Will Aaron Rodgers Throw For Over 300 Sunday?

Will Aaron Rodgers Throw For Over 300 Sunday?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Will Aaron Rodgers Throw For Over 300 Sunday?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/15/2024 at 05:05 PM

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

4-0 or it’s a disappointment. 

and I don’t expect 4-0. 

To be objective here, passing yardage is down all over the league because of two-high and it’s legitimately difficult to score points unless you’re able to put together 12 play drives consistently. The Jets *should* beat the living sh*t out of the Titans, but if Hall can’t get going and the game lands in Rodgers’ lap again, I’m going to have some concerns because the team isn’t really built to play that way, and I don’t think Rodgers can really win that kind of game anymore. He’s temperamentally retired. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets only had the ball for about 20 minutes. The defense was unable to get off the field, giving up (at least?) eight straight scoring drives. The offense also had two turnovers that were both fantastic plays by the 49ers’ defense rather than offensive miscues. At the end of the day, Rodgers put up a middling performance against a great team on the road in his first full game since 2022. 

I don’t care if Rodgers throws for 300 or not on Sunday (I’d prefer 200 rushing yards), I just want to see much improved play from the defense, and more creativity and productivity from the offense. I see more players involved offensively. Wilson and Breece are obviously the bread and butter, but you have to have more than Lazard working for you beyond that. 

I don't care how many yards he throws for either and sure would love them to run for 200 yards a week.  and I agree with a lot of what you're saying.  The offense needs to open up more.  Rodgers seemed to be playing scared and either his inability or unwillingness to push the ball downfield, extend plays or open the offense are all still big question marks.

The QB is responsible for scoring points.   If you guys want to tell me what we got Monday night from Rodgers was good and what we should expect from him here on out (I'm not just talking about yards) - I'll tell you that's not going to be good enough to be a legitimate playoff contender.

Rodgers has to be substantively better than what we saw.  I'm not saying he's not capable of it, just that what we got Monday wasn't remotely good enough.

23 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets only had the ball for about 20 minutes. The defense was unable to get off the field, giving up (at least?) eight straight scoring drives. The offense also had two turnovers that were both fantastic plays by the 49ers’ defense rather than offensive miscues. At the end of the day, Rodgers put up a middling performance against a great team on the road in his first full game since 2022. 

I don’t care if Rodgers throws for 300 or not on Sunday (I’d prefer 200 rushing yards), I just want to see much improved play from the defense, and more creativity and productivity from the offense. Really want to see more players involved offensively. Wilson and Breece are obviously the bread and butter, but you have to have more than Lazard working for you beyond that. 

IMO what bothered me most on Monday was what the performance said about the coaching of this team. We all presumed that better QB play would tie the room together, but we got humiliated schematically. Shanahan targeted our edge group and CBs in run support and Saleh/Ulbrich had zero in the way of a counter for it. It was almost exasperating to see the overhead and All-22 shots of the Niners OL moving our DL out of the way like IKEA furniture. This season was always going to be a final exam for this staff and they’ve started out with a zero point zero. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

IMO what bothered me most on Monday was what the performance said about the coaching of this team. We all presumed that better QB play would tie the room together, but we got humiliated schematically. Shanahan targeted our edge group and CBs in run support and Saleh/Ulbrich had zero in the way of a counter for it. It was almost exasperating to see the overhead and All-22 shots of the Niners OL moving our DL out of the way like IKEA furniture. This season was always going to be a final exam for this staff and they’ve started out with a zero point zero. 

We all know how this ends, the jets lose too many games they should win, don’t make the playoffs and they all go.  A better coach here wins more games than these guys.  The frustrating thing this time around is that there appears to be way more talent than in prior regimes (not that that’s hard to accomplish).  You’d think a guy like harbaugh could come in and scheme better.  But i feel like we’re all in for disappointments ahead.  I look at the schedule and think they could come out at least 3-3 if not better.  But you watch the bills completely attack the dolphins and see how real coaches prepare for opponents.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't care how many yards he throws for either and sure would love them to run for 200 yards a week.  and I agree with a lot of what you're saying.  The offense needs to open up more.  Rodgers seemed to be playing scared and either his inability or unwillingness to push the ball downfield, extend plays or open the offense are all still big question marks.

The QB is responsible for scoring points.   If you guys want to tell me what we got Monday night from Rodgers was good and what we should expect from him here on out (I'm not just talking about yards) - I'll tell you that's not going to be good enough to be a legitimate playoff contender.

Rodgers has to be substantively better than what we saw.  I'm not saying he's not capable of it, just that what we got Monday wasn't remotely good enough.

I don’t think Rodgers is capable of “extending plays” anymore. He’s old and his leg is a chicken stick. I’ve been banging on all summer about disliking camp reports saying “he rolled out and…” and “he scrambled left and…” because that sh*t wasn’t going to work in regular season play. For him to work, he has to play like Brady—from the pocket, get the ball out, maintain drives—but that’s never been his game. 

• Upvote 1

The Titans will be an interesting test.  They are not good.  They mananged to spit up a 17-0 lead to the Bears, who also are not good.  OTOH, they only gave up 24 points and 14 of them were on a blocked punt and an INT return.  Swift and Montgomery couldn't run and Caleb Williams didn't crack 100 yards.  How much of that was the Titans D and how much the Bears ineptitiude?

I don't think Pollard or Levis should really scare us, but they do have Frank Bush and BIll Callahan on staff.  Their DC is Dennard Wilson who might have some sour grapes.  He was our DB coach for a time under Bowles and Gase retained him.  They let him go when Saleh came on board.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think Rodgers is capable of “extending plays” anymore. He’s old and his leg is a chicken stick. I’ve been banging on all summer about disliking camp reports saying “he rolled out and…” and “he scrambled left and…” because that sh*t wasn’t going to work in regular season play. For him to work, he has to play like Brady—from the pocket, get the ball out, maintain drives—but that’s never been his game. 

This does seem to be what we got last week.  He stayed in the pocket, surely made a handful of very nice throws but if he has to sit in the pocket, get the ball out fast guy and not rely on his legs you're losing a LOT of what made him special.  

I think there are people here that believe this team is so good that we only need a game manager to compete for a Super Bowl.   Unfortunately I think it will require Rodgers to still be "special" if we're really going to make a run.  

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sorry to get philosophical, but how can you be disappointed by a result that does not fall short of your expectations?

Disappointment may be the wrong word  

what I really mean is: 4-0 is what I think we need in order to have the season we are hoping for 

but I don’t expect it and don’t have a great feeling about the next game, in particular 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

To be objective here, passing yardage is down all over the league because of two-high and it’s legitimately difficult to score points unless you’re able to put together 12 play drives consistently. The Jets *should* beat the living sh*t out of the Titans, but if Hall can’t get going and the game lands in Rodgers’ lap again, I’m going to have some concerns because the team isn’t really built to play that way, and I don’t think Rodgers can really win that kind of game anymore. He’s temperamentally retired. 

I don’t trust the coaching staff 

I worry about facing Bill callahan’s OL this week, Sean Payton in a couple of weeks, and O’Connell in London. Basically, I don’t trust Saleh to get the most out of this team or handle high expectations. I think we enter most weeks with anywhere from a small to decisive coaching disadvantage. 

I think we have 12 win talent but picked us to win 10 and that was being optimistic. 

• Post of the Week 1

40 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, fair enough 

My position on Rodgers game was the arm talent was great.  The ball exploded out, with zip and pretty accurate.  He looked slow of foot and nervous in the pocket.  Probably rust or the nervousness or a little of both.  

I hated that they were run on 1st and 2nd down and pass.  I hated the overall attack plan.  They seemed really intent on establishing the run instead of letting a normal flow open it up naturally.  It kind of played into the way the Jets were defended and did nothing to help Rodgers out.  

He’s a very talented old by NFL standards QB who hasn’t had any real action in over a year.  He did look a lot better than Cousins who’s injury happened latter in the year and didn’t look fully healthy.  

Fix the run D and let Rodgers play his game on all 3 downs.  It should get a lot better.  At least that’s the plan.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This does seem to be what we got last week.  He stayed in the pocket, surely made a handful of very nice throws but if he has to sit in the pocket, get the ball out fast guy and not rely on his legs you're losing a LOT of what made him special.  

I think there are people here that believe this team is so good that we only need a game manager to compete for a Super Bowl.   Unfortunately I think it will require Rodgers to still be "special" if we're really going to make a run.  

There is some truth to this.  How special?  How much of a run?  The Giants won a playoff game with Daniel Jones.  To be true super bowl contenders we will need something more out of him.  Looking at him Monday he sure didn't look like 2021 Aaron Rodgers.  OTOH, he also didn't look any worse than Daniel Jones, Geno Smith, or Mayfield and those teams have either won a playoff game with those QBs or think they will. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you went into the game looking for a referendum on the coaching staff, I imagine it was pretty easy to come away with one. It’s a long season. We don’t come to a lot of consensuses around here, but I think one of the very few was that the 49ers in SF was the toughest game on the schedule - back when we only knew they would be an opponent, let alone opening day on MNF. It sucked. I didn’t like it. But I also expect sloppy play and players getting gassed the first month of the season. I’m looking forward to Sunday. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Biggs said:

My position on Rodgers game was the arm talent was great.  The ball exploded out, with zip and pretty accurate.  He looked slow of foot and nervous in the pocket.  Probably rust or the nervousness or a little of both.  

I hated that they were run on 1st and 2nd down and pass.  I hated the overall attack plan.  They seemed really intent on establishing the run instead of letting a normal flow open it up naturally.  It kind of played into the way the Jets were defended and did nothing to help Rodgers out.  

He’s a very talented old by NFL standards QB who hasn’t had any real action in over a year.  He did look a lot better than Cousins who’s injury happened latter in the year and didn’t look fully healthy.  

Fix the run D and let Rodgers play his game on all 3 downs.  It should get a lot better.  At least that’s the plan.

Agree with all of this 

the bad news is that Hackett seemed to double down on his “run run pass” philosophy is this week’s presser 

1 minute ago, slats said:

If you went into the game looking for a referendum on the coaching staff, I imagine it was pretty easy to come away with one. It’s a long season. We don’t come to a lot of consensuses around here, but I think one of the very few was that the 49ers in SF was the toughest game on the schedule - back when we only knew they would be an opponent, let alone opening day on MNF. It sucked. I didn’t like it. But I also expect sloppy play and players getting gassed the first month of the season. I’m looking forward to Sunday. 

The issue I’m having is that Saleh should have had a better handle on how to deal with that running game. Shanahan seemed to be a lot better at attacking Saleh’s defense than Saleh’s defense was at defending Shanahan’s offense. Seemed like a coaching mismatch. 

Definitely a long season, but we also know that Saleh is 18-34 as a HC. He has a pretty big body of work and there are a lot of really bad trends - losing record with extra time to prepare, losing record on a short week, terrible record in the division, 1-2 off a bye, a lot of  blowout losses, a lot of games where his defenses get gashed by the the run, terrible record after November. 

we obviously had a bad QB for most of those games, so it’s not over for him. But he’s running out of excuses. It’s time to win. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

The issue I’m having is that Saleh should have had a better handle on how to deal with that running game. Shanahan seemed to be a lot better at attacking Saleh’s defense than Saleh’s defense was at defending Shanahan’s offense. Seemed like a coaching mismatch. 

Definitely a long season, but we also know that Saleh is 18-34 as a HC. He has a pretty big body of work and there are a lot of really bad trends - losing record with extra time to prepare, losing record on a short week, terrible record in the division, 1-2 off a bye, a lot of  blowout losses, a lot of games where his defenses get gashed by the the run, terrible record after November. 

we obviously had a bad QB for most of those games, so it’s not over for him. But he’s running out of excuses. It’s time to win. 

I hear you, but how many missed tackles were there on Monday? Wasn’t it like 18? They didn’t help themselves, then the 49ers defense took the ball away a couple times, and all of a sudden the Jets are losing the time of possession battle 2:1, and the defense is tired on the first week of the season in a ****ing night game and missing even more tackles. It was an ugly steamroller, and it was also week one against a formidable opponent. I expect that ship to be righted. Not necessarily because I love the coaching staff, but that this is a talented, prideful defense, and I really don’t think they’re enjoying being a cause for a loss. And, yeah, I do think they coach pretty well on this side of the ball. 

7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If the coaching is confirmed to be as peewee level as it appears... the ONLY chance is for Aaron to put the entire team on his shoulders and have the most special performance of his career. Unlikely. I'm really pissed that this coaching staff is going to waste a very talented roster, with a very small window of Aaron Rodgers, and actual competent QB play for the first time in 30 years probably. I really hope Woody is prepared to make a change immediately if these teams all follow the blueprint SF left and just run all the fk over them. Inexcusable. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frankie Green said:

If the coaching is confirmed to be as peewee level as it appears... the ONLY chance is for Aaron to put the entire team on his shoulders and have the most special performance of his career. Unlikely. I'm really pissed that this coaching staff is going to waste a very talented roster, with a very small window of Aaron Rodgers, and actual competent QB play for the first time in 30 years probably. I really hope Woody is prepared to make a change immediately if these teams all follow the blueprint SF left and just run all the fk over them. Inexcusable. 

The problem with Woody replacing anyone is that Woody chooses the replacements.

3 minutes ago, Frankie Green said:

Which is why I HATE the idea of him linking JD and Saleh. JD has done his job, the roster is not the problem it has been for decades. Otoh he did hire Saleh. So.... 

It’s all moot anyway. Woody isn’t firing anyone mid-season unless they commit a felony on camera. Now a coordinator or position coach head may roll as JD and Saleh try to blame-shift but that’s all.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

It’s all moot anyway. Woody isn’t firing anyone mid-season unless they commit a felony on camera. Now a coordinator or position coach head may roll as JD and Saleh try to blame-shift but that’s all.

Yeah that's why I'm pissed lol 

The only hope at all is Aaron Rodgers. Unless that defensive "display" monday was an abberation 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It’s more than good enough if we suddenly didn’t have the worst defense and run game in the league.

If he played like that for the Jets all year the past 2 years, we make the playoffs both years.