Hams 2 RD Mock with comments

Green Jets & Ham

==

01. RAIDERS – JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU

Impressive physical speciman with an absolute cannon for an arm, and he has some Gunslinger in him too

==

02. LIONS – Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame

When you don't have a franchise QB and you have an opportunity to draft one, only a fool takes a pass

==

03. BROWNS – Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma

Romeo fights for the franchise back who will touch the ball 20+ times PG {immediately} and may save his job

==

04. BUCCANEERS – Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech

Bucs need help everywhere, including wideout, so they take the playmaker who has a chance to be Great

==

05. CARDINALS – Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin

This has to be the scenario Arizona is praying for, and they might get their wish

==

06. REDSKINS – Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas

6' 6"/280 with the frame to easily carry 290+, heck of an athlete/player, and that is the gold standard for DE's

==

07. VIKINGS – Alan Branch, DT, Michigan

Pat Williams showed Minnesota {#1 run defense} the value of a run stuffing mountain man, but BIG PAT is 35

==

08. TEXANS – Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville

This kid is only 19 Years old and he's already a dynamite player, but his upside is through the roof

==

09. DOLPHINS – Gaines Adams, DE/OLB, Clemson

The Dolphins wanted one of those DT's in the worst way, and I'm sure they expected Minny to take Adams

==

10. FALCONS – Reggie Nelson, S, Florida

The need at Safety is massive and Reggie is exactly the kind of playmaker they had in mind

==

11. 49ERS – Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska

Sorry Jet fans, Mike Nolan needs a 34DE too, and I suspect this is where he ends the suspense

==

12. BILLS – Levi Brown, OT, Penn State

The Bills will be hoping to plug him in at RT immediately and leave him there for ten years

==

13. RAMS – LaRon Landry, S, LSU

After that beatdown in the Sugar Bowl Brady Quinn has been singing Landry's praises, and the Rams agree

==

14. PANTHERS – Ted Ginn, WR, Ohio State

If they insist upon doubling Steve Smith, and they do, let's see if we can make that a costly proposition

==

15. STEELERS – Jarvis Moss, DE/OLB, Florida

Gotta hand it to the Steelers, they don't reach for needs, they draft the BAP's who fit their schemes

==

16. PACKERS – Marshawn Lynch, RB, California

I think everyone on the net is projecting Lynch to the Packers, because it makes so much sense

==

17. JAGUARS – Lawrence Timmons, OLB, Florida State

It's time to reload at OLB and they need look no further than their own backyard to find a darn good one

==

18. BENGALS – Leon Hall, CB, Michigan

Hall starts the trend towards drafting high character players who will NOT make news for all the wrong reasons

==

19. TITANS – Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC

They're hoping Dwyane Jarrett can give the franchise {Vince Young} his GO TO GUY

==

20. GIANTS – Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh

It's time to reload at Corner and they get a good one here, who doubles as an exciting return man

==

21. BRONCOS – Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia

Their need at CB is somewhat exaggerated in my view, but they can really use an upgrade at DE

==

22. COWBOYS – Tank Tyler, DT, NC State

Bit of a reach, but the Cowboys are desperate with an aging/ineffective Fergy being all they have at the nose

==

23. CHIEFS – Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU

The Chiefs are a mess at WR and along the O-line, so they opt for the BAP at a position of need

==

24. PATRIOTS – Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State

The Pats need to get younger at linebacker and this kid is a Patriots linebacker from the word GO

==

25. NY JETS - Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas

Not what they anticipated, but the Jets see an opportunity to snatch a Bump & Run Shutdown Corner and Grab it

==

26. EAGLES – Patrick Willis, LB, Ole Miss

Trotter is getting long in the tooth and in the meantime Willis has the versatility to play inside or out

==

27. SAINTS – Josh Wilson, CB, Maryland

If they never see Fred Thomas again that will be too soon, so they race to select the diminutive speedster

==

28. PATRIOTS – Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina

Rule #1, and even BB is not arrogant enough to ignore it .. Gotta keep the franchise {Tom Brady} happy

==

29. RAVENS – LaMarr Woodley, DE/OLB, Michigan

Might seem like a reach, but I love this projection. Woodley has "Ozzie Newsome Player" written all over him

==

30. CHARGERS – Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee

After watching his wideouts choke away their SB aspirations, AJ Smith waited all day to pick the BA-WR

==

31. BEARS – Aaron Sears, OL, Tennessee

OG Ruben Brown and RT Fred Miller are both pushing 35, so I would imagine the Bears will be proactive

==

32. COLTS – Jon Beason, OLB, Miami

Cato June is a free agent and Jon Beason is a perfect candidate to replace him .. excellent fit

==

==

33. RAIDERS – Tony Ugoh, OT, Arkansas

If Ugoh is committed it's a steal, he has 1st RD ability and LT skills, but there are questions about his desire

==

34. LIONS – Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan

Another player with LT skills. This one will require some patience, but the payoff could be huge

==

35. BROWNS – Daymeion Hughes, CB, California

Gary Baxter is breaking down and there isn't much to speak of after Leigh Bodden .. Hughes is a ballhawk

==

36. BUCCANEERS – Anthony Spencer, DE/OLB, Purdue

Best fits at 34 OLB, but Gruden could care less, he's a good player and they'll try him at both spots in the 43

==

37. NY JETS - Justin Blalock, OL, Texas

After just missing out on Spencer, Tangini regroups and opts for the massive Road Grader at OG or RT

==

38. CARDINALS - Michael Griffin, S, Texas

The board is falling nicely for the Cards as they fill two big needs with solid value picks as well

==

39. TEXANS -Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami

Serious character concerns, but he's a first round talent, probably a better talent than Griffin

==

40. DOLPHINS - Brandon Mebane, DT, California

They just missed out on the DT's in the TOP 10, but they secure a pretty good one here

==

41. VIKINGS - Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio State

The Vikings would be thrilled if they could walk away with Gonzalez here, filling a huge need with nice value

==

42. 49ERS - Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State

Ditto the 49ers, this would be another nice value pick at a position of need

==

43. BILLS - Zach Miller, TE, Arizona State

This would be a steal for the Bills, another value/need pick, and they'd probably make it in two seconds flat

==

44. FALCONS - Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn

After filling their need at Safety the Falcons waste no time addressing the O-line with another excellent value pick

==

45. PANTHERS - Eric Weddle, S, Utah

Mike Minter is 32 Years old and it's time for an upgrade, which makes Weddle an excellent choice

==

46. STEELERS - Ryan Kalil, C, USC

Jeff Hartings is 35 Years old and it's time to look towards the future, which the Steelers always do well

==

47. PACKERS - Aaron Ross, CB, Texas

After plucking Marshawn Lynch, I would imagine GB would be happy to find Ross on the board for them here

==

48. JAGUARS - Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College

They addressed the need at OLB, now they address the need for an interior lineman

==

49. BENGALS - Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame

Once again it's strong character on the defensive side of the ball for Cinci

==

50. TITANS - Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee

Haynesworth is on thin ice so they might opt for a DT here, and it might be the hometown boy

==

51. GIANTS - Quinn Pitc0ck, DT, Ohio State

Michael Bush is too similar to Brandon Jacobs, so they address the need for a DT and look for a Scatback later

==

52. RAMS - Quentin Moses, DE/OLB, Georgia

Finally the STL Rams mercifully end the longest day in Quentin Moses's life

==

53. COWBOYS - Dan Bazuin, DE/OLB, Central Michigan

They already have DeMarcus Ware, but on the other side sits a 32 Year old Al Singleton and Bazuin is BAP value

==

54. CHIEFS - Manuel Ramirez, OG, Texas Tech

The Chiefs will not allow two rounds to pass without taking an OL, so they reach slightly for Shields successor

==

55. SEAHAWKS - Aaron Rouse, S, VaTech

FS Ken Hamlin is a FA and while Rouse may be better suited at SS, the Hawks will take that gamble on this stud

==

56. BRONCOS - Michael Bush, RB, Louisville

Gone are the days when Denver ran roughshod over the league, and I'm certain Shanahan misses those days

==

57. EAGLES - Brian Leonard, FB/RB, Rutgers

Buckhalter is a free agent and BL can slide right in as the new multi-purpose back to compliment Westbrook

==

58. SAINTS - Brandon Siler, LB, Florida

They didn't get a backer in RD 1, it was more important to replace Fred Thomas, but they get a good one here

==

59. NY JETS - Antonio Johnson, DE, Mississippi State

6' 3"/305 Pound College DT who projects well to 34DE in the Pros, and he could turn into a steal for the Jets

==

60. PATRIOTS - Jay Moore, DE/OLB, Nebraska

Let the youth movement begin as the Pats continue to stock up on white linebackers :D

==

61. RAVENS - Troy Smith, QB, Ohio State

McNair is about cooked, one more year at the most, but he can leave his mark in Baltimore if he grooms TS well

==

62. CHARGERS - HB Blades, ILB, Pittsburgh

Godfrey and Edwards are both approaching 34 at the same time, so they add the son of Bennie Blades

==

63. BEARS - Marshal Yanda, OL, Iowa

The Bears continue to address the O-line in the hopes that Sears and Yanda will nail down RT and OG in some order

==

64. BUCCANEERS - Tim Crowder, DE, Texas

Bucs continue to address the front-seven with their two 2's after plucking Calvin Johnson in RD 1

==

When i read your comment on the Lions pick of Quinn, i couldn't help but think to myself, "which is exactly why they pick a WR" lol

But as far as the jets picks go, don't know much about the first rounder, but ive seen a lot of people say that Blalock was talked about going in the 1st round, so im sure taking him with that 1st pick in the 2nd round would be real nice...a 3rd lineman could make that unit VERY good next year, open up some more running lanes for whoever carries the ball next year.

When i read your comment on the Lions pick of Quinn, i couldn't help but think to myself, "which is exactly why they pick a WR" lol

But as far as the jets picks go, don't know much about the first rounder, but ive seen a lot of people say that Blalock was talked about going in the 1st round, so im sure taking him with that 1st pick in the 2nd round would be real nice...a 3rd lineman could make that unit VERY good next year, open up some more running lanes for whoever carries the ball next year.

That was a good list. Drafting a CB in the first round always scares me, those guys are so hard to find. If we land Blalock in the second i'd be running around the living room...i dind't know he doubled as a RT?

BTW, you really think the Panthers would take a reciever? Their Linebacking corps is a mess, Rucker is old. I think they go Defense first round, probably snap up a good Backer, or DT.

First a lot of hard work goes into doing this so Ham kudos to you.

The Lions are insuinating they are not taking a QB- knowing Millen he will do something wrong.

After taking Miller and his progress so far at CB I am gun shy on CB for the Jets in the first round.

Also,

04. BUCCANEERS – Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech

Bucs need help everywhere, including wideout, so they take the playmaker who has a chance to be Great

Steal of the draft. Bucs got very lucky that the top 3 do not need a WR. this man has HOF written on him

Save for the fact that Quinn is a Notre Dame grad, can you name one good reason why anyone in the top ten should take him? I mean... he has never won a big game. He isn't that great of a QB. In the big games, he choked. Weiss isn't that good of a coach. More importantly, he's not a Martz type QB. They're not taking Calvin Johnson either. Look for Joe Thomas or a DE.

25. Lamar Woodley

37. Justin Blalock or Aaron Sears

59. Drew Stanton

Did you see the 6'5 Greg Olsen standing next to Drew Stanton at the college skills competition yesterday? He towered over Staton - towered.

Stantons about 6'2. Not much bigger than Clemens, if at all. Just add him to your midget list, peternorth. :bag:

Anyways. As for the mock draft. I'll admit I have not seen Houston play, but I've heard some great things. I'd prefer to sign a corner in FA as drafting corners is hit or miss and seemingly nothing in between. I love the Blalock pick. Havent seen Antonio Johnson play so I'll take your word for it ham.

Did you see the 6'5 Greg Olsen standing next to Drew Stanton at the college skills competition yesterday? He towered over Staton - towered.

Stantons about 6'2. Not much bigger than Clemens, if at all. Just add him to your midget list, peternorth. :bag:

Anyways. As for the mock draft. I'll admit I have not seen Houston play, but I've heard some great things. I'd prefer to sign a corner in FA as drafting corners is hit or miss and seemingly nothing in between. I love the Blalock pick. Havent seen Antonio Johnson play so I'll take your word for it ham.

Drew Stanton > Kellen Clemens

Stanton is really 6'2. Well Clemens is frickin 6'2 going on 5'11. Wow, he was definitely worth us passing up on Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler.

Stanton sucks. That's an educated opinion, of someone who's seen the vast majority (80%) of the games he started. The other 20% were games he was injured in. He's injury prone, he can't win big games, and he's slightly better than Brady Quinn.

And he went to Michigan State. No one good has ever come from that college.

Drew Stanton > Kellen Clemens

Stanton is really 6'2. Well Clemens is frickin 6'2 going on 5'11. Wow, he was definitely worth us passing up on Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler.

Interesting. I didnt realize we took Clemens with the 4th overall pick!

Just stfu, you've never even seen Clemens play. You dont know jack sh#t about him.

Stanton sucks. That's an educated opinion, of someone who's seen the vast majority (80%) of the games he started. The other 20% were games he was injured in. He's injury prone, he can't win big games, and he's slightly better than Brady Quinn.

And he went to Michigan State. No one good has ever come from that college.

And we all know that Oregon is a stable for NFL franchise quarterbacks like Joey Harrington and Akili Smith.

How the hell is a 6'0 QB going to see over offensive and defensive linemen who are regularly 6'4 and above? How is he supposed to throw without hitting them in the head or getting his passes knocked down at the line of scrimmage? Maybe if he was like Michael Vick and spent 0 time in the pocket that would be ok but something tells me Kellen Clemens isn't as mobile as Vick.

And we all know that Oregon is a stable for NFL franchise quarterbacks like Joey Harrington and Akili Smith.

How the hell is a 6'0 QB going to see over offensive and defensive linemen who are regularly 6'4 and above? How is he supposed to throw without hitting them in the head or getting his passes knocked down at the line of scrimmage? Maybe if he was like Michael Vick and spent 0 time in the pocket that would be ok but something tells me Kellen Clemens isn't as mobile as Vick.

Gee, I don't know. Wait a minute, Let's ask Drew Brees, he seems to have that figured out. Or is 4,000 yards passing not good enough for you?

Face it, the Jets are not drating a QB this year. The have Chad, the guy they want in Clemens and a servicable backup in Ramsey. They are going to draft (or get in FA) a CB, pass rusher and a RT , probably in that order. Maybe a RB if one falls in their lap.

What does Oregon have to do with the fact that Stanton sucks? Nice try in deflecting the debate. Clemens may or may not be the answer, we don't know, but Stanton isn't. He'll end up with some sort of freak leg or shoulder injury every season.

So now Quinn sucks and Weis cannot coach? give me a break. Weis took over a program that was out of shape, non disciplined and poorly coached. He made the most out of the talent that he had and will need time to get talent in order to be any good. With that being said Quinn struggled a little this year mainly due to the O Line having problems and getting hammered throughout the game. Quinn was running a pro offense which cannot be said for alot of the qbs coming out. He has a step up on reading defenses and calling play.

I like Stanton better than Clemens. Stanton is shorter to 6 3 whilst Clemens is shorter to 6 2. However, I am not going to waste my time agruing this nonsense qb situation. Done is done. We are stuck with it. Like it or not.

Ham's Jets picks look good except Blalock. I am almost positively sure Jets wont take a mauler. Last year, I remembered someone claimed that Mangold was not a good mauler but Jets took him anyway and started him right away. I expect the same thing that will happen this year...

Thanks for all the great feedback, fellas .. much appreciated

I like how you got the Jets going O-line on day one, again. After 5 years of day 2 rejects like Cavka, Godwin, and the blockin' and brissin' fella, it shows that not only the FO but the fanbase has it's priorities in order. The Jets haven't drafted a CB in the first round since Aaron Glenn, so maybe the chips fall into place for that to happen in '07.

And we all know Vanderbilt is a stape for nfl franchise QBs. Tard.

Drew Brees? ever hear of him? I dont like Clemens height myself, but if he does bust it will not be because of his height.

And you've never seen him play, have you? You've failed to answer this question because you never have seen him play. Go look at all the retarded draft posts you made last year if you want a good laugh.

btw, here is peternorth 2 days before last years draft

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17232&highlight=draft

I want Vernon Davis at #4. However, if we take Ngata there or trade down for him I would still be happy.

ouch. And for all your Leinart love fest, he's another Chad Pennington, arm strength to brittleness, he's the whole Chad package.

btw, here is peternorth 2 days before last years draft

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17232&highlight=draft

ouch. And for all your Leinart love fest, he's another Chad Pennington, arm strength to brittleness, he's the whole Chad package.

Gotta love the search. Vernon Davis goes for 20 cathes last year.

If VD improves by 25% every year he will be a 30 catch TE in no time. He sure is fast though!!!

So now Quinn sucks and Weis cannot coach? give me a break. Weis took over a program that was out of shape, non disciplined and poorly coached. He made the most out of the talent that he had and will need time to get talent in order to be any good. With that being said Quinn struggled a little this year mainly due to the O Line having problems and getting hammered throughout the game. Quinn was running a pro offense which cannot be said for alot of the qbs coming out. He has a step up on reading defenses and calling play.

Name one big game either has won. Go ahead. Weis has never won a bowl game, or beaten USC, and fluked against Michigan (that's cause Lloyd Carr sucks, which i've been saying for years) and... that's about it. And Quinn has done next to zero. He has alot of hype, thanks to being a ND QB, and little else. I don't care about running a pro offense, which was quickly adjusted to by any half thinking college coach. Hell, who was the GT coach who almost beat ND? Chan Gailey?

I understand that Quinn is the ND QB and Weis is the ND coach... but that doesn't mean they're the greatest of all time.

Barton, the fact that you like Kellen Clemens makes me nervous. You cannot evaluate the quartback position:

Barton on Vince Young:

Hodge was just on football friday on espnews. Completely knocked Vince Young.

Said he would be a 1st rd draft pick if he moved to wide receiver.

And should be a 2nd day pick if he stays as a QB.

Said Kubiak and Casserly should be fired if they pick Young.

Said he's nowhere close to Vick in his athleticism, speed and quickness.

Said it would handicap a team to take him, because he will not be ready to play for at least 2 or 3 years, and might never be ready to play QB in the NFL.

DEnds and LBs in the NFL will easily chase him down.

Awesome job by Hodge.

He pretty much summed it up perfectly what myself and many others here have said about Vince Young........HE SUCKS.

And I stand by what I have said. I'll be shocked if Young is a top 5 pick. I'll believe it when I see it!”

01-05-2006 "I'll tell you why Young will suck in the NFL as a QB

When has he EVER gone under center, taken the snap, make a 7 step drop and hit a wide reciever going down the middle in decent covergae with a good pass??

With his mechanics, that btw arent easily correctable, he'll never be anything in the NFL as a QB. Defensive ends are faster than him."

11-26-2005 "Maybe its just me, but if I'm the GM of an NFL team I am not even considering Day 1 for Vince Young."

Wow, that was a dead on assessment you had there on good ol’ Vince.

Barton on Matt Leinart:

01-05-2006, “Leinart was MONEY in the 2nd half.

And his arm strength should not be questioned.”

09-29-2005 “I'd love for the Jets to get their hands on Matt Leinart”

Looks like you didn’t always think he was such a noodle arm.

Barton on Drew Stanton:

11-17-2005”I hear ya on Drew Stanton. I really like his overall game. I want to see how he handles pennstate this week. I dunno, I think he'd probably be better off staying in college for his senior season. "

Maybe you were right for once. Law of averages I suppose.

Archived