Chad Pennington

Boozer76

That's a good point, but it applies to you as well. Why do you think Ramsey and Clemens offer a better opportunity to win today? Neither distinguished themselves when we saw them and practice has been closed for months. The best thing I could say about Clemens was that he thew a nice ball and looked OK for a rookie. Ramsey looked worse as a Jet than a Redskin and the offense was new to all three. Why should Ramsey suddenly have been hit with a bolt of lightning and "get it" now?

I honestly don't see how it would apply to me. I never said Clemens offers a better opportunity to win, I said we just know what Pennington gives us, and we don't know what Clemens does. I want to see what Clemens can do. Clemens could be a liability just as bad as Pennington, although I doubt it if he develops the same football smarts as Pennington (well, after today's game, even that might be questionable, I don't want Clemens emulating some of those retarded reads).

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I honestly don't see how it would apply to me. I never said Clemens offers a better opportunity to win, I said we just know what Pennington gives us, and we don't know what Clemens does. I want to see what Clemens can do. Clemens could be a liability just as bad as Pennington, although I doubt it if he develops the same football smarts as Pennington (well, after today's game, even that might be questionable, I don't want Clemens emulating some of those retarded reads).

If Chad keeps playing like this Clemens will get his chance but don't make Chad out to be jeff george all of a sudden. There is a reason he's 44/2 in the redzone in his career...

That's a good point, but it applies to you as well. Why do you think Ramsey and Clemens offer a better opportunity to win today? Neither distinguished themselves when we saw them and practice has been closed for months. The best thing I could say about Clemens was that he thew a nice ball and looked OK for a rookie. Ramsey looked worse as a Jet than a Redskin and the offense was new to all three. Why should Ramsey suddenly have been hit with a bolt of lightning and "get it" now?

Why? Because you cannot possibly play any worse than Chad has over the past 7 games. He has had only 1 game over 200 yards during that span (207 vs IND), he has 10 INT's to only 5 TD's, his completion percentage is in the mid 50's during that span. Let's face it people, that's just plain horrible.

You want to sit there and say nobody on outr team can do better than that? I can at least understand the idea that Ramsey is no better simply because there is a history in the NFL to use as proof, but nobody, NOBODY, can accurately say whether or not Clemens can do better. Don't look now, but HOU, MIA, BUF, GB, and even OAK are starting to play better and are no longer "easy" wins for us. Ironically of all our upcoming opponents, MIN is probably plazying the worst right now. If Chad continues to play as poorly as he has over the past 7 games we have ZERO shot at the playoffs. He has been getting progressively worse as the season has rolled on.

I really don't give 2 squats about this year. We are not a playoff team, and even by miracle we sneak in as a WC we will get blown out of the water in the playoffs soon enough. If you want to see Chad in there until we lose 7 games so be it. What I care about is the future of this team, and it defdinately is not Chad pennington. I'm hoping like hell that the coaching staff was right about Clemens when they drafted him. If not they better go find someone fast because if it isn't Clemens, then the future of this team at QB is not on our roster.

In the beginning of the season, sure 5-5 would have been nice. After the Browns game 5-5 would have been nice. But now having seen whayt our team is capable of, the fact of the matter is we would be 7-3 if our QB just SHOWED UP. Chad has done more to hurt us than help.

Capable of what ?

The defense can only stop the run if the sell out on the blitz leaving the corners man-to-man.

A defense who leader in sacks is a safety.

A running game that is good some days, bad on others.

A passing game that is basically 5-10 yds dunks

A kicker that the coach has zero faith in.

I mean c'mon. This wasn't a good team coming into the season and it has now risen to mediocre.

Somebody has to make a play. Chad was awful, Barrett dropped a pick, the running game was not there today and the D gave up 100 yds again on the ground.

They are a mediocre team at best that will get better and will probably have a new qb if and when they make that big run to the Super Bowl.

The only way Clemens will see the field is if entering the Oakland game the Jets have 7+ losses and even then Mangini may stick with Pennington rather then throw the rookie in there... however, like the onside kick today, it would be something I would not agree with. Once L #7 comes (if it does come before Week 17), Chad should be on the bench and Clemens should be in.

Why? Because you cannot possibly play any worse than Chad has over the past 7 games. He has had only 1 game over 200 yards during that span (207 vs IND), he has 10 INT's to only 5 TD's, his completion percentage is in the mid 50's during that span. Let's face it people, that's just plain horrible.

You want to sit there and say nobody on outr team can do better than that? I can at least understand the idea that Ramsey is no better simply because there is a history in the NFL to use as proof, but nobody, NOBODY, can accurately say whether or not Clemens can do better. Don't look now, but HOU, MIA, BUF, GB, and even OAK are starting to play better and are no longer "easy" wins for us. Ironically of all our upcoming opponents, MIN is probably plazying the worst right now. If Chad continues to play as poorly as he has over the past 7 games we have ZERO shot at the playoffs. He has been getting progressively worse as the season has rolled on.

I really don't give 2 squats about this year. We are not a playoff team, and even by miracle we sneak in as a WC we will get blown out of the water in the playoffs soon enough. If you want to see Chad in there until we lose 7 games so be it. What I care about is the future of this team, and it defdinately is not Chad pennington. I'm hoping like hell that the coaching staff was right about Clemens when they drafted him. If not they better go find someone fast because if it isn't Clemens, then the future of this team at QB is not on our roster.

I've answered this question about 45 times in this post. I'll go to bed and everybody can go back to picking on Mike. Number one you can play worse than Chad did, even today. Eli did last week with even more weapons. Doesn't mean Chad didn't play like total crap and lose the game. If it would help his development AND Clemens were the qb of the future or if it could let us know if he'd be the qb of the future I'd be fine for playing him. That's not necessarily the case.

It still might not be right to bench Penny. I'll give you an example. Kimo is horrible. Dave Ball couldn't possibly play worse than Kimo, why not bench Kimo? Ball is younger, maybe he's the DE of the future, why not find out? It's because there are 10 other guys that have to know what the 11th is doing. That is doubly important at qb. Worse, if Clemens isn't ready then you could actually retard his development.

Capable of what ?

The defense can only stop the run if the sell out on the blitz leaving the corners man-to-man.

A defense who leader in sacks is a safety.

A running game that is good some days, bad on others.

A passing game that is basically 5-10 yds dunks

A kicker that the coach has zero faith in.

I mean c'mon. This wasn't a good team coming into the season and it has now risen to mediocre.

Somebody has to make a play. Chad was awful, Barrett dropped a pick, the running game was not there today and the D gave up 100 yds again on the ground.

They are a mediocre team at best that will get better and will probably have a new qb if and when they make that big run to the Super Bowl.

A defense that shut out CLE in the 2nd half giving Chad 3 opportunities to tie the game. A D that shut down NE and held them to only 14 points. A D that stonewalled CHI pretty much all game and probably played better D overall than CHI, who has the best D in the league. Our D made 1 mistake that cost us 7 points. A mistake that likely would not have happened if Chad puts even 3 points up to tie. Mangini was trying to manufacture points on D by selling out on the blitz in the hopes that Grossman made a mistake. An OL that has inproved steadily throughout the season and has been one of the better units in the league in terms of pass blocking.

The passing game that is basically 5 yard dink and dunks? That's a direct result of the man under center. If our QB even just showed up and did nothing to hurt us, we would have won in CLE and likely could have pulled out CHI as well. Just because we didn't expect to be as good as we are in the preseason doesn;t mean Chad should be excused for blowing 2 games that would have made us even better and throwing twice as many INT's as TD's in the last 7 games. Are you impluying that when we lose games we blatantly should have won that I should be happy because i expected us to lose it in the preseason>?

we can argue all we want but right now mangini thinks that chad is his guy and mostly won't change his mind chad has start to get back to his old ways. He's been very inaccurate the last few games and I can't figure out why, he's just missing open recievers. The first five games of the season he was doing pretty well the last five have been mediocre at best. HE shouldn't get benched while the jets are still in the playoff hunt this is like 2 years ago when the giants were 5-2 and they put eli manning went 5-11 or 6-10. Clemens isn't ready to play and i'm afraid of some of the interceptions that ramsey is capable of throwing so I say just keep pennington in there.

A defense that shut out CLE in the 2nd half giving Chad 3 opportunities to tie the game. A D that shut down NE and held them to only 14 points. A D that stonewalled CHI pretty much all game and probably played better D overall than CHI, who has the best D in the league. Our D made 1 mistake that cost us 7 points. A mistake that likely would not have happened if Chad puts even 3 points up to tie. Mangini was trying to manufacture points on D by selling out on the blitz in the hopes that Grossman made a mistake. An OL that has inproved steadily throughout the season and has been one of the better units in the league in terms of pass blocking.

The passing game that is basically 5 yard dink and dunks? That's a direct result of the man under center. If our QB even just showed up and did nothing to hurt us, we would have won in CLE and likely could have pulled out CHI as well. Just because we didn't expect to be as good as we are in the preseason doesn;t mean Chad should be excused for blowing 2 games that would have made us even better and throwing twice as many INT's as TD's in the last 7 games. Are you impluying that when we lose games we blatantly should have won that I should be happy because i expected us to lose it in the preseason>?

Nope.

What I am saying is look at the overall state of this team. It is still not a very talented team that is doing it with good coaching and some smoke and mirrors.

If Magnini went in tommrow and said he was going with Clemens the rest of the way I would have no problem with that at all. We know what we have in Pennington.

I don't want people to sit here and think that by putting in Clemens or Ramsey right now the Jets are suddenly gonna be a Super Bowl contender this year. They aren't that good.

It come down to this.

If you want to make the playoffs this year you stick with Pennington.

If you want to make a Super Bowl run in 08 or 09 you go with Clemens now see what he has or you go and draft a QB next year.

I read you post right after I posted my last one so I know where you stand. ;)

How many people here actually ENJOY watching Pennington at QB? Serious question.

Would you enjoy watching the way he plays if he were not a Jet?

Interesting question; you're always expecting the other shoe to drop-injury, something bad. But that may be a case of simply being a Jets fan. Pennington's a bright and gritty guy, but it's like watching a really good utility player-he has all the basics and fundamentals down and does all the little things right, but the raw talent and in Pennington's case, the arm strength, just isn't there. A player like that can only do so much. You love and identify with Andy Stankewicz, but Andy Stankewicz was never going to be Darryl Strawberry because Strawberry, for all his problems, had real talent beyond almost everyone else.

Ding ding ding - we have a winner. Right on the money, IMO, D.

At some point though you have to put Clemens in there and let him take his lumps. There are very few qb's that have come in and lit it up right off the bat. The speed of the game between NCAA and the NFL is light years apart. That is why you put in Clemens this week or next week.

Alot like Walton did with O'Brien in 84. Walton basically tossed aside a 6-2 start after Ryan got hurt and decided that the future was with O'Brien and he let him take his lumps that year. Those lumps he took in 1984 paid off 1985.

Nope.

What I am saying is look at the overall state of this team. It is still not a very talented team that is doing it with good coaching and some smoke and mirrors.

If Magnini went in tommrow and said he was going with Clemens the rest of the way I would have no problem with that at all. We know what we have in Pennington.

I don't want people to sit here and think that by putting in Clemens or Ramsey right now the Jets are suddenly gonna be a Super Bowl contender this year. They aren't that good.

It come down to this.

If you want to make the playoffs this year you stick with Pennington.

If you want to make a Super Bowl run in 08 or 09 you go with Clemens now see what he has or you go and draft a QB next year.

I read you post right after I posted my last one so I know where you stand. ;)

There really is no point in putting Ramsey in, even though I'd rather he start then Pennington.

Thats how bad I think Pennington is.

If Chad plays poorly vs the texans, win or lose, Clemens should get the starts the rest of the way. I'm not passing on Brady Quinn if he's somehow on the board when we pick, to stick with a 2nd rd pick who never played a snap, in Kellen Clemens.

At some point though you have to put Clemens in there and let him take his lumps. There are very few qb's that have come in and lit it up right off the bat. The speed of the game between NCAA and the NFL is light years apart. That is why you put in Clemens this week or next week.

Alot like Walton did with O'Brien in 84. Walton basically tossed aside a 6-2 start after Ryan got hurt and decided that the future was with O'Brien and he let him take his lumps that year. Those lumps he took in 1984 paid off 1985.

Please do not ever say we should do what Joe Walton did again. Thank you.

Barton, I will go one step further. If Quinn is still available one or two picks ahead of us we should trade up to get him. Should we trade the bank for him. Hell no, but if the deal is reasonable take it.

Depending on what it costs, I would do that. Maybe a 2nd and 5th rder to move up a couple spots? We dont have a 4th rder.....

I want to see what Clemens does first though......

Depending on what it costs, I would do that. Maybe a 2nd and 5th rder to move up a couple spots? We dont have a 4th rder.....

I want to see what Clemens does first though......

We do have an extra 2nd-rounder from Washington. Right now I think it's

But I agree. We have to see a little bit of Clemens or there's no way we draft another day-one QB (let alone in round one) right after drafting a QB in round two the prior season.

We have to see a little bit of Clemens or there's no way we draft another day-one QB (let alone in round one) right after drafting a QB in round two the prior season.

And starting him for Oakland or maybe Oakland and Miami isn't going to be enough of a look to gather meaningful information. I think there's merit in keeping a rookie QB away from trial by fire introductions but there's another side of that coin too. Mangini's praise to the press of Chad's decisions because even P.T. Barnum couldn't praise Chad's throws tells me we're in for 6 more games of #10 taking snaps.

And starting him for Oakland or maybe Oakland and Miami isn't going to be enough of a look to gather meaningful information. I think there's merit in keeping a rookie QB away from trial by fire introductions but there's another side of that coin too. Mangini's praise to the press of Chad's decisions because even P.T. Barnum couldn't praise Chad's throws tells me we're in for 6 more games of #10 taking snaps.

If our QB is number 10 the rest of the way (now that the he has been exposed for what he really is), then I have to say that we are in big trouble!! Put Clemons in and see what he can do....NOW!!!!

I gave Penny the benefit of the doubt and I have been proven wrong. We all have.

Look, not every NFL QB can have as good a game against the Bears' D as Matt Leinart. The offense around him sucks. Our best RB, Leon Washington, is a feisty player but no way is he a full-time running back. The offensive line can't run-block and our receivers, Coles, Cotch and Baker are ok not great

Look, not every NFL QB can have as good a game against the Bears' D as Matt Leinart. The offense around him sucks. Our best RB, Leon Washington, is a feisty player but no way is he a full-time running back. The offensive line can't run-block and our receivers, Coles, Cotch and Baker are ok not great

You think Pennington's arm keeping the defense in has no effect on our running game?

Chad is not the answer. Nice guy. Everyone has tons of respect for his coming back from two shoulder surgeries. Smart. Leadership-type personality. But when all the dust has settled, he's just not that good.

Too many people have fear-of-worse syndrome.

You think Pennington's arm keeping the defense in has no effect on our running game?

Chad is not the answer. Nice guy. Everyone has tons of respect for his coming back from two shoulder surgeries. Smart. Leadership-type personality. But when all the dust has settled, he's just not that good.

You hit it right on the nose!!!!!!

That's why we need someone esle (Clemons???) in there now, cut the losses and see what you've got with this guy. Why not?? And to be honest did you hear Penny after the game, does not sound like a leader to me.....His leadership skills went out bthe door the moment they gave him 65 million bucks.....

So Pennington's weak arm is the reason why the running game blows? C'mon that's a stretch. I guess if the Jets had Jeff George Leon Washington and Kevan Barlow would be dominant RB's and D'Brickashaw Ferguson would gain 30 lbs and become a power run blocker.

So Pennington's weak arm is the reason why the running game blows? C'mon that's a stretch. I guess if the Jets had Jeff George Leon Washington and Kevan Barlow would be dominant RB's and D'Brickashaw Ferguson would gain 30 lbs and become a power run blocker.

Jeff George? Now that's taking my comment & stretching it. If the QB doesn't throw the ball with more than 10 yds of air under it, the defense is simply not going to play deep.

It doesn't mean that he changes a stellar running game & turns it horrible. But it's no stretch to say it significantly contributes to turning what might be a serviceable running game into a bad one.

The running game does not exist in a vacuum. The passing game - particularly the lack thereof - has a big effect on it.

Jeff George? Now that's taking my comment & stretching it. If the QB doesn't throw the ball with more than 10 yds of air under it, the defense is simply not going to play deep.

It doesn't mean that he changes a stellar running game & turns it horrible. But it's no stretch to say it significantly contributes to turning what might be a serviceable running game into a bad one.

The running game does not exist in a vacuum. The passing game - particularly the lack thereof - has a big effect on it.

Sperm Edwards, you are conveniently forgetting that the Jets had a good to excellent running game the first 3 years Pennington was their starter.

The personnel suck. We went from Curtis Martin, Jerald Sowell and Kareem Mackenzie to scrub o' the week RB, BJ Askew and Anthony Clement.

Two years ago with weak arm Chad Pennington Curtis Martin somehow managed to lead the league in rushing. Yeah I'm sure Helen Clemens will make the running game better.

Sperm Edwards, you are conveniently forgetting that the Jets had a good to excellent running game the first 3 years Pennington was their starter.

The personnel suck. We went from Curtis Martin, Jerald Sowell and Kareem Mackenzie to scrub o' the week RB, BJ Askew and Anthony Clement.

Two years ago with weak arm Chad Pennington Curtis Martin somehow managed to lead the league in rushing. Yeah I'm sure Helen Clemens will make the running game better.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you (just hear me out on this). The running game is not the problem and has not been the problem. It wasn't yesterday was it? The problem is we as Jets fans have over-rated our QB Penny. That's the fact. We said..ok so he doesn't have a god arm....we've said of so he doesn't run much....we said ok so he does take more sacks than not....we said all of these things. Penny can't come through end of story. And to tell you the truth I was a big Penny supporter.

Not "somehow" - here's how:

196 yds vs Cincy on route to a 0-4 start

119 yds vs then-awful SD

110 yds vs 4-12 Miami

111 yds vs 2-14 SF

115 yds vs 4-12 Miami

119 yds vs Baltimore (only time they showed up vs a decent rush D)

88 yds vs Cle

99 yds vs Ari

134 yds vs Hou

134 yds vs Sea

153 yds vs StL

And what did having the rushing champ do for us? 10 wins. With a good team & that ridiculous schedule, 10 lousy wins.

That dink-&-dunk crap can work against bad teams, but the better defenses will still eat you alive:

77 yds vs Buf (2-pt, come-from-behind win vs a then 0-3 team)

70 yds vs NE (loss)

67 yds vs Buf (loss)

72 yds vs Pit (loss)

33 yds vs NE (loss)

and in the playoffs:

64 yds vs SD (win in OT)

77 yds vs Pit, with 28 of those yards coming on 3 plays where we needed 18, 20, and 25 yds for a first down. Other than 3 stat-padding runs = 49 yds including OT (loss)

But that's all ancient history anyway. We had Mawae still playing at a high level. Ditto Fabini, plus McKenzie & Sowell as you mentioned, and a decent blocking TE in Becht. This team has two rookies, a still-ok-but-aging 285-lb LG, a RG who should be a backup, and Clement, to go with BJ Askew & Chris Baker. Apples & apples, this is not.

If you think Chad's 4-yard passes are the way to establish a dominant running game vs good defenses and also the path to the superbowl, then by all means, root for more of it.

Not "somehow" - here's how:

196 yds vs Cincy on route to a 0-4 start

119 yds vs then-awful SD

110 yds vs 4-12 Miami

111 yds vs 2-14 SF

115 yds vs 4-12 Miami

119 yds vs Baltimore (only time they showed up vs a decent rush D)

88 yds vs Cle

99 yds vs Ari

134 yds vs Hou

134 yds vs Sea

153 yds vs StL

And what did having the rushing champ do for us? 10 wins. With a good team & that ridiculous schedule, 10 lousy wins.

That dink-&-dunk crap can work against bad teams, but the better defenses will still eat you alive:

77 yds vs Buf (2-pt, come-from-behind win vs a then 0-3 team)

70 yds vs NE (loss)

67 yds vs Buf (loss)

72 yds vs Pit (loss)

33 yds vs NE (loss)

and in the playoffs:

64 yds vs SD (win in OT)

77 yds vs Pit, with 28 of those yards coming on 3 plays where we needed 18, 20, and 25 yds for a first down. Other than 3 stat-padding runs = 49 yds including OT (loss)

But that's all ancient history anyway. We had Mawae still playing at a high level. Ditto Fabini, plus McKenzie & Sowell as you mentioned, and a decent blocking TE in Becht. This team has two rookies, a still-ok-but-aging 285-lb LG, a RG who should be a backup, and Clement, to go with BJ Askew & Chris Baker. Apples & apples, this is not.

If you think Chad's 4-yard passes are the way to establish a dominant running game vs good defenses and also the path to the superbowl, then by all means, root for more of it.

SP..your right and I agree......I wanted to say the very thing you said in your post. Penny has been the problem...don't forget the Playoff losses like (Penny throwing 4 interceptions against Oakland, and the Pittsburg loss)...all killers.

If you guys hate Pennington so much then you should have supported the jets drafting Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler. I like Pennington a lot more than you guys do but I also acknowledged the fact that we need an eventual successor at QB.

Sorry, but Jay Fiedler clone Helen Clemens ain't the answer and the running game will continue to stink until we get a real running back, a real fullback and O-linemen that can actually run block.

You guys instead supported the Jets neglecting the backfield and drafting a finesse, undersized pass-blocker specialist in Ferguson with the 4th pick. D'Brickshaw Ferguson can keep his body in front of those speed rushers but he is an average run blocker at best.

If you guys hate Pennington so much then you should have supported the jets drafting Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler. I like Pennington a lot more than you guys do but I also acknowledged the fact that we need an eventual successor at QB.

Sorry, but Jay Fiedler clone Helen Clemens ain't the answer and the running game will continue to stink until we get a real running back, a real fullback and O-linemen that can actually run block.

You guys instead supported the Jets neglecting the backfield and drafting a finesse, undersized pass-blocker specialist in Ferguson with the 4th pick.

Like the Cardinals? Matt Leinart & Edgerrin James to compliment Boldin & Fitzgerald & Bryant Johnson. How's all that working out with no OL?

D'Brick is going to be very good. I hope a full pre-season with NFL-caliber strength & conditioning personnel will help him add some much-needed bulk & retain his mobility. I'd still rather have Ngata/McNeill than D'Brick/Clemens though. It's over & done with now.

You guys instead supported the Jets neglecting the backfield and drafting a finesse, undersized pass-blocker specialist in Ferguson with the 4th pick. D'Brickshaw Ferguson can keep his body in front of those speed rushers but he is an average run blocker at best.

That "finesse" O-line and our RBs sure racked up yardage in the first half. Then the Bears simply played the pass, so the pass blocking tactically put us in a great position to win. Unfortunately our noodle arm QB is too incompetent. I'm pretty sure Clemens, who I don't see how you can have an opinion on, could have done better if given the chance.

If the only players you'll support are skill position players picked within the top 5, go and become a Detroit Lions or Arizona Cardinals fan. How is that working out for them?

That "finesse" O-line and our RBs sure racked up yardage in the first half. Then the Bears simply played the pass, so the pass blocking tactically put us in a great position to win. Unfortunately our noodle arm QB is too incompetent. I'm pretty sure Clemens, who I don't see how you can have an opinion on, could have done better if given the chance.

If the only players you'll support are skill position players picked within the top 5, go and become a Detroit Lions or Arizona Cardinals fan. How is that working out for them?

yeah that made sense. we were running well so the bears went to their pass defense.

were we forced into noodle arm penny throwing at that point? the bears came out in the 2nd half having dodged several bullets in the 1st half. they remained patient & mistake free. the jets forced issues & beat themselves in the 2nd half. the os kick was part of forcing the issue & not being patient.

Archived