More whistling past the graveyard

Preston Howley III

A Chiefs fan says he's concerned about Herm's comment "If we blitz, who's gonna cover Harrison?" And another one responds with the notion that this is deception by Herm. :lol:

Dude, if Herm makes an announcement in the papers 48 hours before the game, telling what he intends to do, he's really going to do it.

I'll never forget the time that idiot told the press that "Vinny would start, and Chad would come in later in the game", and not only did the moron do it, but Vinny was actually playing OK and had a 10-0 lead on the Eagles. The Jets went on to lose the game.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=155845

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude, if Herm makes an announcement in the papers 48 hours before the game, telling what he intends to do, he's really going to do it.

I know this is 2 weeks old but that is POTW material. JetMo hits the nail on the head!

I know this is 2 weeks old but that is POTW material. JetMo hits the nail on the head!

that man's incompitance should be commemorated. Not made fun of.

How many other men with IQ's comparable to some of the slower veggies in the garden get to be a head coach of an NFL team?

It's amazing how you guys can never just let it go. He's not our HC anymore, why are you so worried about him?

it's become a sport of it's own here,

Think of JetMoses kinda like an investigative reporter who has been studying Herman Edwards and doing a continuing expose' on his words and deeds since he left

It's amazing how you guys can never just let it go. He's not our HC anymore, why are you so worried about him?

Because over his 5 years here, the Jets had talent. And it was wasted. Gee, what did the team who won the AFCE division 3 times while Edwards was here do with it? If you aren't mad about the utter incompetence of Hermie and the opportunities he pissed away through mismanagement, you weren't paying attention.

Because over his 5 years here, the Jets had talent. And it was wasted. Gee, what did the team who won the AFCE division 3 times while Edwards was here do with it? If you aren't mad about the utter incompetence of Hermie and the opportunities he pissed away through mismanagement, you weren't paying attention.

I love hearing about this great talent we had, why couldn't we make the playoffs the 2 years before Herm got here and why did 3 coaches quit on us?(really 4 when you count BP after he declined an offer after Groh quit).

Just get over it, he's gone so you guys should be happy.

I'm not going to go through th game logs; we've done it exhaustively. Simply that this team had to scuffle to get in the playoffs in 2001 and 2002 was a disgrace. There were opportunities in each season to go further,and Hermie, any time it got close, effed it up.

I do hate the man.

He's a fraud and liar, and until he's reduced to picking up basketballs as rec supervisor at the Berkeley YMCA, he cannot lose and fail enough. I wish him nothing but misery. Because his 5 years here was a totally wasted opportunity. And as a franchise, we've had too damn many of those. BVut thsi was a toally unforced erro. You can say we weren't as good or as talented as the Pats, which is fair. but you can also say is that on the sidelines for 5 years the Jets had to not only overcome opponents but a complete idiot on their won sideline. Edwards was never stealing any games with his brilliance. And more often he was losing them with his imbecility. Simply I've seen better coaching in almost every one of my kids' Pop Warner and high school games than I ever saw in Herman Edwards, and I've seen a whole lot of Pop Warner and prep football.I find it scary that anyone in a position of power in the NFL would hire Herman Edwards to do anything more than pick up their drycleaning.

I'm not going to go through th game logs; we've done it exhaustively. Simply that this team had to scuffle to get in the playoffs in 2001 and 2002 was a disgrace. There were opportunities in each season to go further,and Hermie, any time it got close, effed it up.

I do hate the man.

He's a fraud and liar, and until he's reduced to picking up basketballs as rec supervisor at the Berkeley YMCA, he cannot lose and fail enough. I wish him nothing but misery. Because his 5 years here was a totally wasted opportunity. And as a franchise, we've had too damn many of those. BVut thsi was a toally unforced erro. You can say we weren't as good or as talented as the Pats, which is fair. but you can also say is that on the sidelines for 5 years the Jets had to not only overcome opponents but a complete idiot on their won sideline. Edwards was never stealing any games with his brilliance. And more often he was losing them with his imbecility. Simply I've seen better coaching in almost every one of my kids' Pop Warner and high school games than I ever saw in Herman Edwards, and I've seen a whole lot of Pop Warner and prep football.I find it scary that anyone in a position of power in the NFL would hire Herman Edwards to do anything more than pick up their drycleaning.

We must have had all-time great talent then for us to win as much as we did w/ Herm. I gues we would hve averaged 14 wins a year and won 3-4 SBs if we had a competent coach, right?

The reason why it's still annoying is that he has not been exposed for the fraud he is..and he continues to walk around as a ****y bastard who really thinks he is some sort of coaching genius..when in fact..he is a moron..I never got so aggravated watching the Jets as I did during his term as coach..and if you can still not see the night and day difference between Herm and Parcells..and Between Herm and Mangini..then you are a blind man..

We didn't have all time talent,but we had some talent. The difference between good and great NFL teams is coaching. And Edwards never coached anybody up from their level to a higher level. Spare a 3rd tiebreaker in 2002, Edwards never coached the jets past the Pats. we've been through it; this team was always in a postion to do damage unti, it tripped on it's feet and fell abck. And it happened over and over.

Thnink of it like this-Edwards is about 47-48,and has been involved with football almost everyday for 30 years. And yet he still doesn't know how the clock or timeouts work, things prep and PW coaches know how to do on Day 1 of their first practice. That's like working in an a office for 30 years and not knowing where the bathroom or coffee machine is.

We must have had all-time great talent then for us to win as much as we did w/ Herm. I gues we would hve averaged 14 wins a year and won 3-4 SBs if we had a competent coach, right?

With a good coach in 2004 most notably we would have won both PIT games and at least been competitive with NE. With Herm we were nowhere near either of them

We didn't have all time talent,but we had some talent. The difference between good and great NFL teams is coaching. And Edwards never coached anybody up from their level to a higher level. Spare a 3rd tiebreaker in 2002, Edwards never coached the jets past the Pats. we've been through it; this team was always in a postion to do damage unti, it tripped on it's feet and fell abck. And it happened over and over.

In '02 we went up to foxboro and beat up NE so we earned it. Do I think w/ our '98 coaching staff we could have made a SB run? probably but who out there available could have led us?

With a good coach in 2004 most notably we would have won both PIT games and at least been competitive with NE. With Herm we were nowhere near either of them

We had an O led by a QB w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder, our O scored 3 points. It was a tremendous job that we even had a chance and our K blew it for us.

It's amazing how some guys can't let go. He's not our HC anymore, why are you still exerting so much energy blindly defending him?

What's amazing is that should work BOTH ways - and it doesn't. I've said that countless times before. Old High School boyfriends with their faces scribbled out with a Bic pen, it's history. The difference between keeping the Herm Steamroller alive and harping on Belifraud is that Herm gave us a gift by leaving. Who cares if Herm lied like hell now? It was time for him to go, and people should be happy.

"He sat on Cotchery." "He ran Curtis Martin to death." Etc., etc. Yeah, and a handful of other reasons to be upset if he was STILL here. But he isn't.

In '02 we went up to foxboro and beat up NE so we earned it. Do I think w/ our '98 coaching staff we could have made a SB run? probably but who out there available could have led us?

We had an O led by a QB w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder, our O scored 3 points. It was a tremendous job that we even had a chance and our K blew it for us.

Our kicker did stink up the place.

Had we given the carries that Martin had, to Lamont....Jets = W

First and foremost, it's fun. Herman Edwards is a source of amusement for many people. I enjoy it when Sperm or Bugg or Green Balls or SJ et al post an article or a comment about Herm, and I know they get a kick out of it when I post one, as well. Herm is our 'Page 6'. Some people like to follow the daily adventures of Paris Hilton, for us it's Hermy. I don't read page 6 in the daily news, I go right past it. But it doesn't bother me that its there.

Second of all, I'm never going to let self appointed spokemen for Jets fans off the hook for putting their own selfish agenda and self aggrandizement ahead of whats best for the team. And I won't allow them to revise history, because now it's all of a sudden dujour and politically correct (indeed, politically expedient) to bash Herm. F that.

Look at the number of regulars here at JN who were banned from JI or became persona non grata exclusively for criticising Herman Edwards. Indeed, Bob, GOB, Jetman67 and myself were all at one time moderators on that board.

It was transparently obvious that our replacements had as a prerequisite that criticism of Herm and his minister of propaganda, Mark Canizzaro was verbotten.

It's amazing how some guys can't let go. He's not our HC anymore, why are you still exerting so much energy blindly defending him?

I can respect a guy like nyjunc, because he stands behind his conviction. He defended Herm when he was here, and continues to defend him now that he's gone.

I can repect guys who defended Herm while he was here, but have seen the error in that thinking, acknowledged it and have done an about face, with contrition.

What I can't respect is the people who sucked Herms *ss for 5 years, trashed anybody who criticised him, won't cop to it, and who are now bashing Herm now that it's become convenient. Those guys really make me sick.

HERM BASHING TODAY, HERM BASHING TOMORROW, HERM BASHING FOREVER

I will never stop bashing that loser. Don't like it, don't read the thread.

Exactly...Its not like you're forced to read a thread about Herm the Worm.

Unlike we were forced to have that fraud as a head coach for 5 years ;)

I can respect a guy like nyjunc, because he stands behind his conviction. He defended Herm when he was here, and continues to defend him now that he's gone.

I can repect guys who defended Herm while he was here, but have seen the error in that thinking, acknowledged it and have done an about face, with contrition.

What I can't respect is the people who sucked Herms *ss for 5 years, trashed anybody who criticised him, won't cop to it, and who are now bashing Herm now that it's become convenient. Those guys really make me sick.

I agree with NYJUNC. I don't think Herm was as bad as people portrary.

That being said, I'm glad Magini's our coach.

Amen Moses. What annoys the hell out of me is exactly what you said. Its like the 200,000 people who claim to have been at a sporting event in an arena that only held 60,000! Now 95% of Jets fans bash Herm. Lets harken back to 2002 0r 3 or 4. God forbid you bashed Herm (as I have since mid 2001)..you were branded a "hater" or told you were nuts because we nveer had it so good. Nevbermind showing how we snuck in, you were constantly reminded of "3 of 4" ad nauseum.

I totally disagree but do have a smidgen of respect for thse who still defend that Fraud...at least they are consistent. Wrong...but consistent. But much ike Cannizzaro, there are a LOT of Jets fans who got pissed about how Herm left and now suddenyl are saying they hated him all along.

Funny, when I posted my hatred of Herm on JA or JI, I was BASHED by a great majority of posters. Not sure what it was like here so I won't copmment on that. But while some at JA have admitted to their mistaken support of that phoney, almost NO ONE at JI can admit they were wrong aout the guy and now bash him like they thought he was sh*t from Day 1.

BL on Herm. He was handed a team coming off a 9-7 sesaon (one in hwhc we were 2 plays away from being 11-5 and a playoff team) and had just inhewrited 4 #1 picks. He took that team and was WILDLY inconsistent even in his sucessful years. His teams were unprepared, started nearly every season flat, and his inability to even SLIGHTLY be a decent coach rvented any in game adjustemnt or truly inciteful strategy. He threw coaches and players under the bus tp protect himself. He lowered the bar to make his achivements look more impressive (anyone recall the ridiculous hubub over the 5-0 start in 2004??). He used the media to buld up his phney persona and to protect him form being exposed as a incompetent fraud. He never learned on the job, never got any better at his craft, and couldnt master even the simplest aspects of being a HC. He was good for an ocasional off the wall soundbite and never hesitated to let you know how mush HE had accomplished. He preached honor and integrity...then showed neither as he slithered out of town just as he reaized things were going to take a turn for the worse. At the end of the day, he rode a talented veteran team until he could ride it no more. He did nothing to develop it futrther and then abandoned it when it became apparant he might actually have to BUILD somehitng on his own. He was handed a veteran team in KC also...only that ones shelf life is considerably shorter and I guarantee he will be gone wihtin 2 years.

Jet fans SHOULD revile and hate Herman Edwards. He wasted our window. With the takent we had, with a real HC we probably make a Super Bowl during that run. Instead, we were stuck with a snake oil slaesman who was brutally outcoached in nearly every menaingful game he was on the sidleines for us. As far as I am concerned, his is and will always be public enemy #1A...more then Keyshawn, more the Kotite, more then Walton. Hermy and Bellicheck are the two biggest scum bags in the history of the franchise.

Amen Moses. What annoys the hell out of me is exactly what you said. Its like the 200,000 people who claim to have been at a sporting event in an arena that only held 60,000! Now 95% of Jets fans bash Herm. Lets harken back to 2002 0r 3 or 4. God forbid you bashed Herm (as I have since mid 2001)..you were branded a "hater" or told you were nuts because we nveer had it so good. Nevbermind showing how we snuck in, you were constantly reminded of "3 of 4" ad nauseum.

I totally disagree but do have a smidgen of respect for thse who still defend that Fraud...at least they are consistent. Wrong...but consistent. But much ike Cannizzaro, there are a LOT of Jets fans who got pissed about how Herm left and now suddenyl are saying they hated him all along.

Funny, when I posted my hatred of Herm on JA or JI, I was BASHED by a great majority of posters. Not sure what it was like here so I won't copmment on that. But while some at JA have admitted to their mistaken support of that phoney, almost NO ONE at JI can admit they were wrong aout the guy and now bash him like they thought he was sh*t from Day 1.

BL on Herm. He was handed a team coming off a 9-7 sesaon (one in hwhc we were 2 plays away from being 11-5 and a playoff team) and had just inhewrited 4 #1 picks. He took that team and was WILDLY inconsistent even in his sucessful years. His teams were unprepared, started nearly every season flat, and his inability to even SLIGHTLY be a decent coach rvented any in game adjustemnt or truly inciteful strategy. He threw coaches and players under the bus tp protect himself. He lowered the bar to make his achivements look more impressive (anyone recall the ridiculous hubub over the 5-0 start in 2004??). He used the media to buld up his phney persona and to protect him form being exposed as a incompetent fraud. He never learned on the job, never got any better at his craft, and couldnt master even the simplest aspects of being a HC. He was good for an ocasional off the wall soundbite and never hesitated to let you know how mush HE had accomplished. He preached honor and integrity...then showed neither as he slithered out of town just as he reaized things were going to take a turn for the worse. At the end of the day, he rode a talented veteran team until he could ride it no more. He did nothing to develop it futrther and then abandoned it when it became apparant he might actually have to BUILD somehitng on his own. He was handed a veteran team in KC also...only that ones shelf life is considerably shorter and I guarantee he will be gone wihtin 2 years.

Jet fans SHOULD revile and hate Herman Edwards. He wasted our window. With the takent we had, with a real HC we probably make a Super Bowl during that run. Instead, we were stuck with a snake oil slaesman who was brutally outcoached in nearly every menaingful game he was on the sidleines for us. As far as I am concerned, his is and will always be public enemy #1A...more then Keyshawn, more the Kotite, more then Walton. Hermy and Bellicheck are the two biggest scum bags in the history of the franchise.

Great points all around.

Everybody with the exception of the OJ jury knows that Deegan and Canizzaro engaged a calculated agenda to protect Herm's image.

I tried to give Herm the benefit of the doubt at various junctures during his dubious tenure as the Jets HC. The running theme was he "needed time to learn" and with time, he would improve. The problem is, he never did. He benefitted enough from fortunate circumstances at the most opportune moments (recall the "sht happens" AFCE championship), and this always skewered the quantifiable elements of his true skill or level of competency concerning his duties as a HC. When the man behind the curtain came close to being outted, he grabbed a convenient scapegoat and threw him under the bus.

It's six years later, and Herm is doing the same ol' same ol' in KC.

In my estimation, the historical record demonstrates a guy who was hired for a job he was not qualified for. Six years later, and he's still in over his head.

I never hated Herm. I thought over the years he didn't improve and it was time for a change, but I still don't hate the guy.

As far as him inheriting a winner. That's kind of BS.

The Jets were a team in turmoil. Parcells last season ended out of the playoffs with an aging team and QB and injuries.. BB came in for a day and left, left the Jets up the creek and then Al Groh came in. They started the season great, but then lost most of their games as the season ended. Al Groh left for Virginia and the Jets were again, in turmoil.

To say the Jets were in good hands is just plain wrong. Yeah there were many good players on this Jets team, but the fact was, they missed the playoffs two seasons in a row before Herm, and 3 head coaches left the Jets in turmoil and as a running joke around the NFL. A team nobody wanted to coach or be a part of.

He won the division title his first season.

But after that, while the Jets made the playoffs, he didn't improve as a coach and the team really didn't improve.

So while I agree that in the end, a change was needed, it wasn't like the Jets were some great dynasty when he took over.

I never hated Herm. I thought over the years he didn't improve and it was time for a change, but I still don't hate the guy.

As far as him inheriting a winner. That's kind of BS.

The Jets were a team in turmoil. Parcells last season ended out of the playoffs with an aging team and QB and injuries.. BB came in for a day and left, left the Jets up the creek and then Al Groh came in. They started the season great, but then lost most of their games as the season ended. Al Groh left for Virginia and the Jets were again, in turmoil.

To say the Jets were in good hands is just plain wrong. Yeah there were many good players on this Jets team, but the fact was, they missed the playoffs two seasons in a row before Herm, and 3 head coaches left the Jets in turmoil and as a running joke around the NFL. A team nobody wanted to coach or be a part of.

He won the division title his first season.

But after that, while the Jets made the playoffs, he didn't improve as a coach and the team really didn't improve.

So while I agree that in the end, a change was needed, it wasn't like the Jets were some great dynasty when he took over.

People can dislike Herm at their own intensity...I happen to hate the man because he is the epitome of evrhting wrong these days. He was all style and no substance.

But do NOT discount the taklent he ingherited. This team was in turmoil in the FO...NOT on the field. This tea had 2 starting QBs, a 1000 yard feature back, a #1 pick WR, a #1 pick at TE, a solid OL incoudijng a prto bowl C, two young #1s on the DL, Jones and Lewis still playing well, Glenn, Coleman and Green in the seocondaryy. They missed the playoffs in 1999 because their QB went down in week 1 and Tuna didnt replace him...yet when Lucas stepped in they went 7-2...you teling me that team doesnt make the playoffs if Vinny stays healthy? In 2000 they started 6-1, went into a funk but were a chippy Hall FG and a terrible Vinny pick away from being 11-5. Thise were playoff talented teams Herm inherited...NOTHING like what Mangini just took over.

Herm did NOT win a divsion title his first year...he snuck in as a 6 seed. In year 2 he won a divsion title with a 9-7 record on the 3rd tie break ONLY after Chad bailed him out of a 2-4 start.

No the Jets were not some great dynasty...but they were a playoff talented team that SHOULD have gotten better and made a run. Insdtead we got Herm wh did nothig to improve the team, did not develop any young players, changed personell 3 different times to suit his latest "needs", and then once it became apparant he was going to be exposed...he took off.

You dont have to hate him...I do. But dont manipulate the facts under whihc he arrived. That team was laden wht tlent in their prime as well as 4 #1 picks and Lav Coles going into their second years. What Herm inherited in both NY and KC was FAR better then what just about any first time HC inheits...and he did NOTHING to make it any better. He just rode it into the ground.

Archived