New Dianna Russini hit piece!

This thread is loaded with gold to revisit on the Draft-Zoom this April 

I hope some of you Brendan Frasers hang up your pussies for a weekend and join the call this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

As a New York Jets fan I resent the professional press telling me I'm in denial at the mess within the organization without asking me to comment before publishing.   This is clearly an editorial hit piece on NY Jets fans.  I suspect the unnamed source was @FidelioJet

• Haha 3

https://nypost.com/2024/03/07/sports/mike-vrabel-wasnt-happy-with-dianna-russini-after-too-fat-story/

Mike Vrabel wasn’t happy with Dianna Russini after ‘very large human’ story got twisted

By 

Jenna Lemoncelli
Published March 7, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET

Mike Vrabel had a bone to pick with The Athletic’s Dianna Russini.

During a recent appearance on the “Pardon My Take” podcast, Russini recalled getting a phone call from Vrabel and that he “wasn’t too happy” after seeing an aggregated report that apparently claimed he was “too fat to work,” which was not part of Russini’s original reporting after the Titans surprisingly fired him.

“He called me the day after an aggregator took something I said that basically said Mike Vrabel is too fat to work,” Russini said when asked if a player or coach has ever gotten mad at her over her reporting. “What I shared on [‘The Athletic Football Show’] was that I had dinner with a GM at the Senior Bowl [in February 2024] and we had conversations about how bizarre this last coaching cycle was and how crazy it was that [former Patriots coach Bill] Belichick and Vrabel didn’t have gigs.

“And I said, ‘Why do you think that Mike didn’t get a job?’ He said ‘I think they needed a change there in Tennessee but in terms of the next opportunity, I think there’s a lot of people who are very intimidated by him. He walks into a room and he’s confident and he’s physically a big human being and it’s a little startling at first.’ Very normal, right? When I say this to you? … His hands are the size of your head.”

Russini explained that her reporting was “changed” by aggregators and it “wasn’t great” hearing from Vrabel under that circumstance.

“So when the aggregators took that and changed all this, you know, the way I said it, so that wasn’t great to hear from a not-too-happy head coach, to begin with — well, former head coach now,” she said. “He didn’t call me after the piece we did on why he got fired. But the piece … calling him a little fat, he wasn’t too happy.”

Vrabel — at 6-foot-4, 261 pounds — is a former linebacker and three-time Super Bowl champion with the Patriots.

The Titans fired the 48-year-old as their head coach in January after six seasons and back-to-back losing campaigns, which came as a surprise to some as Vrabel helped improved the culture in Tennessee.

During a Feb. 5 appearance on “The Athletic Football Show,” Russini, who left ESPN for The Athletic in August, discussed her conversation with an anonymous GM about Vrabel.

“I don’t think that there was a fit for him. I don’t think he sat in front of any owner who thought that his style was going to work for what they were looking for,” Russini said when asked why she didn’t believe Vrabel had a head coaching job at the time. “Do you know I had a GM at the Senior Bowl who mentioned to me Vrabel’s physical build? That he’s a very large human being and can be very intimidating to people in an organization that are going to be part of these decisions. And that is a factor.’

“Which, I laughed. I said, “Stop. That’s not something that’s real. Who cares what someone physically looks like?’

“And he said, ‘I’m just telling you, I’ve been in rooms and somebody’s physical presence can make a difference.'”

In January, Russini and Joe Rexrode of The Athletic reported that Vrabel’s Patriots reunion — when he spent the Tennessee’s bye week at the Patriots-Bills game on Oct. 22 to be inducted into New England’s Hall of Fame — didn’t sit well with Titans owner, Amy Adams Strunk.

The two never spoke of it and “she let it fester.”

A combination of “poor communication, misinterpreted statements and misunderstandings” led to Vrabel’s firing, according to The Athletic, which spoke with “nearly a dozen prominent people inside and outside the organization on the condition of anonymity.”

Vrabel took over as head coach of the Titans in 2018.

I believe the reason most if not all jets fans challenge her stories is because they are simply not factual 90% of the time
it started last year with the Aaron rodgers list of players which simply was not true and the she doubled diwn because Lazard was signed as a fa and Cobb was signed as well
while of course they are friends and maybe the jets signed them because of familiarity with rodgers, there was not one shred of truth to the so called list
she like many others want to be journalists. That has to be earned and she is not close right now

The list was true. They were linked to everyone except Mercedes Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, mfmartin said:

The list was true. They were linked to everyone except Mercedes Lewis

i agree the names on the list were targets and eventual signings. What has been refuted by all was the list being presented by Rodgers to the Jets as the only way he would agree to come to the Jets. That was simply not true (again according to all except Russini) and was simply put out there by her to put a negative spin on Rodgers and the Jets.

If she simply stated these are players Rodgers would want to have as apart of his team, no issue. To state that is the only way he agrees to a trade - failed attempt at hot take.

If she put out an article today (regardless of team/player)  would you take it serious or hesitate given her track record?  

• Sympathy 1

i agree the names on the list were targets and eventual signings. What has been refuted by all was the list being presented by Rodgers to the Jets as the only way he would agree to come to the Jets. That was simply not true (again according to all except Russini) and was simply put out there by her to put a negative spin on Rodgers and the Jets.
If she simply stated these are players Rodgers would want to have as apart of his team, no issue. To state that is the only way he agrees to a trade - failed attempt at hot take.
If she put out an article today (regardless of team/player)  would you take it serious or hesitate given her track record?  

But that’s not what she said either, she literally said it was a wishlist.

I've forgotten more about the Jets than any beat writer will ever know. I need no lecture, particularly from a soccer player who studied journalism, on the dysfunction of this organization. Dysfunction is engrained into my essence and hard-wired into every atom of my body and spirit.

This is what makes me a NY Jets fan.

Just because Dianna Russini is correct doesn't mean that her credibility or opinion has any value. The average truck-driver doing deliveries in NYC is more knowledgeable on the NY Jets than her or any of her cohorts.

• Upvote 2

On 3/6/2024 at 10:20 PM, CanadienJetsFan said:

In denial? She should peruse this site before opening her yap.

Reporters like her think they’re the Woodward and Bernstein equivalent of the the NFL.

Please.

You report football .

She’s right.  At least 50% of jets fans still think woody is a decent owner and 40% still think we still don’t know about Zachy Boy