Does Reddick get a call from JD today?

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

I’d love to have Reddick on the team, but something tells me it’s going to drag on indefinitely.

You well could be right. This feels like a squabble between an old married couple at this point, more emotional than rational.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

everyone says Reddick isn't helping meanwhile Purdy got 3 plus seconds to throw 

and fwiw he's not bad against the run. He's like a Johnny Abe. Better than Clemons that's for sure 

Mahomes wouldn’t have changed the outcome Monday night the way the Jets were getting blown off the ball on both sides of the field.

• Haha 1

Just now, jgb said:

You well could be right. This feels like a squabble between an old married couple at this point, more emotional than rational.

I agree. JD should have known prior to making this trade that there would be an issue with his contract. On the other hand Reddick’s holdout at this point amounts to biting off his nose to spite his face. Unfortunately both sides are dug in and I don’t think it will be settled soon. I hope I’m wrong.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I agree. JD should have known prior to making this trade that there would be an issue with his contract. On the other hand Reddick’s holdout at this point amounts to biting off his nose to spite his face. Unfortunately both sides are dug in and I don’t think it will be settled soon. I hope I’m wrong.

JD sticking to his “I won’t even talk to your agents until the player is physically in the building” was a poor condition to impose and then the error was compounded by publicly announcing it. One of the key tenets of negotiation is if something is important to the other side, make them pay to get it, even if you don’t care either way.

Also, teams and agents discuss this stuff all the time without requiring the player to come bend the knee in person — JD claims to be worried about setting a precedent when actually he’s breaking one himself.

Finally, this should’ve been managed via a one year bandaid extension as a condition of the trade going through. If Reddick played hardball, all the better, because then you can simply walk away.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Nate Hackett is the worst coordinator in the league and he might be the worst coach in the league overall except for Keith Carter 

The NFL’s 2024 version of Kacey Rogers 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Joejet said:

Just out of curiosity, are the people advocating for Douglas to swallow his pride,  saying that he should sign the soon to be 30 Reddick for a 3 year 22 plus million dollar contract? He supposedly turned down 3@22 from the Eagles so I assume he wants more.

$7.3 mil per year is a great deal for him.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

$7.3 mil per year is a great deal for him.

Reddick turned down $22mm/year.  

If JD offered Reddick $22mm for THIS YEAR ONLY, I would think that puts him slightly ahead of where he would have been.  I don't know who gets the pre season fine money.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Reddick turned down $22mm/year.  

If JD offered Reddick $22mm for THIS YEAR ONLY, I would think that puts him slightly ahead of where he would have been.  I don't know who gets the pre season fine money.  

This is exactly what should have been done as a condition of the trade. There was never intent for a long term deal. It was a way to get on a stacked defense trying to make a Super Bowl run where he could showcase his skills while helping the Jets so he could cash in next year. It was a win win for both team and player. I have no ideas how this was botched so badly.

If Reddick refused to do the 1 year band aid deal JD should have either:

A. Don’t make the trade

or

B. Do what JD is doing now with a bizarre situation that has a small chance of working out great by getting him at the end of the year while making a playoff run. 

Regardless, Reddick should have been considered a 1 year luxury and NOT have been reied on. The defense may have 2 huge unfilled holes with JFM and Huff being gone and option B(probably what we are seeing right now), leaves the defense much weaker until Reddick reports, if he even does at all. Way too much risk involved in this situation. 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is exactly what should have been done as a condition of the trade. There was never intent for a long term deal. It was a way to get on a stacked defense trying to make a Super Bowl run where he could showcase his skills while helping the Jets so he could cash in next year. It was a win win for both team and player. I have no ideas how this was botched so badly.

If Reddick refused to do the 1 year band aid deal JD should have either:

A. Don’t make the trade

or

B. Do what JD is doing now with a bizarre situation that has a small chance of working out great by getting him at the end of the year while making a playoff run. 

Regardless, Reddick should have been considered a 1 year luxury and NOT have been reied on. The defense may have 2 huge unfilled holes with JFM and Huff being gone and option B(probably what we are seeing right now), leaves the defense much weaker until Reddick reports, if he even does at all. Way too much risk involved in this situation. 

And now that $14 M or whatever is held hostage and can’t be used elsewhere. But Reddick has “like, literally no leverage.”

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, jgb said:

And now that $14 M or whatever is held hostage and can’t be used elsewhere. But Reddick has “like, literally no leverage.”

by the time he reports it will be like 6mm left.   they can do whatever they need to do like bring someone else in.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

by the time he reports it will be like 6mm left.   they can do whatever they need to do like bring someone else in.

Would’ve been better to be able to do that during the off season 

16 hours ago, jgb said:

One good answer is better than numerous rubbish ones.

Fact is, JD got worked by a superior GM, his former boss Howie. JD bought a lemon with no warranty and the radiator blew up before he even drove it off the lot.

Agreed, in his defense tho most GM’s get worked by Howie. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

JD knew that from the get, but still made the trade. Why?

@Tomshane mentioned there was a long term deal in place but ofcourse Woody vetoed it.  Apparently Woody doesn’t want anymore long term deals to veteran players because there may be yet another regime change next January 

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

JD knew that from the get, but still made the trade. Why?

Who knows. It was a 2026 3rd round pick. Maybe they had a loose agreement and things fell through. We hold his rights so if no agreement can be reached we can trade him for similar value anyway. Maybe he is trade capital for a Davante Adams trade. Low risk high reward move. 

11 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

@Tomshane mentioned there was a long term deal in place but ofcourse Woody vetoed it.  Apparently Woody doesn’t want anymore long term deals to veteran players because there may be yet another regime change next January 

@T0mShane also posted a receipt the other day which, if you looked closely showed he orders his Chinese food from Panda Express. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets can survive the absence of Reddick much better if WMcD plays like the first round draft pick he was.

It does not look like that will be the case.  

Jason Taylor supposedly played DE at 6'6" 244 lbs, and he's in the HOF

Maybe McD just sucks

He could always try jumping over the RT the way he jumped over cars.  Maybe that would work better than his spin move 😅

• Upvote 1

On a positive note, the Jets were not beating the 49ers with Reddick.  So Woody saved $900K to have Reddick stay home.  

But in their schedule against much of the NFL's Great Middle, a player like Reddick can make a difference, particularly when Saleh/Ulbrich switch into that prevent defense we all love if and when Rodgers gets us a lead.  We can use Reddick, without Huff and JFM, rushing the passer and disrupting the offense. 

Before long, there will be a game where we say "we would have won with Reddick."

On 9/10/2024 at 2:39 PM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Lost in all this is the fact the Eagles chose to move on.

If they thought Reddick still had the goods, they wouldn't have paid Huff all that money.

They would have just used the money they gave Huff to keep Reddick.

Reddick isn't ancient for a pass rusher but anytime a player reaches age 30, there's increased risk of decline.

Hmmm I agree with you…

You would think 🤔 that JD would have this insider info as well….

This is some dumbness at its height!!

No NFL team in the last 30 years have been in the same situation as the Jets, where they trade for a guy who said all along he wanted $$$$, have him hold out and the team refuses to even pick up the phone cause they say their policy is not to make “exceptions” for one player when they literally did just that for QB Rogers!!

Oh and the excuse that folks keep saying that Reddick changed on the Jets is undercut when we hear credible reposts that other teams looked into Reddick and backed off when they heard his contract demands. 

Or are we to believe that Reddick was magically going to give the Jets a discount because he wanted to go to a team that hasn’t been to the playoffs in over a decade and to whiich he has no ties  

I don’t hate JD  i like him this roster it was a disaster before and now it is a quality one on paper, but even the best can be wrong at times and this is just one of those times IMO…

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is some dumbness at its height!!

No NFL team in the last 30 years have been in the same situation as the Jets, where they trade for a guy who said all along he wanted $$$$, have him hold out and the team refuses to even pick up the phone cause they say their policy is not to make “exceptions” for one player when they literally did just that for QB Rogers!!

Oh and the excuse that folks keep saying that Reddick changed on the Jets is undercut when we hear credible reposts that other teams looked into Reddick and backed off when they heard his contract demands. 

Or are we to believe that Reddick was magically going to give the Jets a discount because he wanted to go to a team that has been to the playoffs in over a decade and to whiich he has no ties  

I don’t hate JD  i like him this roster it was a disaster before and now it is a quality one on paper, but even the best can be wrong at times and this is just one of those times IMO…

Honestly continuing to debate the defenders of this fiasco is akin to arguing with the wino behind the 7-11 who swears the sky is orange. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Who knows. It was a 2026 3rd round pick. Maybe they had a loose agreement and things fell through. We hold his rights so if no agreement can be reached we can trade him for similar value anyway. Maybe he is trade capital for a Davante Adams trade. Low risk high reward move. 

It isn’t just the draft capital, it’s the opportunity cost. Now we have $14 M tied up doing nothing that we could’ve used to retain one of the pass rushers we let go or bring in somebody else. Reminder: this is an all-in year.

• Upvote 2