Who sits behind Rogers next season

SoJetsy

7 minutes ago, maury77 said:

The draft capital required is the biggest hurdle IMO. That being said, I wonder if Garrett Wilson (Fields's college teammate) is in the staff's ear asking for this. 

I think it’s more the connection between Hackett-Getsy, coupled with the Jets desire to have a young talented QB to develop behind Rodgers. Zach was the guy they had in the building who fit that mold, but just feels like that relationship has become irreparable. The next logical option would be the guy who they had rated just behind him in the 2021 draft. 

I’d be all for it, just don’t expect it to happen. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

Kindly provide us with statistics that backup your assertion that Fields is "slightly" better than Zach. 

They have both started 11 games this season. Wilson has more passing yards than Fields, they have essentially the same completion %, Fields has a higher TD % but also a higher INT %. They have an almost identical number of sacks taken per game. Fields has more TD passes by a large margin; more than half of them came in 2 games.

Fields' biggest advantage over Wilson is his rushing, which peaked last season. Fields will get injured at least once every season until he retires, especially if he came to the Jets. He will never have a season like he did in 2022 again.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

They have both started 11 games this season. Wilson has more passing yards than Fields, they have essentially the same completion %, Fields has a higher TD % but also a higher INT %. They have an almost identical number of sacks taken per game. Fields has more TD passes by a large margin; more than half of them came in 2 games.
Fields' biggest advantage over Wilson is his rushing, which peaked last season. Fields will get injured at least once every season until he retires, especially if he came to the Jets. He will never have a season like he did in 2022 again.
.well.done.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Hex said:

That's fair, but you left our that Fields has a better passer rating and yards per attempt. And if you are going to discount 2 of Fields's games, you should do the same with Zach's game against the Texans. 

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

That's fair, but you left our that Fields has a better passer rating and yards per attempt. And if you are going to discount 2 of Fields's games, you should do the same with Zach's game against the Texans. 

I'm fine discounting Zach's Texans game. Passingwise they still have similar statistics. And yes Fields is better in those 2 statistics.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

You’re seriously trying to argue Bustin Fields is better than Trevor Lawrence.  You lost what little credibility you ever had

Bears GM Ryan Pace is on the verge of building a dynasty for years to come with next years draft. Let's see if he pulls a Joe Dogass, and blows it.

37 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Almost 5 pages in and no mention of Mike White?  Only signed a 1 year deal with MIA, he shouldn’t have a ton of suitors, and should not cost much.

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Would not mind this.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

He signed a 2-year deal with the Dolphins when he was acquired - he’s under contract in ‘24.

https://overthecap.com/player/mike-white/7056

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Hex said:

No, I like TDs. I'd be surprised if Fields managed to replicate his 2 good games again. Outside of those 2 he has sucked this season. I guess he also played well in terms of rushing in a few games too.

image.png.4e8cb65532fb5256b6e336e1e46d0c15.png

Not to mention he has never averaged 200 or more yards per game in any season of his career. You're asking for a slightly better version of Zach Wilson with an upside of being able to run pretty well. I sure hope you want better than that.

That's not even talking about injury. Fields has yet to complete a season.

And don't forget that the Bears will probably try to overprice him to the Jets, as well.

Dude has as many TDs in 18 games as the Jets have combined in 36 but yo!  He’s only a lil better than Zach.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

So this stat you are using as exhibit A for how great Justin Fields is he’s basically middle of the pack in the NFL which by definition is mediocre 

You don’t understand how scoring TDs matter.  I get it, you’re a Jets fan.  You like 6-3 balls games with great kicking! 

• Upvote 2

On 12/30/2023 at 2:53 PM, football guy said:

Because you don’t go into the season expecting to lose your starting QB.

That is why JD is a poor GM. 

He gets a recently (thumb) injured 40 year old QB, doesn't contingency plan for injury.

He has two high drafted O-linemen both hurt last year, doesn't properly contingency plan for their injuries/poor play either.

No QB, no O-line, weak at WR (other than Wilson) after 5 years as GM.  He's earned a firing, he's lucky he doesn't get one.

On 12/30/2023 at 3:50 PM, Maxman said:

I understand what you are saying but the chance to play for Hackett is a major selling point lol.

Really though, you have a great shot to play if you're a backup. 40 year old, major injury, win now defense. Good skill guys.

It's a good opportunity.

Come on Max, you’re a terrific fan but let’s be real about the offense… two good skill guys a RB and a WR. The OL is abysmal, there’s no depth at all at RB no other average talent in the WR corps. The TE group is terrible also. Conklin is okay but everyone else are a bunch of Yeboah’s.

That side of the ball needs way too much help to be fixed in one year. 41yo Rodgers isn’t putting them on his shoulders and carrying them to the finish line.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That is why JD is a poor GM. 

He gets a recently (thumb) injured 40 year old QB, doesn't contingency plan for injury.

He has two high drafted O-linemen both hurt last year, doesn't properly contingency plan for their injuries/poor play either.

No QB, no O-line, weak at WR (other than Wilson) after 5 years as GM.  He's earned a firing, he's lucky he doesn't get one.

Joe made many mistakes. His attempts at “rebuilding” the OL over the past 4 years? Awful. Not addressing WR post Corey Davis retirement? Awful. Succumbing to Rodgers wishes and signing aging FAs who proved to be shells of themselves? Simpish. Not splurging on a “big name” backup QB is not one of them. 

Rodgers may have had injuries in 2022 but how many games did he miss? How many has he missed in his entire career? There is no evidence to suggest that being 39-40 years old should’ve been some indication that Rodgers would miss time (his only missed game in the last 5 years was COVID related). And in a hypothetical world, let’s say Rodgers did stay healthy but missed a string of games (we’ll call it 3). You really mean to tell me that Wilson was not good enough to spot start? His record this year was 5-7 when you factor in the Bills game. How many more wins can you possibly expect out of a backup QB?

Now let’s continue playing this little hypothetical game. Who realistically was signing here as a backup that would’ve given us a better chance at winning? Gardner Minshew was not signing here- he chose to follow Steichen to IND understanding he would be competing for a starting job. Jacoby Brissett was not signing here- he chose to sign with Washington understanding he would be competing for a starting job. The same can be said for Baker Mayfield, Taylor Heinicke, Andy Dalton etc. Josh Dobbs - traded to ARI due to the OC’s familiarity with him - could’ve been had via trade, but how is that working out? What was Wentz going to do to save this team?

The only 2 logical options that could’ve been had? Mike White and Joe Flacco. Fans can cry and pout all they want that they were better options; what did they do for this team last year on what was likely a better offense? Last I checked they went 2-6 combined last year, but I’m supposed to believe they would’ve saved this season behind a worse offensive line, with worse weapons in the passing game, and with worse play calling. Give me a break.

It’s simple: when Rodgers went down, this offense was doomed. There are a handful of QBs in the NFL who could overcome deficient OL and coaching; he’s one of them. Outside of him, plug and play whatever backup you want- the result would be no different. Remove the narratives and emotion surrounding Wilson and it’s obvious.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

Joe made many mistakes. His attempts at “rebuilding” the OL over the past 4 years? Awful. Not addressing WR post Corey Davis retirement? Awful. Succumbing to Rodgers wishes and signing aging FAs who proved to be shells of themselves? Simpish. Not splurging on a “big name” backup QB is not one of them. 

No one needed a "big name".

They needed Zach sidelines (#3 or cut) and a competent pro-level QB signed.  You can claim none would have signed, but that's speculation, money changes minds more than supposed, maybe-a-shot-start-but-probably-not-unless-injury spots.  Use that Cook money on a QB instead, for example.

JD gambled on Zach "getting it" and it failed miserably.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No one needed a "big name".

They needed Zach sidelines (#3 or cut) and a competent pro-level QB signed.  You can claim none would have signed, but that's speculation, money changes minds more than supposed, maybe-a-shot-start-but-probably-not-unless-injury spots.  Use that Cook money on a QB instead, for example.

JD gambled on Zach "getting it" and it failed miserably.  

Ok, so enlighten me: which QB could they have realistically added whom would’ve changed the outcome of this season and how so? 

This should be comical

• More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Ok, so enlighten me: which QB could they have added whom would’ve changed the outcome of this season and how so? 

This should be comical

Change the outcome? Like win more games.? The easiest answer would have been to give Simien the first team reps the second Rodgers went down. Flacco an obvious call and an obvious upgrade. Wentz too. All of these players are significantly better than Wilson. Things could have been done. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Change the outcome? Like win more games.? The easiest answer would have been to give Simien the first team reps the second Rodgers went down. Flacco an obvious call and an obvious upgrade. Wentz too. All of these players are significantly better than Wilson. Things could have been done. 

You really believe that all the options mentioned would’ve changed the outcome (yes this means win more games)? You really think reps is what’s holding Siemien back? Have you watched any of our games?

image.gif.ebb49a453e5d9a9a7d76d8447b192185.gif

• More Ugh 1

Just now, football guy said:

You really believe that all the options mentioned would’ve changed the outcome? You really think reps is what’s holding Siemien back? Have you watched any of our games?

image.gif.ebb49a453e5d9a9a7d76d8447b192185.gif

Simien is a better player than Wilson. But yeah bringing in an actual pro like Wentz who can throw and move would have been a significant upgrade. The jets intentionally tied themselves to a QB who everyone knew couldn’t play. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Simien is a better player than Wilson. But yeah bringing in an actual pro like Wentz who can throw and move would have been a significant upgrade. The jets intentionally tied themselves to a QB who everyone knew couldn’t play. 

Wilson Derangement Syndrome

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Rodgers may have had injuries in 2022 but how many games did he miss? How many has he missed in his entire career? There is no evidence to suggest that being 39-40 years old should’ve been some indication that Rodgers would miss time (his only missed game in the last 5 years was COVID related). And in a hypothetical world, let’s say Rodgers did stay healthy but missed a string of games (we’ll call it 3). You really mean to tell me that Wilson was not good enough to spot start? His record this year was 5-7 when you factor in the Bills game. How many more wins can you possibly expect out of a backup QB?

Now let’s continue playing this little hypothetical game. Who realistically was signing here as a backup that would’ve given us a better chance at winning? Gardner Minshew was not signing here- he chose to follow Steichen to IND understanding he would be competing for a starting job. Jacoby Brissett was not signing here- he chose to sign with Washington understanding he would be competing for a starting job. The same can be said for Baker Mayfield, Taylor Heinicke, Andy Dalton etc. Josh Dobbs - traded to ARI due to the OC’s familiarity with him - could’ve been had via trade, but how is that working out? What was Wentz going to do to save this team?

The only 2 logical options that could’ve been had? Mike White and Joe Flacco. Fans can cry and pout all they want that they were better options; what did they do for this team last year on what was likely a better offense? Last I checked they went 2-6 combined last year, but I’m supposed to believe they would’ve saved this season behind a worse offensive line, with worse weapons in the passing game, and with worse play calling. Give me a break.

It’s simple: when Rodgers went down, this offense was doomed. There are a handful of QBs in the NFL who could overcome deficient OL and coaching; he’s one of them. Outside of him, plug and play whatever backup you want- the result would be no different. Remove the narratives and emotion surrounding Wilson and it’s obvious.

Fine make Zack the #2

What was ....let's say strange.... was the #3 Boyle - has there ever been an NFL QB with worse stats in college and nfl?  The guy didnt even belong on a PS.  Yeah yeah AR guy - even if he was they could have said no.

Not drafting a guy like Tune last draft was a mistake in my mind anyway

When AR went down after seeing Zach barely moving offense, then failing to move the offense they should have brought in someone....ANYONE...the easy answer was Flacco but whatever if that would have been too much damage to ZW then I am sure there were others.

What did they do?  They let it just fall apart because?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Fine make Zack the #2

What was ....let's say strange.... was the #3 Boyle - has there ever been an NFL QB with worse stats in college and nfl?  The guy didnt even belong on a PS.  Yeah yeah AR guy - even if he was they could have said no.

Not drafting a guy like Tune last draft was a mistake in my mind anyway

When AR went down after seeing Zach barely moving offense, then failing to move the offense they should have brought in someone....ANYONE...the easy answer was Flacco but whatever if that would have been too much damage to ZW then I am sure there were others.

What did they do?  They let it just fall apart because?

Look- I’m not arguing whether options existed or not, but some of the takes are sensational. Most teams structure their QB rooms the same way: starter, backup, playbook guy. It’s not like the Jets were doing something that was uncommon. 

We can debate what they should’ve done after injury, what players were better options, etc. Makes sense. But it shocks me that anyone thinks it would’ve mattered. This offense is atrocious and while there are many compounding reasons for their ineptitude, the primary one is the offensive line.

Nothing is different about Flacco himself this year vs. last. The difference is his supporting cast and coaching. He would not be the Flacco we’re seeing right now here. Carson Wentz is a guy who I agree is better than given credit, but there’s history of him being a distraction and a bad locker room guy. He went to the Rams for a reason: to rehab his image. Matt Ryan would’ve died on the field.