Broncos cut Courtney Brown

BP

March 19, 2007 - 4:18PM

The Denver Broncos released oft-injured defensive end Courtney Brown, the first overall pick of the 2000 NFL draft, on Monday.

Brown missed all 16 games last season. He had knee surgery in August and was supposed to return during the first month of the season, but the knee was slow to heal. Denver put him on injured reserve on Oct. 11. He had a bone-on-bone condition in his knee and had microfracture surgery after being placed on IR.

Brown was selected first overall by the Cleveland Browns but played only 31 games over his last four seasons in Cleveland because of knee, biceps, ankle and foot injuries. He played 14 games for the Broncos in 2005 but couldn

Another guy that never lived up to his billing.

I think the word 'curse' gets thrown around way too often these days but Cleveland might actually be cursed. The draft being a crapshoot I understand, hindsight is 20/20 etc. but just check out who Cleveland could have drafted that year with the #1 overall pick:

1 Cleveland Courtney Brown DE Penn State

2 Washington LaVar Arrington OLB Penn State

3 Washington Chris Samuels T Alabama

4 Cincinnati Peter Warrick WR Florida State

5 Baltimore Jamal Lewis RB Tennessee

6 Philadelphia Corey Simon DT Florida State

7 Arizona Thomas Jones RB Virginia

8 Pittsburgh Plaxico Burress WR Michigan State

9 Chicago Brian Urlacher MLB New Mexico

10 Baltimore Travis Taylor WR Florida

11 N.Y. Giants Ron Dayne RB Wisconsin

12 N.Y. Jets Shaun Ellis DE Tennessee

13 N.Y. Jets John Abraham DE South Carolina

14 Green Bay Bubba Franks TE Miami

15 Denver Deltha O'Neal CB California

16 San Francisco Julian Peterson OLB Michigan State

17 Oakland Sebastian Janikowski K Florida State

18 N.Y. Jets Chad Pennington QB Marshall

19 Seattle Shaun Alexander RB Alabama

20 Detroit Stockar McDougle T Oklahoma

21 Kansas City Sylvester Morris WR Jackson State

22 Seattle Chris McIntosh OLB Wisconsin

23 Carolina Rashard Anderson CB Jackson State

24 San Francisco Ahmed Plummer CB Ohio State

25 Minnesota Chris Hovan DT Boston College

26 Buffalo Erik Flowers DE Arizona State

27 N.Y. Jets Anthony Becht TE West Virginia

28 Indianapolis Rob Morris MLB Brigham Young

29 Jacksonville R. Jay Soward WR Southern California

30 Tennessee Keith Bulluck OLB Syracuse

31 St. Louis Trung Canidate RB Arizona

LOL @ Peter Warrick. umm the highlights of that draft were def. Urlacher and Alexander. who the **** is sylvester morris? i never heard of him till now lol

That's the name that really jumped out at me when I posted this, I was like "who the f is this guy?" This happens every year though, the draft, she is not easy.

i never heard of Rashard Anderson and Jay Soward either lol. Jackson St. must have been popular. umm Becht............ what a bad pick thats one of the reasons we shouldnt draft a TE in the 1st round :D

I dont recall anderson, But Morris actually had a good rookie year and then suffered a series of injuries beginning in camp his second season. I beleive Soward was a head case, lots of trouble with the law.

The first 5 out of 6 picks were flat out busts considering the place they were selected. Only Jamal Lewis lived up to his billing. The Jets did pretty good in that round, 2 pro bowl type DE's and a solid starting QB. Becht sucked though.

Archived