Jets Making Run For Branch

DHJF

I know,just joking with you.But you have to admit the pats did run a lot of screens last year.If there was a way of checking i would be sure that they would of lead the league.

Ten, the Pats will always run a ton of screens and the reason why is simple.

It makes teams reluctant to blitz.

This is extremely important especially when the Pats go 5-wide with no RB in the backfield.

I would also bet that more than 50% of the Pats screens last year came when Brady audibiled at the LOS when he sniffed a blitz coming.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ten, the Pats will always run a ton of screens and the reason why is simple.

It makes teams reluctant to blitz.

This is extremely important especially when the Pats go 5-wide with no RB in the backfield.

I would also bet that more than 50% of the Pats screens last year came when Brady audibiled at the LOS when he sniffed a blitz coming.

While that's true don't feel it's the main reason,i feel the pats ran a lot of screen to basicly act as a running game(since Dillon wasn't getting the job).I don't think they ran as many in 2004 when Dillon was on form.

If yu can get it to work though more power to you,if you can costantly pull off a high percentage play with no risk,i can't see how it's a bad thing.

While that's true don't feel it's the main reason,i feel the pats ran a lot of screen to basicly act as a running game(since Dillon wasn't getting the job).I don't think they ran as many in 2004 when Dillon was on form.

If yu can get it to work though more power to you,if you can costantly pull off a high percentage play with no risk,i can't see how it's a bad thing.

and it is in fact what WE'VE been doing all pre-season Ten-using the short passing game in lieu of the run

Hardly. Coles is certainly better than Branch. Hard to blame him for meager stats with QB's like Testaverde and Bollinger throwing to him for much of the year.

LOL those idiots sound like Coles is 36 when he's only 27 the same age as branch and has acomplished ALOT more in the NFL then branch.

I'll bet the Jets offer is #2 next year and Justin McCaeirens for Branch. Just a gut feeling I have. Jets would get their man and Pats would get a wr and a high draft choice. /discuss

That's the offer I would make. I wouldn't trade a first rounder for a veteran player, unless said veteran was descended from Jesus and had the Magical Jesus Powers...

Anyway. As a side note, even if we don't end up with Branch, we've totally convinced him that he has value greater than what the Pats want to give him. SO, they can definitely count him out for the rest of the season. Enjoy.

With the extra 2nd the Jets have, and giving up McCareins it'd be a good deal.

Not necessarily for this season, because Pennington is not the long-term answer...But with the potential of Clemens, and both Branch and Coles in their mid-20's, that could be pretty formidable...

Coles as the #2 option could thrive on single coverage and use his quickness more often...Not sure how Branch would handle double-teams...

and it is in fact what WE'VE been doing all pre-season Ten-using the short passing game in lieu of the run

To pull it off costantly though you need to be able to keep the defense honest and be able to connect on passes down the field.Something we can't do :(

But i reckon we've ran a few more screens in pre season,Mangold has looked really nice on selling his block before getting to the flat.

Jets | Financial agreement reached with Branch; trade with Patriots next obstacle

Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:08:08 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports New England Patriots WR Deion Branch has reached an agreement with the New York Jets on a long-term deal that meets his contract demands. However, the Jets still would need to come to an agreement with the Patriots to acquire Branch.

:Typotux:::GoJets::pats:

Anyway. As a side note, even if we don't end up with Branch, we've totally convinced him that he has value greater than what the Pats want to give him. SO, they can definitely count him out for the rest of the season. Enjoy.

another good point-strategic move on the Jets part-possibly taking away Brady's #1 offensive weapon-if we can sign him and even if we DON'T might just neuralize him in the way uart suggests

You can forget about it. No way they trade Branch to a team in the same division unless they are ready to part with about two first round picks. If they do, you should be very concerned because that means they think absolutely nothing of him and aren't worried about having to face him twice in a season.

unless they think he sucks

unless they think he sucks

If they thought he sucked then why would they allegedly be asking for two #1s? A smart move for the Jets would have been to check NE's demand. As long as it's high, offer Branch the moon, then tell Branch and his agent you can't make the deal cause the Pats want too much. Will keep Branch holding out, add to ill will between Pats and Branch. We're not good enough to matter, but something like this might have helped in '04. It's also a true weasel move and unfair to the player.

If they thought he sucked then why would they allegedly be asking for two #1s? A smart move for the Jets would have been to check NE's demand. As long as it's high, offer Branch the moon, then tell Branch and his agent you can't make the deal cause the Pats want too much. Will keep Branch holding out, add to ill will between Pats and Branch. We're not good enough to matter, but something like this might have helped in '04. It's also a true weasel move and unfair to the player.

screw the players,,,

cogs in the bosses play toys

According to Boston.com

Second-round pick Chad Jackson, who was supposed to come in and give the team enough leverage over Branch to avoid this situation in the first place, remained in street clothes, as he has all summer. Free agent acquisition Reche Caldwell also didn't play last night. Those guys, in theory, should have become the new Nos. 1 and 2 receivers in New England if Branch and Givens were lost over money, but Jackson has thus far only proven that he has a hamstring that does not respond well to treatment or rest, while Caldwell has affirmed thus far the Chargers' decision to give up on him after having made him a second-round pick in 2002. If anyone can honestly say he's a No. 1 or even a No. 2 receiver in an NFL offense, they are more optimistic than Mary Poppins.

ahem........

Tx & Troll...get it out of Branch's ass. He would be the #2 here. Regardless or not of Coles' toe injury which obviously isn't effecting him much (with 4 QB's last season and not even a decent complement on the other side of him still posted 75 grabs for 850 yards and 5 TD's). Coles is a #1 Wide Reciever. Period. If you think otherwise, then check your IQ. LC is a #1. Deal with it. Branch would be the #2 here with #1 capability.

124, it was posted earlier that it could be a 2nd and a "pretty good player"

i dont see them giving a 1st for him...no way

They won't give a 1st round pick for him which is what I'm saying that unless they do New England is not going to trade him to an in division opponent / rival. The only reason Bledsoe ended up in Buffalo is because they were the only team willing to give a 1st round draft choice and New England thought he was done. Branch is entering the prime of his career and to seek less then a 1st round pick from a rival / division opponent would be stupid and we all know BB & Pioli arn't dumb.

It's either going to be a 1st round pick or wait until he's a FA at the end of the season. I would be VERY VERY VERY surprised if we got him for a 2nd round pick and a player....besides...what player do we have that could possibly help them that we have great depth at? LB & DB...who are we giving up? David Barrett? Derrick Strait? Matt Chatham?

great post....

just from the 3 that you posted..i would say STRAIT would be the man..

They won't give a 1st round pick for him which is what I'm saying that unless they do New England is not going to trade him to an in division opponent / rival. The only reason Bledsoe ended up in Buffalo is because they were the only team willing to give a 1st round draft choice and New England thought he was done. Branch is entering the prime of his career and to seek less then a 1st round pick from a rival / division opponent would be stupid and we all know BB & Pioli arn't dumb.

It's either going to be a 1st round pick or wait until he's a FA at the end of the season. I would be VERY VERY VERY surprised if we got him for a 2nd round pick and a player....besides...what player do we have that could possibly help them that we have great depth at? LB & DB...who are we giving up? David Barrett? Derrick Strait? Matt Chatham?

Listening to WEEI Boston sports radio:

A #2 and player who could be: Coles or Hobson. Yup, Coles. Don't shoot me. That's what the radio heads are saying. Something about his contract being less that it is now because the Jest would have to pay his bonus?

BTW 24, I wouldn't have given a box of donuts for Bledsoe. The chances of him winning a SB are ZERO.

This stuff is kind of fun, no?

A #2 and player who could be: Coles or Hobson. Yup, Coles. Don't shoot me. That's what the radio heads are saying. Something about his contract being less that it is now because the Jest would have to pay his bonus?

BTW 24, I wouldn't have given a box of donuts for Bledsoe. The chances of him winning a SB are ZERO.

no way Princess Sweetie Pie

The real question is supposing that Seattle and the Jets offer the same deal with the same pick. The Pats obviously would take the "hawks offer over the Jets if they were equal, but do the Pats want a top 5 pick in that round or another potential super bowl pick from the bottom of the round?

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!...HOBSON ...maybe...but no way COLES...thats friggin crazy..

Tx & Troll...get it out of Branch's ass. He would be the #2 here. Regardless or not of Coles' toe injury which obviously isn't effecting him much (with 4 QB's last season and not even a decent complement on the other side of him still posted 75 grabs for 850 yards and 5 TD's). Coles is a #1 Wide Reciever. Period. If you think otherwise, then check your IQ. LC is a #1. Deal with it. Branch would be the #2 here with #1 capability.

Coles is a number one? My ass. You have very low criteria for a number one receiver if you consider him to be one. I guarantee you there is no one on Earth not wearing a pair of green goggles that considers him a number one. He had ONE great season. That's it. Since then, he has been a number 2 receiver.

I am not saying Branch is a number one. He isn't. But he IS better than Coles. Stats do not prove everything. Remember against KC last year when Coles dropped two touchdown passes? Some number one receiver there. Branch rarely ever drops the ball. He's more reliable than Coles and has more speed as well.

Archived