Draft a QB

On 3/17/2024 at 5:59 PM, RockyM said:

Trade back a bit to acquire a second rounder, then use that on Penix?

On 3/17/2024 at 6:05 PM, Dunnie said:

Exactly this.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Ditto.

• Upvote 2

On 3/17/2024 at 7:09 PM, peekskill68 said:

In the last 25+ years the best Jet QB play I have seen has all come from retreads (Vinny, then Favre before his arm fell off, then Fitz before he choked vs. Buffalo).  With the exception of a couple of wow games from Chad, EVERY drafted QB from Sanchez to Geno to Darnold to Wilson has ranged from mediocre to disaster.  I have zero confidence in this team's ability to scout, draft and develop a QB.  Better off building the trenches and adding weaponz and paying an already established QB to come in here and win. 

Just because jets have had terrible luck drafting qbs does not mean its not how good teams do it

Young exciting qbs turn franchises around

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

LOL.

Every three years we draft our QB for the next 15 years. 

Under much different circumstances.

Being able to develop behind Rodgers is a golden opportunity. We can actually develop a QB properly and have him sit and learn from the best.

12 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

You have no idea how wrong you are

Drafting another QB at 10 and having him bust is another 5 of futility. QB's are not lottery picks, that you just get lucky or unlucky with. You need the right infrastructure in place to bring them along, this should be painfully clear to anyone paying attnetion. Can you get lucky, sure, but luck is not a strategy. We have literally nobody in the building who can identify nor devleop a QB, so the probability of busting is extremely high. Hell, its reasonably high even if you know what youre doing, but when you have nobody who knows what they are doing, it goes up 10x. you trust JD, Saleh, Schottenheimer to identify the right guy and bring the along, of so, why??

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Drafting another QB at 10 and having him bust is another 5 of futility. QB's are not lottery picks, that you just get lucky or unlucky with. You need the right infrastructure in place to bring them along, this should be painfully clear to anyone paying attnetion. Can you get lucky, sure, but luck is not a strategy. We have literally nobody in the building who can identify nor devleop a QB, so the probability of busting is extremely high. Hell, its reasonably high even if you know what youre doing, but when you have nobody who knows what they are doing, it goes up 10x. you trust JD, Saleh, Schottenheimer to identify the right guy and bring the along, of so, why??

Rodgers is gone after next season.  Tyrod is an egg.  That’s why you draft a qb unless you want to be starting from scratch again next offseason 

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Rodgers is gone after next season.  Tyrod is an egg.  That’s why you draft a qb unless you want to be starting from scratch again next offseason 

you don't draft a qb if you have nobody who can identify one, its stupid. You need a new regime before you can draft anohter one. Has their ever been a regime who busted with their first highly drafted QB who was successful on thier second one, I don't know of one case in history where its happened. 

On 3/17/2024 at 3:41 PM, Grandy said:

It's the perfect opportunity to actually do this thing right. Rodgers is coming off a serious injury at 41, and we are in a good position to secure the future of the most important position. A QB room of Rodgers and Taylor would be a dream scenario for mentoring a QB. To take a top prospect and have him sit and learn from two true veterans, with one of them being an all time great, is an opportunity we've never had and will never have again. Now that we've greatly improved our o-line, I feel even stronger about making this move.

There will be plenty of good options at 10, but the chance to secure our next 15 years with a QB pick cannot be passed up if it's there. I would gladly take any of the top 4 QB prospects if they fell to 10. Also, if we like somebody enough, we have a solid enough roster to trade up without destroying our foundation. Opportunities like this don't grow on trees. We can actually develop a QB the right way, and we have a good pick to do so. It would not be like the past.

We have no future right now, but there's a good chance to rectify that in April. Successfully drafting and developing a QB into a great player is possibly the most important thing a team can do to secure long-term success in the NFL.

No Fn way. 

2 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

you don't draft a qb if you have nobody who can identify one, its stupid. You need a new regime before you can draft anohter one. Has their ever been a regime who busted with their first highly drafted QB who was successful on thier second one, I don't know of one case in history where its happened. 

Penix is the best qb in the draft and will be available at ten but yeah let’s draft a undersized TE or a right tackle that will work out

2 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Penix is the best qb in the draft and will be available at ten but yeah let’s draft a undersized TE or a right tackle that will work out

Penix at 10? Wow.

It’s wierd. If you watch the tape Penix is the player Zach was supposed to be coming out of college.  Only Penix’s skills are legit, he did it for more than one year and he did it against top competition but yeah let’s reach for a Right Tackle

the jets are a loser organization 

16 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We have all seen the jets do amazingly stupid things during the draft but i actually feel confident saying no chance of a qb at 10

i understand your reasoning but I believe rodgers has told them min of 3 years

he wants another ring and is hell bent on getting it

All we hear about is his massive ego - well no better way to feed that than win a championship with the jets

no way they trade up or select a qb at 10

having said that drake maye falls to 10 and they draft hackenburgs lookalike

3 hours ago, Trotter said:

We have all seen the jets do amazingly stupid things during the draft but i actually feel confident saying no chance of a qb at 10

i understand your reasoning but I believe rodgers has told them min of 3 years

he wants another ring and is hell bent on getting it

All we hear about is his massive ego - well no better way to feed that than win a championship with the jets

no way they trade up or select a qb at 10

having said that drake maye falls to 10 and they draft hackenburgs lookalike

Rodgers is SUPER flaky. He could wake up tomorrow and retire. Nothing he says about how much more he wants to play has any probative value at all.

• WTF? 1

I'm completely fine with this regime taking a flier on a kid in the 4th.  Even in the 3rd, if they're that high on him.  I wouldn't let them draft one in the 1st though.  Let them earn their jobs, and if they do and we have a successful 2024, then they can go invest a top pick in a QB.  I like JD but I don't want him taking our QB of the future if there's a chance he won't be around next year.  

If sh*t goes bad and we clean house next offseason, I want our new regime to be able to come in and draft their guy. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/17/2024 at 4:32 PM, Sammybighead said:

Outside of williams and daniels, I'm not sure there is anyone worth a 1st rd pick, let alone top 10.

I'm convinced all this smoke around Mccarthy is a ploy by several teams (including the jets) to get some sucker to trade up. 

McCarthy sucks. Hoping the Pats trade out with the Vikings and take McCarthy in the 1st round. It will be an epic fail similar to Zach and Mac Jones. 

If Jayden Daniels is their at 10 take him. I’d even be ok jumping up a few spots to get him.
Jumping up a couple spots for a WR or a QB is my preferred path.
I dont think Daniels will be within reach though.
RPO guy with good accuracy on short and medium throws. Skinny and tall needs to put on weight. Lacks accuracy on deep routes.

Not my style ... But wouldn't throw a sh*t fit if they took him at 10. No way I move up to get him.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

What round do you think Travis goes in? Would he be available in the 3rd?

I was just on my way here to post about this.

First off - anyone saying we should take a day 1 or 2 QB... please stop. We all agree that long term QB is of the utmost importance, but the reality is that this roster has many pieces which are built to win now, and pieces we can add in this year's draft will still be there to support a future QB. We have to trust that Rodgers wants to play 2+ years as he stated. We've made our bed as a win-now team with him, and we need to lie in it. If things go to hell with Rodgers, it will still be hell for the next kid. We shouldn't make the mistake the Packers made - focusing on the future but forgoing their SB potential in Rodgers MVP years as a result. There will be time for our inevitable rebuild.

Anyway, it's widely expected that the Jets take a day 3 QB. Doing this would not eliminate the possibility of them drafting one higher in a future year (where hopefully Rodgers is still playing), but it gives them the chance to start taking advantage of veteran mentoring. I don't love any of this year's day 3 QBs, but if we end up with one I hope it's Travis. The big knocks on him are age and arm talent, sadly, because mobility and brains wise he's solid. Interestingly, I think his ceiling is a more mobile Tyrod Taylor, but it could be higher. Taylor and Rodgers will both make excellent mentors for him, and while I'm not sure he'll ever be an NFL starter, for a day 3 pick that's OK. Even if he is only a serviceable long term backup or bridge starter, that's good value on a day 3 rookie contract.

Anyway, to answer your question @bicketybam, I actually believe he should be available as a 4th and maybe even 6th rounder. He was already looking more like a day 2-3 player pre injury, and now he is missing the combine and pro days. Because he will likely not be ready to compete for a job immediately (as his recovery will take until summer), it is unlikely even a QB needy team like the Broncos bring him in day 2. I think one of the Jets 2 4th rounders is earmarked for this guy or a similar player, unless we decide we like an even bigger punt on a round 6/7 guy. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I was just on my way here to post about this.

First off - anyone saying we should take a day 1 or 2 QB... please stop. We all agree that long term QB is of the utmost importance, but the reality is that this roster has many pieces which are built to win now, and pieces we can add in this year's draft will still be there to support a future QB. We have to trust that Rodgers wants to play 2+ years as he stated. We've made our bed as a win-now team with him, and we need to lie in it. If things go to hell with Rodgers, it will still be hell for the next kid. We shouldn't make the mistake the Packers made - focusing on the future but forgoing their SB potential in Rodgers MVP years as a result. There will be time for our inevitable rebuild.

Anyway, it's widely expected that the Jets take a day 3 QB. Doing this would not eliminate the possibility of them drafting one higher in a future year (where hopefully Rodgers is still playing), but it gives them the chance to start taking advantage of veteran mentoring. I don't love any of this year's day 3 QBs, but if we end up with one I hope it's Travis. The big knocks on him are age and arm talent, sadly, because mobility and brains wise he's solid. Interestingly, I think his ceiling is a more mobile Tyrod Taylor, but it could be higher. Taylor and Rodgers will both make excellent mentors for him, and while I'm not sure he'll ever be an NFL starter, for a day 3 pick that's OK. Even if he is only a serviceable long term backup or bridge starter, that's good value on a day 3 rookie contract.

Anyway, to answer your question @bicketybam, I actually believe he should be available as a 4th and maybe even 6th rounder. He was already looking more like a day 2-3 player pre injury, and now he is missing the combine and pro days. Because he will likely not be ready to compete for a job immediately (as his recovery will take until summer), it is unlikely even a QB needy team like the Broncos bring him in day 2. I think one of the Jets 2 4th rounders is earmarked for this guy or a similar player, unless we decide we like an even bigger punt on a round 6/7 guy. 

Do you have any concern about his size? I saw something that listed him as 6'1 200 lbs. That's tiny.

7 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Do you have any concern about his size? I saw something that listed him as 6'1 200 lbs. That's tiny.

Eh, not really. I would suspect the Jets try to bulk him up a little for durability and arm strength reasons, but in the modern NFL (trending toward flag football for QBs) QB injury is more about OL protection and luck than the old fashioned size/durability standards for QBs that got the hell beat out of em. 

He's just tall enough to see over the OL haha, if Kyler can do it he'll be fine. His build is actually not dissimilar to Lamar Jackson, though he's sadly not that level of athlete. I think he's smart enough to slide and protect himself. As with most NFL prospect QBs, the real questions are if he has the processing speed to read NFL defenses and the arm talent to make all the throws. We'll see.

• Upvote 1

To shamelessly double post, I will say this article makes a good point: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-schedule-visit-florida-state-jordan-travis-draft-quarterback-developmental

The Jets may be best served to wait on their QB prospect at this point, given that they won't be committing a high pick to one. Next year is probably ideal. I like Travis, but I would prefer we spend a 6th or 7th rounder on him if we can get away with it. Stashing a QB who is cut from another team as our QB3 for this year is also not a bad option. The Jets should bring in SOMEONE at QB3, but it's pretty likely their real QB of the future comes in another draft. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

To shamelessly double post, I will say this article makes a good point: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-schedule-visit-florida-state-jordan-travis-draft-quarterback-developmental

The Jets may be best served to wait on their QB prospect at this point, given that they won't be committing a high pick to one. Next year is probably ideal. I like Travis, but I would prefer we spend a 6th or 7th rounder on him if we can get away with it. Stashing a QB who is cut from another team as our QB3 for this year is also not a bad option. The Jets should bring in SOMEONE at QB3, but it's pretty likely their real QB of the future comes in another draft. 

Would rather have pratt. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Any particular reasoning there?

Looks the part, more of a pocket passer, accurate in the short/intermediate range, high floor lower ceiling guy the jets never draft.  Seems like he could run an offense efficiently.  The type of guy other teams throw in when their starters get hurt and they play well.  The jets always import their backups.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Looks the part, more of a pocket passer, accurate in the short/intermediate range, high floor lower ceiling guy the jets never draft.  Seems like he could run an offense efficiently.  The type of guy other teams throw in when their starters get hurt and they play well.  The jets always import their backups.  

Fair enough. With Tyrod already here on a 2 year deal, I somewhat assume the Jets are hoping to find a guy with the upside to be a starter one day, not just the succession plan at long term backup. But I do see Pratt as a safe and likely reliable backup guy, although I haven't watched a lot of him. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Fair enough. With Tyrod already here on a 2 year deal, I somewhat assume the Jets are hoping to find a guy with the upside to be a starter one day, not just the succession plan at long term backup. But I do see Pratt as a safe and likely reliable backup guy, although I haven't watched a lot of him. 

I have, with 2 kids at Tulane.  Seems like a better version of mike white, whatever that means.  Efficient, but with much more mobility and not as fragile.  If a qb you take in the 4th becomes an adequate starter and a viable backup that’s amazing for the jets. They always have to import their qbs. 

• Upvote 1

I don't mind the idea of Jordan Travis. Age and size has him likely going as a later day 3 developmental quarterback. Good athlete, tough kid, good "intangibles".  Seems to be the kind of player JD likes to draft.

I dont think he's likely to be a future starter, but has a decent chance of being a solid #2. 

Big question is - if his ceiling is future backup, do you take a bigger swing on someone with more upside?

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

I dont think he's likely to be a future starter, but has a decent chance of being a solid #2. 

Big question is - if his ceiling is future backup, do you take a bigger swing on someone with more upside?

Agreed. I think folks forget it's pretty common for teams, even those with established QBs, to take day 3 QBs every few years and try their luck.

I think the Jets will stick with a day 3 guy anyway despite the "limited" ceiling. We only have 2 picks in the early rounds and a number of more important needs to fill with those. Plus, my big thing is that just because we take a day 3 QB this year doesn't mean we can't swing for a higher upside QB in a year or two! That is also common in the NFL. Recently, the Commanders and Vikings are 2 examples.

Should draft a qb in the middle rounds every year no matter who is the starter. College football is different than pros obviously and you can’t tell if they have the processing ability till they’re in the moment. Keep trying. If someone shows up in the draft you like in the first round then go for it. Andy Reid went to the playoffs with Alex Smith but saw something in Mahommes that made him go up and get him. Nobody could or would have predicted how good Mahommes is in the pros from his college career .

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app