Looking for some tips! - Coming over from the UK for the Broncos Game on the 29th

Hi,

Myself and my wife are spending part of our honeymoon in New York and have bought tickets to see the Jets play the Broncos on the 29th of September. We have heard about American sports and the tailgating element before the game. We would just like some tips on what time to turn up and what to bring with us. Do fans sell drinks and food outside or is it more kind of cook and drink what you bring? Any help would be appreciated as well as any other pointers for game day! 

Up the Jets!

Thanks in advance.

Steve

First, congrats on your nuptials. 

Second, good choice on NYC in September, should be nice weather.

Third, I would try and get into a tailgate with one of the regulars so you have a home base. Bring something, it will be appreciated.

Get there early, it’s fun.

If you are starting in the city, the train to the stadium is fun - masses of green clad fans headed in the same direction.

Enjoy!

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

Look up Tailgate Joe.  I've never been, but it looks awesome.

https://www.tailgatejoe.com/product/9-29-2024-jets-tailgate-party-broncos-at-new-york-jets/

Also, get a pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich on a kaiser roll while you're here.

Tailgate Joe is great! Myself (Jets Talk 24/7), Matt O'Leary, & GreenBean will be going to the Bronco game with a large contingent of viewers. We will be having our tailgate through Tailgate Joe so if you do end up over there you should definitely say hi!

We are also going on the field following the game, we may be able to sneak you on with us lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Tailgate Joe is great! Myself (Jets Talk 24/7), Matt O'Leary, & GreenBean will be going to the Bronco game with a large contingent of viewers. We will be having our tailgate through Tailgate Joe so if you do end up over there you should definitely say hi!

We are also going on the field following the game, we may be able to sneak you on with us lol

And Mrs Gibby and I will be among the contingent. Can’t wait to meet you three, I’ve been watching you guys for a few years. Are we freezing Greenbean’s head in the tailgate?🤣

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Gibby said:

And Mrs Gibby and I will be among the contingent. Can’t wait to meet you three, I’ve been watching you guys for a few years. Are we freezing Greenbean’s head in the tailgate?🤣

And fwitw- I was with Bean on this one. JFM is a jag!!! 🤣

On 8/20/2024 at 1:58 PM, Trotter said:

I will try and be the adult in the room

Congrats on getting married.

Fans don't really sell from their tailgates .

There are some organized tailgates that you can join - Tailgate Joe comes to mind if he is still doing one. I'm sure there are others that folks on here could recommend.

How are you getting to the stadium? Train from NYC? Uber?

Weather permitting, that day will be very crowded as Broncos fans travel well and hopefully with a winning record Jets fans turn out.

Gates open at 11am and if you decide not to tailgate there are many options inside the stadium.

Most important no hanky panky the night before - you need to be at optimal strength to root the Jets on..

We are staying in Times Square so we are thinking about getting the train over. Tailgate Joes looks like a good option and was also mentioned by one or two others here.

Ill be sure to put the Mrs on a strict ban the night before 😂 shouldn't be too much of a task

Thanks for your help!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2024 at 2:06 PM, OilfieldJet said:

First, congrats on your nuptials. 

Second, good choice on NYC in September, should be nice weather.

Third, I would try and get into a tailgate with one of the regulars so you have a home base. Bring something, it will be appreciated.

Get there early, it’s fun.

If you are starting in the city, the train to the stadium is fun - masses of green clad fans headed in the same direction.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. Train and Tailgate Joes looks like the winner :)

On 8/20/2024 at 2:57 PM, bla bla bla said:

Seems like this is the go to option from the replies! First game for myself also with the majority of my NFL experience coming from Madden 😂 Will brush up on the Jets talk podcasts beforehand and hopefully we can crack a cold one! 

Thanks for your help 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, TwoforTuesdays said:

We are staying in Times Square so we are thinking about getting the train over. Tailgate Joes looks like a good option and was also mentioned by one or two others here.

Ill be sure to put the Mrs on a strict ban the night before 😂 shouldn't be too much of a task

Thanks for your help!

Enjoy.

are you sitting on the jets or visitors side?

asking because sept can be hot and the jets side is full sun

if you are on the jets side sunscreen, hat etc

• Upvote 2

My one golden tip.

If it's a windy day, sit directly downwind from Crusher.  He is a fabulous wind-block.  I speak from experience.  Of course if he has been hitting the sausage and onion hoagies hard before the game, YMMV.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

Enjoy.

are you sitting on the jets or visitors side?

asking because sept can be hot and the jets side is full sun

if you are on the jets side sunscreen, hat etc

We are in section 338, means nothing to me in terms of side though 😅 Ill pack some essentials for the day just in case

Thanks

On 8/20/2024 at 8:58 AM, Trotter said:

Gates open at 11am and if you decide not to tailgate there are many options inside the stadium.

You do mean the gates open at 11 for a 1pm game to enter the stadium.

4 hours ago, TwoforTuesdays said:

Seems like this is the go to option from the replies! First game for myself also with the majority of my NFL experience coming from Madden 😂 Will brush up on the Jets talk podcasts beforehand and hopefully we can crack a cold one! 

Thanks for your help 

As long as you're not being drunk and disorderly, drinking on the trains is generally allowed! You can just carry along what you want to bring to the tailgate, too. NYC trains are a bit of a free-for-all. Leave yourselves extra time to navigate grand Central / Penn station / etc. and don't be afraid to ask for help, NYCers are not as unfriendly as they act.

I'd definitely recommend eating at the tailgates before entering the stadium. Food inside is expensive and the lines can be long, particularly during half time. Also note that the stadium is probably still "cashless" (thanks COVID) so be ready to use a credit/debit card. On that note, notify your bank/etc that you're traveling abroad....

Have fun! 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

As long as you're not being drunk and disorderly, drinking on the trains is generally allowed! You can just carry along what you want to bring to the tailgate, too. NYC trains are a bit of a free-for-all. Leave yourselves extra time to navigate grand Central / Penn station / etc. and don't be afraid to ask for help, NYCers are not as unfriendly as they act.

I'd definitely recommend eating at the tailgates before entering the stadium. Food inside is expensive and the lines can be long, particularly during half time. Also note that the stadium is probably still "cashless" (thanks COVID) so be ready to use a credit/debit card. On that note, notify your bank/etc that you're traveling abroad....

Have fun! 

Thank you for the advice! 😀

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TwoforTuesdays said:

We are in section 338, means nothing to me in terms of side though 😅 Ill pack some essentials for the day just in case

Thanks

Your good - sun is behind you

@Jet Nut makes a good point

i mentioned 11am since that us the time you can get into the stadium

parking lots open at 8 am

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Agreed, isn't usually at least 3 hours before game time? I feel like it was 9am gates for a 1pm game last time I went...

Used to drive in at 8am to set up and start breakfast. 
Potato and eggs hero’s 

• Sympathy 1

On 8/20/2024 at 11:40 AM, Gibby said:

Lol Bean was getting heated. I love the old Freeze Bean. Can't wait to meet you guys!!

16 hours ago, TwoforTuesdays said:

Thanks for your help 

Any time! Look forward to meeting you!!