Jets OTA updates (6/4 Open to Media)

3 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

So you say, but your post reads differently.

You're opinion about Conklin is also off.

Based on my post responding to Slats who brought Bowers into the conversation?  lmfao  ok 

My opinion of Conklin is spot on, sorry it hurts you.

• Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Yeah, that was not the "entirety" of your position at all.  It may have been your major point of contention w/ the Jets drafting him but you went hard on the Bowers will suck in the NFL saying sh*t like, "how does a small, undersized TE, unathletic, tweener slot WR translate to the NFL, how does he even get the ball, nobody his size has ever succeed". Dont try and try and twist it now.  I remember it all, homey!

I'm great w/ disagreeing on the term JAG, but I dont think fringe roster players get that designation, personally.  

Something of a mischaracterization, but no biggie. Bottom line, no, I don’t think he’ll be worth a first round pick when all is said and done. He was the flavor of the season, and I was happy to be correct in that JD would never pull the trigger on him. The main thrust of my argument, for the record, was primarily that he plays a low value position, he is undersized, and without testing there was way too much risk involved. Had he put up some sort of Vernon Davis test scores, I might’ve been persuaded. 

But hey, in your favor, one of the best run organizations in the history of the sport thinks he was worth a high pick, though, just ask @Raideraholic

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Something of a mischaracterization, but no biggie. Bottom line, no, I don’t think he’ll be worth a first round pick when all is said and done. He was the flavor of the season, and I was happy to be correct in that JD would never pull the trigger on him. The main thrust of my argument, for the record, was primarily that he plays a low value position, he is undersized, and without testing there was way too much risk involved. Had he put up some sort of Vernon Davis test scores, I might’ve been persuaded. 

But hey, in your favor, one of the best run organizations in the history of the sport thinks he was worth a high pick, though, just ask @Raideraholic

You want me to bump those threads?  lol  You went hard on the "how does this translate"...but whatever.

And calling the most decorated TE in the history of college Football, who played on back to back National Championship teams as their #1 offensive weapon, "the flavor of the season" is the ultimate mischaracterization here, my friend. 

7 minutes ago, Barton said:

Conklin is shortish and slow. All his catches are “contested”. 

If Conklin can duplicate his numbers from last season, he's carrying his weight, he doesn't have to be a superstar with the supporting cast that's around him.

If he can have 61 contested catches and catch them all w/o fumbling, I'm good with that.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

You want me to bump those threads?  lol  You went hard on the "how does this translate"...but whatever.

And calling the most decorated TE in the history of college Football, who played on back to back National Championship teams as their #1 offensive weapon, "the flavor of the season" is the ultimate mischaracterization here, my friend. 

You should probably wait until he does something, but by all means feel free. 

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

No, I've put the emphasis on his entire game.  The not scoring a single TD in 27 games of Football speaks to everything I've said about him.  It's all connected.  He's not a dynamic WR, he cant run routes, he doesnt get open down field, he doesnt provide any YAC.  He's an outlet guy who falls over immediately upon catching the ball.  He's one of the worst pass protection TE's in the NFL.  Throw in the fact, he had the 11th most Red Zone targets for a TE in the NFL and didnt score, speaks to how JAGalicious he actually is.  I'm currently reading that he's the amazing contested catch guy...wouldnt that be super valuable in the endzone?  Or maybe because he's not very good at getting open, he has to make contested catches or because he usually gets the ball as a check down and check downs typically arent available in the red zone.  Therefore he's ineffective.  That adds up.  Common sense.  And it's why he doesnt score.  Even w/ a QB who threw for 4500 yards and 35 TD's.  

I like TD's.  They're fun!  They put points on the board.  If you have more points then the other team, you win!  Conklin doesnt contribute in that dept, which isnt typically the mark of a good player but rather, the mark of a JAG.  

Garrett Wilson was 82nd in TD's last season 🤔

40 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Hmmmm, not sure what opinions Ive shared, Ive mainly referenced his stats and grades.  I mean, I guess you could argue that my "he's not a great route runner" could be an opinion but I think it's pretty accurate, all you have to do is watch him.  He can beat slow weakside LB'ers but everyone else sticks to him like glue.  Slant, out, seam, 5 yards down field.  That's all he gives you.  But I digress, that is an opinion, I guess.

Ruckert is a nobody.  He doesnt deserve JAG title.

If everyone sticks to him like glue how do you explain that he caught 61 of 63 catchable balls thrown to him last year and he only had 2 drops on the season which explains those 2 catchable balls he missed. I guess those LB's & CB's sticking to him must of had terrible ball skills.... also almost half his 61 receptions were for 27 first downs of the 10.2 yards he averaged per reception. 

Ruckert is a nobody?... who can also truck 2 players blocking and springing  Breece on a 63 yard run in his limited play last year.... so silly to say that as a Jets fan especially with him finally getting a chance for a bigger role this year! 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

I dont even know what "in the top half of the league" means.  Because of yards?  

Hunter Henry is 22 and 23 in yards and catches for TE, that's bottom half?  Well.  He went 42 for 450.  Of those 42 catches, 29 went for first down. He caught 6 TD passes this season. He contributed 36 pts for his team this season.  Conklin provided 0 points and had less first downs.  The Patriots didnt exactly have good QB play.

The Conklin adoration is a product of a couple of posters on this board (maybe one) and not by any means the vast majority.  Conklin is adequate.  He doesn't enhance the offense one bit.  Almost a poster boy for middling performance.  Anyone with a fraction of a brain would prefer Henry to Conklin.  Geez, where did this comparison even come from?   In fact, the vast majority here, including moi, were hoping that Ruckert would improve us at the position. Nope. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I think this is all coming down to everyone on here having different definitions of a JAG and I dont call, street fee agents, Jags.  But another way to look at this is, I think we can all agree, if Conklin gets IR'd, nobody even notices he's gone.  To me, that's a JAG.

I think we'd notice, for a few reasons.  First, most of us here at JN are lunatics.  Second, there might be FF implications for some.  Finally, I think we would have a 768 page thread comparing Bowers to whichever player ends up getting snaps.  

I use a similar definition to you.  A replacement level player.  Guys like Lazard and Uzomah have been that in the past but were decidedly worse with the Jets.  I think if you fill your team with guys under our definition of JAG and then have a couple of special guys you are much better off than with a bunch of slightly above JAG level players.  I'm sure Derek Harper was better than BJ Armstrong and it did not make a lick of difference. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

If Conklin can duplicate his numbers from last season, he's carrying his weight, he doesn't have to be a superstar with the supporting cast that's around him.

If he can have 61 contested catches and catch them all w/o fumbling, I'm good with that.

I'll be honest, in any given circumstance, I'd rather see a throw go to Ruckert, or a RB (Hall, the new kid), or a WR.

Conklin is ok.  Just ok.  No dynamism, no YAC really, just....there.  Makes a few easy catches a game and doesn't do much with them.  Reliable hands I suppose.

I hope part of 2024 is phasing Conklin out of the Jets offense and phasing Ruckert (and possibly Kuntz or Yeboah) in the passing game instead.

Rodgers is the problem with that idea tho, he loves his Vets, and that will likely color snapcounts at TE this year at least.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Yeah, that was not the "entirety" of your position at all.  It may have been your major point of contention w/ the Jets drafting him but you went hard on the Bowers will suck in the NFL saying sh*t like, "how does a small, undersized TE, unathletic, tweener slot WR translate to the NFL, how does he even get the ball, nobody his size has ever succeed". Dont try and try and twist it now.  I remember it all, homey!

I'm great w/ disagreeing on the term JAG, but I dont think fringe roster players get that designation, personally.  

If you dont understand what a JAG is, which you and most jet fans dont, there is no use in continuing the conversation.  Enjoy continuing to sound foolish.

In other news, the boys looking good in otas today.  If Rodgers stays healthy, this is a 13 win team and div champs.

Enjoy jet fans!!!!

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Keep padding that post count son.  😉

That was a solid burn in 99.  

Out of curiosity, do you happen to have a tribal band arm tattoo around your bicep? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Typical Connor Hughes 

Rich Cimini @RichCimini

So to recap the Haason Reddick situation: He has not attended any voluntary workouts after being traded to the #Jets. He's had no communication with Saleh, who deferred to Joe Douglas when asked if Reddick is seeking a new contract. (Typically, Douglas isn't available to the media during OTAs.) Saleh: "I'm focused on the guys who are here and Haason's a pro. He's been in this league a while. He's produced it at a very high level for a long time. He's got his routine and if it makes people feel better, we know where he's at, we know what he's doing and we know he's working his tail off to get where he needs to get you to have a productive '24 season." Reddick has one year left on his deal ($14.5M) and it's believed that he wants an extension. By skipping workouts, he won't collect his $250K workout bonus.

So the silver lining is that the Jets are getting an extra 250k towards their cap? If so, woohoo.

Haason is trying to help the Jets anyway he can.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

No, I've put the emphasis on his entire game.  The not scoring a single TD in 27 games of Football speaks to everything I've said about him.  It's all connected.  He's not a dynamic WR, he cant run routes, he doesnt get open down field, he doesnt provide any YAC.  He's an outlet guy who falls over immediately upon catching the ball.  He's one of the worst pass protection TE's in the NFL.  Throw in the fact, he had the 11th most Red Zone targets for a TE in the NFL and didnt score, speaks to how JAGalicious he actually is.  I'm currently reading that he's the amazing contested catch guy...wouldnt that be super valuable in the endzone?  Or maybe because he's not very good at getting open, he has to make contested catches or because he usually gets the ball as a check down and check downs typically arent available in the red zone.  Therefore he's ineffective.  That adds up.  Common sense.  And it's why he doesnt score.  Even w/ a QB who threw for 4500 yards and 35 TD's.  

I like TD's.  They're fun!  They put points on the board.  If you have more points then the other team, you win!  Conklin doesnt contribute in that dept, which isnt typically the mark of a good player but rather, the mark of a JAG.  

You’ve say you’ve put the emphasis on his whole game while calling him a JAG.  When asked why your answer was lack of TDs.  Oh, and his being 
While listing every aspect of pass catching and claiming he doesn’t do any of them.including being one of the worst blockers.

Being targeted in the RZ, on the 19 say, for a ZW 3 yard passes to his laces doesn’t make anyone a JAG because he didn’t score

All this nonsense doesn’t change the fact that the Jets needed a LT more than they needed an undersized TE who would have contributed less to the blocking game.  

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Look at the shape T-I-P-P-Y is in?  Holy smokes.  Hes ripped.  This dude is going to be smashing guys at the point of attack and pulling out and running over people on outside runs.

This kid is going to give Mawae a run as the best center in jets history.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1