Countdown to Kickoff

On 7/29/2024 at 10:39 AM, #27TheDominator said:

His son coached in Italy.  Nice guy.  He went to UCLA and was big into their program.  I also played/coached there with the cousin of guy who will contend for #39.

On 8/1/2024 at 10:36 AM, Lith said:

Day 39.  Tough day for the Countdown - not many options.  But there is never a bad day to relive Tom Brady throwing a pick 6 to Antonio Allen in a Jets win.

image.jpeg

Antonio Allen's pick-6 sparks Jets to victory - Newsday

That wasn't him

On 8/1/2024 at 10:45 AM, Dcat said:

Nope. 

I was looking for Harry Hamilton.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

First guy that I have posted that is a member of the current team, but he won't be the last.  Day 20.  Breece Hall.

What NFL fans are getting wrong about NY Jets' Breece Hall

Hoping to see #s 11, 10, 8, 5, 1 from the current team too! Agent 0 kinda has to make it too simply because of scarcity with that number!

• Upvote 1

Day 18.  Another tough day for the Countdown.  Not putting Mike Williams in the countdown until he plays a regular season game for us.  Does not leave me with many options: a back-up QB who played 50 years ago and a bunch of more recent WRs who never did much for the Jets.  Back-up QB gets the nod:  Al Woodall.

image.webp

Just now, Legend Killa7 said:

I love how you pretty much say something about everyone, but with Keyshawn?  we just throw the pic in there!  😆

I was not intentionally throwing any shade at Keyshawn -- although he was not one of my favorite players.  I was just in a rush doing some other stuff yesterday morning so I just threw the picture up without any comment.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

I was not intentionally throwing any shade at Keyshawn -- although he was not one of my favorite players.  I was just in a rush doing some other stuff yesterday morning so I just threw the picture up without any comment.

Missed opportunity…

Humanoid History on X: "Flash Gordon, New York Jets.  https://t.co/nyaZ9fLtWP" / XHumanoid History on X: "Flash Gordon, New York Jets.  https://t.co/nyaZ9fLtWP" / X

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

Day 17.  Braylon Edwards.  I believe this is after the playoff victory against the Colts.  Braylon did another backflip the following week after the win in New England.  I chose the one after the Colts game because I travelled to Indy for that one.  Sadly, there was no backflip after the Championship Game in Pitt -- I travelled to that one too.  Much different drive home from Pittsburgh than from Indy.

Jets' Braylon Edwards Finds Patience and Productivity - The New York Times

• Upvote 2

Day 17.  Braylon Edwards.  I believe this is after the playoff victory against the Colts.  Braylon did another backflip the following week after the win in New England.  I chose the one after the Colts game because I travelled to Indy for that one.  Sadly, there was no backflip after the Championship Game in Pitt -- I travelled to that one too.  Much different drive home from Pittsburgh than from Indy.
EDWARDS3-jumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale
I still remember the night the Jets acquired Braylon ... Great memory .. good dude.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Vinny was the choice for today, but since @playtowinthegame got in ahead of me, had to pivot to another #16 who also was a fan favorite.  Brad Smith.  One of my favorite moments was when he ran out of his shoe while returning a kick for a TD against the Bengals.

Jets Beat Bengals Without Last-Gasp Heroics - The New York Times

• Upvote 2

Brandon Marshall would have been the obvious choice for today, but I am going with a different and much more obscure option for today.  Sept 11, 1960, the Titans are playing the first game in franchise history.  They are leading the Bills 20-7 after two rushing touchdowns by starting QB Al Dorow.  In the 4th quarter, back-up QB, Dick Jamieson would put the game out of reach with a 13 yard TD pass to Art Powell.  Today's spot in the Countdown goes to the first player to throw a TD pass in NY Titan/Jet history. 

#15, Dick Jamieson.

Amazon.com: Football NFL 1961 Fleer #211 Dick Jamieson EX Excellent :  Collectibles & Fine Art

4 hours ago, Larz said:

One eye was always wide open.  Just ran by people 

Wesley Walker, in my opinion, is the most underrated Jet player in history.  He was a big play machine - he could score from anywhere on the field.  

As for day 14, Todd would have been my pick.  The memory that stick out most to me though did not involve Wesley.   IT was Todd's last second TD pass to Jerome Barkum to beat the Dolphins 16-15  to move into a first place tie with the Phins toward the end of the '81 season.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

21 hours ago, Lith said:

Wesley Walker, in my opinion, is the most underrated Jet player in history.  He was a big play machine - he could score from anywhere on the field.  

As for day 14, Todd would have been my pick.  The memory that stick out most to me though did not involve Wesley.   IT was Todd's last second TD pass to Jerome Barkum to beat the Dolphins 16-15  to move into a first place tie with the Phins toward the end of the '81 season.  

I see what you did there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Only one option for today.  #13. 

New York Jets legend Don Maynard dies at 86

Maynard is the clear choice, but I’d give an honorable mention to this guy.  Not only was he a good punter for us, but he had years of meritorious service as one of the co-hosts of Jets Journal.

image.jpeg.16484d840c2521cb0fe1baa33781d322.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 8/26/2024 at 12:28 PM, Lith said:

Walker made me a jets fan. My dad took me to the home opener one year and told me to watch 85

fell in love lol. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Larz said:

Have you read mark Kriegels biography? The Alabama Joe must have been something.  

No.  But I did read Joe's autobiography a few years ago.  It is hard to picture Namath as mobile, but it sounds like he moved pretty well at Alabama.  Would have loved to see how his career would played out if he stayed healthy.

Not many options for day 9, so I decided to go with the only player ever to play for the Jets who graduated from my High School.  I am also pretty sure he is the only NFL player who was also bar mitzvah'd by my Rabbi.  Day 9.  Oceanside High School graduate.  Jay Fiedler.

Countdown to 2013 NFL Kickoff | Page 26 | TheGangGreen.com - New York Jets  Message Board

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

• Lith featured and unfeatured this topic