NFL Combine NEWS + Reports (JD Press conference)

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I would have loved to lose those two meaningless games and said so at the time, but what did you want Joe Douglas, in particular, to do? 

Fire Saleh midseason.  Install interim coach.  Instruct interim coach to play the young guys.

Boom.  Easy.  Other franchises do this all the time yet Jets fans find this to be a total mystery because we've never done it.  "Whaaaa?  Lose games on purpose?  How done you do that????"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Not having a 2nd round pick this year is not going to be the stopper if they want to trade up. They pick at 10, what's the price to move up from 10 --> 5 if one of these guys slides and the Jets want to hop the Giants to take a QB? It's certainly not 10, three first, and Bryce Huff.

Anything is possible and there are a ton of assumptions out there about what the Jets will / won't do. I don't think anybody actually has any idea what they have planned for better or worse

Its like you guys think we'd be the only team trying to move up.  And there's no chance in hell Caleb is falling to 5 barring an arrest.  Pick 2 is the lowest he goes.

43 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

With a mercurial, meddling owner like woody, he may be looking at these qbs and saying to douglas, look, i want one if it makes sense so scout all these guys, and maybe we’ll take one and he’ll be the backup and if rodgers gets hurt again I’ll give the fan base something to be excited about.  This is a possibility with woody.

/shrug, I doubt it, but who knows.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fire Saleh midseason.  Install interim coach.  Instruct interim coach to play the young guys.

Right, but the issue here is that none of that would have been Joe D's call. JD and Saleh are almost definitely tied at the hip at this point -When Saleh gets fired, JD is going with him.  Hence, I don't see why it's on Douglas. 

You would have needed Woody to implement a proper tank. 

38 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Hand size is the funniest knock on a player. 

Has it reached the NFL where it just completely hindered a player? 

Daunte Culpepper (102 fumbles in 105 career games/100 starts).  He had massive fumbling problems because of his tiny baby hands. 

Several other QBs with small hands have had similar fumbling issues, at least early in their careers:

• Sam Darnold (just under 9.5):  He's fumbled everywhere he's gone (38 over 6 seasons/66 games), even leading all of FBS in turnovers (mostly fumbles) his final year at USC. 
  • Jacoby Brissett (just under 9.5):  30 fumbles over 79 career games (48 starts).
  • Jared Goff (hands a touch above 9''):  He's fumbled 64 times in his 8-year career (8 per year).
  • Joe Burrow (9''):  Yes, even Burrow fumbled 20 times over his first 3 seasons (42 games) in the league.  
  • Taysom Hill (under 9):  fumbled 10 times in 2020 in his hybrid role in NO.
  • Jake Fromm (under 9):  Fumbled twice in his only 2 NFL games in 2021.

Meanwhile only 2 QBs with hands smaller than 9 inches have ever had success in the NFL:  Tony Romo and Michael Vick.  Probably some selection bias there but still.

Granted, Kurt Warner (10.25) and Mark Sanchez (10.5) had huge hands yet still fumbled a bunch, so the correlation definitely isn't perfect.

Also, some of the small hand/high fumble rate guys are primarily running QBs (like Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts and Kyler Murray) - which of course makes them prone to fumbling for a different reason - so that needs to be factored in as well, but no one I listed above outside of Hill is a run-first guy.  Culpepper COULD run but he fumbled so much it wouldn't have mattered either way - he was coughing it up regardless.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its like you guys think we'd be the only team trying to move up.  And there's no chance in hell Caleb is falling to 5 barring an arrest.  Pick 2 is the lowest he goes.

Could be Caleb, could be any of the QBs. This is just the first one that they are scheduled to meet. They could fall in love with Drake Maye - who the hell knows. All that is confirmed now is that there is a level of interest in first round QBs

37 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, Warfish said:
Because JD loves wasting time and being "seen" to be doing things, as opposed to actually doing things.
It's like how Saleh really, REALLY wants people to SEE him running those stairs......

What's the narrative if he didn't meet with him? You must have had that queued up.

Nope.  No narrative, I simply didn't expect us to be in any way involved with Williams, Maye or Daniels.  I'm confident all will be gone before we pick at #10, and us trading up would be insane, given the circumstances.

Sorry to disappoint.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doug Jolley.

Yea, the Doug Jolley one was really bad.

Rodgers failing to even make the playoffs here would be worse to me simply because of the high profile nauture of the move and all the corresponding hype.

We're talking about a hypothetical trade for an all-time great QB that didn't even result in a playoff appearance. Just a huge ouch on so many levels. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I would think time is valuable.  Why would the Jets meet with Caleb Williams?

Practice meeting with the favorite to be the #1 pick for when the franchise spontaneously combusts this season.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I'm really hoping we go off in free agency to the point where we COULD realistically take one of these QBs if they fall.  In theory if you address both tackles in free agency, as well as WR2, you could afford to invest that #10 pick into a QB of the future.  There's still a hole at OG but I think you can find that guy in the 3rd.  Rounds 2 and 3 are typically where you'll see the top guards go.  Maybe bring in a cheap vet as competition.

Part of me expects this to happen - the free agency part at least - but instead of taking a QB at 10 it'll be a defensive player.  One of the CBs or Byron Murphy.  These guys love their defensive players, especially on the DL.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

If Caleb Williams were to drop, barring a murder charge, they would sprint to the podium with that card and worry about the rest later.

Exactly! You just never know how things will shake out. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doug Jolley.

OK I've seen this comment a couple times 

Doug Jolley for a first Rd pick is a complete disaster. Fair enough 

But that pick was 26 which ended up being Chris Spencer OL to the seahawks 

The raiders took Fabian Washington at 23. While Roddy white went 27 it's not like the Jets had this great opportunity at 1.26 

But yeah that was a very very bad trade. 

And Aaron rodgers is worse.

100 million in guarantee the most in franchise history. 65 mil cap hit inbound. Void years out to 2028. 

Last year's second round pick turned into wr Jayden Reed, who produced like crazy last month of last year 

This years 2nd Rd pick 

Nathaniel Hackett the worst oc in the league, running the offense 

The friends of Aaron who wasted roster spots (Tim Boyle, Cobb, lazard, Billy turnstile, Adrian Amos) 

Oh yeah and Aaron made it 4 plays last year 

Doug Jolley trade was bad the Aaron Rodgers decision was a crippler. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, derp said:

Will be interesting to look back at this one in a couple years.

How it looks all  depends on how Will McDonald turns out.   Even if Huff does well if McDonald does well the Jets will get a pass but if mcdonald bombs and huff does well look out.

28 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

Ya thats all great and dandy, but you really think JD or Woody are reading any of these complaints? No. But you know who is? Jets fans. So for those of us just looking for news, thanks for making us have to filter out all of this drama just to find it. 

So we should just read a news scroll and not comment on it?  Plenty of places you can find that away from JN.  What do you think the point of a message board is?

Also, Woody (and/or his proxies) DEFINITELY read this stuff, my guy.

Just now, DoubleDown said:

I don't believe that is standard language in a rookie contract.

What if the Jets don’t like the trade? Or if he doesn’t find one? Very bizarre. They’re leaving the window open for him to be back. 

• Ugh 1