****The official Jets VS 49ers Game thread****®️©️™️

BP

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The defense was super bad. The offense, outside of one drive, did not help them

Well, they had 3 TD drives, 2 of them in non-garbage time, so I’m struggling with your math. 

But I do agree that the entire team laid an egg 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Three canary in the coal mines things we saw yesterday:

1. Saleh and Hackett just brutally unprepared for a compromised team they both should have had a lot of familiarity with. 

2. If the Jets, with their new OL and Breece Hall, can’t get any movement in the run game, and the DL can’t stand their ground against an obese Trent Williams and four anonymous dudes on the Niners OL, the team may well be ****ed. 

3. Rodgers looked like he was wearing concrete boots. No explosiveness, especially moving forward in the pocket. 

The offense hasn't played together in a long time in a real game. 3 new starters on the Oline and one missed basically the entire season. A QB that hasn't played in a real game in 20 months. All this playing against a team that went to the SB playing at home. Were you expecting 30 points last night? This offense will certainly be better as the season moves along. 

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Three canary in the coal mines things we saw yesterday:

1. Saleh and Hackett just brutally unprepared for a compromised team they both should have had a lot of familiarity with. 

2. If the Jets, with their new OL and Breece Hall, can’t get any movement in the run game, and the DL can’t stand their ground against an obese Trent Williams and four anonymous dudes on the Niners OL, the team may well be ****ed. 

3. Rodgers looked like he was wearing concrete boots. No explosiveness, especially moving forward in the pocket. 

#3 isn't going to change. He's 40 and off an Achilles tear. He's a pure pocket passer now.

#1 It tends to be a running theme. Saleh just isn't a brilliant tactician. He's a motivator. Sometimes that's enough... but not against the class of the league.

#2 This is the one that we are all hanging our hopes on, that it can improve with greater time playing together, because I don't see #3 and #1 changing much.

• Upvote 3

Just now, RevisIsland610 said:

The offense hasn't played together in a long time in a real game. 3 new starters on the Oline and one missed basically the entire season. A QB that hasn't played in a real game in 20 months. All this playing against a team that went to the SB playing at home. Were you expecting 30 points last night? This offense will certainly be better as the season moves along. 

You know what other offense didn’t practice together all summer? The San Francisco 49ers. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Rodgers has not thrown for over 300 yards in 24 games and counting.

Whipping boy jag Derrick Carr has thrown for over 300 yards 7 times in his last 24 games.

Yeah but he has weapseapoionz

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ok so I was going to respond to this earlier, but I was at work and didn’t want to rush it because it’d come off like I’m sassing you directly when it’s more my intent to sass Jets Fans in general today. You know you’re my boy, but…

Why are Jets fans today talking about Rodgers like he’s Sam Darnold all of a sudden and we need to grade him on some Sam Darnold-ass curve? What’s the point of having First Ballot Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers on the roster if he and the offense are going to come unglued if/when there's a dropped pass or a penalty on a given drive? We have an elite WR and and elite RB and a rebuilt OL filled with capable veteran players and that’s the end result? 13 points where one of the TDs was a gifted free play where the defense effectively pulled up? Zach Wilson could accomplish that much. I do not get the fanbase-wide apologia for what Rodgers and the Jets put up yesterday. They were non-competitive in every aspect of the sport, and the QB was sulking from the opening tip. Stop shaking your head and lead the ******* team, Rodgers. Good God. If you came out of prison after a two-year stretch and I told you that the QB of the Jets went out against the Niners, got blown out, and in the process completed 61% of his passes for a feeble 160 yards, one TD and one INT, you would guess that the QB was still Zach Wilson or a Zach Wilson-level starter. He didn’t lead. He didn’t sustain drives. He sulked when adversity hit. And he was part and parcel of one of the most lopsided dismantlings of  Jets team that we’ve probably ever seen. I understand the impulse to reframe it as an aberration or a being not as bad as it looked, but no. It was that bad. 

Because Rodgers has a 200+ game sample size of being in the mt Rushmore of QBs so he gets the benefit of the doubt for things like dropped balls, fumbles, and toes out of bounds killing drives while only being on the field for 21 mins (lowest of his career).

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know what other offense didn’t practice together all summer? The San Francisco 49ers. 

To defend Saleh a bit here, this is what you have to expect with a HC on the hot seat and no contract security. Saleh would rather risk starting the season flat than losing a key playmaker in the pre-season and getting excoriated by hindsight fandom or commentary boo birds.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Whipping boy jag Derrick Carr has thrown for over 300 yards 7 times in his last 24 games.

Fun stat.  

Only 1 qb threw for 300 week 1.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The league averaged 185 yard passing yesterday

He played the 2022 season with a broken thumb and Lazard as his #1 option. 

you only need to average 237 yards per game to throw for our franchise record 

3 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Because Rodgers has a 200+ game sample size of being in the mt Rushmore of QBs so he gets the benefit of the doubt for things like dropped balls, fumbles, and toes out of bounds killing drives while only being on the field for 21 mins (lowest of his career).

Did you watch any of Rodgers his last year in Green Bay? It looked a lot like last night. Some awesome throws, but also a lot of glaring at receivers and a bunch of demoralized teammates who looked like dogsh*t. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

The league averaged 185 yard passing yesterday

He played the 2022 season with a broken thumb and Lazard as his #1 option. 

you only need to average 237 yards per game to throw for our franchise record 

So he threw for below league average and our franchise history sucks.

So glad we shaped this team around him.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

One of the TDs, as you know, was a flukey free play

Why was it “flukey?”

The defense was offsides and Rodgers knew he could take safely throw a vertical and did. He’s done that his entire career and it happened to be a great throw.  

I’m not sure why that suddenly wouldn’t count as “helping” the Jets cause. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Did you watch any of Rodgers his last year in Green Bay? It looked a lot like last night. Some awesome throws, but also a lot of glaring at receivers and a bunch of demoralized teammates who looked like dogsh*t. 

He played with a broken thumb on his throwing hand and Lazard as his #1 option and still was one game away from the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rodgers reminds me of some perfectionist bosses I've worked for in the past. They were technically extremely good at what they did, but they had zero tolerance for anything less than exactly what they want. Delivering 90% of what they want rather than 100%, gets you doghoused. They never last long because they are forced to take on way too much themselves and they alienate their teams.

6 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Why would he get the benefit of the doubt for that? He should be good enough to overcome that not for it to derail the night.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

Rodgers reminds me of some perfectionist bosses I've worked for in the past. They were technically extremely good at what they did, but they had zero tolerance for anything less than exactly what they want. Delivering 90% of what they want rather than 100%, gets you doghoused.

Yep, but if those bosses were super old and all the young employees knew they could just wait him out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Rodgers has always struck me as a guy more concerned with his stats and turnover ratio than winning. He would rather the team fail so he can deflect blame on everyone else than take the big risks that could make him look bad if they don't work 

And that's why he's only had 1 SB  and a whole lot of under achieving post season runs.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

He played with a broken thumb on his throwing hand and Lazard as his #1 option and still was one game away from the playoffs. 

A man is a river. It's not the same body of water as it was 2 years ago.

I still have hope because he's one of the best ever and if anyone can beat the odds and produce a top-10ish season at age 40+ it's him... but in history that's only been 2 guys: Tom Brady and Warren Moon. Brett Favre if you count his first season with the Vikes when he turned 40 in October.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Why would he get the benefit of the doubt for that? He should be good enough to overcome that not for it to derail the night.

Because those things are out of his control and they killed the few drives they had because the defense could not get off the field. 

Just now, jgb said:

A man is a river. It's not the same body of water as it was 2 years ago.

I still have hope because he's one of the best ever and if anyone can beat the odds and produce a top-16 season at age 40+ it's him... but in history that's only been 2 guys: Tom Brady and Warren Moon. Brett Favre if you count his first season with the Vikes when he turned 40 in October.

He could be in better shape than two years ago for all we know. The fact of the matter is that he had a broken thumb on his throwing hand which to dismiss for a QB is absurd 

1 minute ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

That’s what’s so crazy about the narrative today— we’re making excuses for Rodgers now? He’s a Hall of Famer! The refs looked like they had money on the Jets with the calls they were making on a few Niners drives! Aiyuk literally dropped a TD!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

You can throw for 5,000 yards without throwing for 300 yards. How many games with like 250 yards passing does he have? 300 is an arbitrary number 

That's what we would call doing it the hard way.

6 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The last time aaron rodgers threw for 300 yards Dan Campbell hadn't won a game with Detroit yet 

Just because Zach Wilson, Mike White, and Joe Flacco have each done it more recently with the Jets than that, now you want to suddenly pretend like this is achievable for a player?

• Haha 2