Be ready for a new regime in 2025

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I know a bunch of teams around the league played their second teams last night, but I think it’s a mistake in the Jets’ case, particularly on the OL. These guys haven’t played with each other, and Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses rarely practice. Forfeiting live reps for the OL at this point is dicey. They’re one failed blitz pickup (or cut block) away from a direct repeat of last season. 

The large difference being all 3 QBs on this roster are better than what we had last year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Playoff choker would be an improvement for us 

HCs are generally about as good as their QBs, aside from a few truly awful (Urban Meyer) or transcendent (Andy Reid). Let’s see what Saleh can do with hopefully a full year of competent QB play.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

big mike coming in from dallas

You mean the guy that should have been hired 5 years ago or whatever?? McCarthy?

ONLY the Johnson Jets would hire Adam ******* Gase over Mike McCarthy. We STILL haven't recovered from that disaster.

Great. I'm angry again. Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

HCs are generally about as good as their QBs, aside from a few truly awful (Urban Meyer) or transcendent (Andy Reid). Let’s see what Saleh can do with hopefully a full year of competent QB play.

Agreed 

I believe most NFL coaches can win a SB with an elite QB and a little luck 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You mean the guy that should have been hired 5 years ago or whatever?? McCarthy?

ONLY the Johnson Jets would hire Adam ******* Gase over Mike McCarthy. We STILL haven't recovered from that disaster.

Great. I'm angry again. Thanks.

Yeah, the layup was there and Chris Johnson went for the driveway HORSE trick shot — behind the back, off the garage roof, bounce on the hood of dad’s Buick, nothin’ but net.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah, the layup was there and Chris Johnson went for the driveway HORSE trick shot — behind the back, off the garage roof, bounce on the hood of dad’s Buick, run into the street to get hit by a garbage truck, set yourself on fire with lighter fluid, nothin’ but net.

Corrected for accuracy.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

I assume if they make the playoffs and don’t embarrass themselves this regime will stay at least for another year.  And then the big question is, does douglas take another swing at an early qb or not?  B/c i doubt this guy Jordan ever sees the field for the jets, he’s got a redshirt year this year, rodgers may well play next season and if they take a 1st round qb that guy immediately jumps ahead of him anyway.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I assume if they make the playoffs and don’t embarrass themselves this regime will stay at least for another year.  And then the big question is, does douglas take another swing at an early qb or not?  B/c i doubt this guy Jordan ever sees the field for the jets, he’s got a redshirt year this year, rodgers may well play next season and if they take a 1st round qb that guy immediately jumps ahead of him anyway.  

Agree, playoffs likely means no firings at the top. The question is what must the Jets do to secure extensions for JD/Saleh? This is hard to answer. I think JD's last year is next year and Saleh's is 2026. I could see Woody extending JD for 1 more year if we make the playoffs but don't make any waves. At least then the two are linked in time.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Agree, playoffs likely means no firings at the top. The question is what must the Jets do to secure extensions for JD/Saleh? This is hard to answer. I think JD's last year is next year and Saleh's is 2026. I could see Woody extending JD for 1 more year if we make the playoffs but don't make any waves. At least then the two are linked in time.

I seem to agree with the majority here that if anyone stays beyond 2024 it’s douglas, who has acquired a lot of talent at least on paper.  I can’t remember a gm who screwed up 2 very high 1st rounders like wilson and becton and remained, but his trade of adams yielded breece and wilson and if you assume tippman, avt and olu all play well that’s 3 good OL.  But if a gm can’t draft a qb his time anywhere is limited. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I seem to agree with the majority here that if anyone stays beyond 2024 it’s douglas, who has acquired a lot of talent at least on paper.  I can’t remember a gm who screwed up 2 very high 1st rounders like wilson and becton and remained, but his trade of adams yielded breece and wilson and if you assume tippman, avt and olu all play well that’s 3 good OL.  But if a gm can’t draft a qb his time anywhere is limited. 

The only GM I can think of who survived for a long time without hitting on a QB was JD's old boss, Ozzie Newsome. But Ozzie was so good otherwise, he was able to compensate somewhat for his QB woes. Is JD at that point? I cannot say that he is but he's had some pretty huge smash hits. He's also made some bonehead mistakes, but so did Ozzie (and every other GM).

Just now, jgb said:

The only GM I can think of who survived for a long time without hitting on a QB was JD's old boss, Ozzie Newsome. But Ozzie was so good otherwise, he was able to compensate somewhat for his QB woes. Is JD at that point? I cannot say that he is but he's had some pretty huge smash hits. He's also made some bonehead mistakes, but so did Ozzie (and every other GM).

Well idk Ozzie’s entire qb draft history, but didn’t he take flacco?  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Well idk Ozzie’s entire qb draft history, but didn’t he take flacco?  

Sorry, I didn't mean he never hit on a FQB (he drafted Lamar, also) only that he survived beyond the GM life-expectancy before he did so. He drafted Flacco in year 7 of his tenure as GM.

51 minutes ago, jgb said:

Good HC's put in place a plan and structure to get a good QB. Give any HC an elite QB who is already elite and sure they will be successful. 

But that situation is very rare. 

Sean Peyton walked into Denver and had a washed up Russel Wilson as his QB. He now has Bo Nix who looks like a stud young QB. 

That does not happen by luck, Sean Peyton knows what he is looking for, and knows how to develop a QB. 

Saleh brought in a guy who pounded the table for ZW, and then played ZW when he had zero business playing. Joe Flacco looked like dog sh*t under Saleh and his last game under Saleh was every bit as bad as a ZW game and everyone thought he was done.

Im sure the Jets will look really good under Saleh if Rodgers plays good QB, but big F'ng deal. The Jets are not winning a SB with a 42+ year old Rodgers and at some point in time will need to select and develop a QB. Saleh has proven he has zero ability to do that.

For all the talk Jets fans spew about QB or bust, you would think they would have some clue on what it means to identify and develop a QB, other than "its just luck bruh"

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Good HC's put in place a plan and structure to get a good QB. Give any HC an elite QB who is already elite and sure they will be successful. 

But that situation is very rare. 

Sean Peyton walked into Denver and had a washed up Russel Wilson as his QB. He now has Bo Nix who looks like a stud young QB. 

That does not happen by luck, Sean Peyton knows what he is looking for, and knows how to develop a QB. 

Saleh brought in a guy who pounded the table for ZW, and then played ZW when he had zero business playing. Joe Flacco looked like dog sh*t under Saleh and his last game under Saleh was every bit as bad as a ZW game and everyone thought he was done.

Im sure the Jets will look really good under Saleh if Rodgers plays good QB, but big F'ng deal. The Jets are not winning a SB with a 42+ year old Rodgers and at some point in time will need to select and develop a QB. Saleh has proven he has zero ability to do that.

For all the talk Jets fans spew about QB or bust, you would think they would have some clue on what it means to identify and develop a QB, other than "its just luck bruh"

Hard to find anything to dispute here... and Lord I did try.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Hard to find anything to dispute here... and Lord I did try.

this is the sole reason all of the focus on ZW, and not the regime who identified ZW, did not develop him, and played him when he shouldn't be playing, made zero sense to me whatsoever.

ZW was a symptom, not the problem. 

Getting rid of symtoms without fixing the problem will never work. 

Rodgers is a band-aid, yet to see how good of a band-aid and if its even water proof.

The real problem is the regime is imcompetet at the single most important part of the game, identifying and developing a QB

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

this is the sole reason all of the focus on ZW, and not the regime who identified ZW, did not develop him, and played him when he shouldn't be playing, made zero sense to me whatsoever.

Rodgers is a band-aid, yet to see how good of a band-aid and if its even water proof.

The real problem is the regime is imcompetet at the single most important part of the game, identifying and developing a QB

Agreeing with you and @Joe W. Namatha lot today

season 2 jedi GIF by Star Wars

7 hours ago, jgb said:

What do you think makes them popular? They wear the hottest kicks and date the homecoming queen?

Think about it this way. You have two hypothetical players. The only thing you know about them is one has made the pro bowl and one has not. Which are you betting is a better player?

Something doesn’t have to have a correlation coefficient of 1.0 to be considered.

Being the first round pick helps with name recognition. Being very good right tackle for a couple of years with Brady as the quarterback does as well. Was he the fourth best tackle in the NFC last year? Maybe. Does the fact that he made the Pro Bowl mean that? No

8 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Being the first round pick helps with name recognition. Being very good right tackle for a couple of years with Brady as the quarterback does as well. Was he the fourth best tackle in the NFC last year? Maybe. Does the fact that he made the Pro Bowl mean that? No

You have proven the indisputable that the correlation coefficient between the pro bowl and player quality is not 1.0. However, it remains a mighty fine proxy, as evidenced by the fact many player contracts include it as an incentive for higher pay. 

40 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

damn, I don't like this jiu jitsu maneuver, I generally don't like you agreeing with me, and if you are agreeing with him too, now I am questioning myself

It’s a mutual existential crisis, brother 

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

1 hour ago, jgb said:

You have proven the indisputable that the correlation coefficient between the pro bowl and player quality is not 1.0. However, it remains a mighty fine proxy, as evidenced by the fact many player contracts include it as an incentive for higher pay. 

It's a factor among many when evaluating players.

I don't have particularly strong views on how Wirfs played at LT (don't know enough and don't particularly care). But he in particular is a case where "made the pro bowl at LT" isn't a useful datapoint, because he had a pro bowl run at RT (based on legitimately very good RT play) and name recognition coming out of it, which makes it a bad proxy for "how good was he at LT". 

18 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

It's a factor among many when evaluating players.

I don't have particularly strong views on how Wirfs played at LT (don't know enough and don't particularly care). But he in particular is a case where "made the pro bowl at LT" isn't a useful datapoint, because he had a pro bowl run at RT (based on legitimately very good RT play) and name recognition coming out of it, which makes it a bad proxy for "how good was he at LT". 

Pro Bowl versus guys that Doggin94it from JN likes... yeah, I'm leaning heavily toward Pro Bowl.

6 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

JD doesn’t understand the qb position.  He can evaluate the defensive positions well.  He can evaluate running back and he hit on GW but he also wasted a high draft pick on Moore.

yes he traded for Rodgers but that was an obvious move.  It’s like saying “hey, wanna trade for Michael Jordan?”

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

JD doesn’t understand the qb position.  He can evaluate the defensive positions well.  He can evaluate running back and he hit on GW but he also wasted a high draft pick on Moore.

yes he traded for Rodgers but that was an obvious move.  It’s like saying “hey, wanna trade for Michael Jordan?”

I can count on one hand the number of franchises who have unlocked the code to identifying which college QBs will be good in the pros... if that hand had 1 finger.

7 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

JD didn’t just whiff on Zach 

No dispute here but even the greats miss. I haven't been interested/motivated to do a regression analysis of JD's draft performance versus the mean, but honestly he doesn't seem to whiff more than the average NFL GM.

19 hours ago, jgb said:

I would like to see what Saleh can do with a QB who is considered one of the best of the era.   If he doesn't make the playoffs will he every be an NFL HC in the future?   There are plenty of SB winners that didn't have a first ballot HOF QB.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, jgb said:

Full year of competent QB play? Here? On the Jets? Before flying cars? You’re a madman! 

• Haha 1