New England has Mangini on their minds

Daily News:

Jets have believed all along

It happened on Sunday in the bowels of Alltel Stadium in Jacksonville, a priceless moment that should tell you something about the emergence of the Jets and the continuing hostility between Gang Green and the Patriots.

Walking toward the locker room after New England's defeat of the Jaguars, Patriots tight ends coach Pete Mangurian stunned bystanders by shouting to no one in particular, "Take that, Eric Mangini! (We're) division champs!"

Yes, they had clinched their fourth straight title, but the mere fact that one of Bill Belichick's minions had Mangini on his mind at that moment indicates the Jets have succeeded in getting under the Patriots' skin.

Did anyone honestly believe it would happen this quickly?

The Jets (9-6), who can secure a wild-card berth with a victory over the lowly Raiders (2-13) Sunday at Giants Stadium, have staged the third-biggest turnaround in the NFL - a five-win improvement from last season. Only the Saints (seven wins) and the Ravens (six) have done better.

And it has put the Jets in an "I-told-you-so" mood. The holdovers from the 4-12 mess believe last season was an injury-induced aberration that fooled experts into thinking the team was short on ability.

"When you start saying, 'Oh, this team doesn't have any talent. Why are they in this position?' - it means you really don't know jack, if you ask me," wide receiver Laveranues Coles said yesterday. "Two years ago, a lot of people in this room were in the playoffs. We had a lot of injuries last year. If you don't understand that, you don't understand football."

The Jets finished last season with 12 players on injured reserve, including quarterbacks Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler. This season, they've been relatively healthy. That, coupled with Mangini's fresh, no-nonsense approach, has enabled them to contend again.

"I really believe last year was undermined by the injuries," said defensive end Shaun Ellis, one of 18 holdovers from the '04 team that came within a field goal of the AFC Championship Game. "We didn't have all our weapons. Everything was on the rise going into the season, but the bottom fell out. We kept fighting and fighting, but we knew that wasn't us."

Said Coles: "Half the guys in the huddle, I didn't know their names. I didn't know who they were. For me, it was like, 'What do you expect?'"

To a man, the Jets claim they're not surprised by this season's success. Of course, there wasn't much bravado in training camp. Yes, they refused to use the dreaded 'R' word (what NFL team admits it's rebuilding?), but no one jumped out with any bold predictions. The mood was cautiously optimistic.

For one thing, they didn't know much about Mangini, who had no previous head-coaching experience. Even Curtis Martin, the wise head, didn't know what to expect.

"With Eric coming in and his philosophy being so different (from Herm Edwards), usually you have a long turnaround when things are so different," Martin said last week. "But to the team's credit, everyone got on board. I thought that would be the hardest part, the hardest transition, but Eric has done a great job of implementing his system."

After an up-and-down start, the Jets have won five of seven, creating a win-and-they're-in scenario for Sunday. If they qualify as the sixth seed, they probably will face the Colts in a rematch of their Week 4 loss. But there's also a chance they could get the Patriots. Wouldn't that be something?

For now, the focus is strictly the Raiders. As Ellis said, "This could be a real tricky game."

Tricky or not, the Jets already have provided their fans with a treat.

"I flick the channels and all you hear is, 'Who would've thought the Jets would be in this situation?'" Coles said. "What does that say about the people who didn't pick us? It means they don't know jack."

Kind of ironic considering that thier win is what gave the Jets control of thier playoff chances. After that statment it just makes it even sweter if the Jets knock the Pats out of the playoffs.

I bet BB is pretty upset that it was said. at least out loud.

It's the playoffs, everyone knows it's all about the running game and defenses.

And the Pats running game nor defense really scares me, JMO.

The Jets wouldnt either if I were playing them. The only team that scares me in the playoffs is Baltimore. Chad against that defense would be smush.

DW10

Practice Squad

vCash: 700

oh for God's sake! You guys can put a spin on anything to make it look your way. Gimme a break. lol

Well, I guess 9-7 won't be so bad afterall. We still have chance at the playoffs. It is NOT over. I still like the Fins chances better than the clown Jets.

hey DW10 ya think maybe it's time to update your Nostradamus sig line above to...Hey I guess 6-10 ain't bad...

I have a strong preference for the Patriots. It would be the "Handshake bowl". Nothng on the enttire planet for the Jets to lose in that encounter and everything potentially to gain. Imagine somebody handing you a million dollars to play with in Las Vegas and telling you that you keep your winnings but are not responsible for any losses. OK, you get the basic picture. Plus, it would be in Foxboro so there really is absolutely nowhere to hide for the Pats. I wonder if snow could be arranged?

All the ex-spurts would already have the professor in the next round and the student in search of his golf clubs.

Plus, let's be honest, the two teams to avoid in all of this are the Ravens and the Chargers not the Patriots or the Colts.

oh for God's sake! You guys can put a spin on anything to make it look your way. Gimme a break. lol

Spin? And how would YOU read, "Walking toward the locker room after the NE defeat of the Jaguars, Pats TE coach Pete Mangurian stunned bystanders by shouting to no one in particular, 'Take that, Eric Mangini! We're division champs!'"? Seriously, how would you read that statement? One thing I can tell you... even YOU can't spin that to say, "The Dolphins are the best team in the NFL and will win the Superbowl this year!"

I do. I REALLY do.

BZ

You don't honestly think the Jets are going to beat the Patriots a second time especially in the playoffs do you? Nevermind, I just remembered that you thought Herm was a good coach, I already know your answer.

Let the Pats Head games begin.That being said I want the Pats in the playoffs for sure .Then after we break their hearts ,Tom (pretty boy) brady and all his commericals can be taken off the air for the rest of the playoffs.I also think BB is gonna kill the TE coach for even saying something so Dumb to show how much we are under their skin and getting the Jets pumped even more and Mangini to prepare even harder.Bad move on the TE coaches part "DUMBASS " ....:eek: that was for you know Who.

The Pats will not win a playoff game. Denver will go in there, this time without Jake Plummer (but they could be a good thing, depending) and beat New England for the second time this season and the second time in as many seasons in the playoffs.

Then again I could be wrong and we'll just have to watch the Pats get hammered by San Diego or Baltimore in the Divisional Round.

You don't honestly think the Pats are going to beat the Jets a second time do you?

Nevermind, I just remembered that you thought the Patriots could reach the Super Bowl this season, I already know your answer.

:wink:

You don't honestly think the Pats are going to beat the Jets a second time do you?

Nevermind, I just remembered that you thought the Patriots could reach the Super Bowl this season, I already know your answer.

:wink:

POTW NOM

Balt would WIPE the floor with the Jets. They are too physical. That being said the Jets win on the road in Indy. On the road in San Diego and then they beat Denver in the Championship game.

;)

Hey, it could happen! :P One of these days the stars will line up properly for the Jets!

Same question back at you?

Do you think the Patriots are going to let Pennington burn them for another 168 yards? No way.

If Belichick hates Mangini as much as the press thinks and probably hopes, do you honestly think he is going to let the Patriots lose this game?

Do you think the Patriots are going to let Pennington burn them for another 168 yards? No way.

If Belichick hates Mangini as much as the press thinks and probably hopes, do you honestly think he is going to let the Patriots lose this game?

LET the Pats lose? Are you insinuating that BB actually dictates the outcome? Come on. he's a great coach, classless, but great. He's NOT the Messiah, however!

Are you saying that Belly would work harder or be a better coach against the Jets because he hates them?

Wow that is sad. You would think he would want to beat everyone equally. I guess winning has changed things. That and all his affairs -- they probably leave him focused. Plus Fed Ex'ing 30grand in hush money to hotties around the country, that has to be tiring as well.

But hey, he is a Hall Of Fame coach so none of that matters I guess.

You don't think Mangini hates Belichick for the **** he's pulled in his own private frame? Yes, he sure as hell does and he would like nothing more but to beat the Patriots in the postseason and send them off to the golf course. Both coaches would want this win over anything else, it wouldn't be that Belichick wanted it more, trust me.

Are you saying that Belly would work harder or be a better coach against the Jets because he hates them?

Wow that is sad. You would think he would want to beat everyone equally. I guess winning has changed things. That and all his affairs -- they probably leave him focused. Plus Fed Ex'ing 30grand in hush money to hotties around the country, that has to be tiring as well.

But hey, he is a Hall Of Fame coach so none of that matters I guess.

If I need to explain motivaton to you it is already a lost cause.

POTW NOM

Balt would WIPE the floor with the Jets. They are too physical. That being said the Jets win on the road in Indy. On the road in San Diego and then they beat Denver in the Championship game.

;)

Hey, it could happen! :P One of these days the stars will line up properly for the Jets!

we already beat the Patsies once, we can beat em twice

LET THEM LOSE???? What are you smoking buddy, thats a lame statement.... Do you think Mangini would let the JETS lose... how many more broad meaningless statements can you come up with to prove a point???

Here is some facts

Chad Pennington has 474 yards against the Patriots this year.

- Thats 237 a game

- With a 1.5 TD per game and 1 INT per game average

We are averaging 84 Yards on the ground against you this year.

I think I would LOVE to face a team we get 225+ passing yards on and over 80 yards rushing... not to mention Leon coming on strong now... and Houston will be back....

Archived