ZACH WILSON isn’t on the Jets anymore discussion (merged)

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets gave him starts uncontested for 3 seasons. 

Cleared the decks for him. Wouldn’t even entertain bringing Mike White back for pennies. Left Flacco on the street. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Zach doesn’t have the ability to do it. He was drafted second because of one season against nobodies. Akili Smith was drafted second too. 

Akili Smith was drafted third.

My point is that he has the physical ability to do it. He has the tools to make all the throws. We’ve seen him have good games and make good throws (albeit, stunningly rarely.) 

It’s just rare that he does it because he sucks.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

There are plenty of quarterbacks in college and high school who have arm ability. There is nothing from Wilson’s arm that’s unique enough to keep him around the league. He flat out sucks and will likely be out of football if he doesn’t stick with the Broncos. 

"Patients" is a virtue!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

There are plenty all over the country who don’t even make it to the league. Zach’s arm is fine. He’s not a special athlete. He doesn’t have a special arm. It’s not going to keep him in the league like it did for Jeff George. Zach is scared of the pass rush. 

Laughable comment. 

8 hours ago, rangerous said:

i agree with sauce.  the thing is people tend to forget how young some of these players are.  i don't mean age wise but in mental maturity.  some positions don't need a whole lot of mental maturity for a player to do pretty well at.  qb is something else because there's so much going on around the player each time he's hiked the ball.  and then, of course, there are the coaches who tend to be my way or highway kind of guys and don't really know how to motivate the odd player.  i hope and think zach does well in denver.  he's got a really good coach and a fanbase that is way more laid back than what he saw in new jersey.  plus where he will be living is way more comfortable for him.

This.  Though I feel like Denver is sort of in a rebuild.  We'll see what happens.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Laughable comment. 

This.  Though I feel like Denver is sort of in a rebuild.  We'll see what happens.

Josh Allen has a special arm. Zach has an average NFL arm.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, you don't get drafted 2nd overall without the literal ability to "do it."

Doing it consistently, routinely is what makes someone good. 

Most of the guys that are drafted can do it. The difference between the guys who can do it and those who can’t is strictly between the ears. The NY market and the pressure was something I don’t think he could handle. His confidence was also lost and it prob got even worse when the team wouldn’t even allow him to play to his skill set. Turned a gun slinger into a check down and quick read qb. Not saying he will or won’t pan out but he def has the physical ability, he just hasn’t figured it out mentally. In a weird way, I’m hoping Payton can figure it out with him.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Most of the guys that are drafted can do it. The difference between the guys who can do it and those who can’t is strictly between the ears. The NY market and the pressure was something I don’t think he could handle. His confidence was also lost and it prob got even worse when the team wouldn’t even allow him to play to his skill set. Turned a gun slinger into a check down and quick read qb. Not saying he will or won’t pan out but he def has the physical ability, he just hasn’t figured it out mentally. In a weird way, I’m hoping Payton can figure it out with him.

Did you order a jersey?

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hahahahaahahaha.  Too funny.

Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Stafford, Rodgers, Russ, Love, Murray, Richardson, Jones. That’s 10 right there who are just starters who have better arms.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Stafford, Rodgers, Russ, Love, Murray, Richardson, Jones. That’s 10 right there who are just starters who have better arms.

Russ has a better arm than Zach Wilson? Jones? 

Matt getting the good herb 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Russ Wilson unquestionably. Not close 

Ok. 

Strongly disagree.

I would say it's not close in the other direction. Russ is a good deep ball thrower, but nothing special in terms of overall arm strength.

Zach has a cannon, a very fast release, and good mobility, but not much else. 

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Broncos are definitely at least getting to the AFCG this year with Zach Wilson

I thought he was getting cut and then signed by the Jets. You are all over the road. Pick a lane.

42 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I guess you never saw Zach throw that 50 yard bomb across field in shorts and a tshirt indoors?

Surprisingly I’ve never seen Zach’s unique arm talent ever present itself in an actual game

• Upvote 2

On 6/4/2024 at 2:15 PM, THE BARON said:

Wilson has the physical tools.  We all know it QED.  He never learned the mental part of the game that would be/is needed to play at the highest level.  Either he could not learn or the Jets were poor in their ability to coach/develop.  We'll know by the end of 2024 which of the two are true.  

I wouldn't say that we'll know by the end of 2024 which of the two are true.  Wilson could get injured, Payton could opt to start Nix or the other QB, or Payton not have the patience or even attempt to spend the time with Wilson.  It also depends upon the caliber of the Broncos' OC and QB Coach.

I'm biased, as I've always thought Zach could put it together and be a very good, if not great QB in the NFL.  It's nice to have some confirmation from great players who have actually played against him.  They have a better idea of what he's capable of than any fan does.

39 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Surprisingly I’ve never seen Zach’s unique arm talent ever present itself in an actual game

Then you didn't watch all of his games with the Jets, or his games at BYU.

25 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Show me his Jets plays that highlight unique arm strength. He has a regular NFL arm and averaged 6 YPA. He had like 4 touchdowns in 3 years that traveled over 10 yards in the air. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Show me his Jets plays that highlight unique arm strength. He has a regular NFL arm and averaged 6 YPA. He had like 4 touchdowns in 3 years that traveled over 10 yards in the air. 

He's like a Howitzer being fired by a blind man 

• Haha 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

ROFLMAO!!!  Dude, you are hilarious. If you think Zach has a regular NFL arm, then you have no clue what you watch when you look at football.  Go watch the Titans game from his rookie season.  He made 2-3 throws in that game that few other QBs in the NFL could make.  One of the criticisms he had early were that his passes were too hard and didn't have enough touch on them.  When he threw those passes, he wasn't winding up and throwing with his whole might.  He was throwing them with a flick of his wrist.  The same thing from the infamous Pro Day long throw.  He's on the move and just flicks his wrist and the ball goes 50-60 yards.  That is hardly NFL average or regular arm.

The throws a QB makes has a lot more to do with the plays called, the coaching philosophy, where the QB is in his development as a player, than it does arm strength.  With the lousy coaching he had with the Jets, the way he was yo-yoed by the clueless LaFleur and Saleh, he became too cautious and uptight.  He became afraid to take chances or to throw deep to the EZ for fear of making a mistake and turning the ball over.  Watch other games from his rookie season before he got hurt.  After that, they tried to turn him from a gunslinger into a game managing QB.  That's why you didn't see Zach's arm.

• Thumb Down 1

44 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I wouldn't say that we'll know by the end of 2024 which of the two are true.  Wilson could get injured, Payton could opt to start Nix or the other QB, or Payton not have the patience or even attempt to spend the time with Wilson.  It also depends upon the caliber of the Broncos' OC and QB Coach.

I'm biased, as I've always thought Zach could put it together and be a very good, if not great QB in the NFL.  It's nice to have some confirmation from great players who have actually played against him.  They have a better idea of what he's capable of than any fan does.

All good points.  A football team is a thousand moving parts.  

52 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

17 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

ROFLMAO!!!  Dude, you are hilarious. If you think Zach has a regular NFL arm, then you have no clue what you watch when you look at football.  Go watch the Titans game from his rookie season.  He made 2-3 throws in that game that few other QBs in the NFL could make.  One of the criticisms he had early were that his passes were too hard and didn't have enough touch on them.  When he threw those passes, he wasn't winding up and throwing with his whole might.  He was throwing them with a flick of his wrist.  The same thing from the infamous Pro Day long throw.  He's on the move and just flicks his wrist and the ball goes 50-60 yards.  That is hardly NFL average or regular arm.

The throws a QB makes has a lot more to do with the plays called, the coaching philosophy, where the QB is in his development as a player, than it does arm strength.  With the lousy coaching he had with the Jets, the way he was yo-yoed by the clueless LaFleur and Saleh, he became too cautious and uptight.  He became afraid to take chances or to throw deep to the EZ for fear of making a mistake and turning the ball over.  Watch other games from his rookie season before he got hurt.  After that, they tried to turn him from a gunslinger into a game managing QB.  That's why you didn't see Zach's arm.

Jamarcus Russell had incredible arm strength too

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Zach has a live arm.  He’s insanely inaccurate, can’t read NFL defenses, blames teammates and coaches for his shortcomings, little to no dedication and zero pocket presence but he can let it rip in shorts and a tshirt inside a practice facility 

22 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Good grief.