How is D-Rob stacking up against other NTs

jamesAngleton

I guess Mangini knew what he was doing by making him our NT. Even though he has had some bad games for the most part it looks as if he is assimilating to the position. As of today Dewayne Roberstson has more total tackles than Vince Wilfork, Ted Washington, Casey Hampton and Jason Ferguson. He trails Jamal Williams by 1.

He also has more sacks than the aforementioned Nose Tackles including Jamal Williams.

He also has more YdsL than all those guys as well. So I guess he has gone from bust to boom!

Not bad for a guy who just took up the position. Obviously the weak link is Kimo. If we can get a legit 3-4 DE an a pain in the ass OLB then this D will be insane.

He's not supposed to have any stats. He's supposed to occupy blockers not shed them or squeeze through them.

But he's doing a very good job of late, particularly for someone playing out of position.

So are you saying these are bad #'s and the lower the better? Or can we be succesfull in the 3-4 with out NT making plays rather than standing there?? I know in theory it should be Vilma making those tackles that Drob has... but maybe its a good thing that Drob can make plays and recently stop the run.

So are you saying these are bad #'s and the lower the better? Or can we be succesfull in the 3-4 with out NT making plays rather than standing there?? I know in theory it should be Vilma making those tackles that Drob has... but maybe its a good thing that Drob can make plays and recently stop the run.

Good or bad doesn't matter. A "Belicheck 3-4" NT is just there to occupy blockers so the LBs can clean up with tackles. The reason good numbers are nice is because Mangini isn't a one-trick pony and lets him one gap once in awhile. That's when we want him cleaning up and posting some stats.

Not at all. What I am saying is that you watch the games to see how a NT is doing, not the stat sheet. Are teams running up the middle virtually at will? If they get past the DL, are the LB's occupied by an OG or FB or are they able to make a play at or right around the LOS b/c DRob is taking on 2 men?

You can't judge a 3-4 NT by #'s of sacks or #'s of tackles. With a NT, most of the time sacks are coverage sacks after the OL has been pushed back for at least 3 seconds, not like a DT penetrating through a gap like Sapp/Randle/Stubblefield used to do.

It doesn't mean that someone with lower #'s is doing worse, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's doing better either.

He's played well of late. While he's still not the ideal NT, he's certainly gotten to the point where (at least against the talent we're facing) he hasn't been a liability at all lately. Considering how he started out, I'll take that without question for the rest of the season.

Jets still need a real Nose Tackle. Robertson stunk it up as a NT the first 8-9 games this year and then has played better the past couple games but look against who? Packers? Texans? Sione Pouha would look good matching up against those inept O-lines.

Do you watch the games? The reason I ask is because he has been playing lights out for more than those two performances and in fact you neglected to mention how one of his finer performances this year was against Brady and the pats. Ask the pats fans what they think of their o-line, but from what I've seen this year it's pretty damn good.

I guess you're back to your agenda spewing.

He's not supposed to have any stats. He's supposed to occupy blockers not shed them or squeeze through them.

But he's doing a very good job of late, particularly for someone playing out of position.

thats how you atract double teams by penentrating you idiot. if you dont penentrate behind the lines you will not warrant a double team but i think we should still look for a NT in the draft a big one atleast. #52 from Cal looks good

D-rob has done absolutely nothing except for the past 2-3 games. He has been a bust up to this point. He is a bust because all that we gave up for him. Now, if he can continue to play up to this level and maybe a little better for the next 2-3 years he might even out the raping the bears gave us.

thats how you atract double teams by penentrating you idiot. if you dont penentrate behind the lines you will not warrant a double team but i think we should still look for a NT in the draft a big one atleast. #52 from Cal looks good

1) Try to make your point without being a blowhard

2) If that was the case then the best nose tackles would be built more like John Randle than Ted Washington

1) Try to make your point without being a blowhard

2) If that was the case then the best nose tackles would be built more like John Randle than Ted Washington

Jets fans have this unreasonable demand that their NT look like Ted Washington.

There are basically four players in the league who even come close to that - Sam Adams (who is notoriously lazy), Pat Williams, Jamal Williams and Ted Washington himself.

There are exactly zero players in the current NFL Draft crop with those specifications.

There are basically four players in the league who even come close to that - Sam Adams (who is notoriously lazy), Pat Williams, Jamal Williams and Ted Washington himself.

There are exactly zero players in the current NFL Draft crop with those specifications.

I was using him as an example. Then use Jason Ferguson as another example. He's not a mammoth-sized player but is a solid 3-4 NT.

And if you read more than just my last comment I was actually complimentary of DRob, any criticism of whom you respond to as though someone just punched your baby sister.

DRob is doing well right now. No one has seen him sustain CLEARLY above-average play for a full season, going back to college. The best argument would be 2004 when he had a true NT (in a contract year) and two young, experienced, pro-bowl talents on the line with him.

I agree that there seem to be no such ideal 3-4 NT prospects coming out this year. He's not going anywhere next year as his cap # drops almost in half for 2007. Cutting him would save maybe $2M on a ~$110M cap and there's no way we could find a player who, with absolute certainty, will play better for that money. And Mangini seems to like him a lot.

What we do with him in 2008/beyond is too far away to tell.

I guess Mangini knew what he was doing by making him our NT. Even though he has had some bad games for the most part it looks as if he is assimilating to the position. As of today Dewayne Roberstson has more total tackles than Vince Wilfork, Ted Washington, Casey Hampton and Jason Ferguson. He trails Jamal Williams by 1.

He also has more sacks than the aforementioned Nose Tackles including Jamal Williams.

He also has more YdsL than all those guys as well. So I guess he has gone from bust to boom!

Not bad for a guy who just took up the position. Obviously the weak link is Kimo. If we can get a legit 3-4 DE an a pain in the ass OLB then this D will be insane.

ill tell you this i wanna when we get a pure NT and have dwayne back at his original position cause from what i see mangini knows what he"s doing...

Do you watch the games? The reason I ask is because he has been playing lights out for more than those two performances and in fact you neglected to mention how one of his finer performances this year was against Brady and the pats. Ask the pats fans what they think of their o-line, but from what I've seen this year it's pretty damn good.

I guess you're back to your agenda spewing.

that was gonna be my exact question too raffy-it's no coincidence that since Robertson has been playing good (the 2nd half of the Cleveland game) so have the Jets

Don't forget Vince Wilfork, Bit. He is huge!

It seems he gets bigger evertime I go to a game (I sit 9 rows from the field so see him up close).

Back to D-Rob. He has been playing very well the last few weeks. Looks like Mangini lit a fire under his arse and he has responded.

I don't think the size is as important as the level of play, and if D-Rob continues this level of play I do not see why NT will be a problem. We can use Pouha next year to rotate a bit, but I think I pefer D-Rob when he's actually using technique and his athleticism (who knew he was athletic). D-Rob can also be ocassionally moved to DE, and of course we can ocassionally use the 4-3 as well. I think the versatility is nice to have.

I don't think the size is as important as the level of play, and if D-Rob continues this level of play I do not see why NT will be a problem. We can use Pouha next year to rotate a bit, but I think I pefer D-Rob when he's actually using technique and his athleticism (who knew he was athletic). D-Rob can also be ocassionally moved to DE, and of course we can ocassionally use the 4-3 as well. I think the versatility is nice to have.

I have very little hope that Pohau will ever see the playing field as a NY Jet-THAT ship has sailed along with the USS McClover

I agree with this. Size isn't as important if he's getting the job done. You don't have to have textbook measurables to succeed at a position. If he continues to play well then I say keep him as our NT, one less position to worry about.

Archived