Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

6 hours ago, batman10023 said:

that's what i don't get when people complain.   we traded a 3rd round 2026 draft pick.

we haven't given up a thing yet.

if he tolls his contract and we aren't able to trade him for something - then it was a bad trade.  but right now it's a nothing burger.

We also let huff go who had double digit sacks

• Upvote 1

Here's my cynical side talking (which is most of me).  Reddick's agent maybe killing time waiting to see if there is a key injury on the DL so he can scoop a few more dollars if the team gets a bit desperate.  The counterpoint to this is that the fines he is accumulating will pretty much wipe that out.  Honestly, it just doesn't make sense.  Ultimately, he's either looking at Le'Veon Bell maneuver which would be idiotic, or he's going to come in at a deal probably pretty close to what the Jets already offered, only minus the fines.  

His agent is well-established, not a noob.  Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Here's my cynical side talking (which is most of me).  Reddick's agent maybe killing time waiting to see if there is a key injury on the DL so he can scoop a few more dollars if the team gets a bit desperate.  The counterpoint to this is that the fines he is accumulating will pretty much wipe that out.  Honestly, it just doesn't make sense.   

This is what's so frustrating about this whole fiasco IMHO.

By the way, his agents are absolute douche bags - Jimmy Sexton & Tory Dandy of (CAA Football)

Seems like every time there is an issue with a player signing or honoring a contract, Jimmy Suxton's name comes up.

See Malachi Corley.

Tory Dandy is also Cee-Dee Lamb's agent, Lamb is not participating in training camp either as he seeks a raise on the $17.9 million he is scheduled to make on his fifth-year option

This seems to be a very popular tactic for the agents at CAA football.

On 7/29/2024 at 7:29 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

We also let huff go who had double digit sacks

most people realize he didn't want to resign with us because he wanted to be an every down player.

so your comment isn't really relevant in my opinion

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Here's my cynical side talking (which is most of me).  Reddick's agent maybe killing time waiting to see if there is a key injury on the DL so he can scoop a few more dollars if the team gets a bit desperate.  The counterpoint to this is that the fines he is accumulating will pretty much wipe that out.  Honestly, it just doesn't make sense.  Ultimately, he's either looking at Le'Veon Bell maneuver which would be idiotic, or he's going to come in at a deal probably pretty close to what the Jets already offered, only minus the fines.  

I forget who it was that made this point but Joe Douglas has to be firm here with all the other upcoming contracts. The other agents are watching and taking notes. Another reason why it doesn't make a lot of sense for Reddick's agents. At the end of the day they do work for him though so if he's insisting on something that they don't think makes much sense they can either press for his wishes or drop him. Not a great choice for them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I forget who it was that made this point but Joe Douglas has to be firm here with all the other upcoming contracts. The other agents are watching and taking notes. Another reason why it doesn't make a lot of sense for Reddick's agents. At the end of the day they do work for him though so if he's insisting on something that they don't think makes much sense they can either press for his wishes or drop him. Not a great choice for them.

Reddick's agents are absolute douche bags - Jimmy Sexton & Tory Dandy of CAA Football.

Seems like every time there is an issue with a player signing, or honoring a contract, Jimmy Suxton's name comes up, or one of the other agents associated with CCA football and there are several of them.

See Malachi Corley, a 3rd round pick, who didn't sign until the day before training camp started.

Tory Dandy is also Cee-Dee Lamb's agent, Lamb is not participating in training camp either as he seeks a raise on the $17.9 million he is scheduled to make on his fifth-year option

It sure seems that the agents at CAA football, encourage their players to hold out and not honor their contracts, when they want a raise.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Reddick's agents are absolute douche bags - Jimmy Sexton & Tory Dandy of CAA Football.

Seems like every time there is an issue with a player signing, or honoring a contract, Jimmy Suxton's name comes up, or one of the other agents associated with CCA football and there are several of them.

See Malachi Corley.

Seems that the agents at CAA football, encourage their players to hold out and not honor their contracts.

Let them eat cake! 🎂 

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

See Malachi Corley.

Seems that the agents at CAA football, encourage their players to hold out and not honor their contracts.

Corley didn't have a contract.

Lamb had no choice but to sign that contract.  The 5th year option is part of the rookie deal that he had no say over.  Yes, it is part of the CBA.   CeeDee Lamb was not a member of the NFLPA when they agreed to it.  

I get that we don't like the effects on our team, but I'm not going to complain about an agent trying to maximize their employee's earnings.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Corley didn't have a contract.

Lamb had no choice but to sign that contract.  The 5th year option is part of the rookie deal that he had no say over.  Yes, it is part of the CBA.   CeeDee Lamb was not a member of the NFLPA when they agreed to it.  

I get that we don't like the effects on our team, but I'm not going to complain about an agent trying to maximize their employee's earnings.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You think Corley was under contract and CeeDee Lamb was a part of the NFLPA before he was drafted?

Both points are completely irrelevant.

Corley's contract was pre-determined/slotted per the CBA, salaries were pre-detrmined - but his agents delayed the signing looking for something extra - God only knows what it was - guaranteed money, off-set language who knows.

Point being his agents took what should have been a lay-up, in him signing his rookie contract and dragged it out all the way to the day before training camp - and this was for a 3rd round pick.

CeeDee Lamb is playing on the 5th year option of his rookie deal, play out your contract for Gods sake and collect in free agency next year. Is that such an unreasonable expectation?

These players are so friggin' greedy is sickening and all these jerk-off agents do, is throw gas on the fire.

Pro athletes are ridiculously overpaid as it is.

• Thumb Down 3

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The players are greedy?  The ones that are putting their health on the line every week for a few million?  

Please don't get me started on this, because this is really a pet-peeve of mine.

There are honest, hard-working people in the world, that literally put their lives on the line every day for 60 - 70K a year, just barely getting by, so please, spare me the poor player grobble.

These players are grossly overpaid.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Please don't get me started on this, because this is really a pet-peeve of mine.

There are honest, hard-working people in the world, that put literally put their lives on the line every day for 60 - 70K a year, just barely getting by, so please, spare me the poor player grobble.

Why is what others are paid relevant?   The players are the driving force in a billion dollar a year industry.  Who is more deserving of that money?

If you are going to tell me the players don't matter why aren't we discussing the spring league? 

• Upvote 4
  • More Ugh 1

13 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The players are greedy?  The ones that are putting their health on the line every week for a few million?  Not the teams that average $137M annually in profit? 

Goodell has been making around $64M annually for years.  What does he add to my enjoyment of the game?   Being booed at during the draft.  He's not greedy?  **** that fat mother****er.  I'm glad my friend's cousin said "Hi Phil" to him at the London game cause he thought he was Phil Simms and then said "Phil's a dick!" based on his response.

The athletes are overpaid for being the show?   Not the owners giving us a sh*tty inconvenient air conditioner to sit in on Sunday afternoons so that I would often rather watch the game at the diner than go even with free tickets?

Those contracts are slotted because of a system that is completely rigged against the players by a bunch of fat old men, a few fat old women and one public corporation all designed to maximize their own profits.  You want to hammer an agent for doing his job.  He should just take the ******* table scraps these assholes give him?  

Yet there’s men and women in the military putting their lives on the line daily making less than 100k. And you think nfl players deserve this money bc of health.

GTFO with that logic.

• Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Those contracts are slotted because of a system that is completely rigged against the players by a bunch of fat old men, a few fat old women and one public corporation all designed to maximize their own profits.  You want to hammer an agent for doing his job.  He should just take the ******* table scraps these assholes give him?  

i agree with a lot of what you said,  but the contracts are slotted because veterans got tired of rookies being the highest paid players in the game.  Things like Vernon Davis signing his rookie contract and becoming the highest paid TE of all time didn't sit well with guys who had 6 years and multiple pro bowls.

There is a pool of money for contracts, the more rookies get (many of whom bust) the less there is for vets with 3+ years in the league.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, chirorob said:

i agree with a lot of what you said,  but the contracts are slotted because veterans got tired of rookies being the highest paid players in the game.  Things like Vernon Davis signing his rookie contract and becoming the highest paid TE of all time didn't sit well with guys who had 6 years and multiple pro bowls.

There is a pool of money for contracts, the more rookies get (many of whom bust) the less there is for vets with 3+ years in the league.

FBCE58F0-FF27-4408-8440-758982C4A604.gif

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

There are honest, hard-working people in the world, that literally put their lives on the line every day for 60 - 70K a year, just barely getting by, so please, spare me the poor player grobble.

The average NFL player’s lifespan is 20 years shorter than the average person.  So please, spare me the “whatabout the blue collar guy” drivel.  Players are both the employees AND product in an enormous industry that is also detrimental to their health, and meanwhile they aren’t state employees.  What they get paid vs an average Joe is an apples/oranges comparison.

If you don’t know how to separate what market value is in a private industry versus what politicians choose to give firefighters and why the former shouldn’t receive your scorn over that then maybe it’s time to put the internet away for a bit.

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Yet there’s men and women in the military putting their lives on the line daily making less than 100k. And you think nfl players deserve this money bc of health.

GTFO with that logic.

Logic is exactly what it is.  

There are people making less money and doing more.  No argument. 

The NFL Is a multi-billion dollar a year production.  As Shane points out if you have a way to divert some of that money to the military let me know.  Until then, GTFO with that logic.

There are also people sitting on their ass collecting way more with an unlimited career span.  The money the NFL makes it on the backs of the players.  The salary cap is literally a nanny put in place to protect the owners from themselves and the only purpose it serves is to keep player salaries lower.  

I can even see bitching about Reddick.  He has a contract, he doesn't like it.  I don't begrudge him doing what he can to make more, but at least he agreed to that deal.  Corley was not under contract.  If he decided, eh.  I don't feel like playing for the slot and walked away he would be completely under his rights.  If he uses that fact to get himself some minor clause in a contract to his favor, more power to him.  CeeDee Lamb probably should have been pick 11 in 2020.  How much money did he lose because Douglas wouldn't listen to Gase?  He wasn't in the NFLPA when they signed that deal and the rookie scale is a particularly sneaky way for the vets (who are members of the NFLPA) to screw over the college kids who will be coming into the league (who aren't members of the NFLPA) by getting a bigger piece of the pie.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The average NFL player’s lifespan is 20 years shorter than the average person.  So please, spare me the “whatabout the blue collar guy” drivel.  Players are both the employees AND product in an enormous industry that is detrimental to their health, and they aren’t state employees. 

There is no comparison whatsoever @Jetsfan80 when you have public servants & military personnel that routinely die in their 20's & 30's in the line of duty protecting people just like you, your family & the public at large.

You're completely embarassing yourself.

Take that avatar of yours and smack yourself in the head a couple of times.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

GTFO with that logic.

“Deserve” has nothing to do with it.  Of course frontline healthcare workers and soldiers deserve much more money than they get.  But you’re complaining about the wrong people in all of this.  

The billionaires who run the league - and the country - are the ones who can help change the military payscale but you’re complaining about the players instead.  

The owners are overpaid and greedy.  Not the players.  

• Upvote 3

On 7/29/2024 at 10:51 AM, Dcat said:

oh please.  Every freaking team deals with these same issues.  Each one has its own special elements as well.  Stop making the Jets look like the outlier in this regard.  It really is false pretenses and frankly, predictably boring and wrong.

Some people get some perverse enjoyment from turning a common occurrence into a Jet only or it’s worse with the Jets thing.   
Matts one of those who are over the top and usually dead wrong types

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

There is no comparison whatsoever @Jetsfan80 when you have public servants that routinely die in their 20's & 30's in the line of duty protecting people just like you & the public at large.

You're completely embarassing yourself.

Take that avatar of yours and smack yourself in the head a couple of times.

Again, you’re directing your anger over this at the wrong people.  You’re complaining about the greedy players when you should be complaining about the billionaire owners who are part of the club that help keep military salaries low.  

The players are doing nothing wrong in this and have nothing to do with broke military vets.  At least not from a big picture perspective.  All you can really be critical of is them not donating a hefty portion of their salary to charities that support the troops (which I’ll bet some do anyways).

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The owners are overpaid and greedy.  Not the players.  

One is no better than the other - both are greedy in my opinion.

Yes the owners have and are making much more money - but a lot of the players are every bit as greedy as the owners, to think otherwise is extremely naive.

There are some players that aren't, who actually honor and play out their contracts - but every year, that's becoming more of a rarity.

• Haha 1

The average NFL player’s lifespan is 20 years shorter than the average person.  So please, spare me the “whatabout the blue collar guy” drivel.  Players are both the employees AND product in an enormous industry that is also detrimental to their health, and meanwhile they aren’t state employees.  What they get paid vs an average Joe is an apples/oranges comparison.
If you don’t know how to separate what market value is in a private industry versus what politicians choose to give firefighters and why the former shouldn’t receive your scorn over that then maybe it’s time to put the internet away for a bit.
Players are voluntary gladiators ... This is not a new concept ...

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Again, you’re directing your anger over this at the wrong people.  You’re complaining about the greedy players when you should be complaining about the billionaire owners who are part of the club that help keep military salaries low.  

The players are doing nothing wrong in this and have nothing to do with broke military vets.  At least not from a big picture perspective.  All you can really be critical of is them not donating a hefty portion of their salary to charities that support the troops (which I’ll bet some do anyways).

I'm not angry, just stating the facts, but it is irritating hearing people trying to say "Oh woe is me, feel bad for the poor player" please spare me that nonsense.

Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

One is no better than the other - both are greedy in my opinion.

Yes the owners have and are making much more money - but a lot of the players are every bit as greedy as the owners, to think otherwise is extremely naive.

There are some players that aren't, who actually honor and play out their contracts.

They have a few years to maximize their earnings before retiring in their 30s (if they’re lucky - most don’t make it in the league that long) with (typically) no other real-world skills.  I don’t get the idea of being so upset when these guys try to maximize their earnings in a short window.

You also operate like a person’s salary determines their worth in peoples’ eyes and that’s not the case either.

You’re comparing workers in two completely different worlds (private vs public sector) and complaining about the private workers being greedy despite a system where billionaires and politicians are to blame for the public sector employees getting underpaid.

If players are greedy, then I don’t have a word to adequately describe what the billionaires are in all of this.  And you think they are EQUALLY greedy?  Thats absolutely absurd.

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I'm not angry, just stating the facts, but it is irritating hearing people trying to say "Oh woe is me, feel bad for the poor player" please spare me that nonsense.

No one is “feeling bad” for the players.  We’re stating the reality of the situation, and in turn you’re calling players greedy while seemingly defending the ones who create the inequitable pay systems in the first place:  IE if the players are greedy that means you’re ok with the owners getting more money - there’s no alternative option here.  Players getting less don’t mean the military vets get more.  

You’re just not seeing the big picture at all in this.  

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade