Thanksgiving feast questions from a Canadian to my American friends...

Beerfish

24 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Giant antipasto plate to start things off while waiting for the soup. 

Chicken Soup first

Then Lasagna (my favorite) 

Then, bring out all the sides and the Turkey.  Every year, we give the turkey a name.  This year, I gonna recommend we call him Zach and then we stick a fork in him.  

Usual Sides: Cranberry sauce, mashed sweet potato, stuffing, stuffed mushrooms, corn, carrots, cream spinach, mashed potato, green beans, mac cheese.

Deserts... Pastries, pies, Italian ice. 

We usually have about 30 people and everyone makes one of the things above so no one person gets stuck with all the work.  I got off easy this year.  I bring the wine and other drinks. 

This is such a great thread I was hoping nobody would bring up our QB. 
You made me laugh the way you did it though. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

My Nana was a great cook, even her salads were the best.

She would make giant meatballs, but some how they were still light, so you could eat 5 or 6 lol.

We had Italian and traditional thanksgiving and just when you thought there couldn't possibly be any more food, she'd come out like this...

image.png.e6967a51da14be97710f0fa0ba210797.png

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Port is a man’s wine. Pirate wine. Good on you. 

Pirates didn’t have microorganism-free fresh water.

I don’t know what the modern day non-pirate excuse is…after Halloween is over. 

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Sir, we call that “taking the nose.” 

That phrase makes it sound even worse. It makes me want to imagine such folk deeply “taking the nose” in @Trotter’s brother’s toilet after one of his weeklong full-container of raw ricotta cheese benders. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yes, for both Scotch and for Port.

Sorry….

When I’m belly up from beer, I switch to Pinot noir or an old fashion. I gotta get me one of them smoking machines and some brandy soaked cherries. Smoked old fashions are addictive.

As for scotch, I am a glenlivet or McCallan dude. I bought the mccallan special edition number 6 two years ago for $200.00 and it was better than the 18 year old. One serving per event (first one) with that sh*t and then back to 12 year old.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That phrase makes it sound even worse. It makes me want to imagine such folk deeply “taking the nose” in @Trotter’s brother’s toilet after one of his weeklong full-container of raw ricotta cheese benders. 

Do you pick a pint of nitetrain or thunderbird for your thanksgiving activities?

@Mrs. Sperm must like wine? she was, and always will  be cooler than you

11 minutes ago, BP said:

Do you pick a pint of nitetrain or thunderbird for your thanksgiving activities?

@Mrs. Sperm must like wine? she was, and always will  be cooler than you

Not as much as she used to, but she’s a woman so she’s allowed anyway, as she is also allowed to drink those fruity beers she likes (not merely cider; pumpkin, pomegranate, etc.). She also drinks her bourbon neat so it balances out. 

I’ll pass on the compliment, even at the risk of her realizing you’re right.

Happy Thanksgiving, brother!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We call that "taking the sinus"

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not as much as she used to, but she’s a woman so she’s allowed anyway, as she is also allowed to drink those fruity beers she likes (not merely cider; pumpkin, pomegranate, etc.). She also drinks her bourbon neat so it balances out. 

I’ll pass on the compliment, even at the risk of her realizing you’re right.

Happy Thanksgiving, brother!

Happy thanksgiving!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

We need to get @The Crusher @Dcat and @southparkcpa in here…

Thanks for the invite….  Im going to Canton for Thanksgiving.  GF family pulls no punches.  I have been watching my diet and alcohol intake but that goes away today.  Pumpkin pie, Pecan pie, Craft beer and if i have room left, some turkey.   

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So up here in Canada we have our thanksgiving a good month or more before the 'real' thanksgiving.  (Why this is I do not know.)

It appears to be a much bigger deal in the USA, here we have a day off and the feast but it seems a bit more low key.

So a few feast related questions:

- Is green bean casserole as vile as it sounds?  I mean I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy, potatoes and gravy, stuffing, turkey, cranberry sauce, even love ham if it is on the menu for a feast.  I do not want to use valuable 'plate space' on a green bean casserole.  I mean if you are going to force me to eat a veggie other than taters at least make it one of the good veggies.  The worst is if you have to be polite and try the stuff if someone has made it.  (I fully expect to be scolded on this and told how ya'lls aunts, wife's, mothers green bean casserole is divine.)

- I know we have a LOT of Italians on this site....(yeah....tomato gravy instead of tomato sauce).  Is there any traditional Italian dishes you prepare and have at thanksgiving?   I love Italian food but have rarely had the 'real thing' as opposed to simulated stuff.

- Who mostly prepares the feast?  Do you?  The wife?  Mother or mother in law?  Or have you finally trained your adult kids to invite you over so you can sit in the easy chair drink wine watch football and let everyone else do the work?

(And yes I do have friends don't be mean suggesting otherwise!)

tenor.gif?itemid=16038076

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I probably should have added a little context yesterday

my brother was mildly autistic. Sadly he passed away this summer and this is our first thanksgiving without him

part of his autism was he could not comprehend food portions. He would pike as much on that would fill his plate or in this case continually eat a 3 lb container of ricotta

part of it is sad and part is funny because you would watch him and while he weighed about 170 would put it all away

my favorite was my grandmother would cut a cantaloupe in half, remove the seeds fill the cavity with vanilla ice cream, wet walnuts chic syrup and whipped cream

yes my brother would eat the whole thing

happy Thanksgiving to all and it would be great if we did this thread every year

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So up here in Canada we have our thanksgiving a good month or more before the 'real' thanksgiving.  (Why this is I do not know.)

It appears to be a much bigger deal in the USA, here we have a day off and the feast but it seems a bit more low key.

So a few feast related questions:

- Is green bean casserole as vile as it sounds?  I mean I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy, potatoes and gravy, stuffing, turkey, cranberry sauce, even love ham if it is on the menu for a feast.  I do not want to use valuable 'plate space' on a green bean casserole.  I mean if you are going to force me to eat a veggie other than taters at least make it one of the good veggies.  The worst is if you have to be polite and try the stuff if someone has made it.  (I fully expect to be scolded on this and told how ya'lls aunts, wife's, mothers green bean casserole is divine.)

- I know we have a LOT of Italians on this site....(yeah....tomato gravy instead of tomato sauce).  Is there any traditional Italian dishes you prepare and have at thanksgiving?   I love Italian food but have rarely had the 'real thing' as opposed to simulated stuff.

- Who mostly prepares the feast?  Do you?  The wife?  Mother or mother in law?  Or have you finally trained your adult kids to invite you over so you can sit in the easy chair drink wine watch football and let everyone else do the work?

(And yes I do have friends don't be mean suggesting otherwise!)

“Plate space”, lol. I like my wife’s green bean casserole, but use it more as a garnish. The wife cooks, we usually are joined by long time family friends who bring dishes. Italian sausage is a regular part of our stuffing. Interesting we had a large group at a local Italian restaurant last night…..after cooking for 2 days wife wasn’t excited about another dinner at home.

Happy Thanksgiving @Beerfish, all our Canadian friends and to everyone.

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Men who drink wine are insufferable.

Ah Sperm, some truth to that for sure. I’m trotting out a pair of 2007 Anomoly Cabs for today, a pair of 2018 Stewart Pinot Noir and a pair of 2020 Domaine des Berthiers Pouilly Fume. For the pies we have a magnum of Iron Horse Wedding Cuvée sparkling. There will be 8 of us drinking, so just enough. Whatever your drink of choice, enjoy!

12 hours ago, Trotter said:

Are you familiar with Jordan winery out of Sonoma?

picked up a few bottles but have not tried it yet

supposed to be good

maybe tomorrow

I've liked Jordans for decades.  Usually quite good.  It used to be a medium priced bottle, not too expensive.  Haven't had any in at least 5 years.

44 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

Ah Sperm, some truth to that for sure. I’m trotting out a pair of 2007 Anomoly Cabs for today, a pair of 2018 Stewart Pinot Noir and a pair of 2020 Domaine des Berthiers Pouilly Fume. For the pies we have a magnum of Iron Horse Wedding Cuvée sparkling. There will be 8 of us drinking, so just enough. Whatever your drink of choice, enjoy!

If only you had a pair of testicles you could bypass all of that nonsense ;) 

Happy Thanksgiving anyway.

24 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I probably should have added a little context yesterday

my brother was mildly autistic. Sadly he passed away this summer and this is our first thanksgiving without him

part of his autism was he could not comprehend food portions. He would pike as much on that would fill his plate or in this case continually eat a 3 lb container of ricotta

part of it is sad and part is funny because you would watch him and while he weighed about 170 would put it all away

my favorite was my grandmother would cut a cantaloupe in half, remove the seeds fill the cavity with vanilla ice cream, wet walnuts chic syrup and whipped cream

yes my brother would eat the whole thing

happy Thanksgiving to all and it would be great if we did this thread every year

Sorry about your brother. Hopefully this is only bringing up fond memories, and it sounds like it is. Happy Thanksgiving, Trotter.

12 hours ago, JiF said:

This year, in addition to doing the turkey, I'm doing a wine pairing from w/ all the incredible estate bottles we purchased when we visited Paso/Sonoma/Napa during the harvest.  We will be starting w/ a delicious Rose, finding our way to a delightful Pinot w/ the Turkey and then busting out a 40 year old Port w/ dessert. 

Rose, nice.