Week 1: Jets @ 49ers

If it's true that the most important factor of a winning football team is the QB and the second most important factor is a stout defense ... If the pieces play to their potential .... The only way the Jets lose this game is poor coaching. The 49ers could potentially out coach the Jets by a mile resulting in an L.

Put up or shut up time

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

If it's true that the most important factor of a winning football team is the QB and the second most important factor is a stout defense ... If the pieces play to their potential .... The only way the Jets lose this game is poor coaching. The 49ers could potentially out coach the Jets by a mile resulting in an L.

Put up or shut up time

The Niners have a better roster than the Jets and the game is in SF. You honestly believe the only way the niners can win is by outcoaching the Jets by a mile?

Total nonsense.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Niners have a better roster than the Jets and the game is in SF. You honestly believe the only way the niners can win is by outcoaching the Jets by a mile?

Total nonsense.

Feels like people are setting themselves up for major disappointment with this game. There's a reason we are underdogs. 

I'm hoping we have a shot to steal it in the 4th. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Total nonsense.

I think any difference in rosters is small.

WR2 and TE leans SF although if Mike Williams is healthy, it's very close on WR2.

RB1 I would call a toss-up.

QB I would tip to the Jets.

So offensively, maybe a small edge to SF.

Defensively? I think a small edge to the Jets.  

Honestly, these are two of the top-5, maybe top-3 rosters in the league.  If Aiyuk, Deebo and McCaffrey all go off, we will give up some points.  But I think a healthy, protected Rodgers is going to respond in turn.  So as I've said elsewhere...a coin flip game to me.

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think any difference in rosters is small.

WR2 and TE leans SF although if Mike Williams is healthy, it's very close on WR2.

RB1 I would call a toss-up.

QB I would tip to the Jets.

So offensively, maybe a small edge to SF.

Defensively? I think a small edge to the Jets.  

Honestly, these are two of the top-5, maybe top-3 rosters in the league.  If Aiyuk, Deebo and McCaffrey all go off, we will give up some points.  But I think a healthy, protected Rodgers is going to respond in turn.  So as I've said elsewhere...a coin flip game to me.

We don't disagree by much but even if I accepted your take as 100% correct the idea that the only way SF wins is by outcoaching the Jets by a mile is absurd.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Feels like people are setting themselves up for major disappointment with this game. There's a reason we are underdogs. 

I'm hoping we have a shot to steal it in the 4th. 

i thought the Jets could pull this one out in a close game. reasoning is #8. Some on here weren't even born the last time we had that caliber of QB under center.

Lost a step maybe, rusty from the achilles - sure but if they have the ball and need to get within FG range, Rodgers can manipulate a defense and get guys open to get in range. Now factor in Zurelin and I really do think they have a decent chance

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Total nonsense.

Many teams had a better roster than the chiefs last year.  How did that work out?

Who has the better qb?  Thats what matters.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Trotter said:

i thought the Jets could pull this one out in a close game. reasoning is #8. Some on here weren't even born the last time we had that caliber of QB under center.

Lost a step maybe, rusty from the achilles - sure but if they have the ball and need to get within FG range, Rodgers can manipulate a defense and get guys open to get in range. Now factor in Zurelin and I really do think they have a decent chance

I don't disagree, although we still need to see Aaron take a hit and deal with an NFL pass rush again in a real game. 

If it's a close game in the 4th, we absolutely have a real shot to steal it. 

But I could also see SF bullying us and getting a lead early. We have to stop their running game and screen game, which are both capable of blowing the game open. 

And the niners still have game-wreckers on defense that can ruin us. 

The niners are loaded. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I don't disagree, although we still need to see Aaron take a hit and deal with an NFL pass rush again in a real game. 

If it's a close game in the 4th, we absolutely have a real shot to steal it. 

But I could also see SF bullying us and getting a lead early. We have to stop their running game and screen game, which are both capable of blowing the game open. 

And the niners still have game-wreckers on defense that can ruin us. 

The niners are loaded. 

Very fair and no disagreement with your points as well.

Let's hope it is close and #8 has the ball - 

• Upvote 1

Total nonsense.
Rosters are comparable don't you think ?

• Upvote 1

Jets HC Robert Saleh said Mike Williams will be on a snap count to open the season.

With their eyes fixed on the entirety of the season, the Jets don’t plan to give Williams a full complement of snaps to begin the year. Williams is returning from a season-end knee injury that he suffered in Week 3 of last season and only recently began practicing. Fantasy managers who are considering using him as a third or fourth fantasy option in Week 1 against the 49ers should do so with caution, as it’s possible Williams provides minimal production in his first game back.

Biggest unit advantage I see is Jets d-line over 9ers o-line 

Biggest individual advantage I see is Kittle vs the Jets LBs.  curious to see how often Shanahan tries to get Kittle on CJ and if the Jets respond by trying to get Sherwood on Kittle 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

Biggest unit advantage I see is Jets d-line over 9ers o-line 

Biggest individual advantage I see is Kittle vs the Jets LBs.  curious to see how often Shanahan tries to get Kittle on CJ and if the Jets respond by trying to get Sherwood on Kittle 

So an old tight end whos clearly falling off is huge advantage over a top3 linebacking unit in the league?

if you think the rosters are comparable how do you get to the conclusion that one team, the home team, has to outcoach the other by a mile to win?
Reading comprehension helps ... I said if the players play to their expected potential... Coaching would be the difference. I think the 49ers have a better coaching staff. I am hoping Saleh proves me wrong.

Just now, Dunnie said:

Reading comprehension helps ... I said if the players play to their expected potential... Coaching would be the difference. I think the 49ers have a better coaching staff.

Kneejerk reaction is yes.  But actually, on second thought, I think they have better coaching on the offensive side of the ball.  That is probably somewhat offset by us having Rodgers who is basically going to audible the crap out of the game and who I trust as much as any QB in the league to do that.

On the defensive side of the ball, I think our guys are as good as anyone. 

HC I would certainly tip to SF but that has limited applications on game day (timeouts, challenges, etc.) 

The difference may not be that great overall.

• Sympathy 1