NYC slowly getting back to a National League town

SouthernJet

I told you I didn't read that article. I have never disagreed that the town has shifted. They go with the winner. My point is that the shift has not begun and is not close.

The Yankees dominate in attendance. The Mets are a win it now team. Look at the age in the rotation. They have this season and next to get it done. Then they will be bringing in new guys to get it done. That doesn't always work out.

tick, tick, tick

and again, the artice says that,,i have said that,,,no one is disputing that,,,yikes,,,

quit worryin,

paranoia will destroy ya

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and again, the artice says that,,i have said that,,,no one is disputing that,,,yikes,,,

quit worryin,

paranoia will destroy ya

So the article says it is a Yankee town. And there are no changes planned. Yes, then I agree with the article.

So the article says it is a Yankee town. And there are no changes planned. Yes, then I agree with the article.

yes it says its a yankee town since last time mets owned town,,

it just said if mets carry out what they have started and yanks dont do better than another shift could take place,,,

thats all..it wont bite ya,,

man, what did u do when u found out there was no santa claus?

It is a shame you were so young during the 80's. You missed a lot.

For a young guy like you to be so young and to use terms like "never", just seems so wasteful.

And, if you think the Mets were second fiddle in '69, and the years that followed immediately after, well, you are not as versed in baseball history as you pretend to be.

The Mets had their moments

but they're nowhere near as relevant as the Yankees, Giants and Dodgers are/were.

Funny how the Mets have one good not-even half of a season and yet you guys feel you can speak down on the Yankees.

The Mets had their moments

but they're nowhere near as relevant as the Yankees, Giants and Dodgers are/were.

Funny how the Mets have one good not-even half of a season and yet you guys feel you can speak down on the Yankees.

Where, exactly, were the Yankees "spoken down to" in this thread? Blackout, paranoia is correlated pretty strongly with cardiovascular disease. Be careful.

I pulled the car over and said Dad get out. I will hear no more of this nonsense.

haha, i know u hate this but its like Doug Heffernan finding out his beloved Dog (38 years old) was really Rusty the 4th,, his parents never had the heart to tell him the dog died and replaced him without Doug knowing,, and there have been 3 others since 1st one died and he still doesnt know,, he just belives his dog is 38..

its the same episode where he also found out that he had to repeat kindergarten and his parents had told him that it was SUPER Kindgergarten!

Where, exactly, were the Yankees "spoken down to" in this thread? Blackout, paranoia is correlated pretty strongly with cardiovascular disease. Be careful.

\he is obvioulsy too young to remember the yankee 'dominance' of the mid 60s thru mid 70s and the early 90s,,'

its cyclical,, it happens to everyone,,,

george fixed it (except for ealy 90s), but you never know,,,

Very true and not unlike the 2001-2006 Yankee teams.

Not a very fair comparison, as the Yankees were in teh WS twice in that timeframe, and 2006 will be the 3rd time. Also, the Yankees did draw League-leading attendance totals, while the Mets of the 1980s did not always do so.

The Yankees had okay teams in the 80's. But it was a Mets town then. The Mets screwed up big time by only winning once with that bunch of guys.

agree 100%,,, drugs will do that to you,,

and Davey Johnson 'wait for the 3 run HR baseball' :D

Not a very fair comparison, as the Yankees were in teh WS twice in that timeframe, and 2006 will be the 3rd time. Also, the Yankees did draw League-leading attendance totals, while the Mets of the 1980s did not always do so.

mets in 85 thru 90 were ranked 2,2,2,1,3,2 in NL attendance,,,

the Yanks in 2000 thru 2005 were 2,2,1,1,1

actually pretty good for mets as they were 2nd place WC team in 4 of 6 years

If you are implying that these 2001 through 20006 Yank teams who have had multiple former MVP's , All-Stars and CY Young winners added to "the Captains team" have not under achieved you are crazy.

i love the yanks, and ny ill always be a yanks town. what i hate it that the yanks have become teh financial superpower in mlb. its so convient to say you are a yanks fanjust because of the names. not sayin i am turning coats, but i really respect the mets org. if the mets wom the ws as often as the yanks did, you'd find many more mets bandwagoneers!

i love the yanks, and ny ill always be a yanks town. what i hate it that the yanks have become teh financial superpower in mlb. its so convient to say you are a yanks fanjust because of the names. not sayin i am turning coats, but i really respect the mets org. if the mets wom the ws as often as the yanks did, you'd find many more mets bandwagoneers!

some reason that post made me feel like i just gulped down a Black Beauty,,

New York has not been a National League town since Babe Ruth. The Dodgers and Giants had to leave town with their tails between their legs because they were completely overshadowed by the Bronx Bombers.

The Mets have always been a little brother - almost an afterthought.

Thus has it ever been. Thus shall it ever be.

New York has not been a National League town since Babe Ruth. The Dodgers and Giants had to leave town with their tails between their legs because they were completely overshadowed by the Bronx Bombers.

Ah, yes. Revisionist Yankee history at it's best.

From the mid 60's to the mid 70's you could shoot a cannon down Broadway at noon and not hit anyone who claimed to be a Yankee fan. One of those years, they drew an announced crowd of around 500 to a game against the White Sox. And I think they were counting arms of people, not bodies.

During the mid 80's, it was a Mets town with Dwight, Darryl, Keith and the rest. Yankee stories were on page 20 of the sports section.

It's been a Yankee town since about 95, but they're on the way down now, and it is changing again. Both teams have die-hard fans, and both teams have bandwagoners.

BTW, the Dodgers left NY because O'Malley was able to extort the Mayor of Loas Angeles easier than he could the mayor of New York. He convinced the idiot Stoneham to go with him. It was all about real estate, not fan interest.

By every objective measure the Yankees dominate the NY baseball scene

MUCH HIGHER TV RATINGS

MUCH HIGHER RADIO RATINGS

MUCH HIGHER HOME ATTENDANCE

AND EVEN MUCH HIGHER ROAD ATTENDANCE

But hey, some clown from the NY Post is counting Met hats he sees on the street ... real scientific study ... so all of these objective measures can be dismissed :rolleyes:

But hey, some clown from the NY Post is counting Met hats he sees on the street ... real scientific study ... so all of these objective measures can be dismissed :rolleyes:

Remember when the Mets fans would Say the Yankees gained about 5M new fans after 1996? Those same bandwagon fans are now buying Mets hats & Jerseys....Watch how they embrace them now that they root for the Mess.

Tsk Tsk Tsk.

The point is not which has more fans or higher numbers in attendance, the juicy part of this story is what team is more RELAVENT, which team is more INTRIGUING.

That is what the purpose of the article (whether you want to believe it or not).

The greatest thing is to watch Yankee fans contort their little kingdom and actually change history to have to try and defend a point that has very little meat to it.

Talk about being spooked by ghosts, Yankee fans now seem to be afraid of shadows.

Remember when the Mets fans would Say the Yankees gained about 5M new fans after 1996? Those same bandwagon fans are now buying Mets hats & Jerseys....Watch how they embrace them now that they root for the Mess.

Smizzy, I don't know what your official stance on this issuse is (YES I DO), but you proved the original point of writer exactly!!!!!!!

Here it is:

There will always be a set of fans who are Met fans regardless.

There will always be a set of fans who are Yank fans regardless.

There is a set of fans that follow the wind, and root for the most relavent team at the time, the team that has the most intrigue.

Call them bandwagon, or whatever, but there are those fans that do that. That is where the tide changes. It is not going to change among the loyal hardcores. That would be ridiculous to expect.

It was enlightening to hear from a Yankee fan on this point, that agrees what the Mets fans have laid out.

THANKS SMIZZ. You get it.

hey skipper, look at Mets vs Yankee attendance stats since Mets came to NY,, its cyclical,,

By every objective measure the Yankees dominate the NY baseball scene

MUCH HIGHER TV RATINGS

MUCH HIGHER RADIO RATINGS

MUCH HIGHER HOME ATTENDANCE

AND EVEN MUCH HIGHER ROAD ATTENDANCE

what a tool,,

he is sayin that the yanks are still on top for this cycle,,

but it MAY be shifting,,MAY be,,

if u look at the historical cycles , all the stats u put in your thread were owned by team in front for that particular cycle,,

man, yank fans are paranoid,,,

From 1969 to 1986 the NY mets won 90+ games twice ( 84,85) How did you own Ny in that time span?

bottom line its cyclical,,

From 1964 thru 1975 Mets outdrew yanks,,,11 years

From 1976 thru 1983 the Yanks outdrew the Mets.. 7 years

From 1984 thru 1992 the Mets outdrew the Yanks,,,8 years

From 1993 thru 2005 the Yanks outdrew the Mets,,12 years...

So Yanks have current cycle, and Mets MAY be starting to shift back to NYs historical cycle,,

for last 38 years Mets and Yanks are even 19 -19 years,,,

Its not a big deal guys,,,just facts,,,

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/attend.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/attend.shtml

Wow SJ

You're really fighting the good fight

But we all know the truth, don't we

u r right, numbers dont lie,,

its cyclical,,silly to say otherwise,,

but congrats to yanks on a good cycle this time around,,i expect they will outdraw this year, and maybe even next,,

but hey yanks will be back,,the new boss of yanks is a Tarheel,, UNC alumni son-in-law has been given reins by George,, so all is good,,,

u r right, numbers dont lie,,

its cyclical,,silly to say otherwise,,

but congrats to yanks on a good cycle this time around,,i expect they will outdraw this year, and maybe even next,,

but hey yanks will be back,,the new boss of yanks is a Tarheel,, UNC alumni son-in-law has been given reins by George,, so all is good,,,

Don't kid yourself....the Mess are having a once in a generation type season, and they STILL won't outdraw the Yanks

Question.....are you one of the many no-shows at Shea

Hope you are staying dry....I have a close friend that had to go to Raleigh because of the floods....he works for a disaster relief company

Don't kid yourself....the Mess are having a once in a generation type season, and they STILL won't outdraw the Yanks

Hope you are staying dry....I have a close friend that had to go to Raleigh because of the floods....he works for a disaster relief company

What are the stats on no-show-I would be interested to see this, since you have them

the mall paking lot flooded and a few streets, but its all subsided now,,i am surprised he had to come,,

thanks for askin,,

my creek is major league altered, but that happens every once in awhile,,, i have a few new huge sandbars and at one entry point the creek is a few feet from some stairs i built,, the newest bridge i have is at least not effected (i have had to rebuild twice) ...

but it will change again,,,always does,,nature

Archived