The 1st Annual JetsNation.com Official Draft Day Thread.....

JonEJet

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While opposing coaches call Mankins the smartest blocker in the Western Athletic Conference, opposing players regard him as one of the most competitive and aggressive blockers in the nation. Hailing from a small lumberjack town, Mankins rivals only Paul Bunyan when it comes to others telling stories of their encounters with this technically sound blocker.

Called the "most technically sound lineman" in the collegiate ranks by The NFL Draft Report, that service compares him favorably with former Green Bay Packers great, Jerry Kramer. Mankins shows good form and technique setting his base. He has enough quickness and kick slide to mirror and is especially effective at sealing the corner since moving to the left side.

Mankins was an all-area and team MVP at Mariposa (Calif.) High School. He joined the Fresno State program 2000 and was granted a redshirt. He moved into the starting lineup at right tackle in 2001, earning All-Mountain West Conference honors as he only allowed two sacks while protecting QB David Carr, who broke several FSU passing records that year.

He again started every game in 2002, despite playing in his final three contests with an ankle sprain. A torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during 2003 fall drills would sideline him for the season. He returned to action in 2004 and emerged as one of the best left tackles in college football. Mankins did not allow a sack, tackle or pressure in three games, graded over 90 percent for blocking consistency, set a school single-season record with 82 knockdown blocks and did not allow any opponent to get to the quarterback.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a wide frame with a barrel chest, good bubble, wide hips, thick thighs and calves

No, this is tradition.... Wilfork was the exception, not the rule.

Deion Branch, Betherl Johnson, Ben Watson, all "whaaaaat?" picks...

This too.

I don't like the pick, a lot of guys I'd have rather heard called.

But IBBWT, and you guys are morons if you don't understand why that's a reasonable, valid statement.

No, this is tradition.... Wilfork was the exception, not the rule.

Deion Branch, Betherl Johnson, Ben Watson, all "whaaaaat?" picks...

This too.

I don't like the pick, a lot of guys I'd have rather heard called.

But IBBWT, and you guys are morons if you don't understand why that's a reasonable, valid statement.

Scary thing here is that RS might just be right. This guy, with BB luck, will be a 14 time Pro-Bowler. #-o

But for now WTFWT??? :shock:

Man, this is the first time that I have to "think" about my spin.

Can't come up with one just yet, but give time, and I will.

This is going to a tough one for you Tex, this guy would have been available at the end of the second, no question. Most boards had him ranked as a maybe 2nd, likely 3rd pick.

Hey, like all these guys, we won;t know for a while, so that gives you time to come up with something. :D

And the guy who the Pats SHOULD have drafted (if they were really that hard-pressed for an o-lineman to begin with) gets taken by San Fran. David Baas is an excellent pick; good value, a need, a safe pick and also a guy who can play any of the 3 interior OL positions. Not to mention, he's one mean SOB.

49'ers draft Smart. Got the QB at #1, now an appropriate lineman to protect him with #33 (note, this lineman was taken exactly where he was projcted, unlike some linemen for some teams we could mention :lol: ).

Yes, Baas will help in the pass protection, but isn't he also being brought in to jumpstart the running game? I doubt Mike Nolan is not going to give up on Kevan Barlow and the inside-the-tackles running game, IMO, so Baas seems to be most needed there.

Archived