Baker Mayfield, Buccaneers Agree to 3-Year Contract Worth Reported $100M Ahead of FA

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10102596-baker-mayfield-buccaneers-agree-to-3-year-contract-worth-reported-100m-ahead-of-fa?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

After spending the 2023 season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Baker Mayfield is reportedly staying put for the foreseeable future.

The veteran quarterback confirmed to ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Bucs are finalizing a deal to re-sign him to a three-year contract worth $100 million with $50 million guaranteed and a maximum value of $115 million.

ESPN's Adam Schefter posted a breakdown of the contract:

"I wanted a chance to come back," Mayfield told Schefter. "I love coach [Todd] Bowles and the staff. I'm happy to be here and I want to win more in the postseason."

Mayfield had signed a one-year deal with the Buccaneers last offseason and beat out Kyle Trask for the starting quarterback job. He had a strong season, throwing for 4,044 yards, 28 touchdowns and 10 interceptions and leading Tampa Bay to a 9-8 record and its third straight NFC South title. The Bucs defeated the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC Wild Card Round before falling to the Detroit Lions in the Divisional Round.

The No. 1 overall pick by the Cleveland Browns in 2018, Mayfield has experienced some highs and lows throughout his NFL career. He set a then-rookie record with 27 passing touchdowns in his first year in the league, which remained his career-high until this season. The Browns traded him to the Carolina Panthers prior to the 2022 campaign after acquiring Deshaun Watson.

Mayfield failed to impress during his brief time with the Panthers, leading the team to a 1-5 record in games he started. He requested to be released in December 2022 and was claimed off waivers by the Los Angeles Rams, where he went 1-3 in four starts. He appears to have found his groove again after one year in Tampa Bay.

By retaining Mayfield, the Bucs are maintaining some much-needed continuity in the competitive NFC. Tampa Bay is surely hoping Mayfield can continue to build off the success he had in 2023 as it tries to compete for a spot in the playoffs once again next season.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, LSJF said:

Zach is in his 20’s

Good To Know Rick Flag GIF by The Suicide Squad

46 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

... And still nowhere near as good.

True.  A-A-Ron is better.  He is also 12 years older and gets 25M more guaranteed.  I still like the A-A-Ron deal, but it is more of a calulated gamble.