Who’s the last Jets positional coach or coordinator to get a promotion with another organization?

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Bueller

But with word the running backs coach is leaving, does anyone know? Also fascinating that winning teams are gutting staffs while the Jets remain mostly as is.

Ya know there is this thing on the internet called Google. 

John Lewis Lol GIF by Waitrose & Partners

7 hours ago, bonkertons said:

If Rodgers played the whole season and we still missed the playoffs, you'd 100% see a new staff next year.  We'd probably be drafting a QB as well.

As far as the question, no idea.  I'm sure it's happened but I can't remember a specific example.

Jim Harbaugh and Mike Vrabel are available this year though.  And this is supposed to be a great QB draft.  So, of course, next year will be the year we need new everything!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Bueller

But with word the running backs coach is leaving, does anyone know? Also fascinating that winning teams are gutting staffs while the Jets remain mostly as is.

Terrific question!  I remember Romo saying that Ulbrich was going to be a HC.  Yet there are literally zero rumors of him going anywhere.

6 hours ago, BCJet said:

This thread exemplifies why the fans who want to fire JD need to take a deep breath and think about what he inherited (yes it was a while ago) and what we would wind up with once he is gone.

The jets front office personnel (and one Coach who is also completely out of football) dont get fired and simply find new jobs for another team, they cant even find employment in the NFL or college.

John Idzik - Assistant to the GM for the jags.  Note, not Assistant GM, he is the Assistant to the GM - essentially a traveling secretary.

Mike Macagnan - completely out of football

Anyone who is in a role as important as Woody Johnson has to have a network of people they can turn to when they need to fill executive level roles in their organization.  Instead, he is a complete bufoon who has no respect in the league and has to call people like Charlie Casserly to recommend people for top roles.   Think about how insanely bad Woody must be - this is an NFL team, located in New York, that is the 9th most valuable franchise in all of sports and when you go out to find someone to lead it, you wind up with Mike Macagnan and John Idzik.  Not great....

Don't forget Gase, who was coaching to where the sport was heading (or something like that).  This franchise is absolutely pathetic!

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Terrific question!  I remember Romo saying that Ulbrich was going to be a HC.  Yet there are literally zero rumors of him going anywhere.

Don't forget Gase, who was coaching to where the sport was heading (or something like that).  This franchise is absolutely pathetic!

Ulbrich is not a HC. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Ulbrich is not a HC. 

I never thought so.  I'm not even convinced that he's an above average DC.  When the talent level stunk, our defense stunk (e.g. we lost 54-13 to Mac Jones).  Now that the talent level is very good, so is our defense (though, admittedly, there were games where it didn't feel that way).

From what I've seen so far I think he's been a "meets expectations" type of DC.   Fwiw, that puts him towering above our HC and OC.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

i dont think he thought this many big name HC would be looking for new jobs.

after they all find a new home maybe the lesser guys like him might get a interview.

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Bueller

if by fascinating you mean utmost stupid, then yes, it is fascinating

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I never thought so.  I'm not even convinced that he's an above average DC.  When the talent level stunk, our defense stunk (e.g. we lost 54-13 to Mac Jones).  Now that the talent level is very good, so is our defense (though, admittedly, there were games where it didn't feel that way).

From what I've seen so far I think he's been a "meets expectations" type of DC.   Fwiw, that puts him towering above our HC and OC.

its hard to judge guys who come from the same side as the HC. is this his defense or Salehs defense. was that Andy Reids offense or Benemies? 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Ulbrich is not a HC. 

If the Jets have a successful year, and the defense is good, and there are not other good offensive candidates available, Ulbrich could end up an HC.  Like Brandon Staley, Matt Eberflus, DeMeco Ryans, Jerod Mayo, sort of Antonio Pierce.  

I think Ulbrich needs to raise his game a bit to be considered in the category of the above.  

Sean McVay hired Mike LaFleur as his new offensive coordinator this offseason, replacing Liam Coen in that role. The scheme could change a little bit with LaFleur on the staff, but one thing won’t be any different: the offensive play caller.

It was believed that McVay would still call the plays on offense, but since he hasn’t spoken to the media since hiring LaFleur, their plan wasn’t completely clear. In a recent interview on the “Rams Revealed podcast, LaFleur confirmed McVay will remain the play caller.

“Sean’s still going to call the plays, yes?” J.B. Long asked.

“Yes,” LaFleur replied.

Long asked LaFleur if he’s “good with that,” to which he responded by saying he looks forward to calling plays again down the line, but his primary goal right now is to win games.

Oh My George Takai GIF