Will McDonald proves doubters wrong through first five weeks

18 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I’m not yet convinced that Will McDonald is anything more than a situational pass rusher right now.

He feels closer to Aaron Maybin than John Abraham but that’s only because I don’t credit players for accumulating sacks when unblocked.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

There is still hope for him to suck! 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I’m not yet convinced that Will McDonald is anything more than a situational pass rusher right now.

He feels closer to Aaron Maybin than John Abraham but that’s only because I don’t credit players for accumulating sacks when unblocked.

Yeah, we'll see what more he can do as an every down player as time goes on, but so far the Jets have mostly gotten a rich man's version of undrafted rookie Huff with #15 overall McDonald, with a majority of the numbers coming from their two worst opponents.

Not as bad as his greatest critics may have thought, but still plenty left to prove before considered any sort of havoc.

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

Every sack leader in the nfl has a few easier sacks. Look at his pressure rate to see if he is legit or not 

• Upvote 3

He’s been great.

Hutchinson only leads him by .5 sack and he’s done for the year. So right now he’s on track to lead the nfl in sacks.

He also has gone against some decent OLines. Pitt doesn’t exactly have a great OL. I’d love to see him have his way with Jones this week. Who NE traded the pick before us to sport to draft Jones so we couldn’t draft him. I’d have to think Mac knows this.

There were never doubters. ... He hadn't shown anything until this year. I didn't notice him much last week.

But, I am very pleased that he is having some impact. Keep going. Put on some dam weight .. can't disappear of plays you don't win.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

He has more sacks through 6 games than Maybin managed in a career, he’s also playing on a DL that was supposed to include Jermaine Johnson and Haason Reddick, he’s stepped up and is doing the best he can while being the focus of attention for opposing offenses….he’s been a bright spot so far and without him we’d be in even deeper doo-doo

• Upvote 1

He has more sacks through 6 games than Maybin managed in a career, he’s also playing on a DL that was supposed to include Jermaine Johnson and Haason Reddick, he’s stepped up and is doing the best he can while being the focus of attention for opposing offenses….he’s been a bright spot so far and without him we’d be in even deeper doo-doo
Aaron Maybin could speed rush the passer and was very good at that. .. he sucked at everything else. He is a good player in a singular role right now .. not a monster by any means.

He’s been decent. Nowhere near the consistency that Bryce Huff showed last year. I also didn’t see McDonald do anything vs the bills. He was stonewalled consistently by the RT and Allen had all day to throw the ball. 

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Aaron Maybin could speed rush the passer and was very good at that. .. he sucked at everything else. He is a good player in a singular role right now .. not a monster by any means.

Who said he was a ‘monster’ ?

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

His draft position.

That’s a bit simplistic with all due respect, if you are expecting every player drafted at 15 to be a ‘monster’ (whatever that actually means)I fear you are in for a lifetime of disappointment, that’s a bar set a wee bit on the high side IMO…what constitutes’monster’ anyway? What are the objective judgements and performance indicators that qualify you for the official  ‘monster’ status?  Does being 0.5  behind Aidan Hutchinson for the NFL lead in sacks not count as a tick in the box? Hutch went No 2 overall so he’s in decent company.

the Aaron Donald’s of this world come along so very rarely, they are not the norm, you want a starter who contributes week in and week out and makes the plays and causes the disruption that the position merits, and ultimately who warrants retaining long term, I’d personally argue an edge rusher drafted top 15 needs to be getting you 10 sacks or more per season, as well as consistent pressure and forcing QB’s into rushed throws or having to bail out, while also not a liability elsewhere, so far he’s well on pace and despite the lazy assumption that because of his build he’s a liability in run support, I’m not sure that’s actually true. We don’t know exactly what his responsibility is on every play so it’s up in the air if getting gashed by Ray Davis was on him or a wider failure of the rest of the DL and defense as a whole….bearing in mind how many huge holes were up the middle it’s likely the problem was elsewhere….and again, he’s playing on a depleted DL who’s other ‘rushing’ end is Michael Clemons who’s actually more of a DT and not enough of an edge threat to warrant double teaming, It’s really Will McDonald and little else at the moment.

He’s also barely into his second year as a pro having been drafted as a player who would need some developing, I’d argue he’s doing well, Those first round picks are not supposed to be about instant gratification, although great if they are but you want a position locked down for the next 10 years so you don’t have to keep coming back and burning high round picks again and again….like our offensive line.

If every top 8 to 15 draft pick was a Will McDonald level contributor as opposed to a Mekhi Becton level contributor we’d be in far better shape. Having said that, 7 sacks through 6 games in year two would put him a lot closer to that mythical ‘monster’ category than the Aaron Maybin category …..just my opinion 

• Post of the Week 1

That’s a bit simplistic with all due respect, if you are expecting every player drafted at 15 to be a ‘monster’ (whatever that actually means)I fear you are in for a lifetime of disappointment, that’s a bar set a wee bit on the high side IMO…what constitutes’monster’ anyway? What are the objective judgements and performance indicators that qualify you for the official  ‘monster’ status?  Does being 0.5  behind Aidan Hutchinson for the NFL lead in sacks not count as a tick in the box? Hutch went No 2 overall so he’s in decent company.
the Aaron Donald’s of this world come along so very rarely, they are not the norm, you want a starter who contributes week in and week out and makes the plays and causes the disruption that the position merits, and ultimately who warrants retaining long term, I’d personally argue an edge rusher drafted top 15 needs to be getting you 10 sacks or more per season, as well as consistent pressure and forcing QB’s into rushed throws or having to bail out, while also not a liability elsewhere, so far he’s well on pace and despite the lazy assumption that because of his build he’s a liability in run support, I’m not sure that’s actually true. We don’t know exactly what his responsibility is on every play so it’s up in the air if getting gashed by Ray Davis was on him or a wider failure of the rest of the DL and defense as a whole….bearing in mind how many huge holes were up the middle it’s likely the problem was elsewhere….and again, he’s playing on a depleted DL who’s other ‘rushing’ end is Michael Clemons who’s actually more of a DT and not enough of an edge threat to warrant double teaming, It’s really Will McDonald and little else at the moment.
He’s also barely into his second year as a pro having been drafted as a player who would need some developing, I’d argue he’s doing well, Those first round picks are not supposed to be about instant gratification, although great if they are but you want a position locked down for the next 10 years so you don’t have to keep coming back and burning high round picks again and again….like our offensive line.
If every top 8 to 15 draft pick was a Will McDonald level contributor as opposed to a Mekhi Becton level contributor we’d be in far better shape. Having said that, 7 sacks through 6 games in year two would put him a lot closer to that mythical ‘monster’ category than the Aaron Maybin category …..just my opinion 

Hey ... I agree.. my curt response was a simplistic quip ... We have been told over and over again that ZW should have been Joe Montana because he was drafted 2 overall.