The Jets will have 30 + Free Agents next off-season? Seems like a pretty high number if it's accurate.

26 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Jets M.O.  Pretty standard

Bring in Vet Qb and overspend on bad contract ----then-  Fire GM/HC, cut/trade your good players, full rebuild, draft rookie QB to start....

Next year this is exactly what's going to happen.

Is that really their MO or should I go through all the failed QB's they've drafted starting with your boy, Slappy? 

22 hours ago, slats said:

Good reason to not enjoy this season. 

Just not really on board with the coaching staff, the team building philosophy, and especially our head coach. Lowest level of interest in a Jets season in quite a long while. I can't really see scenarios where this season goes well outside of miracle wish fulfillment.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Just not really on board with the coaching staff, the team building philosophy, and especially our head coach. Lowest level of interest in a Jets season in quite a long while. I can't really see scenarios where this season goes well outside of miracle wish fulfillment.

Your expectations weren't lower in Year 2 of Zach Wilson? Come on 🤣 Or when Rodgers went down last year? I'm not sure that anyone here expexted the Jets to win more than 2 games once Zach took over.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Bring in Vet Qb and overspend on bad contract ----then-  Fire GM/HC, cut/trade your good players, full rebuild, draft rookie QB to start....

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Did you actually read the post?  

Not sure you did.  Go back.

I did. They Jets have spent several high round draft picks on Sanchez, Darnold and Wilson. Clearly this strategy hasn't worked. I'd rather them build the team with guys like G. Wilson, Breece Hall, Gardner, JJ and then plug a vet QB in there. Clearly drafting a rookie doesn't work for them. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I did. They Jets have spent several high round draft picks on Sanchez, Darnold and Wilson. Clearly this strategy hasn't worked. I'd rather them build the team with guys like G. Wilson, Breece Hall, Gardner, JJ and then plug a vet QB in there. Clearly drafting a rookie doesn't work for them. 

Oh, I agree.

But it's what's going to happen.  After this folly with Rodgers is over they will fire Saleh and JD, draft a QB in the first round, trade Sauce and Hall (or just not resign him) and start a 1st round QB.

You might not like it, I surely don't but it is what's going to happen.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Oh, I agree.

But it's what's going to happen.  After this folly with Rodgers is over they will fire Saleh and JD, draft a QB in the first round, trade Sauce and Hall (or just not resign him) and start a 1st round QB.

You might not like it, I surely don't but it is what's going to happen.

Whatever you say, Chief.

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

Your expectations weren't lower in Year 2 of Zach Wilson? Come on 🤣 Or when Rodgers went down last year? I'm not sure that anyone here expexted the Jets to win more than 2 games once Zach took over.

I was not all that excited last year as I vehemently opposed the Rodgers trade and the season went roughly as expected. 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

I was not all that excited last year as I vehemently opposed the Rodgers trade and the season went roughly as expected. 

I said year 2 Zach,  not year 3. Year two was the one were he continued to stink up the joint and cost the Jets a playoff spot. He cost us one last year too, but that was his "improved" year. 

Is that really their MO or should I go through all the failed QB's they've drafted starting with your boy, Slappy? 
They have not drafted an above average QB since OB.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Think this came down from Woody. IF he makes a regime change at the end of the season, the new regime won't be saddled with many long-term contracts.  Cimini also pointed out the Jets haven't replaced Rex Hogan or Chad Alexander. Cimini has also heard there were cost cuts to the non-football side of the organization..

I don’t think it’s such a problem unless olu doesn’t work out at left tackle.  Even there both Moses and smith could be re-signed if they want to come back.  They’re both young enough to have two or more good seasons left barring injury. And guys like Warren or Mitchell or Hansen or ??? are still around to fill the open spots.  Replacing Williams could be problem if he has a good season.  Don’t forget that Wilson and sauce will probably want to start talking about their new deals so the jets will need some cap space.

37 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Replacing Williams could be problem if he has a good season.

How well he and Rodgers “connect” will play a big role in him staying. If he puts up Pro Bowl level stats, then he may prefer to take a little less to play with an all-time great. Fortunately having our #1 next year, we can find a good WR as well since OL (Simpson, AVT, Tipmann, Warren & Mitchell) & RB (Hall, Allen, Davis & Izzy) are set for a couple of years. 
Hoping Corley is as good as JD has claimed. Getting GW extended is important if he has a breakout year with Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

How well he and Rodgers “connect” will play a big role in him staying. If he puts up Pro Bowl level stats, then he may prefer to take a little less to play with an all-time great. Fortunately having our #1 next year, we can find a good WR as well since OL (Simpson, AVT, Tipmann, Warren & Mitchell) & RB (Hall, Allen, Davis & Izzy) are set for a couple of years. 
Hoping Corley is as good as JD has claimed. Getting GW extended is important if he has a breakout year with Rodgers.

Good point.  I think too many of these queries focus more on the impending free agency as opposed to what may happen if the team has a really good year, especially if Rodgers continues to play at a high level.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Yup.  Also, for some of these vets that have not won (Smith, Moses, Williams) they may be more interested in a chance to win a SB than going to highest bidder.   How this season plays out will probably go a long way to determining if they want to stay.  And Fashanu's growth will also influence the two Ts and how likely we are to want to bring either guy back.

On 6/13/2024 at 2:08 PM, JohnnyLV said:

I wanted the Rodgers trade mostly because I knew it was only shot at finally having Zach replaced as QB1.  I quickly realized what a Goddamned diva this guy was with his stupid moves like giving Randall Cobb who shouldn’t have been in the NFL years ago a contract and roster spot and giving Lazard that asinine contract. Nevermind his other nonsense just look at his record as shadow GM

I figured he’d get injured early in the season but 4 plays in was fast.  Keeping the Owner’s pet around as QB2 very quickly proved to be a crapshow.  And now Rodgers is vacationing in Peru pondering retirement while our current backup QB is a running qb made of glass

On 6/12/2024 at 11:36 AM, slats said:

If you look around the league, I don’t think this is unusual. It’s not just Joe Douglas signing guys to these one year deals, nowadays it seems like just a handful of free agents get three or more years while everyone else is playing musical chairs for one year roster spots. Outside of Smith, Williams, and Moses, I don’t think there are any critical core players in line to walk from the Jets, and they have OTs in the pipeline. 

Reed/Carter as well.

On 6/12/2024 at 11:31 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

The biggest ones:

Haason Reddick

Tyron Smith

DJ Reed

Michael Carter II

Morgan Moses

Mike Williams

Ashtyn Davis

Chuck Clark

Tony Adams

Jamien Sherwood

Tyler Conklin

Javon Kinlaw

A lot of the above were guys signed on to 1-year deals in the first place and we’d look to replace some of them in the draft.  Mike Williams in particular among the biggest names.

My guess is we let at least one of the CBs go - probably Reed.  Safety will be in flux but what else is new.  

How Fashanu looks will be huge so we maybe don’t have to invest a ton at OT for at least one offseason.  

Yep. Odds are we resign Carter and Adams as priorities and Sherwood as a relatively easy resign. For just about everyone else (except Williams and the Safeties), the Jets have a pipeline & a plan:

Free Agent ---------------Pipeline

Haason Reddick ------ Will McDonald

Tyron Smith ---------- Olu Fashanu

DJ Reed -------------- Quantez Stiggers

Morgan Moses ------ Carter Warren

Mike Williams -------- Nobody

Ashtyn Davis --------- Jarrick Bernard Converse

Chuck Clark ---------- Nobody

Tyler Conklin -------- Ruckert

Javon Kinlaw -------- Nobody

Obviously, not all of those backup plans will pan out, but if the staff feels comfortable with, say, Olu, Warren, McDonald and Ruckert we'll be in a position to allow a bunch of really good veterans hit the market and pick up comp picks when they do (odds are that guys like Smith, Reed, Reddick, Conklin, Moses, and Williams would all get deals that qualify for the comp pick formula - and if not we can always resign guys at very livable prices).

Cap wise, we're sitting on about 65M in expected room heading into next offseason (counting the 6.5M we get back from cutting Lazard). We would be well positioned to add to the team, whether that's at WR (by keeping Williams long term or signing one of the many members of a ridiculously stacked WR FA class). 

Of course, if the team heads into next offseason feeling like they can't replace the bulk of those key guys out of the pipeline, that would dramatically change the outlook. But that's got to be the current plan

• Post of the Week 2

17 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Only DJ Reed, Mike Williams, Sherwood, MC II & Charles (ST) would I be focused on having return. 

How these contracts affect the extensions of Sauce, Hall, GW and JJ (if he continues to ball) would determine whether DJ lands that big contract.

Yeboah, Kuntz, Reddick, Surratt, Echols would be my tier 2 signings. 
Everyone else…. Meh

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Reed/Carter as well.

Yep. Odds are we resign Carter and Adams as priorities and Sherwood as a relatively easy resign. For just about everyone else (except Williams and the Safeties), the Jets have a pipeline & a plan:

Free Agent ---------------Pipeline

Haason Reddick ------ Will McDonald

Tyron Smith ---------- Olu Fashanu

DJ Reed -------------- Quantez Stiggers

Morgan Moses ------ Carter Warren

Mike Williams -------- Nobody

Ashtyn Davis --------- Jarrick Bernard Converse

Chuck Clark ---------- Nobody

Tyler Conklin -------- Ruckert

Javon Kinlaw -------- Nobody

Obviously, not all of those backup plans will pan out, but if the staff feels comfortable with, say, Olu, Warren, McDonald and Ruckert we'll be in a position to allow a bunch of really good veterans hit the market and pick up comp picks when they do (odds are that guys like Smith, Reed, Reddick, Conklin, Moses, and Williams would all get deals that qualify for the comp pick formula - and if not we can always resign guys at very livable prices).

Cap wise, we're sitting on about 65M in expected room heading into next offseason (counting the 6.5M we get back from cutting Lazard). We would be well positioned to add to the team, whether that's at WR (by keeping Williams long term or signing one of the many members of a ridiculously stacked WR FA class). 

Of course, if the team heads into next offseason feeling like they can't replace the bulk of those key guys out of the pipeline, that would dramatically change the outlook. But that's got to be the current plan

Would love to see McDonald step up and have 50% share of snaps with Reddick.

#1 reason would be to keep that 2026 2nd rd. pick & giving Iggles the 3rd.

#2 reason would be to have our #15 selection balling out in only 2nd season, similar to JJ. JD took a lot of crap 💩 with that pick.

#3 reason would be forcing Reddick to play hard for his next contract and our receiving a 4th rd. Comp pick

27 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

BTW, here's the full list of current 2025 FAs for anyone wondering (it includes Corley since he's unsigned)

https://overthecap.com/free-agency/new-york-jets

The list includes folks like Hector, Newman-Johnson, Charles, Kuntz, Hayes, Deculus, Suratt, Takk, Cohen, Eguavoen, Seibert, Holmes ... the bulk of it is roster filler

There's a difference between a free agent and an unsigned draft pick.

I posted the full list of free agents 6 posts back.

21 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Would anyone even notice if 22 of those 34 disappeared today?

CB Isaiah Oliver
DL Leki Fotu
OL Wes Schweitzer
TE Kenny Yeboah
LB Sam Eguavoen
K Austin Seibert
DL Tanzel Smart
RB Tarik Cohen
DL Jalyn Holmes
OL Jake Hanson
WR Malik Taylor
CB Tae Hayes
FB Nick Bawden
DL Bruce Hector
OT Austin Deculus
LB Jamien Sherwood
OG Xavier Newman-Johnson
LB Chazz Surratt
CB Brandin Echols
WR Irvin Charles
TE Zack Kuntz
DL Takk McKinley

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Would anyone even notice if 22 of those 34 disappeared today?

CB Isaiah Oliver
DL Leki Fotu
OL Wes Schweitzer
TE Kenny Yeboah
LB Sam Eguavoen
K Austin Seibert
DL Tanzel Smart
RB Tarik Cohen
DL Jalyn Holmes
OL Jake Hanson
WR Malik Taylor
CB Tae Hayes
FB Nick Bawden
DL Bruce Hector
OT Austin Deculus
LB Jamien Sherwood
OG Xavier Newman-Johnson
LB Chazz Surratt
CB Brandin Echols
WR Irvin Charles
TE Zack Kuntz
DL Takk McKinley

Surratt has developed nicely as a backup LB and should be extended relatively cheaply given his system familiarity. Schweitzer is a versatile backup OL and probably has another 1-2 year deal at backup OL dollars (say ~1.8M per). Sherwood has developed well and is probably the replacement for Mosely after next year at the latest (or after this year if they make him a post June 1 cut in 2025). Charles is a core special-teamer.

None of those guys are break-the-bank players but they'd be missed (and I kind of hope nobody hires Ulbrich as a HC next offseason, or we'll have more competition for guys like Sherwood and Surratt than we otherwise would)

58 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Surratt has developed nicely as a backup LB and should be extended relatively cheaply given his system familiarity. Schweitzer is a versatile backup OL and probably has another 1-2 year deal at backup OL dollars (say ~1.8M per). Sherwood has developed well and is probably the replacement for Mosely after next year at the latest (or after this year if they make him a post June 1 cut in 2025). Charles is a core special-teamer.

None of those guys are break-the-bank players but they'd be missed (and I kind of hope nobody hires Ulbrich as a HC next offseason, or we'll have more competition for guys like Sherwood and Surratt than we otherwise would)

My point was just that the THIRTY FOUR FREE AGENTS headline is click bait. Most of these guys are low/no impact and easily replaced or signed for low cap hits.

• Upvote 2

On 6/13/2024 at 2:53 PM, JohnnyLV said:

Have the Jets D and STs not been playoff worthy the past couple of seasons?  

The failure has been the QB position. We know why last seasons.  Four plays

On 6/13/2024 at 12:58 PM, FidelioJet said:

Which one is true? 

None of them 

On 6/19/2024 at 1:10 PM, whodeawhodat said:

we will also have over $58M in cap space so...

after this year we will be a destination with AR agreeing to play another year.

We will have plenty of cap space but Rodgers is not playing in 2025.

I think after next season Woody’s next big thing will be hiring Belichick and trading for Prescott