Tankathon (2023-24 Season Edition)

11 hours ago, derp said:

Theoretically probably 3, if they lose next week with no negative SOS changes and maximum help - but that’d mean the Pats beat the Bills and Jets, the Commanders beat the 49ers and Cowboys, and the Giants either beat the Rams and Eagles or win one of those and their SOS ticks above the Jets’ (currently .512 and .516).

Assuming none of those happen then 6 with a loss and help - move up one slot from 9 for at least one win from each LAC (@DEN, KC), TEN (@HOU, JAX) and CHI (ATL, @GB).

If they beat the Pats wins from ATL, NO, GB, LV, DEN, and MIN stop them from dropping down. I think 12 is worst case since GB plays MIN this week and ATL and NO plus DEN and LV play week 18. With CHI/ATL and LAC/DEN this week the better outcome may depend a little on whether the Jets win or lose week 18. Then losers of those games winning other weeks would stop the Jets from moving as far as 12 if they beat the Pats.

That’s deep. Hoping we can somehow get to 5. That would be astonishing. The one game being an obstacle is the Giants beating the Rams who are playing well and in a playoff race. Game is in NY so that’s a plus for Giants. The Chargers, Titans and Bears have all played better recently so it’s going to be an interesting last 2 weeks of the season. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Maynard13 said:

That’s deep. Hoping we can somehow get to 5. That would be astonishing. The one game being an obstacle is the Giants beating the Rams who are playing well and in a playoff race. Game is in NY so that’s a plus for Giants. The Chargers, Titans and Bears have all played better recently so it’s going to be an interesting last 2 weeks of the season. 

The Giants actually have a shot if Tommy Cutlets is on the bench and Tyrod starts.

• Upvote 3

On 12/26/2023 at 9:54 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Bears are taking Caleb Williams. 

Don’t think so. It would be dumb. Fields has played much better over last few weeks. They’d have to start from scratch with Caleb and they probably wouldn’t get much trade value for Fields. They could trade the pick and get a stockpile of picks. They are rebuilding. They need talent. Perfect opportunity to get some much need ammo over next 2 years. And they still have their own first rounder at 7-10. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jets will be getting the left tackle they so desperately need btwn 6-8 in the draft after we lose next week.  Sit tight jet fans!!!!!!!!!

Really difficult to project who will be there at 6. This draft is going to be a woozy. Lot of teams need a QB - Raiders, Cards(could they be done with Murray), Pats, Wash, Bears ?, Falcons. Any trade up is going to affect the top 10 drastically. Of course the more QB’s taken before we pick the better chance of getting Alt or Fashanau. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Don’t think so. It would be dumb. Fields has played much better over last few weeks. They’d have to start from scratch with Caleb and they probably wouldn’t get much trade value for Fields. They could trade the pick and get a stockpile of picks. They are rebuilding. They need talent. Perfect opportunity to get some much need ammo over next 2 years. And they still have their own first rounder at 7-10. 

I heard the other day that the Bears' players love Fields and don't want him to be replaced.  If they trade Caleb, they can >really< load up on picks going forward.  That would be an interesting strategy.  I wish the Jets were able to load up on picks.  I've always kind of wanted that type of approach but maybe the Bears are going to follow through with it.  Could you imagine constantly trading back each year for future #1's (much like the Pats did for years but IIRC, usually for lower round picks)?  That would be one way to avoid the whole "we have to win now because these players will need to get paid" issue (that the Jets will be facing soon enough).

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I heard the other day that the Bears' players love Fields and don't want him to be replaced.  If they trade Caleb, they can >really< load up on picks going forward.  That would be an interesting strategy.  I wish the Jets were able to load up on picks.  I've always kind of wanted that type of approach but maybe the Bears are going to follow through with it.  Could you imagine constantly trading back each year for future #1's (much like the Pats did for years but IIRC, usually for lower round picks)?  That would be one way to avoid the whole "we have to win now because these players will need to get paid" issue (that the Jets will be facing soon enough).

It’s more about resetting the rookie qb contract.  Taking caleb allows them way more time on a qb rookie contract

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s more about resetting the rookie qb contract.  Taking caleb allows them way more time on a qb rookie contract

No its not. Its about getting better and keeping Fields and a trade back makes that way more possible. its a golden opportunity that would be foolish to pass up. They could get 2 #1's and extra picks easily.  Look what the Niners gave up to get Lance.  The stakes have been going up for the value of that #1 pick over the recent years.

48 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

No its not. Its about getting better and keeping Fields and a trade back makes that way more possible. its a golden opportunity that would be foolish to pass up. They could get 2 #1's and extra picks easily.  Look what the Niners gave up to get Lance.  The stakes have been going up for the value of that #1 pick over the recent years.

The thing is, it’s not just about Fields getting better. Has he done enough to earn the contract that is looming soon? I don’t think so and Chicago won’t have Carolina’s #1 pick again next year. 

Draft Fields’ replacement + try and trade Fields in the offseason and if not start Fields next year until the rookie is ready.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

The thing is, it’s not just about Fields getting better. Has he done enough to earn the contract that is looming soon? I don’t think so and Chicago won’t have Carolina’s #1 pick again next year. 

Draft Fields’ replacement + try and trade Fields in the offseason and if not start Fields next year until the rookie is ready.

Nah. But ok. Trade him to the Jets for the 2024 season and let him sit behind Rodgers a couple years.  He should have been the pick instead Zach the Wack. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Aren’t the ideas that the Bears should move forward with Fields instead of their choice of QB in what’s supposed to be a strong class and that they wouldn’t get much for Fields in a trade kind of opposed to each other?

If he’s worth moving forward with they should get a good return in a trade, if he’s not valuable enough for them to get a good return in a trade then they should reset the QB rookie deal.

2 hours ago, derp said:

Aren’t the ideas that the Bears should move forward with Fields instead of their choice of QB in what’s supposed to be a strong class and that they wouldn’t get much for Fields in a trade kind of opposed to each other?

If he’s worth moving forward with they should get a good return in a trade, if he’s not valuable enough for them to get a good return in a trade then they should reset the QB rookie deal.

they wont get a #1 for him which is what they spent on him. Not to mention the few years they have invested in him just to have some other team reap the benefits of him maturing.  And they would lose out on what would be a massive haul in trade value.  They are 100% trading the #1 pick.  Hey they could still trade back and get a QB. I wouldnt. I like fields and would have taken him over Zach. I wouldnt be shocked if they trade out of their 2nd 1st rounder either. Their roster sucks and they need a lot of talent to build around. hey could easily come out of the forst round with 5-6 players in first two rounds AND extra high picks next year.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

they wont get a #1 for him which is what they spent on him. Not to mention the few years they have invested in him just to have some other team reap the benefits of him maturing.  And they would lose out on what would be a massive haul in trade value.  They are 100% trading the #1 pick.  Hey they could still trade back and get a QB. I wouldnt. I like fields and would have taken him over Zach. I wouldnt be shocked if they trade out of their 2nd 1st rounder either. Their roster sucks and they need a lot of talent to build around. hey could easily come out of the forst round with 5-6 players in first two rounds AND extra high picks next year.

I would have taken Fields over Wilson too. None of that makes Fields not good enough to get a good return on and simultaneously a reason to pass on the top QB in a strong QB class.

They’re pretty close to needing to decide whether they want to pay him at least $40M a year. The rookie allows them to reset and see if they can bring in a player they actually feel certainty about before he’s due for a deal.

6 minutes ago, derp said:

I would have taken Fields over Wilson too. None of that makes Fields not good enough to get a good return on and simultaneously a reason to pass on the top QB in a strong QB class.

They’re pretty close to needing to decide whether they want to pay him at least $40M a year. The rookie allows them to reset and see if they can bring in a player they actually feel certainty about before he’s due for a deal.

40M a year? are u bugging? He'll have to prove that he is improving, playoffs etc before he gets an annual salary like that.  And a #1 pick gets paid as well. A lot.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

40M a year? are u bugging? He'll have to prove that he is improving, playoffs etc before he gets an annual salary like that.  And a #1 pick gets paid as well. A lot.

That’s the cheapest recent young quarterback contract I can think of - Daniel Jones. Cart’s the other recent low level QB deal and he got $37.5M as a 32 year old who had just gotten cut. What kind of extension do you think Fields is going to be willing to sign to stick around and not hit the open market?

Bryce Young is making $9.5M/Y. Difference between rookie and veteran QB deals is substantial.

• Upvote 1

image.png.7daf791a320e173aa3cd3df44fe65cb2.png

Washington with the #2 overall pick right now but they play Dallas next week while the Pats play us.  So if they end up with the same records, the Pats will pick #2.  Arizona in the mix as well but their SOS looks to be much too high to win in a tie-breaker.

In short, we need the Pats to beat us next week or else Drake Maye is theirs (if they want him).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

image.png.7daf791a320e173aa3cd3df44fe65cb2.png

Washington with the #2 overall pick right now but they play Dallas next week while the Pats play us.  So if they end up with the same records, the Pats will pick #2.  Arizona in the mix as well but their SOS looks to be much to high to win in a tie-breaker.

In short, we need the Pats to beat us next week or else Drake Maye is theirs (if they want him).

God this game will be painful

if we beat the pats though where do we end up ?