Jeff Ulbrich Press Conference 10/10

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If we lose on Monday night I think Woody should do something so bold people will still talk about it 50 years from now, securing his place in football history. 

Of course I'm hoping we don't lose to the Bills on Monday, but if we do Woody should demote Ulbrich and rehire Saleh.

Bold.

Bald and bold.

There are style points in football.  If they lose 35-34 and the offense looks fixed those moves are justified. 

Seems serious about coaching.  Not a vibe guy.  Sounds like the Jets are going to be tough team on both sides of the ball.  That mindset might help the OL in the running game.  Should be fun to see what we do differently on Monday night.   Seems like a no BS straight shooter.  

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why?

I know he isn't what I want, prefer or think is the most likely to win the modern Offense-driven NFL.

Is any of that going to change by seasons end?  IMO he can fill the spot till we get the chance to get the best, most experience, offensive-minded guy we possibly can. Waiting and seeing isn't going to change my opinion of a rookie D-Co as long-term answer.

Also if he does such a terrible job as HC then - presuming no one else wants to make him their HC either - we could still keep him on as DC under a new HC (if so desired). Otherwise if he's left as DC and that side of the ball still looks good - whether the team started winning or not - there's an increased chance he'd be hired away as someone else's next HC in January.

Not a whole lot of downside with this move -- frankly things needed to change, and do so before it's too late to make it worth doing at all. There were already players pointing at (unnamed) others on the team, as though it was expected these f-ups were going to go unpunished. Two biggest ways of wow-level changing things midseason to light a spark that wasn't there:

1. firing the HC
    • (who then swaps out the OC, title change or not)
  2. changing the starting QB
    • (living in reality they just weren't doing this after 5 games unless Rodgers was too injured to play)

I'm a Jets fan, so I generally root for good things to happen and expect bad things to happen, but I'm behind this move. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I agree with the changes, Saleh’s firing and Hackett’s demotion, but it feels like it’s too late. These moves should have been made at the end of last season. 

Not that I disagree, but they're in the situation they're in now, not the situation they were in 9 months ago.

Plus in the search for a new HC, the optics wouldn't have been too good: year after year the OL gets slammed with injuries, only QB2-QB3 types are healthy & on the roster, and the one time they bring in a legitimate name at QB he goes on IR after one pass attempt. You fire Saleh after that and good luck attracting anyone who doesn't insist on a 10-year HC contract whether he's worth it or not.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

And in an open interview-to-hire, I doubt Ulbrich wins the job vs. other candidates in the future offseason.  

As of this moment Ulbrich is the incumbent.

And unless Ulbrich falls flat on his face (which I highly doubt) the incumbent always has the advantage - unless a candidate that is clearly head & shoulders above him, enters the mix.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Elite beard game. I try to get my beard look good like that. Damn!

So a couple years ago I was dating a woman who kept telling me to shave my goatee because it would make me look 10 years younger. I finally did, and she was right. 
Unfortunately for her though I looked so good, I was able to trade her in for someone 10 years younger and a lot hotter.

Season 18 Episode 22 GIF by The Simpsons

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Let me be the first to say that I'm not rooting for Ulbrich to be our Head Coach going forward after this season.

If Saleh had been fired on Black Monday, there is no universe where I'd want or have advocated for the Jets to hire Ulbrich to replace him.  With the universe of other possible Head Coaches out there, Ulbrich isn't the guy I'd want.

As I often say, I want experienced, not a rookie Head Coach, not a Defensive-minded/sided Head Coach.  Ulbirch is all the things I don't want in the next NYJ Head Coach.

And in an open interview-to-hire, I doubt Ulbrich wins the job vs. other candidates in the future offseason.  

So while I'd like to see us win this year if we can, I'm not invested in Ulbrich as some long-term answer at Head Coach.  He's interim, that's all.  I want a full-throated, wide ranging search in the offseason for our next Head Coach, with a focus on finding an experienced, playoff-experienced, not a first-time Head Coach, and one with a pedigree of coaching top-tier offenses before. 

Nothing personal, just business.  

My guess is that there will be a lot of head coaching jobs available this off season - and who knows what the talent pool is going to be.

can you name me a couple of playoff experienced head coaches with a pedigree of coaching top tier offenses before?   especially ones with non franchise QB.

I see your point on a first time defensive head coach.   it's clearly not something that is working for the Jets.   But if he gets the Jets to the playoffs, it's going to be hard for him not to get the full time gig.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

So a couple years ago I was dating a woman who kept telling me to shave my goatee because it would make me look 10 years younger. I finally did, and she was right. 
Unfortunately for her though I looked so good, I was able to trade her in for someone 10 years younger and a lot hotter.

Season 18 Episode 22 GIF by The Simpsons

Probably why she said it. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Also if he does such a terrible job as HC then - presuming no one else wants to make him their HC either - we could still keep him on as DC under a new HC (if so desired). Otherwise if he's left as DC and that side of the ball still looks good - whether the team started winning or not - there's an increased chance he'd be hired away as someone else's next HC in January.

Not a whole lot of downside with this move -- frankly things needed to change, and do so before it's too late to make it worth doing at all. There were already players pointing at (unnamed) others on the team, as though it was expected these f-ups were going to go unpunished. Two biggest ways of wow-level changing things midseason to light a spark that wasn't there:

1. firing the HC
    • (who then swaps out the OC, title change or not)
  2. changing the starting QB
    • (living in reality they just weren't doing this after 5 games unless Rodgers was too injured to play)

I'm a Jets fan, so I generally root for good things to happen and expect bad things to happen, but I'm behind this move. 

I'd have preferred we had a deep enough coaching bench that the temporary HC could have been an Offensive guy, but alas, not on this year's staff.

So no, I don't have any issue per se with the move to make him interim.  I just don't want him as permanent, no matter how he does in these final games (I suppose if he wins a Super Bowl I'd have to reconsider, lol).

Experienced.  Resume of prior success/playoffs coaching.  Offensive sides history.  I don't think wanting these things is either unrealistic, or asking too much, for our future Head Coach for 2025 and beyond.

22 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

My guess is that there will be a lot of head coaching jobs available this off season - and who knows what the talent pool is going to be.

can you name me a couple of playoff experienced head coaches with a pedigree of coaching top tier offenses before?   especially ones with non franchise QB.

I see your point on a first time defensive head coach.   it's clearly not something that is working for the Jets.   But if he gets the Jets to the playoffs, it's going to be hard for him not to get the full time gig.

I agree on available jobs, what's the usual average, like 8?  Always more than we think too.

Can't name anyone today, because we're not hiring today.  Come the offseason, after guys are fired elsewhere or express interest in coming back to the NFL from college, etc. would be when I'd start naming names I like. 

If your point is "there may not be anyone who meets your criteria", you're right, there might not be.  Can't know one way or the other yet.

The problem is larger than just the Jets bad track record on offense (24+ years of mostly bottom ranks and futility) and with rookie D-Co Head Coaches (Saleh, Bowles, Ryan, Mangini, Edwards, Groh, with only Rex Ryan having any measure of success since 2000, and only Gase being an offense-side hire over that period).  Defensive first-time Head Coaches also don't generally succeed/win titles elsewhere either.  There ar exceptions, of course, but broadly it's better to be an O-Co than a D-Co as an NFL Head Coach.

We shouldn't let a playoff game color our future long-term decision.  If we can do better than Ulrich, we should try and do better.

Despite what Joe W. Namath thinks, this is not a "bad" Bills team.

The pass defense is very good, and their run game has been impressive.

Allen is good enough to compensate for a lack of elite weapons.

As Ulbirch alluded to, they will need to bring it on D with the big boys up front to shut down this run game while also making sure Josh Allen doesn't take over.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd have preferred we had a deep enough coaching bench that the temporary HC could have been an Offensive guy, but alas, not on this year's staff.

So no, I don't have any issue per se with the move to make him interim.  I just don't want him as permanent, no matter how he does in these final games (I suppose if he wins a Super Bowl I'd have to reconsider, lol).

Experienced.  Resume of prior success/playoffs coaching.  Offensive sides history.  I don't think wanting these things is either unrealistic, or asking too much, for our future Head Coach for 2025 and beyond.

Like I said to someone else a while ago: they're in the position they're in now, not the position you or I or anyone wishes they were in by doing something different between January-April. 

The most likely candidate that gets promoted is the OC or DC, and good luck justifying a promotion of the former to the fans. As it is he (deservedly) got demoted, and they weren't going to promote Downing over Ulbrich. That may satisfy you on paper but it may not go over so well in the locker room, and Ulbrich promoted downing to OC (in all but name) anyway so it's the same effect.

We'll see. Until we see them in action we don't know if a newly-promoted HC is still always a coordinator with a better job title or if he'll insert himself into both sides (hey now!). I think that's kind of expected to be more or less a half-team HC, for better or worse, and it's surely going to be that way with Ulbrich as he's retaining DC duties as HC. Really other than breaking the chain of crappy Jets-promoted DCs I don't know that it's automatically better to have an offensive HC outsourcing the D to a coordinator vs. an offensive HC outsourcing the O to a coordinator. 

Everyone wants Andy Reid, but in truth what they really want is Andy Reid with Pat Mahomes, not the Andy Reid that was the annual postseason failure who became a wuss in the playoffs for well over a decade. There are absolutely others on that side doing a good job (O'Connell, LaFleur, I guess Campbell even though he was never a coordinator; ironically all 3 in the same division).

At the same time, plenty do well with former DCs:

• Washington's 4-1 with a rookie QB;
  • Ryans is out to a 4-1 start himself after making the playoffs as a rookie defensive HC with a rookie QB last year;
  • McDermott in Buffalo might have been to a SB or two already if KC was in the NFC instead;
  • Gannon is just 2-3, but all 3 losses were against hot teams and Kyler Murray is looking like a QB again;
  • Tomlin famously has never had a losing season in 18 years as HC; 

Then there are these other offensive HCs:

• Zac Taylor is 1-4;
  • Pederson is 1-4;
  • Stefanski is 1-4;
  • Siriani is 2-2;
  • Harbaugh is 2-2 with two weak wins like the Jets;
  • QB McDaniel isn't any more successful than Saleh when he doesn't have a good QB on the field;
  • Denver's 3-2 but that's thanks to the Jets choking the game away with drops, fumbles, and a baker's dozen of penalties;
  • Stitchein isn't exactly making lemonade with Anthony Richardson at QB and not enough attention to D led to giving up almost 40 pts to the f'ing Jaguars; 

I'll give some guys (e.g. Mayo) a mulligan no matter which side they're coming from because their team is just awful and no one's saving it in this tear-down/rebuild season so it's too early to fairly judge him one way or the other.

Anyway I'm on board with an offensive hire, but there's no secret sauce that always works. As often as not the next hotshot OC turns into HC Adam Gase, Josh McDaniels, Brian Daboll, Arthur Smith...or Nate Hackett.

5 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Starts in about 10 minutes.

Downing isn't just taking over playcalling. He also is taking over game-planning. Which means he's been promoted to offensive coordinator in all but name. Reading between the lines, Hackett was basically given the option to either accept it or resign (hence the "we're so lucky to have him here" portion)

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Like I said to someone else a while ago: they're in the position they're in now, not the position you or I or anyone wishes they were in by doing something different between January-April. 

The most likely candidate that gets promoted is the OC or DC, and good luck justifying a promotion of the former to the fans. As it is he (deservedly) got demoted, and they weren't going to promote Downing over Ulbrich. That may satisfy you on paper but it may not go over so well in the locker room, and Ulbrich promoted downing to OC (in all but name) anyway so it's the same effect.

We'll see. Until we see them in action we don't know if a newly-promoted HC is still always a coordinator with a better job title or if he'll insert himself into both sides (hey now!). I think that's kind of expected to be more or less a half-team HC, for better or worse, and it's surely going to be that way with Ulbrich as he's retaining DC duties as HC. Really other than breaking the chain of crappy Jets-promoted DCs I don't know that it's automatically better to have an offensive HC outsourcing the D to a coordinator vs. an offensive HC outsourcing the O to a coordinator. 

Everyone wants Andy Reid, but in truth what they really want is Andy Reid with Pat Mahomes, not the Andy Reid that was the annual postseason failure who became a wuss in the playoffs for well over a decade. There are absolutely others on that side doing a good job (O'Connell, LaFleur, I guess Campbell even though he was never a coordinator; ironically all 3 in the same division).

At the same time, plenty do well with former DCs:

• Washington's 4-1 with a rookie QB;
  • Ryans is out to a 4-1 start himself after making the playoffs as a rookie defensive HC with a rookie QB last year;
  • McDermott in Buffalo might have been to a SB or two already if KC was in the NFC instead;
  • Gannon is just 2-3, but all 3 losses were against hot teams and Kyler Murray is looking like a QB again;
  • Tomlin famously has never had a losing season in 18 years as HC; 

Then there are these other offensive HCs:

• Zac Taylor is 1-4;
  • Pederson is 1-4;
  • Stefanski is 1-4;
  • Siriani is 2-2;
  • Harbaugh is 2-2 with two weak wins like the Jets;
  • QB McDaniel isn't any more successful than Saleh when he doesn't have a good QB on the field;
  • Denver's 3-2 but that's thanks to the Jets choking the game away with drops, fumbles, and a baker's dozen of penalties;
  • Stitchein isn't exactly making lemonade with Anthony Richardson at QB and not enough attention to D led to giving up almost 40 pts to the f'ing Jaguars; 

I'll give some guys (e.g. Mayo) a mulligan no matter which side they're coming from because their team is just awful and no one's saving it in this tear-down/rebuild season so it's too early to fairly judge him one way or the other.

Anyway I'm on board with an offensive hire, but there's no secret sauce that always works. As often as not the next hotshot OC turns into HC Adam Gase, Josh McDaniels, Brian Daboll, Arthur Smith...or Nate Hackett.

The reason an offensive HC is better than a defensive HC is continuity of offensive system when they're successful. Andy Reid, Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, and Kevin O'Connell can lose as many OC's to other-team head coaching jobs as they want without needing to change the offensive system. And it's much easier for an offensive HC to promote a position coach from within a good defensive system if the DC gets poached, or hire someone from outside if the DC is terrible, than it is for a defensive HC to continually find good offensive coordinators and playcallers when needing to replace an OC.

Bottom line: I don't think the success rate in finding a great HC is better choosing an OC than a DC. I do think that the benefits when you find a great offensive HC are better than what you get finding a great defensive HC

1 hour ago, i remember shea said:

Might be one of “you”. Certainly ain’t one of “me”. 

Easy there shea

As I said earlier Joe w is a good guy and now you are messing with my guy ghost

By the way how tall are you and what is your shoe size?

23 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

The Sleeper has awoke.

Sci-Fi Movie GIF

I will be the first to admit that the New Dune Movies are 1000X better movies than the 1984 version, and I love them and think they are Sci Fi masterpieces... BUT, I think I actually ENJOY the old one more.... 

• Upvote 1