ASANTE SAMUEL REQUESTING TRADE

Pragmatic Bus

great point man,, you are right, ,it keeps a player but cause dussension on lockeroom and huddle

Actually it's gotten to the point where it doesn't even keep the player. Recently, franchised players have just threatened to sit out and there's not really a whole lot teams can do about it.

Yes, but the non-exclusive tag weighs too much in favor of the teams. The either need to get rid of this option all together or tweak the compensation. Two first is usually too rich for most players, the owners know that, that's why they choose to go this route instead of the exclusive tag.

That is the Patriots problem how? I hear what you are saying, but the players have had ample opportunity to change that. They just renegotiated the CBA within the last two years. It is still there. The players have chosen to give teams that benefit in exchange for other monetary gains.

pats spent a bunch of coin on Thomas and should have paid Asante first. The tag was put in place to give teams more time to work out Longterm deals.

pats f'd this up. no 2 ways around it. He should sit for 10 games then get paid in 2008 like clements

Why? Samuel has a contract offer on the table. If it is the non-exclusive tender, he has the right to negotiate with other teams. Is it the Patriots problem that other teams do not feel he is worth two firsts? I like Samuel, but he was not the top CB on the market. That was Clements. Samuel is a real good CB, but not in the mold of Bailey.

asante is just the beginning - there will be more players that start asking for "adelius" money now that the pats have shown a willingness to shell out big $ for free agents. wilfork and warren's contracts are coming up and seymour always wants more $. i really hope samuel doesn't get traded, plays this season out of shape and disgruntled and then leaves next year as a free agent. i hate seeing the pats accumulate more 1st rd picks.

I think he saw what Nate Clements got and wants that, I dont think it has anything to do with what they gave Thomas.

Who could blame the guy, he can make 7 million in one year or triple that and have a contract in place for years to come... you would have to be a moron not to fight for a better deal if a team out there is willing to pay... good for him..

Why is it when players are cut and such, the excuse "its a business" is used... then when a player treats it like a business they get bashed???

That is the Patriots problem how? I hear what you are saying, but the players have had ample opportunity to change that. They just renegotiated the CBA within the last two years. It is still there. The players have chosen to give teams that benefit in exchange for other monetary gains.

Of course it's not the Patriots problem. I'm sure they, like every other NFL team, love this option. I highly doubt that the players and the union are choosing this though. It's probably more of a pick your battles type of thing. We all know that it's the owners and the league who truly hold all the cards, and since this only affects a handful of players a year, the union doesn't push.

How's he being hosed? He was franchised which means he must be paid the average of the top five (?) db's in the league...that is seven million beans. Jeez - I wish someone would hose me like that.

Playing like crap, however, will definitely command big bucks the following season when he's a free agent. Wow. :rolleyes:

This is what I think they should do. Tell him to go _ _ _ _ himself. Play or sit. Whatever. Personally, these whiney primadonna's are starting to get on my nerves.

I think he is kinda screwed - he had what 10 INTs? so his value is thru the roof right now and him being franchised was exactly what he did not need when his value was so high.

Think he will get 10 INTs or more next season? what if he only gets 3 then yes he is royally screwed

I never said he wouldn't demand to be traded, I said he wouldn't hold out. I expect Samuel to do everything in his power to get a long term deal or get out without sacrificing the franchise money. I don't see it as an attitude problem or poison in the lockerroom. The guy wants a long-term deal. One with a real signing bonus where he doesn't have to worry about losing all his money if he gets hurt. I'd expect him to report and do the minimum necessary to get his franchise money. All in all, good news for us and the first sign him might hold out like Chad said. Anybody that doesn't want a guy for doing this is a somebody that won't want anybody that has been franchised.

do u ever read your post man. well it doesn't matter because he is holding out

why is there no bonus of guaranteed money associated with the tag. I mean 7 mil a year with something like a mill bonus and the inability to be tagged two seasons in a row would be a simple solution to this problem.

why is there no bonus of guaranteed money associated with the tag. I mean 7 mil a year with something like a mill bonus and the inability to be tagged two seasons in a row would be a simple solution to this problem.

The tag is guaranteed money. Asante could blow out his knee in the 1st game and he would get the $7 mill for the season.

The Players Association has agreed to the the Franchise Tag in the last 2 contract negotiations.

The tag is guaranteed money. Asante could blow out his knee in the 1st game and he would get the $7 mill for the season.

The Players Association has agreed to the the Franchise Tag in the last 2 contract negotiations.

franchise tag should be 2 or 3 years. so the team donnt tag players willy nilly

Good point. In the past only kickers and Offensive lineman were tagged. Now that the salary cap has risen so much the teams have no choice but to tag their skill position guys.

Good idea.

In order for the players to buy into it, I think it would have to be guranteed though. 2 years-7.7 per. It would be a decent motivation for both sides to get a deal done.

Archived