NFL Salary cap to see $30 Million Increase

Just now, BigRy56 said:

I think Mosely will get a true extension that will bring his cap number down significantly while keeping him locked in for the next couple of years

IMO It would be idiotic to cut him outright. Especially given that this regime has to win this season.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

IMO It would be idiotic to cut him outright. Especially given that this regime has to win this season.

I agree. There’s no way he’s getting cut. He’s an enormous part of the Jets top defense - he just is overpaid and that can get fixed 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The easiest thing in the NFL to find is an ILB that makes tackles.

Mosley does not blitz, Mosley can't cover anyone.

He makes tackles.  You find Ilbs that can make tackles as cheap vet FA or mid to later round draft pick or later round trade.

As for the over blown 'leadership' angle, a week after he was gone a new leader of the D would take over.

People talk about restructuring as if Kramer was talking about insurance companies...'You just write it off!'

You are pushing liaiblites for that player into the future, that is all you are doing.

right...just tackle. ok.

• Upvote 2

Let's look at the top 15 in tackles LBs from last year.

Bobby Wagner - 1 year 7 million dollar FA contract

Zaire Franklin - 7th rounder, 4 million dollars

Alex Singelton - UDFA from the CFL, 6 million

Foysade Oluokon - 6th rounder, 15 million

Aziz Al-Shieer - UDFA, 5 million

Roquon Smith - 1st rounder, 20 million

TJ Edwards - UDFA, 6.5 million

TJ Mosley - 17 millon

Bobby Okereke - 3rd rounder, 3.6 million

Robert Spillane - UDFA, 3,5 million

Ernest Jones - 3rd rounder, rookie deal

Terrel Bernard - 3rd rounder 1 million

Quincy Williams - UDFA, 6 million

Camryn Bynum - 4th rounder rookie deal

Logan Wilson - 3rd rounder rookie deal

Mid to late round picks, UDFA guys signed to cheap value FA contracts and a couple of big money high pick players.

The Jets have SEVERE offensive needs and a much more impactful guy like Huff and we are going to keep having the utter luxury of a huge money ILB that makes tackles.

• Upvote 2

Jets are 21st in cap room.  They can get more room but agents all around the league just told their clients that they are going for blood, the commanders are sitting on almost 90 million in room and the agents want to wet their beaks in that lol. 

100% guaranteed Huff and his agent want to get at all that cash. The jets would have to reset the market to keep him.  

IMG_8378.jpeg

IMG_8379.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

The dominoes will start falling now. Miami is 40mil over the cap with Christian Wilkins and Tua's new deal staring them in the face. Figure this will be the first of many cuts for them 

The blood bath around the league is coming…

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

I think Mosely will get a true extension that will bring his cap number down significantly while keeping him locked in for the next couple of years

I also think this is the way they go.

Although he’s already 32, I’d really only add another year with $4-5M in new money. That could spread his cap down to about $12-13M from $21M.

21 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • Every team gets the additional cap space, which drives the prices of FAs up.  That is the idea.
  • This does have a practical effect on the ability to franchise a Huff or Becton.  

Did you just actually suggest we franchise Mehki Becton?

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I expect the Jets to let Huff walk. The team sees him as a part time player, and they presumably drafted his replacement in the first round last year. They can’t franchise tag a part time player -especially a defensive player- when they still have so much to do on offense. They can’t tie up that much potential free agent cash. 

This.

A team can’t franchise tag a part time player at a position group of strength. I mean, they can, but it’d be stupid. Moreover, now you’re locking in a player who’ll be miserable here, despite the premiere dollars for playing part time, and then they’ll still lose him a year later anyway.

The time to extend him was when he saw no one offer up a 2nd rounder to pick him up at $4MM. That window is long gone.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This.

A team can’t franchise tag a part time player at a position group of strength. I mean, they can, but it’d be stupid. Moreover, now you’re locking in a player who’ll be miserable here, despite the premiere dollars for playing part time, and then they’ll still lose him a year later anyway.

The time to extend him was when he saw no one offer up a 2nd rounder to pick him up at $4MM. That window is long gone.

Not to mention Huff would be EXTREMELY unhappy to get franchised.  Him and his agent would likely cause a fuss/threaten to hold out/hold out, etc.  They would be stupid not to.

• Upvote 1