Drafting a Tight End with our #1

TaborJet

I dunno. I think I'm starting to feel good about drafting a TE with the first pick. I know there are more glaring needs, like a RT, a DE, and a CB. But I see a lot of mock drafts have us taking a TE, and more specifically, Greg Olsen from Miami. Has anyone watched this kid? I think Chad and the Jets offense can really benefit from a play-making TE. When was the last time we had one here? Johnny Mitchell? Mickey Shuler? I know that former number 1 picks Brady and Becht have left a sour taste in Jets fan's mouths, but what does everyone think?

I dunno. I think I'm starting to feel good about drafting a TE with the first pick. I know there are more glaring needs, like a RT, a DE, and a CB. But I see a lot of mock drafts have us taking a TE, and more specifically, Greg Olsen from Miami. Has anyone watched this kid? I think Chad and the Jets offense can really benefit from a play-making TE. When was the last time we had one here? Johnny Mitchell? Mickey Shuler? I know that former number 1 picks Brady and Becht have left a sour taste in Jets fan's mouths, but what does everyone think?

I could see that happening. It all depends on who is left on the board at that point.

I believe the Jets will take the best player available and if that happens to be Olsen then the Jets will take him.

Don't give up on Baker just yet. IMO: He is not being used properly in the offense.

I could see that happening. It all depends on who is left on the board at that point.

I believe the Jets will take the best player available and if that happens to be Olsen then the Jets will take him.

Don't give up on Baker just yet. IMO: He is not being used properly in the offense.

yeah but thats because the jets mostly play out of 1 TE formation, and also the receivers get open quicker. he is only 6-3. greg olsen is 6-6 and is more faster

TE is nowhere near enough of a pressing need to waste the first round pick on in my opinion. We still need THREE o linemen before we start to worry about TE's. They owe themselves with the money they have given Tom Jones, to give him a line to run behind.

How can anyone let the past dictate the future? So no matter what tight end is available to the Jets in the first round from here to the end of time is a bust? Yeah right.

Look, my first choice would be either a corner or someone on the defensive line. But if there is a higher rated player on the Jets draft board, why pass? Countless posts on here document Chad's inability to throw the deep out to a receiver. Chad's strength is across the middle, with short to medium-range passes. This is exactly where a play-making tight end comes in. A TE adds that dimension the Jets have been lacking for years. I don't think Baker is the answer, either. Enough time has been wasted on him.

If Olsen is sitting there when the Jets go to the podium, I'll be happy if he gets selected.

Greg Olsen has alot of talent, and as a casual hurricane fan myself, I like him. That being said, he has so many doug jolleyesque qualties about him that I do not like

1st of all, he looks like Doug Jolley. On top of that, he blocks like Jolley. And he plays like Jolley in the sense that he was a total underachiever at Miami. Maybe it was due to horrid QB play at miami, no doubt his numbers would be better if he had a better QB to throw him the ball in college, but that only goes so far.

He might be really really good, or he might be Doug Jolley. If he goes to a team like the Saints, he'd be a nice fit there.

I'd only consider him at 25 if he was the BAP, and I do not see that happening. However, dont expect him to put up #s with Chad Pennington throwing him the ball. Penny doesnt have the arm to hit the TEs, its not his game.

I'm guessing you guys didn't see Olsen's workout ?

I don't know if you mean his workout was great or horrible but either way the jets don't need to be drafting a TE this high. It's very counterproductive when you have as many holes as the jets do.

I don't know if you mean his workout was great or horrible but either way the jets don't need to be drafting a TE this high. It's very counterproductive when you have as many holes as the jets do.

It was great. What happened to your boy in your sig, you know who I'm talking about. :)

" The #1 Priority "

It was great. What happened to your boy in your sig, you know who I'm talking about. :)

" The #1 Priority "

Well it became pretty obvious the jets weren't signing him...

Speaking of sigs you should listen to yours. The Jets need Blalock a hell of a lot more then a TE.

Please NO! We have much more pressing needs and drafting TEs have had its way of biting us in the a**!

if the jets keep living in the past they will never succeed. it's not like we are waisting a top 10 pick

it is a Jets franchise curse - avoid the first round TE! Woooooo!

curses dont exist. only stupid ppl who beleive in them

Speaking of sigs you should listen to yours. The Jets need Blalock a hell of a lot more then a TE.

They can get a good offensive lineman later in the draft. Though Blalock would be a huge upgrade over what they have, the Jets would be better served by drafting one of the elite CB prospects or a serious pass rusher in the first round.

I'm starting to think they're targeting someone like Moss (who I'd be happy with), as much as I'd like to add Blalock.

We didn't sign a FA OLB. Only one we had serious talks with was Bowens & apparently we were unwiling to give a starter's contract to him.

We didn't lock up Hobson long-term.

Now one or both of these things may happen over the next month. But as it stands, it looks very calculated.

I'm starting to think they're targeting someone like Moss (who I'd be happy with), as much as I'd like to add Blalock.

We didn't sign a FA OLB. Only one we had serious talks with was Bowens & apparently we were unwiling to give a starter's contract to him.

Now one or both of these things may happen over the next month. But as it stands, it looks very calculated.

The same thing can be said about the CB position. Its gonna be one of these two positions in the first round and the other one, plus an O-lineman, in the second round. There is more second round talent at OLB (the hybrid sort) so I expect CB in the first round.

Still, Moss would be such an exciting pick.

I agree that Moss would be an exciting pick as well. But Olsen also makes a ton of sense. Blalock just sucks plain and simple. He is not even first round talent, imo.

And a player (Olson) that did exactly squat playing in college that happened to have a quick 40 is?

OMG no Olson would be a horrible pick. If by BPA- everyone means best player available he would not BPA in the 3rd round let alone the 1st.

However if by BPA you mean the finest workout warrior then hell yeah lets pick him.

He would not be a significant upgrade over Baker, besides in the last 5 years with Chad as a QB, the TE has hardly been used, what is going to change that?

And a player (Olson) that did exactly squat playing in college that happened to have a quick 40 is?

OMG no Olson would be a horrible pick. If by BPA- everyone means best player available he would not BPA in the 3rd round let alone the 1st.

However if by BPA you mean the finest workout warrior then hell yeah lets pick him.

He would not be a significant upgrade over Baker, besides in the last 5 years with Chad as a QB, the TE has hardly been used, what is going to change that?

Blalock is not the type of guard the Jets will draft, imo. His pulling ability is agerage at best in both workouts AND game film.

Olsen played against top competition with jack **** at QB. He is a top athlete. Baker is an average TE at best. TE is hardly used because Baker is smallish who gets litmited seperation. Get a big target over the middle who can both go up for balls and get seperation and you will see Chad use the TE more. I wouldn't even put baker in the top 15 for TE's. I would put all these guys ahead of him talent wise:

Tony G

Antonio Gates

Jason Witten

Todd Heap

Chris Cooley

Dallas Clark

Ben Watson

Alge Crumpler

LJ Smith

Heath Miller

Vernon Davis

Randy McMichael

Kellen Winslow

Owens Daniels

Jeremy Shockey

All of these guys are better and I can name about 5-10 more that you can make a legit argument are better.

How can anyone let the past dictate the future? So no matter what tight end is available to the Jets in the first round from here to the end of time is a bust? Yeah right.

Look, my first choice would be either a corner or someone on the defensive line. But if there is a higher rated player on the Jets draft board, why pass? Countless posts on here document Chad's inability to throw the deep out to a receiver. Chad's strength is across the middle, with short to medium-range passes. This is exactly where a play-making tight end comes in. A TE adds that dimension the Jets have been lacking for years. I don't think Baker is the answer, either. Enough time has been wasted on him.

If Olsen is sitting there when the Jets go to the podium, I'll be happy if he gets selected.

Corner, O-Line, D-line - sure.

TE - No. Never. NO NO NO NO NOOOO!

Baker is fine for now, work on the real problems first.

Corner, O-Line, D-line - sure.

TE - No. Never. NO NO NO NO NOOOO!

Baker is fine for now, work on the real problems first.

I would like the Jets to go defense with the #1 pick, no doubt. All I'm saying is if the top defensive players on the Jets board are gone by #25 and Olsen is still sitting there, then go for it.

Blalock is not the type of guard the Jets will draft, imo. His pulling ability is agerage at best in both workouts AND game film.

Olsen played against top competition with jack **** at QB. He is a top athlete. Baker is an average TE at best. TE is hardly used because Baker is smallish who gets litmited seperation. Get a big target over the middle who can both go up for balls and get seperation and you will see Chad use the TE more. I wouldn't even put baker in the top 15 for TE's. I would put all these guys ahead of him talent wise:

Tony G

Antonio Gates

Jason Witten

Todd Heap

Chris Cooley

Dallas Clark

Ben Watson

Alge Crumpler

LJ Smith

Heath Miller

Vernon Davis

Randy McMichael

Kellen Winslow

Owens Daniels

Jeremy Shockey

All of these guys are better and I can name about 5-10 more that you can make a legit argument are better.

Great they have more talent then Baker . IMO Baker was used more in blocking schemes than as a receiver. Whenever he has been called upon to make a catch or used more as a receiver he seems to make plays.

Fact remains Olson was an under achieving TE in college football against weaker competition than he will see in the Pro's. So he had a mediocre QB. What do you think he is going to get with Chad? he sure as hell is no gunslinger. We traded up for a combine commando 3 years ago, look what that got us?

IMO players that run great 40's but are mediocre players are not the BPA available. I have different philosophy then you I suppose. If he is such a great athlete, i think that should translate to his play on the field no matter the short comings of a QB. difference of opinion.

I was not arguing if Blalock is a good choice. Quite frankly I have never really watched him play. Football is won in the trenches. I really think the Jets biggest deficiencies are on both sides of the line and for the Jets to become elite it will not be by drafting an underachieving TE that happens to be a good athlete.

Great they have more talent then Baker iyo. IMO Baker was used more in blocking schemes than as a receiver. Whenever he has been called upon to make a catch or used more as a receiver he seems to make plays.

Fact remains Olson was an under achieving TE in college football against weaker competition than he will see in the Pro's. So he had a mediocre QB. What do you think he is going to get with Chad? he sure as hell is no gunslinger. We traded up for a combine commando 3 years ago, look what that got us?

IMO players that run great 40's but are mediocre players are not the BPA available. I have different philosophy then you I suppose. If he is such a great athlete, i think that should translate to his play on the field no matter the short comings of a QB. difference of opinion.

I was not arguing if Blalock is a good choice. Quite frankly I have never really watched him play. Football is won in the trenches. I really think the Jets biggest deficiencies are on both sides of the line and for the Jets to become elite it will not be by drafting an underachieving TE that happens to be a good athlete.

When was the last time you saw Baker run away from a defender? Like Chad or not if he is given a good TE he would use him. A TE is most often a check down receiver which is perfect for Chad. But if you have a TE that is not big and does not get seperation it is kinda hard to use him. And if you are a Clemens fan you should love the Olsen pick as he will have a years experience before Clemens starts or they could grow up together. Nothing is better for a young QB that a TE you can check down to. You see it doesn't make sense that you say Chad doesn't have the arm to use a TE when a TE is mostly a check down player. But a great athlete of a TE can make some money down the seem as well - but he doesn't make all his money there.

I agree that football is won in the trenches which a TE also plays in. Again Olsen isn't the only guy I would want - but of the players who would most likely be available he is in the top 2 or 3.

Its def possible we go OLB in the 1st rd - perhaps not Moss though, he is alittle shady.

I think we go CB (or BAP maybe a WR or even Olsen if they like him). OLB can be had in the 2nd rd.

As for Blalock, he definetly doesnt "suck", I dont know what games of his you've been watching sherry. However, I'm not sure I could stomach taking another Olineman (a G at that) in the 1st rd, as there are Guards we can get later in the draft. I think Blalock will be a very solid guard, but a shawn andrews he is not. Not to mention, Olineman from Texas usually suck and bust in the NFL.

When was the last time you saw Baker run away from a defender? Like Chad or not if he is given a good TE he would use him. A TE is most often a check down receiver which is perfect for Chad. But if you have a TE that is not big and does not get seperation it is kinda hard to use him. And if you are a Clemens fan you should love the Olsen pick as he will have a years experience before Clemens starts or they could grow up together. Nothing is better for a young QB that a TE you can check down to. You see it doesn't make sense that you say Chad doesn't have the arm to use a TE when a TE is mostly a check down player. But a great athlete of a TE can make some money down the seem as well - but he doesn't make all his money there.

I agree that football is won in the trenches which a TE also plays in. Again Olsen isn't the only guy I would want - but of the players who would most likely be available he is in the top 2 or 3.

I guess we can run around in circles. I want no part of Olson. I have watched enough UM games because of buddies to make me puke. I do not believe he is an upgrade over Baker. I happen to think part of his lack of numbers are on Chad. BTW, I am not a Chad hater but think his limitations make it difficult for a hybrid (in between Receiver/blocker) TE like Baker to succeed with huge numbers.

I am quite comfortable in the fact that Baker is sufficient enough till the FO makes the Oline and Dline better in that they can compete with NE for instance. I do not see TE as critical to winning the trenches. They are complimentary for sure but critical not in my eyes.

If you think Olsen is a good enough player/athlete whatever to be in the Gates/Gonzalez reciever class. It is all opinion anyway then draft him. I would love to be wrong about him.

I happen to think he is nowhere close to that class and absolutely despise the fact anyone can mention his name, a first round pick and the Jets in the same sentence. Again I can respectively agree to disagree with you.

Archived