Joey Porter { Merged 5X }

Chargers | Porter interested in team

Sat, 3 Mar 2007 06:45:55 -0800

Mike Sullivan, of the North County Times, reports free agent LB Joey Porter (Steelers) is interested in playing for the San Diego Chargers, according to sources.

Does this make any sense to anyone? Shawne Merriman & Shaun Phillips are the best 1-2 34OLB punch in the NFL and both are signed to long term deals. Phillips emerged on the scene fully last season with 11 sacks and is still very young and just received I believe a 4 or 5 year extension.

As much as Joey may be interested, San Diego isn't going to be making a run at him... I think.:character42:

- I Say Yes to Porter

Posted on Fri, March 2, 2007 - 08:30PM by Matt Bonczek

Recently released 3-4 OLB Joey Porter would be a fantastic fit in the New York Jet green and white.

Now since Adalius Thomas is apparantly off the board before FA even begins, the Jets may pursue the 9-year veteran. He's recorded 60 sacks in those 9 seasons, and was arguably the best defensive player on Pittsburgh's Super Bowl winning defense in 2005.

Some believe that his age is an issue, but he really is the perfect age. He'll be 30 on week 1, only one year older then A. Thomas, who everyone was drooling to pursue. This gives him 2 or 3 years before his playing ability starts to take a dip, giving New York a few seasons to find an eventual replacement.

By signing Joey Porter, the Jets would be able to get rid of one of their major needs going into the draft. HB, OL, DE, NT, OLB, and CB are all desired positions on first day, but with only 4 picks the Jets cannot address them all. By taking OLB out of the first day equation, it will make drafting easier and help complete the team quicker, while allowing to take an OLB sleeper in the mid to late rounds such as Dan Bazuin (Central Michigan), Baraka Atkins (Miami), or C.J Ah You (Oklahoma).

Others say character is an issue and a Belichick-trained guy would never go low character, but Big Bill himself is actively pursuing Randy Moss. Character is very important, but Mangini sees the oppurtunity to get an All-Pro caliber player and he should take it. Also, wouldn't it be exciting to add some flavor on to a very dull-interviewing Jets team?

Bring Jerry Porter to New York.

here here I say do it...do SOMETHING before every half way decent FA is gone-Belichick is making moves-Porter and Travis Henry please Mike and Eric

- I Say Yes to Porter

Posted on Fri, March 2, 2007 - 08:30PM by Matt Bonczek

Recently released 3-4 OLB Joey Porter would be a fantastic fit in the New York Jet green and white.

Now since Adalius Thomas is apparantly off the board before FA even begins, the Jets may pursue the 9-year veteran. He's recorded 60 sacks in those 9 seasons, and was arguably the best defensive player on Pittsburgh's Super Bowl winning defense in 2005.

Some believe that his age is an issue, but he really is the perfect age. He'll be 30 on week 1, only one year older then A. Thomas, who everyone was drooling to pursue. This gives him 2 or 3 years before his playing ability starts to take a dip, giving New York a few seasons to find an eventual replacement.

By signing Joey Porter, the Jets would be able to get rid of one of their major needs going into the draft. HB, OL, DE, NT, OLB, and CB are all desired positions on first day, but with only 4 picks the Jets cannot address them all. By taking OLB out of the first day equation, it will make drafting easier and help complete the team quicker, while allowing to take an OLB sleeper in the mid to late rounds such as Dan Bazuin (Central Michigan), Baraka Atkins (Miami), or C.J Ah You (Oklahoma).

Others say character is an issue and a Belichick-trained guy would never go low character, but Big Bill himself is actively pursuing Randy Moss. Character is very important, but Mangini sees the oppurtunity to get an All-Pro caliber player and he should take it. Also, wouldn't it be exciting to add some flavor on to a very dull-interviewing Jets team?

Bring Jerry Porter to New York.

here here I say do it...do SOMETHING before every half way decent FA is gone-Belichick is making moves-Porter and Travis Henry please Mike and Eric

Sofla i'm with you, we need to do something. Whether its a running back, Porter, I want to sign someone damnit!

This article portrays the Jets pursuit of Porter in a much different light than what Cimini had written.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/03/02/porter/index.html

Though he belatedly joined this year's free-agent class -- upon being released by Pittsburgh in a Thursday afternoon salary cap move -- it didn't take Steelers outside linebacker Joey Porter long to generate interest on the open market.

According to a source close to Porter, at least seven teams have made contact to inquire about the three-time Pro Bowl selection, and they read like a who's who of the NFL's 3-4 defensive formation stalwarts: New England, the Jets, Baltimore, San Francisco, Dallas, Cleveland and Miami.

Porter has yet to schedule any visits, and probably won't do so until early next week. Having somewhat unexpectedly been granted free agency, after the Steelers investigated trades involving him in recent days, Porter is content to let his market develop over the weekend, knowing that most NFL teams have not yet spent time breaking down his 2006 game films.

The market for Porter is also somewhat related to the one that has developed for Baltimore outside linebacker Adalius Thomas, one of the most sought-after prospects in this year's free-agent crop. The teams that are not successful in landing Thomas, who also fits the 3-4 linebacker mold, almost certainly will step up their pursuit of Porter. So, while New England, San Francisco and the Jets are considered the most aggressive suitors of Thomas, two of them will likely turn their attention quickly to Porter if the ex-Ravens star signs.

The Jets are known to be one of several teams that talked to the Steelers in recent days about a trade for Porter, and Cleveland head coach Romeo Crennel was quoted Thursday night expressing interest in his former division rival.

Interestingly, in a head-to-head comparison of Thomas and Porter, the ex-Steeler fares quite well. Both players will turn 30 this year, with Porter, a eight-year NFL veteran, reaching the milestone in March, and Thomas, a seven-year pro, in August. Porter owns 60 career sacks and three Pro Bowl berths, to Thomas' 38 1/2 and one all-star appearance, which came after his breakthrough 2006 season, when he totaled a career-best 11 sacks.

Unlike past years in free agency, the size of this year's salary cap ($109 million) is so large that teams are expected to have significant money to spend even after the usual mega-deals are struck in the opening three to five days of the NFL's annual personnel shopping spree. With that in mind, Porter's camp prefers to not "rush the market,'' believing that enough teams will have unmet needs and open coffers throughout next week.

Porter was scheduled to receive $4 million in salary this season in Pittsburgh, and was due a $1 million roster bonus in early March. While there was real debate internally within the Steelers front office regarding whether the team should part ways with Porter, it was decided that Pittsburgh did not want to take the risk of giving the 29-year-old another long-term deal with a potential eight-figure bonus.

Sources say Steelers decision makers had the contract situation of ex-Pittsburgh linebacker Jason Gildon in mind when they made the call on Porter. In 2002, the Steelers gave Gildon, their career sack leader, a five-year, $23 million contract, then released him two years into the deal in a cap move. The idea of re-signing Porter to such a significant contract at a similar point in his career scared some in Pittsburgh's front office.

advertisement_down.gif

Last year, Porter asked the Steelers to re-visit his contract situation, but the club rebuffed him, citing its longstanding policy against extending contracts that have more than one year remaining on them. Faced with having Porter enter the final year of his deal in 2007, and aware that former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher had assured him that his contract situation would be addressed this year, the Steelers felt Porter deserved a chance to reach the free-agent market now.

While some scouts within the league have questioned whether Porter has lost some of the explosiveness that made him one of the league's most dangerous pass rushers throughout this decade, others contend that he remains a premier play-maker whose skills are not in any noticeable decline. Porter had a team-best seven sacks and two interceptions in just 14 games for Pittsburgh last season, a year after tying his career-high with 10½ sacks in the Steelers' Super Bowl season of 2005.

Said one league observer: "He's a vocal guy and sometimes controversial, but no one has ever denied that he comes to play every week. Him not being in Pittsburgh any more was not about him not being to play any more.''

• In other free agency news, Vikings linebacker Napoleon Harris made a visit to Tampa Bay on Friday, and has received interest in having visits with Buffalo, Kansas City and Atlanta.

• Dallas and former Cardinals offensive tackle Leonard Davis are deep into negotiations, league sources said Friday. Talks have hit a snag on Davis' request for a $12 million signing bonus and a deal that averages $5 million per season. Davis is Dallas' first choice to replace offensive tackle Marc Colombo, who was allowed to test the free-agent market this week.

• The Bucs and former Giants offensive tackle Luke Petitgout are negotiating Friday, but are not believed to be close to a deal at this point. Tampa Bay is balking at some of Petitgout's contract demands, a source said.

• Former Atlanta defensive end Patrick Kerney started his free-agent tour in Denver on Friday, but is leaving the Broncos' offices without a deal in place. Kerney is headed for Seattle tonight, where he is scheduled to have dinner with Seahawks officials.

Joey Porter would immediately improve this defense and at least would give us a chance at improving from last season, especially on the defensive side of the ball. There is nothing wrong or no bad side to bringing in Porter. Sign him up and lets get some toughness, leadership and ****iness in this lockerroom for a change.

hmm.. guess the jets are active in free agency but just quiet about it. Interesting.

Dont tell MadMike that... he thinks becuase he doesnt hear of anythign that our FO is sitting aorund doing nothing.. :roll:

Joey Porter would immediately improve this defense and at least would give us a chance at improving from last season, especially on the defensive side of the ball. There is nothing wrong or no bad side to bringing in Porter. Sign him up and lets get some toughness, leadership and ****iness in this lockerroom for a change.

Yes, Porter would be a BIG upgrade to our defense... with him and BThomas on the outside our LB's would get much better... This would also help Vilma I think to, he is the leader of our D and Porter can lighten that load.

BRING JOEY PORTER TO THE NYJ!!!

That is the rumor going on right now...

I'm surprised..

I thought he would be a perfect fit for the Jets.

If he goes to Miami then every AFC east team would have made a big impact in free agency.

Oh well.. Im with Smizzy

Tangini's already won me over in spite of me

Dont be alarmed if I fall head over feet

Dont be surprised if I love you for all that you are

I couldnt help it

Its all your fault

Where are those rumors coming from BoomBoom?

Miami and Cleveland certainly would be good fits for Joey since they both run the 34 as well as the Jets but where do you find those two teams the favorites?

I absolutely 100% agree.Joey Porter adds a dimension to the defense that would make this unit 1 of the best in the league.Plus I like his ATTITUDE and TOUGHNESS.

Im with ya...i want Porter in here. Get Porter, Grab a DE in the draft to replace Kimo, and our defense is leaps and bounds better than last year automatically.

Archived