Draft a QB

On 3/17/2024 at 3:51 PM, bicketybam said:

Here's the issue I see. There won't be a QB available at 10 that is worth that pick. Simple as that.

Agree with this. Trading up makes no sense and it looks very likely at this point that the top 4 QBs will be off the board. Can't use a top ten pick on a Bo Nix type who should realistically go in the third.

On 3/20/2024 at 5:20 PM, Flea Flicking Frank said:

you don't draft a qb if you have nobody who can identify one, its stupid. You need a new regime before you can draft anohter one. Has their ever been a regime who busted with their first highly drafted QB who was successful on thier second one, I don't know of one case in history where its happened. 

We can never draft a qb because JD whiffed on Zach?  JD whiffed on wr Elijah Moore and then drafted Garrett Wilson the following year

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think it's very possible at 10 esp if a player like JJ still on the board. If they select one high he can dress as number 3 all season and basically not be thrown into a starting role like Zach was. 

0% chance. 

Some might want to say that there’s more than a 0% chance, but it’s still never happening. 

• Upvote 1

Prob JJ wouldn't be still on the board at 10 but not 0% chance. He could drop plus there's other QBs like Penix the Jets might draft maybe not at 10 but later in first round if they trade down. With Zach departing this seems to be the year to draft a developing QB. Plus not sure how long Rodgers will be around. 

46 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Prob JJ wouldn't be still on the board at 10 but not 0% chance. He could drop plus there's other QBs like Penix the Jets might draft maybe not at 10 but later in first round if they trade down. With Zach departing this seems to be the year to draft a developing QB. Plus not sure how long Rodgers will be around. 

People freaked that McDonald didn't play enough for a first round pick and you want to draft a QB in the first round to see him as QB3? No way that's happening.

18 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

People freaked that McDonald didn't play enough for a first round pick and you want to draft a QB in the first round to see him as QB3? No way that's happening.

What I'm saying is that with most rookie QBs incl high draft picks not a bad idea to let them sit on the sidelines for a year esp if you have a vet player like AR. Break them in slowly. And just look at the recent history of drafting QBs very high starting them right away and failure. 

29 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Relax it’s ok if a qb sits as a rookie.  The chiefs did that with Pat Mahomes and he’s been pretty decent

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

What I'm saying is that with most rookie QBs incl high draft picks not a bad idea to let them sit on the sidelines for a year esp if you have a vet player like AR. Break them in slowly. And just look at the recent history of drafting QBs very high starting them right away and failure. 

Aaron Rodgers is going to retire next January and tbh I would not be entirely shocked if he surprise retires this summer.  Tyrod Taylor is a decent backup qb but if he’s starting more than a couple games next season we are in trouble.  If Zach gets to play in regular season games next season it’s definitely another lost season.

QB is absolutely a need

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I agree to an extent but it's a hard sell to take a QB top 15 and then make him QB3.

9 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Aaron Rodgers is going to retire next January and tbh I would not be entirely shocked if he surprise retires this summer.  Tyrod Taylor is a decent backup qb but if he’s starting more than a couple games next season we are in trouble.  If Zach gets to play in regular season games next season it’s definitely another lost season.

QB is absolutely a need

https://youtu.be/TeiIIiZEqDU?si=aVK5CKw6V5zX0Wxw

13 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Relax it’s ok if a qb sits as a rookie.  The chiefs did that with Pat Mahomes and he’s been pretty decent

Draft a QB top 10 and make him QB3. Happens all the time!

38 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Draft a QB top 10 and make him QB3. Happens all the time!

Up until 2010, prior to 'Generation Alpha' Zero Attention Span Techno-addicts,  common practice was to develop players and turn them into superstars rather than chucking them into a situation that could potentially destroy their ascension.   

But it is was it is - the sign reads - immediate gratification required .

This is mostly due the the inane thought that because of the lower rookie wage scale, the player must be ready to go if drafted early in the first round, and not throwing them out there is blatant malpractice. 

Its pretty amusing when you step back and look at this failed concept getting executed by bad teams year after year.

Some guys are ready to go day one (sometimes they are older 24 year old college grads - which is odd to begin with) some guys are projects. 

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

QB is absolutely a need

On 3/20/2024 at 5:59 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

You have no idea how wrong you are

Thought these two posts lined up nicely as a conversation for you to have with yourself. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Up until 2010, prior to 'Generation Alpha' Zero Attention Span Techno-addicts,  common practice was to develop players and turn them into superstars rather than chucking them into a situation that could potentially destroy their ascension.   

This is mostly due the the inane thought that because of the lower rookie wage scale, the player must be ready to go if drafted early in the first round, and not throwing them out there is blatant malpractice. 

Its pretty amusing when you step back and look at this failed concept getting executed by bad teams year after year.

Some guys are ready to go day one (sometimes they are older 24 year old college grads - which is odd to begin with) some guys are projects. 

You could sit Slappy for 10 years behind the greatest of QB's of all time and he'd still suck. The kid is a dunce.

You could sit Slappy for 10 years behind the greatest of QB's of all time and he'd still suck. The kid is a dunce.
Sanchez, Darnold, Slappy, Genope, Pennington, Clemmons, Nagle, Petty

.... Evidence is pretty damning brah.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Sanchez, Darnold, Slappy, Genope, Pennington, Clemmons, Nagle, Petty

.... Evidence is pretty damning brah.

Which of those guys were drafted 2 overall and Slappy couldn't shine Pennington's left nut.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

If we draft a rookie QB, in any round, Woody will order Joe Douglas to cut Rodgers and Taylor, and to start the rookie from day one.

It's the Jets way.

We have a process here.

Well we didn’t have Aaron Rodgers on the roster in 2018 and 2021 so there’s that

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

The chiefs sat Mahomes his rookie year.  Why is this such a difficult concept now if a qb is drafted before the 5th round he has to start right away?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Which of those guys were drafted 2 overall and Slappy couldn't shine Pennington's left nut.
Pennington's career was cancelled by getting killed playing for the Jets.

12 hours ago, slats said:

0% chance. 

Some might want to say that there’s more than a 0% chance, but it’s still never happening. 

I have to be honest that this is a situation where an owner might be justified in stepping in and forcing a QB pick.

Thought these two posts lined up nicely as a conversation for you to have with yourself. 
This made me laugh out loud ... I'm the nicest possible way....

The chiefs sat Mahomes his rookie year.  Why is this such a difficult concept now if a qb is drafted before the 5th round he has to start right away?
I think I even remember Reid shutting down the outside clamoring with a statement.... as the barbarian hord.of idiots stormed the gate determined to have the kid start.

On 3/22/2024 at 5:42 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

Is that the one where Zach still has potential?

Huh?  What does Zach Wilson have to do with this.  The kid is done in NY..move on.  Jets are not drafting a QB high in the draft that just reality.  Maybe later in the draft they take a developmental QB

On 3/22/2024 at 5:39 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

We can never draft a qb because JD whiffed on Zach?  JD whiffed on wr Elijah Moore and then drafted Garrett Wilson the following year

never? who said never? do you envision this doofus staff of JD, Saleh and Schitty to be here forever?? If so, that sucks pretty badly. Ill say it again, hitting on a QB is not luck, you can get lucky, but luck is not a strategy, its about knwoing what you are looking for, adopting a system to work for the skill set, and training them and putting them in a position to succeed and build confidence .There is a reason some coaches are good at this, they know what they are doing. 

Ill ask again, give me one example where a regime, not a team, but a regime failed miserably on a top 3-5 highly drafted QB, and then drafted a second one that succeeded? 

On 3/23/2024 at 12:15 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

Its not just about sitting, its about what they are learning and preparing for the future. The likelihood of this staff being in place for a drafted QB to actually play is extremely low, so they are sitting and learning a system only to have to learn a new system shortly after. Aspire to be smarter and better Rich, I know you have it in you

7 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

never? who said never? do you envision this doofus staff of JD, Saleh and Schitty to be here forever?? If so, that sucks pretty badly. Ill say it again, hitting on a QB is not luck, you can get lucky, but luck is not a strategy, its about knwoing what you are looking for, adopting a system to work for the skill set, and training them and putting them in a position to succeed and build confidence .There is a reason some coaches are good at this, they know what they are doing. 

Ill ask again, give me one example where a regime, not a team, but a regime failed miserably on a top 3-5 highly drafted QB, and then drafted a second one that succeeded? 

The Niners.