Draft a QB

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

He couldn’t fire them this off season, when they signed Rodgers, it was basically a 2 year pact. No legitimate candidates would have entered this situation this offseason. The bed has already been made.

people who want to draft a rd1 qb or trade up and get a QB are looking at this situation as a fan and what would be great for the long term of the franchise. We’ll still be here in a few more seasons. JD, Saleh, and co can’t make decisions on how things will play out in a few years, they have no time to right the ship. It’s 2024 or bust. So again, read the room, and it’ll be a lot easier to accept what’s going on.

As the owner Woody needs to step in and make the decision, trade up get Daniels let him sit behind Rodgers for 2 seasons and then dump Saleh and start over with Daniels and new coach.

• Thumb Down 2
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grandy said:

It's the perfect opportunity to actually do this thing right. Rodgers is coming off a serious injury at 41, and we are in a good position to secure the future of the most important position. A QB room of Rodgers and Taylor would be a dream scenario for mentoring a QB. To take a top prospect and have him sit and learn from two true veterans, with one of them being an all time great, is an opportunity we've never had and will never have again. Now that we've greatly improved our o-line, I feel even stronger about making this move.

There will be plenty of good options at 10, but the chance to secure our next 15 years with a QB pick cannot be passed up if it's there. I would gladly take any of the top 4 QB prospects if they fell to 10. Also, if we like somebody enough, we have a solid enough roster to trade up without destroying our foundation. Opportunities like this don't grow on trees. We can actually develop a QB the right way, and we have a good pick to do so. It would not be like the past.

We have no future right now, but there's a good chance to rectify that in April. Successfully drafting and developing a QB into a great player is possibly the most important thing a team can do to secure long-term success in the NFL.

BB47F47C-66B2-47CF-9967-CE3F1D21231C.thumb.jpeg.f3272fc1868439c01ed68f1534289e62.jpeg

• Grandy changed the title to Draft a QB
2 hours ago, jamesr said:

"Secure our next 15 years" with the 4th or 5th QB off the board?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't go below the 4th depending on the guy, but historically the best QBs in a class are not the 1st off the board. 

Wouldn't go below the 4th depending on the guy, but historically the best QBs in a class are not the 1st off the board. 
More likely because they've gone to better teams than because they themselves have been better prospects, IMHO.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Chances of the jets drafting a QB high (in the 1st round) =

They will draft a guy but later in the draft, mid to late rounds

I’m gonna vomit when Aaron and Tyrod are both injured and Woody starts Zach over whatever scrub we draft in the 6th round

In the last 25+ years the best Jet QB play I have seen has all come from retreads (Vinny, then Favre before his arm fell off, then Fitz before he choked vs. Buffalo).  With the exception of a couple of wow games from Chad, EVERY drafted QB from Sanchez to Geno to Darnold to Wilson has ranged from mediocre to disaster.  I have zero confidence in this team's ability to scout, draft and develop a QB.  Better off building the trenches and adding weaponz and paying an already established QB to come in here and win. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

As the owner Woody needs to step in and make the decision, trade up get Daniels let him sit behind Rodgers for 2 seasons and then dump Saleh and start over with Daniels and new coach.

He is doing the right thing by not allowing a potential lame duck staff from making a decision that’ll impact the franchise for another 3-4 years beyond their firing (if things go off the rails this year). Qb will be addressed in 2025 when you either give out extensions or you clean house and the new coaching staff / GM are in place. Can’t be drafting a qb of the future when you don’t have a clear idea who will be coaching / running the team for at least the next handful of seasons.

• Upvote 1

It's probably not too late for Tyrod, playing behind a legend for a yr or two, to pick up some good stuff his own self. We could keep Tyrod for a yr or so after Arron retires, then draft a yute QB then to sit behind Tyrod for a yr.

Kinda what we all thought we should have done with Sam, and then again with Zach. Bring in a vet for a season for them to sit and learn for a bit. Well, Tyrod could be that vet for a rookie QB to sit behind. Takes the pressure off having to draft a QB this minute.

Although I get having #10. If we can't make the leap from 10 to a decent QB, it will only be much harder picking 32nd.

I wouldn't say the Jets wouldn't do it but it will probably require someone like Maye or Daniels falling, which looks like it's not gonna happen.  I doubt they invest that pick in McCarthy(who I doubt will make it to 10 either) but who knows.  

I really think it's gonna be Bowers though.

• Ugh 1

32 minutes ago, jamesr said:

More likely because they've gone to better teams than because they themselves have been better prospects, IMHO.

And luckily, we can provide a better team at this point. That's why I'm more  comfortable with the idea. 

29 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

If Penix is there at 10 and we pass him up for a Right Tackle and we already have 2 good RT on the roster I’m gonna throw the fuc up

Don’t eat before the draft. Penix isn’t a top 10 pick. Interesting player in rd 2.

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, extmenace said:

Need to read the room bud, too many jobs on the line for the jets staff to use their last possible 1st round draft pick on a guy they hope doesn’t play.

So I guess OL is out too then. It has to be a receiver - trade back a few spots, grab a receiver, with 2nd round pick we hopefully grab Penix, 3rd round OL. That would be my dream scenario. If people are saying we are in a win now mode and can't draft a QB (exactly the time to draft one but not in first) you can't also say we should draft a backup tackle. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, extmenace said:

He is doing the right thing by not allowing a potential lame duck staff from making a decision that’ll impact the franchise for another 3-4 years beyond their firing (if things go off the rails this year). Qb will be addressed in 2025 when you either give out extensions or you clean house and the new coaching staff / GM are in place. Can’t be drafting a qb of the future when you don’t have a clear idea who will be coaching / running the team for at least the next handful of seasons.

Can you not read?

I’m not saying this regime makes that decision!

Woody does he is the owner. 

So I guess OL is out too then. It has to be a receiver - trade back a few spots, grab a receiver, with 2nd round pick we hopefully get grab Penix, 3rd round OL. That would be my dream scenario. If people are saying we are in a win now mode and can't draft a QB (exactly the time to draft one but not in first) you can't also say we should draft a backup tackle. 
Personally I reckon we'll draft a backup / developmental tackle somewhere in the mid rounds - this is a deep draft for OL.

First round I expect to be an offensive weapon - either staying at 10 or trading down. But then again, not many of us were projecting a DE this time last year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I’m gonna vomit when Aaron and Tyrod are both injured and Woody starts Zach over whatever scrub we draft in the 6th round

Zach wilson will not be on the roster this coming year, do not worry.   If both the top two are hurt we will be starting our mid to late round pick or some street free agent.

Wilson is 100% gone.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He was awful in the senior bowl and awful at the combine.  Not sure what happened to him but he is an udfa right now if you ask me.

The guys I showed are better options imo:   Devin Leary, Michael Pratt, Jordan Travis, Carter Bradley

You sure that’s not Chris Streveler?

4 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

SamHartman112123.jpg.860abf45d57586e23d138b0d128cbfdb.jpg

Target Sam Hartman in round 6 or 7. 57 starts in collegiate career. Super experienced. IMO would be a solid get in the later rounds.

You sure that’s not Chris Streveler impostered up?

3 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Woody starts?

People think Woodys setting the starting lineup? 
While another thinks he makes the decision on drafting a QB because his crystal ball in April is telling him Saleh and JD are getting fired.  The same crystal ball that says Rodgers doesn’t play enough for the team to succeed.

Got it, lol

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Woody starts?

People think Woodys setting the starting lineup? 
While another thinks he makes the decision on drafting a QB because his crystal ball in April is telling him Saleh and JD are getting fired.  The same crystal ball that says Rodgers doesn’t play enough for the team to succeed.

Got it, lol

7C229E1D-F5DD-4804-B58D-06FC83B5CA13.thumb.jpeg.3f61f058d9c347f9f726fbb97d59939d.jpeg

If Penix is there at 10 and we pass him up for a Right Tackle and we already have 2 good RT on the roster I’m gonna throw the fuc up
Prepare yourself

493e7ba51501d709c58d1411db2dcd8f.jpg

Can't waste pick ten on the fourth QB to be taken when your GM has already failed at picking the second one. If we can't get the player we want at ten and move back to the bottom of the first I wouldn't hate this idea my fear is that I can think of atleast 20 guys is rather draft than any QB I expect to be within our reach.

• Upvote 1

Honestly once Rogers retires this team is going to go through a teardown most likely (unless they go the New Orleans route which would be stupid).  At that point you trade the older and more expensive players or let them walk in free agency.  At that point you try to accumulate draft capital, try to get some gems off wavers/UDFA's etc.

The players in this year's draft will make up the core of what will make up the team at that point.  Having a good starting tackle/WR's on rookie contracts will be helpful for whoever you bring in at that point.  

2 minutes ago, Dax89 said:

Honestly once Rogers retires this team is going to go through a teardown most likely (unless they go the New Orleans route which would be stupid).  At that point you trade the older and more expensive players or let them walk in free agency.  At that point you try to accumulate draft capital, try to get some gems off wavers/UDFA's etc.

The players in this year's draft will make up the core of what will make up the team at that point.  Having a good starting tackle/WR's on rookie contracts will be helpful for whoever you bring in at that point.  

If they go OL at 10 they have the core of the OL set and if they take a skill position guy they have enticing skill positions. 

If rodgers gets them to the playoffs and they keep jd and saleh i wonder if they go with the same philosophy where they bring in another veteran qb and build around him.  

On 3/17/2024 at 3:41 PM, Grandy said:

It's the perfect opportunity to actually do this thing right. Rodgers is coming off a serious injury at 41, and we are in a good position to secure the future of the most important position. A QB room of Rodgers and Taylor would be a dream scenario for mentoring a QB. To take a top prospect and have him sit and learn from two true veterans, with one of them being an all time great, is an opportunity we've never had and will never have again. Now that we've greatly improved our o-line, I feel even stronger about making this move.

There will be plenty of good options at 10, but the chance to secure our next 15 years with a QB pick cannot be passed up if it's there. I would gladly take any of the top 4 QB prospects if they fell to 10. Also, if we like somebody enough, we have a solid enough roster to trade up without destroying our foundation. Opportunities like this don't grow on trees. We can actually develop a QB the right way, and we have a good pick to do so. It would not be like the past.

If the right QB drops to #10, extremely unlikely, they will have a tough choice.  With the $50MM dead cap bomb when Rodgers leaves, we will need a low cost young QB to stay competitive.    If you are going to take a pick for the future, the QB is far more important than the OT.  You take the QB or trade down for a pile of assets another team will give you to take him.

• Upvote 1

On 3/17/2024 at 7:13 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

Makes zero sense to draft a QB at 10

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Rodgers has a pretty good relationship with the front office. I would find out when his last season is going to be, and then take a QB in the draft right before that last season. That would allow the QB to spend a year under Rodgers, but it would still maximize his rookie contract time. And it should be a first rounder who would have a fifth year option.

On 3/17/2024 at 3:41 PM, Grandy said:

There will be plenty of good options at 10, but the chance to secure our next 15 years with a QB pick cannot be passed up if it's there.

LOL.

Every three years we draft our QB for the next 15 years. 

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Grandy said:

WR2 is now secured. Time to do what needs to be done for our future.

Yes. Draft a stud Left Tackle so when we are ready to draft a QB, he won't be immediately ruined.