has a strong frame as a seven-foot, 245-pound interior presence. This allows him to thrive as a rebounder and screen-setter, two skills that should translate well to the NBA level. He plays with energy and hustles for every ball, but he doesn’t get enough credit for his ability to finish near the rim. Even though his game is far from being refined, it’s worth noting he can be a decent finisher in pick-and-roll and lob situations, as well as hustle points. He’s an excellent rebounder, and his energy makes him a threat on the offensive glass. Plus, he can thrive in several defensive settings. His size and instincts also allow him to be an above-average blocker. He projects as a role player early in his career and will have to earn minutes with his rebounding, interior defense and ability to run the floor.

Projection

Hukporti could end up being a starting center at the NBA level at some point, particularly if his offensive game continues to develop. However, he seems the type of player who might make a bigger impact on the defensive of the ball with his size, disruptive presence and energy. That doesn’t mean he won’t be a valuable contributor on offense, but for that to happen, he’ll need to adapt his game to the style of today’s NBA. Hukporti might end up being a backup role in the mold of Bruno Fernando or James Wiseman. Either way, he projects as a role player, at least to start his career.

https://www.nba.com/draft/2024/prospect ... hukporti-2

• Upvote 2