NFL sets a new low

Someone mentioned YT.  There is one guy well worth checking out, Buffalo Jets Fan.  Take my word for it.

BTW I do watch a bunch of TY and pay the $13/month to go add free.  Other than Netflix and Amazon Prime this is my only other subscription.    

22 hours ago, nycdan said:

nfl.com usually has some decent content.  It's pretty much where you can hope for the most neutral writing and some great videos.

Well now they have decided they need a paywall.

https://www.nfl.com/ - the top article has a little note saying 'NFL+'.  If you click on it, they want you to pony up $7/month for the privilege of reading about their sport that you already support in any number of ways.

So, more or less, they want us to further subsidize $50M/year QBs.

To quote my current favorite alien:  

YARN | This is some bullshit. | Resident Alien (2021) - S01E01 Pilot |  Video clips by quotes | 8af09560 | 紗

i don't subscribe to any of these sites with paywalls for their articles....like espn for example. waste of f*cking money and my enjoyment of things hasn't waned in any way

• Upvote 3

On 6/21/2024 at 10:45 AM, Darnold's Forehead said:

And yet people will pay it and somehow not care when the Dak Prescotts of the league get 60 mil per year.  Players do not need to earn historic amounts of money every single year. Major league sports are a drain on the middle-lower classes.  They have 0 competition to force them to adjust prices.

Shame.  Society’s boned.

4D046E10-AC76-421A-A691-D3C7A4E66707.jpeg.f35379b64d398bc6446bea932744746c.jpeg

As long as owners and league keep making more money, the players should too.  So I definitely don't blame the players.

The folks paying for it are to blame.  Right or wrong, it's a matter of opinion.  Capitalism at its finest. 

4 hours ago, neckdemon said:

i don't subscribe to any of these sites with paywalls for their articles....like espn for example. waste of f*cking money and my enjoyment of things hasn't waned in any way

ESPN first tried this 20 years ago with ESPN+.  I was like GTFO and that hasn’t changed

I haven’t used NFL.com since the 90’s

On 6/21/2024 at 5:26 PM, nycdan said:

Any incremental dollar they get from it probably comes at a cost of several times that in lost exposure to more eyeballs.  It's their decision to make.  I just happen to think its idiotic, verging on brain-dead.

What makes you think that NFL Fans are abandoning the NFL over an issue like this?

I think your interpretation is flawed.  Incremental revenue > incremental cost of lost future revenue because of the time value of money (1) and because fans are not quitting being NFL Fans (i.e. quitting consuming other free or cost NFL products) over an article behind a paywall.  Proof?  No one here on JN who is butthurt about it is quitting JN, quitting the Jets or quitting the NFL.  100% of butthurt people are remaining to spend elsewhere on NFL product.  And frankly many of the butthurt already weren't paying in much to start with, cheap people are cheap.

So there is no meaningful loss.  Only the incremental gain.  In the short run, the long run admittedly could be different, but lets be honest, the NFL lost vastly more consumers of their product over kneeling for the anthem than they ever will about an optional offseason article behind a paywall in a time when almost all media is moving behind login walls or pay walls as well.

On 6/21/2024 at 9:08 AM, nycdan said:

nfl.com usually has some decent content.  It's pretty much where you can hope for the most neutral writing and some great videos.

Well now they have decided they need a paywall.

https://www.nfl.com/ - the top article has a little note saying 'NFL+'.  If you click on it, they want you to pony up $7/month for the privilege of reading about their sport that you already support in any number of ways.

So, more or less, they want us to further subsidize $50M/year QBs.

To quote my current favorite alien:  

YARN | This is some bullshit. | Resident Alien (2021) - S01E01 Pilot |  Video clips by quotes | 8af09560 | 紗

I can't tell you how much I hate that stuff.

On an unrelated side note, anyone looking to pay $7 a month can have an ad free forum experience LOL!!!!!!!!!!

https://forums.jetnation.com/subscriptions/

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

What makes you think that NFL Fans are abandoning the NFL over an issue like this?

I think your interpretation is flawed.  Incremental revenue > incremental cost of lost future revenue because of the time value of money (1) and because fans are not quitting being NFL Fans (i.e. quitting consuming other free or cost NFL products) over an article behind a paywall.  Proof?  No one here on JN who is butthurt about it is quitting JN, quitting the Jets or quitting the NFL.  100% of butthurt people are remaining to spend elsewhere on NFL product.  And frankly many of the butthurt already weren't paying in much to start with, cheap people are cheap.

So there is no meaningful loss.  Only the incremental gain.  In the short run, the long run admittedly could be different, but lets be honest, the NFL lost vastly more consumers of their product over kneeling for the anthem than they ever will about an optional offseason article behind a paywall in a time when almost all media is moving behind login walls or pay walls as well.

They didn't quit the NFL either.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

They didn't quit the NFL either.

Oh I think you're wrong, many did.  I know several. 

Ridiculous IMO, but that's people these days.

Not all of them quit, not even a majority I'd probably agree, definitely, but some.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Oh I think you're wrong, many did.  I know several. 

Ridiculous IMO, but that's people these days.

Not all of them quit, not even a majority I'd probably agree, definitely, but some.

Yes, there's usually a negligible amount of extreme edge cases for anything.