Jets Top 5 Remaining Needs after 1 Week of Free Agency IMHO

10 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Think the Jets did a pretty good job of addressing the following needs in the 1st week of free agency:

• 2 Offensive Line Starters (Simpson, Moses)
  • Veteran Backup QB (Taylor)
  • Interior Defensive Line (Kinlaw, Fotu)
  • Safety (Clark)
  • Kickers (Zeurlein / Morstead)

They also re-signed solid depth pieces TE Kenny Yeboah and OL Jake Hanson and added a veteran CB in Isaiah Oliver. So that's good.

So, what work needs to be done between the 2nd Phase of Free Agency and the Draft?

1. Starting Caliber Wide Receiver 
    With Moses and Simpson signed on the OL in FA, that puts WR in play at #10.  There are also a couple of decent options at WR still available in FA. 
    It's possible we could still get a decent option at WR at #72.  Lots of ways to go to improve here. Fortunately we don't have a 2nd rounder to blow on a WR :) 
  2. Starting Caliber Offensive Lineman   
    Yes, offensive lineman is still in play at #10.  We could go OL at #10 and WR at #72.  You won't get a top tackle prospect at #72, but there will still be good interior OLs on the board into the 4th or 5th round.  Also a number of veteran guards or center/guards still available in FA.  The question here is "How do the Jets feel about Carter Warren?" If they are sold on him a contributor or even a starter, that lowers the priority here.
  3. Starting Caliber or Top Back Up Safety 
    Tony Adams can play.  If Chuck Clark is healthy, that's a good starter, too.  Obviously, re-signing Ashtyn Davis would be great, but that seems unlikely  You can get a solid veteran free agent at Safety and good safety prospects can be found in the 4th or even 5th round.  So, we have option.  "How do the Jets feel about Jarrick Bernard-Converse?"  If they feel he's the real deal, then we can kick this can down the road a bit
  4. Solid Back-Up Running Back  
    Is Israel Abanikanda just a change of pace back or can he be counted on as a viable RB #2?  If the Jets think he can be a true #2 back, that is great.  If not, they will have to find someone.  Fortunately, you can always find a decent veteran FA and still get a solid RB in the 4th round.
  5. QB #3
    If a young QB with some potential falls into the 4th round, it might be worth a shot.  Jake Haener and Stetson Bennet went in the 4th last year. Of course, there are always potential QB3s available in the final cuts (either vets or youngsters), so maybe we will just wait for that.

Possible Targets for Jets Draft Picks.....

• Round 1, #10:  Offensive Tackle (or Wide Receiver)
  • Round 3, #72: Wide Receiver (or interior OL)  << If we pass on an OT in the 1st 2 rds, the Jets will either have decided Warren is a viable option or AVT will move to tackle full time
  • Round 4, #111:  Safety (or maybe even double up at WR)
  • Round 4, #135: Quarterback
  • Round 6, #185: Running Back 
  • Round 7, #256:  Best Available 
  • Round 7, #257:  Best Available 

Didn’t our 6th go to Ravens for Moses?

The good free agents all scurried when they heard the Rodgers news. Joe Douglas is forced to trade for anyone good, which forces them to play here with Tyrod Taylor as their starting quarterback. Time to start warming up to bringing the Hamburglar back. Maybe kick the tires on Robbie Chosen.

• Sympathy 1

We really need to land either Tyron Smith or Trent Brown. That lets us either take a WR at 10 (Odunze if he's there?) OR trade down and take a WR later in the 1st round (Brian Thomas? McConkey?)

I'd also consider taking an incentive-laden flyer on Mike Williams if we can. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

We really need to land either Tyron Smith or Trent Brown. That lets us either take a WR at 10 (Odunze if he's there?) OR trade down and take a WR later in the 1st round (Brian Thomas? McConkey?)

I'd also consider taking an incentive-laden flyer on Mike Williams if we can. 

Joe Douglas - "Tyron, you're blocking for Tyrod. Rodgers has gone bat sh*t crazy and we're drafting Penix."

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

LT and WR are the big ones

The Jets have around $26 million in cap space. It’s completely feasible that they could land Tyron Smith, a receiver like Williams or Boyd and re-sign a couple of cheaper guys like Ashtyn Davis.

You do that, and how the hell does Bowers not become extremely appealing at #10?

I think it's less than that. Over The Cap shows that # but I don't see the DT we signed from AZ, Oliver (DB-SF) and Morestead on there either.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets

• Upvote 1

The good free agents all scurried when they heard the Rodgers news. Joe Douglas is forced to trade for anyone good, which forces them to play here with Tyrod Taylor as their starting quarterback. Time to start warming up to bringing the Hamburglar back. Maybe kick the tires on Robbie Chosen.

why bother posting this stuff

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

I'd love to sign a plug and play LT and a dynamic #2 receiver.  I am not sure that is possible.  We had $26MM in available cap when free agency starter.  We used most of that on Taylor, Simpson and Moses.  Then we re-signed Clark, Zuerline and Morestead.  Sound like there is almost nothing left.  We then re-worked Moseley creating 8-12 MM, depending on who you read.  We need $10MM reserved for our draft picks and at least $5MM for the in season fills we know we will need.

Unless my math is wrong, we have virtually no available cap.  They can re-work JFM and Quinnen Williams and get another $20MM but that's about it.  That only makes the future cap problems a bigger disaster. 

They ae trying to trade Zach and Lazard.  They are stuck with Lazard and even if they move Zach, no-one is taking more that $1-2MM of his salary.

I think they need to focus on and find a quality fill at either the LT or the #2 WR.  The rest will have to come from the draft.   

• Upvote 1